Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Draft a TE in the 2nd round that can actually gain a yard after the catch instead of just falling down

Won't matter. Until Witten is completely off this roster, our offense for whatever reason will heavily involve him. Meaning any other TE behind him won't get a serious shot. He needs the Emmitt Smith treatment. Want to keep playing? Cool. Just go play somewhere else to pad your stats and finish your career. He serves no purpose to this offense any longer. 

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Won't matter. Until Witten is completely off this roster, our offense for whatever reason will heavily involve him. Meaning any other TE behind him won't get a serious shot. He needs the Emmitt Smith treatment. Want to keep playing? Cool. Just go play somewhere else to pad your stats and finish your career. He serves no purpose to this offense any longer. 

I understand Witten's play has diminished, but he's still the best TE on this roster. We've drafted his so called replacement plenty of times (Fasano, Marty B, Hanna, Escobar, etc) and he's been better than all of them.  Hell, Witten's 560 yards last year put him 12th in the league.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I understand Witten's play has diminished, but he's still the best TE on this roster. We've drafted his so called replacement plenty of times (Fasano, Marty B, Hanna, Escobar, etc) and he's been better than all of them.  Hell, Witten's 560 yards last year put him 12th in the league.  

They misused Bennett. He was pretty productive with the Giants, Bears, and Patriots. Witten also averaged 6 YAC/game. A tight end that is a mismatch for LB's and get yards after catch would do wonders for the offense, especially since Dez is gone.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

They misused Bennett. He was pretty productive with the Giants, Bears, and Patriots. Witten also averaged 6 YAC/game. A tight end that is a mismatch for LB's and get yards after catch would do wonders for the offense, especially since Dez is gone.

bennett has never been better than witten.  he was used exactly as he should have been while he was here.  

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely false. Yes he needs be phased out, but you’re once agian being overdramatic by saying he adds no value whatsoever.  He’s still a security banker and catches everything. Yes he doesn’t do much else but that’s still valuable. 

They just need to force his ass off the field more. That’s the issue. He takes every snap. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Absolutely false. Yes he needs be phased out, but you’re once agian being overdramatic by saying he adds no value whatsoever.  He’s still a security banker and catches everything. Yes he doesn’t do much else but that’s still valuable. 

They just need to force his ass off the field more. That’s the issue. He takes every snap. 

I think that's his point. Witten needs to be gone since the coaches or jerry or whoever can't seem to be trusted with doing the right thing for the team and cutting his snaps by a lot. Especially if Swaim and Rico are healthy this year we really need to see what they have. 

Sort of like there's nothing wrong with a bottle of bourbon but an alcoholic needs to never have one around because he can't be trusted with it. 

• Like 1

Is anyone from Dallas going to Pluckers on Beltline next Thursday to watch the draft? I guess the Ticket radio guys will be there (prefer the Fan). Wasn't sure with the new board where this question should go. Just excited to watch the draft somewhere. Wonder if Courtland Sutton will be their second round pick. 

The problem with the 2nd TE is largely schematic, not really Witten.  We've drafted many TEs over time with an offseason desire to use them more, namely Bennett and Escobar.  These were unbelievabley stupid  misallocation of draft assets because we've never shown in the Red/Linehan offense, an ability to use a 2nd TE.  We don't play enough 2 TE sets especially when we need to generate some offense with our passing game.  The problem isn't simply we didn't use Bennett enough or Escobar was an fucking horrible pick, it's those guys weren't going to play enough to be productive anyway..... Until Witten retires, we should probably steer clear of using any type of valuable asset (first 4/5 round pick, big money UFA, trade, etc) on our 2nd TE.  Guys like Hanna, Swaim, and the big ugly Jarwin should be able to do enough in the limited role we give them....

3 hours ago, futureman said:

for it to be an important snap for him he’d have to have an important role, which he’s never had, ever.  he’s the definition of a warm body that can be replaced by any free agent TE available. 

The problem with that is the they have tried to replace him for years, and have not been able to do so.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The problem with the 2nd TE is largely schematic, not really Witten.  We've drafted many TEs over time with an offseason desire to use them more, namely Bennett and Escobar.  These were unbelievabley stupid  misallocation of draft assets because we've never shown in the Red/Linehan offense, an ability to use a 2nd TE.  We don't play enough 2 TE sets especially when we need to generate some offense with our passing game.  The problem isn't simply we didn't use Bennett enough or Escobar was an fucking horrible pick, it's those guys weren't going to play enough to be productive anyway..... Until Witten retires, we should probably steer clear of using any type of valuable asset (first 4/5 round pick, big money UFA, trade, etc) on our 2nd TE.  Guys like Hanna, Swaim, and the big ugly Jarwin should be able to do enough in the limited role we give them....

