Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

Dr. Joseph Dolan: You know, it's a shame about Ed. 

Fletch: Oh, it was. Yeah, it was really a shame. To go so suddenly like that. 

Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was dying for years. 

Fletch: Sure, but... the end was very... very sudden. 

Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was in intensive care for eight weeks. 

Fletch: Yeah, but I mean the very end, when he actually died. That was extremely sudden.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

JANE SLATER ALERT

our very own superhottesthorn will be on NFLN in a moment with a witten report

Superslater falsely states that Blake Jarwin was acquired from the Fecals. He was originally signed by the Cowboys as a UDFA and promoted when the Fecals were snooping around.

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if he's going to MNF booth this is not "sudden" and jones has known and been in on the timing.  what a great way to make the friday night primetime talking points.

Center of attention. Its not enough to have the draft in your stadium...haha

I dont think they even need to replace Witten's snaps. This is a good opportunity to chsnge up the stale offense and go more Switzer and Beasley spreading it out and letting the OL and Zeke work against 6 man boxes. 

Of course that's what a competent coach would do. Who knows about this coach. 

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

@fishsports
BREAKING: #Cowboys source tells me: Assuming #JasonWitten retirement, 'No negative impact, dead money or 'penalty' whatsoever on cap. A financial bullet dodged.

Good news..... Looks like because they technically hadn't written a check on the restructure they can simply have it dropped.  Dodged bullet indeed....

I bet Witten secretly hates Jerry for running off Parcels with TOs dumb ass and ruining his chances at winning title by being a shit GM the whole time. Then yesterday making him walk out with that bitch ass Goodell was the last straw Lulz. 

20 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if he's going to MNF booth this is not "sudden" and jones has known and been in on the timing.  what a great way to make the friday night primetime talking points.

By all account from sources this truly was out of left field from the Cowboys perspective. They had no clue he was about to retire.

3 minutes ago, In10se said:

I dont think they even need to replace Witten's snaps. This is a good opportunity to chsnge up the stale offense and go more Switzer and Beasley spreading it out and letting the OL and Zeke work against 6 man boxes. 

Of course that's what a competent coach would do. Who knows about this coach. 

Could create an opening for a H back type of player like Jaylon Samuels from NC State. 

2 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

By all account from sources this truly was out of left field from the Cowboys perspective. They had no clue he was about to retire.

Cowboys knew he was meeting with people about the tv gigs. They just never thought he'd actually do it and got caught pants down. 

No issue with Witten here. Just like I had no issue with Cowboys cutting Fez when they did. This is all business. 

3 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

You think Dallas had no clue Witten was interviewing for a job in their own league? Please. They knew he had other aspirations outside of playing with them this season. They have 3 guys they got behind Witten with the idea they hope they would replace him. If they are confident with those guys, then this news is no real big deal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, In10se said:

I bet Witten secretly hates Jerry for running off Parcels with TOs dumb ass and ruining his chances at winning title by being a shit GM the whole time. Then yesterday making him walk out with that bitch ass Goodell was the last straw Lulz. 

so even though the prep for the walk-out likely started weeks or months ago, he just cut the MFN deal in  18 hours?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so even though the prep for the walk-out likely started weeks or months ago, he just cut the MFN deal in  18 hours?

Rumor (stress rumor) is they came to him and offered him the job a couple of months ago..... He said no and was going to play another season, hence the agreed upon restructure.  Over the the last few days, they came back to him and sweetened the deal and after evaluating, Witten decided to retire.  Again, it's a rumor but it would make some sense considering all the facts out for public consumption.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You think Dallas had no clue Witten was interviewing for a job in their own league? Please. They knew he had other aspirations outside of playing with them this season. They have 3 guys they got behind Witten with the idea they hope they would replace him. If they are confident with those guys, then this news is no real big deal. 

It was already out a couple of months ago the MNF talked to Witten..at the time he said no...he changed his mind in last 48 hours

5 minutes ago, In10se said:

Cowboys knew he was meeting with people about the tv gigs. They just never thought he'd actually do it and got caught pants down. 

No issue with Witten here. Just like I had no issue with Cowboys cutting Fez when they did. This is all business. 

