Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

dak did pretty good last season didnt he. take away his best receiver and watch the lol 
Oh you mean the time Dez missed in 2016 and this team won every game with great offensive efficiency. Lmao.

Dak doesn't need Dez and frankly, doesn't want him I'd suspect. Zeke and this OL is what is important to Dez, not fucking Dez.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

If they didn't offer him a pay cut but are moving him before June 1st then why wait this long? 

I think it’s purely Jerry. He loved Dez and didn’t want to let him go. While everyone else was saying it’s time. 

Front office finally is making sound football decisions and they still look bad because of waiting so long. Can’t wait until Jerry is not the final voice. 

Dak needs top level blocking and a dynamic running game as well as receivers who are consistent in their routes and don't let multiple passes bounce off their hands to be intercepted in a season. He also needs to just grow as a quarterback and recognizing what defenses do on the fly and how to beat it. 

A diva receiver who throws sissy fits on the sidelines and runs lazy routes if he doesn't get a bunch of targets early in the first quarter and yet still counts 16 million against the cap isn't what he needs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

Releasing Dez Bryant is what stupid teams do. Dallas is a stupid team, so of course they released him. 

For the "Dez never got open crowd", if you're curious you can check out WR Average YDS of Separation in 2017 which is a good ( not great, but certainly not bad ) indicator of how "open" a guy was. A few names from that list . . . 

1. Antonio Brown - 2.6 yards
  2. Dez Bryant - 2.4 yards 
  3. A.J. Green - 2.4 yards
  4. Gronk - 2.2 yards
  5. DeAndre Hopkins - 2.1 yards
  6. Mike Evans - 2.1
  7. Alshon Jeffrey - 1.8

Also, anyone that references 2015 in regards to Dez's stats is just being flagrantly dishonest and should be ignored. 

Disagree completely. Releasing overpaid and underperforming players is exactly what good teams do. They just took to long to do it(once again Jerry is a road block imo). 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Meh.... we did the same thing with Demarcus and Emmitt.... Let's no oversell this.  

I personally don’t think Jerry had the same affinity toward Ware as he did to Romo and Dez. They cut him early and held on to these 2 later than they’d should  have. 

Also, enmity was more of a Bill decision iirc. 

2 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

Stupid teams keep rolling over an injury prone QB's cap money.

Stupid teams sign OT's to ten year deals the continually restructure the deal so that it's somehow more expensive because they never have the cap in a working condition.

Stupid teams draft a RB in the top 5 when there was a "once every 5 years" quality CB on the board right behind him.

Stupid teams overpay their mediocre internal performers (T-Will / Crawford / Scandrick/ on and on ).

Stupid teams take risks in the 2nd round when the rest of the NFL has learned you need the surest thing possible because of how cheap the contract is ( basically everyone the last 5 years ).

Stupid teams ignore 2 of the 3 ways you can make your roster better (trades / free agents / draft). Dallas deals only with the draft.

Stupid teams prioritize window maximization over long term team quality.

Stupid teams cut a great WR when they have huge holes to fill elsewhere and no viable way to fill that hole for the next season.

For some reason I can't understand, Dallas has a history under Jerry Jones of unbelievable moronic WR moves. Cutting Dez this offseason. Over paying for T-WIll. The Miles Austin contract. the Laugh Out Loud putrid Roy Williams trade. The indescribably stupid Roy Williams contract extension. The overpay for Owens. The unspeakable Galloway trade. The "have y'all even watched football the last 3 seasons?" move w/ Rocket Ishmail.

The Dallas Cowboys are America's team.

America is stupid.

Therefore, the Dallas Cowboys are a stupid team.

Yeah none of this is right. I know you’re mad but cmon man. 

1 hour ago, Farkimedes said:

They aren't even cutting him post June 1st.

https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/984837866198007809

This was an organizational tug of war, not a well thought out decision. Fucking retards.

1 hour ago, Farkimedes said:

I would disagree that it's a horrible tracked stat. Rather, I think it's somethign that's much more dependent on how opposing teams cover specific WRs than can be adequately covered in a single stat.

Look, I'm the douchebag that pays $70 a year so I can watch all the NFL games w/ the coaches tape. I don't have a specific number to quantify how open Dez was last season, but I also watched every single play he made last season w/ the coaches tape. That motherfucker was open. A lot. 

Yeah I’d trust Patrick on this one. 

