Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

1 minute ago, Farkimedes said:

Dez reiterated twice today he wanted to take a pay cut to stay with the organization, but wasn’t given the option.

So I’d definitely love to hear more about how this was a pure financial decision when the player wasn’t even offered a chance to restructure and then didn’t make it a post June 1 cut. 

He was on the record saying he wouldn't restructure his contract.... it's pretty easy to change your tune after the fact.  I don't doubt if he was pushed or cajoled, he may have reconsidered, but with all his baggage, it seems Stephen convinced Daddy it was time to move on and save some money.

According to the Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill, Bryant responded "probably not" and then "hell no" when asked Wednesday if he'd consider taking a pay cut ahead of the 2018 season.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He was on the record saying he wouldn't restructure his contract.... it's pretty easy to change your tune after the fact.  I don't doubt if he was pushed or cajoled, he may have reconsidered, but with all his baggage, it seems Stephen convinced Daddy it was time to move on and save some money.

Absolutely, which is why they waited until June 1st to maximize that savings ...........

sorry, I agree with you. I just think this was an atrocious decision. These bumbleducks were reported to be offering Sammy Watkins 16 million.

dallas now has the second highest dead cap number in 2018 behind Buffalo at 23 million I believe. 

Edited by Farkimedes

8 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

Absolutely, which is why they waited until June 1st to maximize that savings ...........

sorry, I agree with you. I just think this was an atrocious decision. These bumbleducks were reported to be offering Sammy Watkins 16 million.

dallas now has the second highest dead cap number in 2018 behind Buffalo at 23 million I believe. 

Obviously they are planning to just take the big cap hit this year to get rid of Dez and Romo's money and clear space for next year. Depending on how well they draft for depth this coming season is probably Beasley, Williams, and Witten's last one too.

• Like 1

0.0000% chance Dez would take a paycut if offered. He is full of shit saying that after the fact when he pretty much said no fucking way leading up to this. Don't change your tune now to try and get the sympathy card.

And this was never about saving money. Well they got money freed up but it went way deeper than that. They had enough of him. If he was still producing like he did in his prime, then they would have probably kept him around. He was doing the same shit back in his productive days but he performed so they kept him around. I advocated to let him walk when he was holding out. But they signed him to that extension because they felt his production outweighed his antics. That isn't the case anymore.

The Fecals would be a better match than Redskins or 'Ginas. They seem to love throwing a lot of money at overpriced free agents. And their receivers still suck. Wentz will need more targets since he's a cripple now and can't run.

Its complicated....the ones saying 100% one way or the other are just wrong

Cowboys lost a good player today and the offense is worse for it

And if they are even thinking of a wr in rd1 we are done...how many games do yall want to see lost 35-38 or romo and offense scoring 48 and losing

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was always told "a closed mouth is a far better negotiating tactic"... Bryant should have at least listened to the offer to see how it helps the team if he accepted...

9 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

And if they are even thinking of a wr in rd1 we are done...how many games do yall want to see lost 35-38 or romo and offense scoring 48 and losing

Dallas lost a good player from three years ago, now he is average.

16 hours ago, Dog Zazz said:

To be fair a scrub came in and won the SB, didn’t really skip a beat.

Sure, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that Wentz will probably be one of, if not the best qb in the league for the next 10 years if he can come back from this knee injury as the same guy. He's way too talented for anyone to call him a scrub. 

It makes sense with us not waiting until post June 1 that we are gonna make a run at ET. And CBS mocked him to us for a 2nd and 4th saying the market isn't what Seattle thought it would be. Also Mike Fisher just confirmed we are gonna make a run at him on Twitter

1 hour ago, cls0329 said:

It makes sense with us not waiting until post June 1 that we are gonna make a run at ET. And CBS mocked him to us for a 2nd and 4th saying the market isn't what Seattle thought it would be. Also Mike Fisher just confirmed we are gonna make a run at him on Twitter

That would be terrible value..... especially for a guy with only 1 more year of team control.

That would be terrible value..... especially for a guy with only 1 more year of team control.

Yes, I'm sure it would be really hard to sign the guy that publicly said he wanted to be a Cowboy after Seattle

He's a possible future HOF safety that's only 28 years old

I think Earl would be great here, but far too pricey in both salary and what the SeaFecals are likely to want in compensation.