Partially correct. The Cowboys have been abysmal at gathering and developing TE talent. They actually used Bennett quite a bit until they got tired of him dropping catch after catch and missing block after block, when he was at least supposed to be a great blocker. He wasn't. He admitted himself he didn't learn the game until after he left the Cowboys. Cowboys TE acquisitions have been a parade of scrubs over the last decade.

32 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Until Witten retires, we should probably steer clear of using any type of valuable asset (first 4/5 round pick, big money UFA, trade, etc) on our 2nd TE.  

That's the whole point. Why wait until he retires? He wants to play till he's 40. I love Witten but it's time to move on.

43 minutes ago, DougO said:

Partially correct. The Cowboys have been abysmal at gathering and developing TE talent. They actually used Bennett quite a bit until they got tired of him dropping catch after catch and missing block after block, when he was at least supposed to be a great blocker. He wasn't. He admitted himself he didn't learn the game until after he left the Cowboys. Cowboys TE acquisitions have been a parade of scrubs over the last decade.

I guess it depends on what one defines as using or leveraging an asset.  Bennett's best year with Dallas he received 47 targets and caught 33 balls for 260 yards and 0 TDs.  That was his big season.  He learned the intricacies of the game just fine here, he simply bristled under the coaching mechanisms.  He was a terrible pick because he was young coming out and had well documented maturity issues.  He didn't take the game seriously nor respect it.  It took plays off.  He dropped balls.  He ran sloppy routes.  But he also learned how to practice, learned positioning and how to read defense here in Dallas.  He simply wasn't mature enough to be productive.  Let's face it, he was a fucking Jerry pick through and through.  Jerry's never understood or maybe even cared about how to build culture and a team.  It's why he's been a failure since Jimmy left.  Regardless, Marty B learned enough and was being taught the game but there's not enough room for an immature kid who only cared about scoring TDs and being on the field to really blossom.  Then again, some dudes are just assholes..... He was accused for quitting on Green Bay last offseason and reportedly most of the team hated him, so he was waived....

19 minutes ago, GOAT said:

That's the whole point. Why wait until he retires? He wants to play till he's 40. I love Witten but it's time to move on.

That's an entirely different point.  You can piss into the wind on this point.  I'm of the opinion, he'll retire here and the decision will probably be his.... Now I don't think that's necessarily the right decision, but I think it's the reality of the situation.  Dallas has so few truly "football legends" the last 20 years, you need some sort of ambassador and he works with Jerry/Stephen with his contract too.  Idk, his contract isn't up until 2021 and while I don't think he finishes it.  I could definitely see 2 more years in his eyes.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

11 hours ago, futureman said:

get the fuck outta here

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I typed the opposite. Damnit. Fan guys will be there (prefer the Ticket). Shit

I would say when it comes to the draft only Bob is worth listening too and in regards by to the draft.  Norm is obviously knowledgeable but a beating. 

Im actually to listen to both stations at time because Jeff and KT are really good at the draft from the fan as well. And after Bob stops, there’s no reason to listen to norm on the ticket all weekend. And after the first night Dane Brugled usually pops up on the Fan coverage and he’s really good. 

So obviously you listen to the ticket over the fan on a daily basis. But in regards to the draft the fan actually has some more knowledgeable guys breaking down the draft than everyone except Bob from the ticket.  I mean unless you can’t wait for Norms super exciting “name game” 

19 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Is anyone from Dallas going to Pluckers on Beltline next Thursday to watch the draft? I guess the Ticket radio guys will be there (prefer the Fan). Wasn't sure with the new board where this question should go. Just excited to watch the draft somewhere. Wonder if Courtland Sutton will be their second round pick. 

I’ll watch the draft in the same place I have since I was 15... the comfort of my couch. And I’ll spend the entirety of it within a 20 foot radius and question my priorities in life at the end of it.

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

I’ll watch the draft in the same place I have since I was 15... the comfort of my couch. And I’ll spend the entirety of it within a 20 foot radius and question my priorities in life at the end of it.

I see! Is it the same couch? 

17 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

No, I’ve since downgraded 

17 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

No, I’ve since downgraded 

To...(a van down by the river?) are y’all ok with Courtland Sutton? I can see Cowboys going there.

also heard some of the audio of the Cowboys stuff on the Fan of last season’s shitfest and on the upcoming series (to be released next Thursday) and I have to say I respect Garrett a lot more than i did before : “Jason Garrett, Pilot fucking error.” He said that about himself. 

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
Something is going down involving David Irving.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No idea what is going on but I just saw a tweet that said Irving said on Facebook to disregard his posts because his ex hacked his account. That he kicked her out for cheating.

6 games with no appeal.  /Goodell

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
19 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
Something is going down involving David Irving.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No idea what is going on but I just saw a tweet that said Irving said on Facebook to disregard his posts because his ex hacked his account. That he kicked her out for cheating.

The dude messing around with Irving's ex must have a death wish.