If that's true then Stephen Jones is dipshit aggylogic fucktard.  And I rate Stephen Jones a little higher than that.  He went to pig.  He's not aggy.  Only aggy would "get caught with their pants down" when a 15-year player who has played longer than 99999 of 100000 players at his position "actually does it".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Dr. Joseph Dolan: You know, it's a shame about Ed. 

Fletch: Oh, it was. Yeah, it was really a shame. To go so suddenly like that. 

Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was dying for years. 

Fletch: Sure, but... the end was very... very sudden. 

Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was in intensive care for eight weeks. 

Fletch: Yeah, but I mean the very end, when he actually died. That was extremely sudden.

Oh for god-dahh-dahh! Who is it, Mister Sinilindin?!

1 minute ago, txbroadcaster said:

It was already out a couple of months ago the MNF talked to Witten..at the time he said no...he changed his mind in last 48 hours

Or he lied to the press because he intended on retiring on 15th year anniversary of him being drafted. 

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I guess the "Lulz" wasnt enough to fully tip off the joke nature of the post at jerry and goodell's expense. 

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

If that's true then Stephen Jones is dipshit aggylogic fucktard.  And I rate Stephen Jones a little higher than that.  He went to pig.  He's not aggy.  Only aggy would "get caught with their pants down" when a 15-year player who has played longer than 99999 of 100000 players at his position "actually does it".

Can't think of any other reason that makes sense unless they either have full confidence in what they have on board to replace him or they planned to replace him in the draft and word getting out today may have kind of busted that. I believe them that they weren't expecting him to retire and were a bit blindsided today though. 

Who knows they might have planned for it and we just don't know. 

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We know you are connected but.... really.....  it's very hard to swallow

It really is not...He said no at first intending on playing at least one more year....Something changed in the last 48 hours..MNF made a better offer..or Witten just deciding he did not want to go thru the grind. Since offseason program started Witten had been at every Captain's Workout and every other workout. He does not do that if he knows at the time that he is not playing the season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I should probably do actual research to inform myself, but that wouldn’t be the surly way, so instead I’ll just ask:  does Dallas have cap room for free agents now that Witten is off the books without dead money?  Before the apparently now void restructuring, wasn’t he set to make an obscene salary this year?

It's above..... just look up thread.

Moving on....

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I should probably do actual research to inform myself, but that wouldn’t be the surly way, so instead I’ll just ask:  does Dallas have cap room for free agents now that Witten is off the books without dead money?  Before the apparently now void restructuring, wasn’t he set to make an obscene salary this year?

David Moore said Witten's cap hit was about 8 million for 2018 and this will free up about 2.7 million or so. If they wanted to sign a FA to replace him it would be an old guy on a cheap deal who no one else wants. Probably not better than what they have on roster. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

People said the exact same thing about Aikman when he played in Dallas. 

Aikman didn't have years of doing a weekly radio segment either, though. I was surprised Romo was as good as he was.

I must be in the minority but I don't think Moose is all that good either. He is a little hamstrung with the piss-poor, second-tier PBP talent he's forced to work with though.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Damn I was hoping we left your dumb ass behind. You still sound like the gaping vagina you always are. Crying about other people's opinions as always. Fuck off, loser.

I have been vocal about replacing Witten for years. Getting rid of Dez. They did both in a few weeks. Good for this offense.

But I'll let the others have a pity party. 

You calling someone a loser for disagreeing with your takes is pretty fucking rich.  You calling someone a loser for anything at all is comedy gold.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, txbroadcaster said:

It really is not...He said no at first intending on playing at least one more year....Something changed in the last 48 hours..MNF made a better offer..or Witten just deciding he did not want to go thru the grind. Since offseason program started Witten had been at every Captain's Workout and every other workout. He does not do that if he knows at the time that he is not playing the season

welp, i'll say the workout thing is not proof of blindsiding.... you never quit your current job until the next one has ink on paper.  and no ink on paper is not proof of unplanned ignorance by the joneses.

occam's razor.  simplest explanation holds.  everyone concerned knew, but it wasn't done until it was done.

29 minutes ago, In10se said:

I don't care if Witten retired an hour before the regular season opener.  He is one of the best to ever play for this franchise, one of the best TEs ever, and a rock-solid human being.  

That dude has earned "no issue" regardless of how he decides to go out.

• Like 5