14 minutes ago, buffalobill989 said:

dak did pretty good last season didnt he. take away his best receiver and watch the lol 

Dak looked good until week 8. Then what happened?  You took away his best offensive linemen and had no one to replace him. Oh and Zeke. He’s lost Dez several times an seven fine. 

3 hours ago, DougO said:

It's not. Beasley fell off the map and Williams became even less of a factor. Hurns isn't that guy by any stretch. He needs somebody else to draw coverage to be successful. They have nobody remaining to replace the only guy that could make a play. They needed to get one first, and phase out Dez, who could have served as a very good number 2 possession receiver in the short term. They should have started finding their new go-two guy two years ago.

A lot of that happened due to the loss at left guard and Tyron being hurt combined with the Zeke suspension.  Zeke averaged more than 1 yard less per carry last year compared to the year before.  3rd and 4 became 3rd and 6.  That allowed people to bracket cover Beasley.  

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

Disagree completely. Releasing overpaid and underperforming players is exactly what good teams do. They just took to long to do it(once again Jerry is a road block imo). 

Look everyone get's that you gargle the ball sweat of literally anything you've ever remotely taken an interest in, and it's rapidly coming back to me why I had you blocked on shaggy. But this is not what "good teams do". Good teams release underperforming players . . . like Witten, who sucks. Or T-Will, who also sucks and has a similar dead cap number to Dez.

Yeah none of this is right. I know you’re mad but cmon man. 

You're more than welcome to make an actual argument instead of felating every member of the Cowboys Front Office.

I don't actually give a fuck?

Dak looked good until week 8. Then what happened?  You took away his best offensive linemen and had no one to replace him. Oh and Zeke. He’s lost Dez several times an seven fine. 

You mean week 10, the Atlanta game, unless you were unhappy with the 33 points they scored against the Redskins. Look, Dak was great in 2016 and really good in 2017 when he was working off of Play Action. He's been very mediocre when he's working straight drop back. Now, that's true of a lot of QBs, so that's not some huge knock against him. But Dak's problem in the 2nd half of last season was that he was just really really bad on regular drop backs that had nothing to do w/ play action. He went from "OK" to putrid, and despite what people seem to think, he still had a good OL last season. No, he didn't have the best OL in the league, but he still had a league average to slightly above league average line with Smith out.

3 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm with Mackey on this. 2-3 years ago guys were shutting down the Cowboys' passing attack by bracketing Dez, so Beasley and Witten feasted. Williams has always been Williams. He is very average even as a #2 receiver. Last year (and part of the year before) guys were shutting down our offense by bracketing Beasley after it became clear Dez lost a step. His days of requiring a safety over the top and blanket coverage are over.

I've been pretty adamant for 2 years now that Dez need not be a focal point of the offense, for a mixture of reasons. Some of them on him, some of them on Dak, and some of them are just chemistry issues, but it's been apparent to me for 2 years that "get Dez into a rhythm, at any cost" was not a good offensive strategy. It caused forced passes from Dak to a receiver that sometimes wasn't open, sometimes wouldn't catch, or forced him into a throw that isn't his strong suit (Romo could float a jump ball to Dez, Dak isn't nearly as adept at that). Our offense was much more fluid relying on the ground game and then spreading the ball around to Beasley/Witten/Dez/Williams/whoever. But it was set up by the run game 1st, and the ability of everyone on the team to play to their strengths was sustainable. That's when our offense has been good.

You're pretty much echoing my long term sentiments rather than opposing them. Dez clearly was not going to lead them to the promised land, and none of the other spares were damn sure going to do it. It was time than to start finding new recevers. Now they're pretty much starting from scratch. Dez could have been a valuable number 2 while they were stuck with him. Now they pretty much have a stable of threes, gimmick players, a couple of journeyman special teams types, and possibly a rookie that will keep them from getting a top safety or DT.

They don't even have a backup running back now as insurance to rely on the running game, which was also necessary for insurance against a defense full of major flaws.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
11 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:
Cutting Dez is a mistake made in classic Cowboy fashion.

No. Keeping players who aren't performing and is an issue with the team would be classic Cowboys. Finally they don't have this blind loyalty. Only if they took this stance with Witten.

Both are correct.

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:
Cutting Dez is a mistake made in classic Cowboy fashion.

No. Keeping players who aren't performing and is an issue with the team would be classic Cowboys. Finally they don't have this blind loyalty. Only if they took this stance with Witten.

