Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

1 minute ago, In10se said:

They've jumped through hoops to keep Jarwin/Swain/Gathers the last couple of years. They have to think they can play. 

Not really...... They've needed a 3rd TE and developmental guy.  Swaim got hurt, Jarwin was promoted when this happened.  Gathers got hurt with a concussion and was shut down for 2 months.  I think Swaim and Jarwin can be backup 2/3rd TE guys but we need a front line guy to control the middle of the field.

7 minutes ago, Amobie said:

I don't think this impacts the draft at all and I seriously doubt this decision was spontaneous. 

it could impact the earl thomas trade big time.  Now WR is probably off the board in round two.  Now they must go TE instead

Edited by Mileslong

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not really...... They've needed a 3rd TE and developmental guy.  Swaim got hurt, Jarwin was promoted when this happened.  Gathers got hurt with a concussion and was shut down for 2 months.  I think Swaim and Jarwin can be backup 2/3rd TE guys but we need a front line guy to control the middle of the field.

I think Gathers was actually ok.  they put him on IR so they didn't have to try and sneak him through waivers to put him back on the practice squad.  

Just now, Mileslong said:

it could impact the earl thomas trade big time

Given how close Witten was with Garrett and Jerry, I seriously doubt this news is taking them off guard.  They knew.

On the bright side, they timed this so that now teams are less certain about the guys Dallas will target.  Witten retiring exactly 15 years from his original draft date was not a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I think Gathers was actually ok.  they put him on IR so they didn't have to try and sneak him through waivers to put him back on the practice squad.  

Easier to do with Jarwin..... Most outlets think he was dealing with a serious injury.  Being so super raw and missing all those reps would be silly to play the waiver game.... 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/cowboys-rico-gathers-dealing-with-more-than-concussion/

Gathers is nursing jaw and neck injuries in addition to concussion symptoms, William Allen of the Cowboys' official site reports.

Gathers absorbed a helmet-to-helmet hit during training camp last summer and, by all accounts, still hasn't cleared concussion protocol. However, it's now evident the tight end is dealing with more than a typical concussion, which helps explain why his recovery has taken as long as it has. 

Witten is a hall of famer and good dude.  Why anyone would decide they hate him and can't wait to be rid of him makes absolutely no sense.  Yeah, he's fucking slow but he still got open more often than not. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amobie said:

Given how close Witten was with Garrett and Jerry, I seriously doubt this news is taking them off guard.  They knew.

On the bright side, they timed this so that now teams are less certain about the guys Dallas will target.  Witten retiring exactly 15 years from his original draft date was not a coincidence.

It’s done just the opposite, now teams know dallas is desperate for a TE. If they had waited everyone would think they going after a WR or DT early.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How do we know what they can do? Witten never came off the field. They've never been able to show if they can be at least replacement level starting TE. 

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

It’s done just the opposite, now teams know dallas is desperate for a TE. If they had waited everyone would think they going after a WR or DT early.

So you'd think they are less likely to take WR or DT now?  Kind of proving my point.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Witten was still a hell of a run blocker. But maybe swaim can replace that and catch a pass here and there. 

He struggled a ton reaching out to get the end/boundary player last season. It was time to go. 

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've heard Jason Witten on with BaD Radio for years. He's as vanilla and boring as it comes. Love the dude as a FB player but I think he'll be terribad in the booth.

Yea, I don't get it..... Seems pretty unexciting.  I didn't think Romo would be as good as he was though, but he still struggled with his voice a bit....

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've heard Jason Witten on with BaD Radio for years. He's as vanilla and boring as it comes. Love the dude as a FB player but I think he'll be terribad in the booth.

People said the exact same thing about Aikman when he played in Dallas. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

People said the exact same thing about Aikman when he played in Dallas. 

And they are still right. He's not really that good, but he's Troy Aikman, and now it's tradition for him to own that post. And Joe Buck sucks.

Edited by DougO

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

Shut up Vic. Anyone being other than sad about Witten leaving is a fucking douche bag. 

Yes its time to move on, but you could be less of a dick about it. 

Also, no you’ll have Romo as lead on CBS. Troy as lead on Fox. Witten as lead on ESPN. And even Micheal Irvin as the most outspoken former player that’s a studio analyst on NFl network. 

Chris Collinsworth better watch out. He’s the only non cowboy in that position now. Not sure who is next up...maybe Sean Lee?

Damn I was hoping we left your dumb ass behind. You still sound like the gaping vagina you always are. Crying about other people's opinions as always. Fuck off, loser.

I have been vocal about replacing Witten for years. Getting rid of Dez. They did both in a few weeks. Good for this offense.

But I'll let the others have a pity party. 

Don't understand why Dallas has to have a TE in this draft. I'll miss Witten and he's one of my all time favorite players, but his athleticism fell off a cliff last season and he really struggled early in the season in run blocking. He hasn't been anything other than a "go to the sticks and turn around" receiving threat in 3 seasons.  He was only a slightly above replacement level player in 2017. They are called replacement level players for a reason.

I don't have a reason why I write this, but it feels like a defensive move tonight, whether that's a trade for Earl or a draft pick. Dallas is 1 piece away in the secondary and has completed their LB corp. The could complete either the DL or the secondary tonight and be mostly through the defensive rebuild the decided on after 2016 ended. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, In10se said:

They've jumped through hoops to keep Jarwin/Swain/Gathers the last couple of years. They have to think they can play. 