Plus, I'm not crazy about a guy who goes into an opponent's lockerroom and beg a team to take him while he's still got years on his contract.

They were fishing for a first round pick for him. Fuck that shit.

I'd maybe give up a four. The Cowboys need a big draft to fill multiple crucial needs, or at least try. It's not the time to start throwing away picks, even though the Cowboys will probably throw them away on shitty picks anyway.

Sure, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that Wentz will probably be one of, if not the best qb in the league for the next 10 years if he can come back from this knee injury as the same guy. He's way too talented for anyone to call him a scrub. 

That's a pretty bold prediction for a guy was has not accomplished jack shit. What has he did that Dak hasn't? Well besides have one of the better defenses in the league to rely on. And a really good coaching staff.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:11 PM, Farkimedes said:

And most of that should be gone by next year. They’re eating most of their dead money this year after the team is roughly done adding players except for the draft 

21 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I agree with the first part. Kind of meh on the second. Dez wasn’t that productive last year(regardless of the reason). His production won’t be that hard to replace. Might even be able to improve it. 

And while I agree they shouldn’t draft a WR first round, im not sure what you’re trying to say in your last paragraph.  They don’t play games like that. The offense will do what it does, run the clock and be methodical(and boring I bet) keeping the defense off the field so much. The defense isn’t going to be bad(it wasn’t last year except for the games Lee missed as usual) and IMO should actually be better with all those 2nd end 3rd Yeat players improving. 

Plus theyre goint to add def players early, even if they use a first on WR or OG. 

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I would assume they work out an extension before the trade is completely done(of course if they wait until the 2nd round to do the deal they won’t have that opportunity). 

I feel like a 2nd and a 4th(they have 2 this year) isn’t a bad value as long as the extension isn’t too crazy. Something like 3 years in the price range he wants, front loaded so it won’t hurt them at the end of his career. Safeties can play much longer thanost positions so I’m not worried about his age n

Edited by Drew

Second part is just me saying im tired of not having a defense drew...and yes during the romo years we lost games when we scored 28+ points

I remember when we had defenses that mauled teams...i want that again 

So if they go offense with 1st pick i will be bummed....still salty about not drafting ramsey and jack 

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I think I'd still prefer to draft a safety in the second round and stay cheap and young, hopefully get another player or two with the picks they didn't spend on him.

I’m not against that at all, provided they find a starting Safety there. 

We also could be missing something. Could just be a case of the cowboys being high on woods in his second year and Frazier going into this 3rd. 

But if all it took was a 2nd and a late round pick(probably later than a 4th to make it sweeter for us) I wouldn’t hate it. Anything higher than an extra 5th would be too much as we can find players in those rounds to contribute(like Collins, Browns, and Woods recently, and Hitchens several years ago. 

9 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Second part is just me saying im tired of not having a defense drew...and yes during the romo years we lost games when we scored 28+ points

I remember when we had defenses that mauled teams...i want that again 

So if they go offense with 1st pick i will be bummed....still salty about not drafting ramsey and jack 

Oh I get that. But they don’t have to spend their first rounder on defense this year(even though I would want them too). 

This defense isn’t really all that bad, especially with the DLine looking to be pretty deep and talented going into this year before the draft. Really it’s just LB. obviously when Lee goes out they’re doomed, and we have to find a way to stop that. 

Ive seen a lot of people say they don’t want to waste 19 on a LB and I just don’t get that. This team needs one. Not because it means they’ve given up on Smith or just because they can’t trust Lee to stay healthy. You just need 3 good ones for whatever situation arises. Adding another one in the middle rounds wouldn’t hurt either. 

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Good lord Dez is such a bitch. Predictably starting to slam the Cowboys now and nothing is his fault.

Wanting to play within the division to make the cowboys pay for cutting him.

82eaa64164e14b6e760476ee4b7393e9.jpg

I don’t understand “Garrett guys”. I mean how many years has Garrett been the coach? He a Wade Phillips guy? But sure. This guy isn’t a locker room cancer. GL scoring 4 TDs next season and bitching about not getting the ball enough

On 4/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, Farkimedes said:

Why would you consider that bad? 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I’m not against that at all, provided they find a starting Safety there. 

We also could be missing something. Could just be a case of the cowboys being high on woods in his second year and Frazier going into this 3rd. er. 

I have no problem with the development of these guys, but none of them are the coverage type that the Cowboys lack and desperately need.