As of now our best reciever is an often injured Jaguar release. Maybe he comes in and makes us forget Dez, but I wouldn’t count on it with this clown of a HC and OC.

47 minutes ago, DougO said:

You're pretty much echoing my long term sentiments rather than opposing them. Dez clearly was not going to lead them to the promised land, and none of the other spares were damn sure going to do it. It was time than to start finding new recevers. Now they're pretty much starting from scratch. Dez could have been a valuable number 2 while they were stuck with him. Now they pretty much have a stable of threes, gimmick players, a couple of journeyman special teams types, and possibly a rookie that will keep them from getting a top safety or DT.

They don't even have a backup running back now as insurance to rely on the running game, which was also necessary for insurance against a defense full of major flaws.

Rob Smith is going to be the back up RB.

37 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

As of now our best reciever is an often injured Jaguar release. Maybe he comes in and makes us forget Dez, but I wouldn’t count on it with this clown of a HC and OC.

Bryant vs. Hurns, 2015-2017
Player Games played Receptions Yards Touchdowns
Dez Bryant 38 150 2,035 17
Allen Hurns 36 138 1,993 15

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hurns is the WR Dez is but is 3 or 4 times the WR he is?  I agree we need to make another move and get another guy that can make plays on the ball.  We'll probably look towards the draft.  If not, then we'll see a lot of stacked boxes especially on 1st down where we're very direct in our play calling.

Word from Cowboy Fish is basically what I said earlier that the room was tired of his shit and putting up with him so they definitely weren't interested in putting up with his increased level of shit if he took a pay cut. 

Since Fish is an unapologetic Cowboy's mouthpiece I wonder if this is just Cowboys spin or if now that he's gone they're ok with telling the truth about how big of an asshole he was. I think the latter because all of the aspects of this thing point that way, but who knows. 

He's on with Jane Slater and in a roundabout way said it was the captains and other "Garrett guys" who pushed the move with the Cowboy coaches. The captains stuff because he mentioned "you wear the C on your chest". 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

Well Dez basically confirmed it now doing an interview and saying basically guys on the team who were "Garrett guys" and people with C's on their jerseys backstabbed him and wanted him off the team. I'm thinking Witten and Dak said GTFO

He's going full TO now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He's on with Jane Slater and in a roundabout way said it was the captains and other "Garrett guys" who pushed the move with the Cowboy coaches. The captains stuff because he mentioned "you wear the C on your chest". 

Captains were Dak, Witten, Tyrone Crawford, Dan Bailey, Scandrick, and Lee. 

We can cross off Scandrick and I would think Bailey. Crawford prob doesnt produce enough to matter. The others I can see all wanting his BS gone.  

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Danny on The Ticket said the guys who wore that in 2017 were Dak, Witten, T.Crawford, Bailey, Lee and Scandrick. So there are your "Garrett Guys". 

He's such a fucking clown. And that immature, woe is me interview is a big reason why they didn't even want to offer him a paycut to stay here. Many people from the players to the coaches to the front office have had enough of his act. It went well beyond with his diminished skills and production. Saying he knows who are the ones who don't like him and he will send a text letting them know. You were cut by your own doing. Suck it up and move on dumb ass. You are proving the stigma that has been attached to your name for all your career. That you are some egotistical, immature cry baby who only cares about his own stats.

And of course he had to run to social media to get the sympathy from the fans and players to boost his ego.

So glad this clown is finally gone. Good riddance.

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't see how you can say he's gone full TO. The man got his feelings hurt, and he's always been a vocal guy. TO was a one of a kind type of cancer. Dez is not that. He probably needed to go regardless of whether or not we offered him a pay cut.

Except TO is a HOFer. Dez is far from that. And you underestimate the problem Dez was behind the scenes. Besides gamedays, he was constantly late to shit he needed to be at. His antics on the sideline. If you think TO was a cancer, Dez was every bit as bad with his shit.

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don't see how you can say he's gone full TO. The man got his feelings hurt, and he's always been a vocal guy. TO was a one of a kind type of cancer. Dez is not that. He probably needed to go regardless of whether or not we offered him a pay cut.

I say that because when TO was unexpectedly cut by Jerry he went off in the media railing about Romo and Witten and all that "Romo friendly" crap conspiring against him to get rid of him. Which they were because he was a giant asshole in the room. 