And finally they will get a legit chance to prove themselves. Witten being gone will do wonders for the TE position. No one ever got a legit chance to get reps and prove themselves. The who notion that everyone else sucks behind him is flawed. As long as Witten was on this roster, he would get all the reps and snaps. The guys behind him aren't getting on the field because of lack of talent but more like we owe Witten something for his years of service. Which is what you can't do in sports. 

Dez and Witten were becoming dead weight to this offense. It will be a breath of fresh air with both of them gone. Go get a TE who can stretch the field and defenses have to respect. Witten was open constantly because teams gave zero fucks about him. They knew he was going nowhere after he caught his short pass. Now get a TE in here that teams have to respect, and it frees up the other WRs. Go look at offenses with them and they look drastically different than ours.

But I guess being happy and jumping with joy to try and improve the offense is frowned upon because he played with us so long. Meh. Players come and go every year. No one plays forever. Replacing Witten was a long time coming. Not going to pretend to be sad about it. Dude made millions. Has a nice family. Will receive a fat pension. Will go on and make millions sitting in a booth. Yeah, real sad.

TE has been a need for years. The Cowboys addressed it regularly, for years. But they suck at it. Nothing about that has changed. They're still looking for Witten replacements like they have been for nearly a decade with a parade of poor TE picks that followed him.

1 minute ago, Farkimedes said:

Don't understand why Dallas has to have a TE in this draft. I'll miss Witten and he's one of my all time favorite players, but his athleticism fell off a cliff last season and he really struggled early in the season in run blocking. He hasn't been anything other than a "go to the sticks and turn around" receiving threat in 3 seasons.  He was only a slightly above replacement level player in 2017. They are called replacement level players for a reason.

I don't have a reason why I write this, but it feels like a defensive move tonight, whether that's a trade for Earl or a draft pick. Dallas is 1 piece away in the secondary and has completed their LB corp. The could complete either the DL or the secondary tonight and be mostly through the defensive rebuild the decided on after 2016 ended. 

Finally some logic in here. Witten was nothing like he once was. It was beyond time to replace him. But for some reason, so many fans hold onto these players and berate anyone who is glad we could actually replace them. See Dez, Romo and Witten. All were sensationalized after the fact. Hell, people were more sad to see them leave than the triplets who actually had real success. Shrugs. 

25 minutes ago, Amobie said:

So you'd think they are less likely to take WR or DT now?  Kind of proving my point.

What are you talking about?  your point was that this timing was good to confuse teams when it actually clarifies what dallas will do by adding a number one need, TE.  they can get by without another Wr or Dt early in the draft but not TE now with this announcement.  reality is the opposite of your point.

what sucks is that connor will go to the browns with the first pick in the 2nd so he can spend his time in that hell blocking for the biggest douche in the NFL.  also, the giants will happily just sit there and grab harold laundry giving them the best draft in the league through two rounds without having to move.

i think the cowboys now take gesicki, with their pick if he is still there in the second.  they would have taken the best WR left if not for the witten announcement.

12 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

They don't.  They could go get a Luke Wilson or Ben Watson on the cheap.  I think the general concern is if Terrence Williams broken foot is as serious as some suggest then our top 300 targets won't be with the team anymore.  For a team which struggled to pass the ball last year, this is an area which needs improvement.  Jarwin and certainly Swaim have the look of backups.  Nobody fucking knows what basketball player turned football player Rico can do, especially since he was injured a majority of last year.  I still go back to not going after Cameron Meredith strong enough.  A good front office and offense like the Saints did and were rewarded.  But your point is a valid one, we don't have to draft a TE but we do need to improve our passing game and our weapons in it and adding Allen Hurns and the Buffalo Bills' 5th WR isn't really making a huge impact....

As far as Witten.  It sucks he had to play his career under the management of one of the more incompetent GM's of the last 2 decades in any sport.  Fans probably feel he deserved a little better as a player who always gave maximum effort, understood how to practice, and represented the organization with class.  That written, at his age and with an obvious skill set declining, this is probably a best case scenario.  He moves on into a career of his own choosing and forces the front office to confront turning the page.  He could have held on for 2-3 more years if he wanted but his retirement actually helps us L-T.  Sucks it came during the draft though..... and after we pushed a couple of million dollars into dead money a few weeks ago.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

39 minutes ago, DougO said:

And they are still right. He's not really that good, but he's Troy Aikman, and now it's tradition for him to own that post. And Joe Buck sucks.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Aikman was terrible when he started, in nfl Europe I believe. He’s only decent now. 

Is my sarcasm meter off?  Name one better.

Just now, taybo20 said:

We have a lot of holes to fill on the offense now. OL, TE, WR... 

If you are going after a lineman that you expect to play year one, I think you pretty much have to take one at 50.

You can probably get Jordan Jenkins in the 6th round which takes care of TE.

4th-5th we need to grab either Hines, Wadley or Smith at RB

I like throwing a 5th or 6th at Callaway and that covers WR. 

That leaves a 3rd and one 4th to cover Safety and DL.

10 minutes ago, Amobie said:

If you are going after a lineman that you expect to play year one, I think you pretty much have to take one at 50.

You can probably get Jordan Jenkins in the 6th round which takes care of TE.

4th-5th we need to grab either Hines, Wadley or Smith at RB

I like throwing a 5th or 6th at Callaway and that covers WR. 

That leaves a 3rd and one 4th to cover Safety and DL.

do you mean jordan aikens at TE? if you do, he will most likely be gone by then...

if you want a RB then i would go with hines.  dallas lacks team speed and this guy would be one of the fastest in the NFL, he is like a better dwayne harris.  also is a plus kickoff returner and would bring a nice change of pace on third downs etc

Edited by Mileslong