Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

18 hours ago, Amobie said:

Only way i'd do it is if it's sending them a 2nd next year. 

Another "value" pick to watch is Arden Key.  Another Randy Gregory project.

Jesus Christ man this his laughable. “Next year”? There’s no way Seattle would do that. They’d be stupid to do it. 

17 hours ago, DougO said:

I wouldn't do a trade for Earl that does not include a swap for Cole Beasley, and possibly a pick no earlier than the extra 4.

The Cowboys need an infusion of young talent and no big risk factors.

Yes the cowboys need an infusion of youth. I mean except that they’re already one of the youngest teams in the league. Witten, Lee, and the special team guys are the only reason they’re that high. 

Besides you have 10 picks. They’re not taking them all. Plenty of guys to add even after a trade. And he’s better than anyone they’d get at 19 or 50. 

17 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'm going to die on this hill. YOU TRADE A 2ND ROUNDER FOR THE BEST SAFETY IN FOOTBALL!

And then we all high five opening day when the defense looks drastically improved.

EDIT: I may have misread your terms. My bad.

Damn right you do. If it costs more than that, then no way. 

17 hours ago, DougO said:

I would love for the Cowboys to have Earl. But I wouldn't give up a second round pick for him. I'd rather draft a safety in a good safety class and keep him on the cheap for four or five years.

Wait...you think this is a good safety class?  There really aren’t many quality ones in this class. 

15 hours ago, Mileslong said:

i would like the cowboys to draft this way in the first three rounds, assuming the trade with Seattle doesn't happen. im also using who i expect to still be there with dallas' pick.

1st round - must go defense imo, either vander esch (lb) or payne (dt)

2nd round - i might go defense again but if one of these receivers is still there i would go kirk, dj chark, anthony miller with the 50th pick.

3rd round - they must get an lb in the first three rounds so if they take a dt in the first and wr in the second i go with malik in the third round with the 81st pick, if they go with a lb in the first two rounds i take a dt here with hand from miss state.

I don’t have an issue with any of this except Payne. He is NOT a first round talent. He’s at best a true 1Tech with questionable motor. Dude had NO production except during the playoffs and that’s a red flag. 

We we can talk ourselves into Vea if he’s there. Dude seems to be elite and can still be a force on pass rushing downs...Payne isn’t that. We can get a guy similar to Payne in the 3rd(as you suggested if they take a LB in first). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jesus Christ man this his laughable. “Next year”? There’s no way Seattle would do that. They’d be stupid to do it. 

Is this your first draft?  That's a pretty normal thing to do.  A 2nd next year is the equivalent to a 3rd this year on most value charts.  A second next year allows them to save face and it costs Dallas less to pull the trigger.  

Seattle is in a situation where they are either going to trade him or keep him for one year before he leaves and they get nothing other than potentially a long hold out.  They are lucky they have a trading partner.

19 minutes ago, Drew said:

Wait...you think this is a good safety class?  There really aren’t many quality ones in this class.  

Other than the fact there are 2 that are likely going in top 10.. 

Edited by Amobie

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

"According to PFF". For whatever reason, so many people use them as the holy grail of rankings and they aren't. Earl is still one of the best safeties in the game. He's 100x better than what we have right now. And he will be better than any 2nd round pick or any round after that we would take. I definitely would not give up the farm for him but he instantly transforms this defense. He will make every player look better.

Defenses should be built from the inside out. DT, LB and safety. But we seem to want to cut corners there. We have Jeff fucking Heath still at safety. We draft a gimp in the 2nd round in 2016 and Sean Lee who is made of glass earlier this decade. We don't take the DT position that seriously either. Your edge rushers and corners won't amount to shit if the middle of your defense is piss poor. I know safety and DT are not the sexy positions but in my eyes, they are the most vital to a solid defense. Seattle's Legion of Boom was what it was for those years because of Earl and Chancellor. They made Sherman and the other DBs look the way they did. It's time we finally address that need. In a serious manner.

I didn't say PFF was the holy grail. I was merely pointing out that, objectively, Earl Thomas is no longer the unquestioned best safety in football. Yes, he's "one of the best" safeties. Yes, he would be much much better than anyone currently on our roster by a mile. However, he's entering the phase of his career where his talent will soon begin to regress and his salary will continue to increase. I'm generally not in favor of signing players who are older than 30 long-term high-dollar contracts. And I don't think Earl's gonna take a significant pay cut to play for the Cowboys. He might take a small discount to play for his home town team, but I doubt he would take the kind of below-market rate that would make signing him to a long-term deal a prudent allocation of finite resources. 

You should expect to get an above-average multi-year starter out of the second round. If you regularly fuck up the second round like the Cowboys do, you make it nearly impossible to compete for a Super Bowl. Instead we've got wildcatter Jerry who is seemingly obsessed with rolling the dice on long-odds in the second round. It's maddening.  

1 hour ago, Rabidhorn said:

NFL Network just mocked Vit Vea to the Deadskins, I would hate to see him in the NFC East.

5 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

Hahahaa Browns drafting Blow U QB Drunkard Mayfield, he fits their draft scheme, he will be out of the league in 3 years.

Your little nicknames are pretty aggy-esque. 

I'm in Germany so the Cowboys pick will take place somewhere around 5am, and I plan on staying up to see it and going to bed after.  There will be no bigger kick in the nuts to stay up that late and seeing Jerry take some fucking WR that we don't need to waste a first round pick on.

Not sure how true this is:

4/26: The Cowboys and Seahawks are discussing a trade for Earl Thomas, centered around the No. 50 pick. - Dan Graziano, ESPNReports indicate that the only thing holding this trade up is Dallas needing assurance that it can sign Thomas to a long-term deal. Considering Thomas begged the Dallas coaching staff to acquire him after the penultimate game of the year, the Cowboys should feel pretty confident they can get a contract done. -Walter

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft/17-32#ixzz5DoP2pqtp

25 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not sure how true this is:

4/26: The Cowboys and Seahawks are discussing a trade for Earl Thomas, centered around the No. 50 pick. - Dan Graziano, ESPNReports indicate that the only thing holding this trade up is Dallas needing assurance that it can sign Thomas to a long-term deal. Considering Thomas begged the Dallas coaching staff to acquire him after the penultimate game of the year, the Cowboys should feel pretty confident they can get a contract done. -Walter

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/teamdraft/17-32#ixzz5DoP2pqtp

DO IT

5 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Goodell gonna have some Boo-dy guards tonight.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23324799/roger-goodell-flanked-dallas-cowboys-greats-start-nfl-draft

They should let Zeke walk out with him.  That'd be awkward. 

that is the biggest chickenshit move i have ever seen.  walk about with cowboy legends to avoid being booed worse than anyone in history.  what a fucking pussy, god i hate that guy.  i hope everyone still boos his ass at every turn

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

that is the biggest chickenshit move i have ever seen.  walk about with cowboy legends to avoid being booed worse than anyone in history.  what a fucking pussy, god i hate that guy.  i hope everyone still boos his ass at every turn

When the fans start booing, it's not like people are going to think we are booing former Cowboys players.