Now Dez is doing the exact same thing blaming "Garrett guys" and captains for getting Jerry to get rid of him. Which I'm sure they did because he's an annoying asshole and they're sick of it if he isn't even beating singke coverage or doing thi gs like showing up for treatment for supposed injuries he said he had. 

LOL at folks thinking Witten or Lee were going to be the driver on this decision.  This was a monetary decision.  A value decision.  He simply wasn't worth the money he was being paid and so they made a business decision.  I'm sure there was some input from some of the leaders on the team and certainly the coaching staff, but if the guy was putting up 85-1300-12 last year, he was gonna stay.  There were a lot of reasons for his decline in production and not all of them were on Dez, but enough of it was and it was time to make a change..... I wish him well (except when he's playing the Cowboys) and let's focus on how to make the team and positional group better.... because currently our WR group is below average.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Except TO is a HOFer. Dez is far from that. And you underestimate the problem Dez was behind the scenes. Besides gamedays, he was constantly late to shit he needed to be at. His antics on the sideline. If you think TO was a cancer, Dez was every bit as bad with his shit.

I'm not saying he is a HOF, but it's going to be hard to deny the all time leader in receiving TDs for a franchise like the Cowboys. I can't find the tweet, but the were talking about guys since the merger who have had more TDs than Dez in the 4th quarter or OT of a one score game, and the list is very short. Like 4 guys, all of which are HOF. 

With that being said, unless he catches on with a top 10 qb with pin point accuracy, his days in the NFL are numbered.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LOL at folks thinking Witten or Lee were going to be the driver on this decision.  This was a monetary decision.  A value decision.  He simply wasn't worth the money he was being paid and so they made a business decision.  I'm sure there was some input from some of the leaders on the team and certainly the coaching staff, but if the guy was putting up 85-1300-12 last year, he was gonna stay.  There were a lot of reasons for his decline in production and not all of them were on Dez, but enough of it was and it was time to make a change..... I wish him well (except when he's playing the Cowboys) and let's focus on how to make the team and positional group better.... because currently our WR group is below average.

That doesn't make much sense though because they aren't doing anything with the money this year. They cut him and and took the entire cap hit this year, and that's not a whole lot different financially on the cap than if they just let him play on his contract for this coming season and cut him next year.

To me that means they just don't want him around anymore, and that is the same story coming from Dez and the media. How hilarious would it be if old ass Witten was part of getting two mouthy diva receivers run out 10 years apart. 

I think that if Dez has been a true team player like Witten and not a “show ME the money guy” he would still be around. I think it is a positive move for the locker room that is trying to change the culture. Showing up late or not at all to meetings isn’t going to fly. Throwing fits bc balls weren’t thrown your way and creating huge distractions isn’t going to fly when you are no longer elite. Dez had elite talent. Had being the key word. And the diva thing that certain players have is not being tolerated. I’d rather have blue chip players who grind it out and work hard then a couple of stars who flash elite talent but who are poor teammates.

sorry for rambling. Go Cowboys! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSurly said:

Dez will use this as motivation and probably have a good year or two with someone else.  Doesn't matter, that wasn't going to happen in Dallas.

I don't doubt this. It will mostly be because another team is smart enough to figure out the best way to use him.

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This coming from the guy that said Cason Wentz was a scrub, and will always be a scrub, after his rookie year. Your judgement on anything football related speaks for itself.

To be fair a scrub came in and won the SB, didn’t really skip a beat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, In10se said:

Word from Cowboy Fish is basically what I said earlier that the room was tired of his shit and putting up with him so they definitely weren't interested in putting up with his increased level of shit if he took a pay cut. 

Since Fish is an unapologetic Cowboy's mouthpiece I wonder if this is just Cowboys spin or if now that he's gone they're ok with telling the truth about how big of an asshole he was. I think the latter because all of the aspects of this thing point that way, but who knows. 

Actually Fish is in his knees in front of Dez way more than the Cowboys team. 

Hes actually pretty hard on them, and has been extremely harsh on them about Dez. His friend. 

Uhhh Cole is dumb as fuck. Dez didn't say anything at all that got him cut. It was his diminished production over 3 years and his tired antics. Cole needs to worry about actually becoming a viable target. But him and TWill aren't long for this team. They are revamping that position.

Dez reiterated twice today he wanted to take a pay cut to stay with the organization, but wasn’t given the option.

So I’d definitely love to hear more about how this was a pure financial decision when the player wasn’t even offered a chance to restructure and then didn’t make it a post June 1 cut.