Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

It comes out that Vea may be the trigger man in a massacre. He goes undrafted. The day after the draft it turns out to be mistaken identity and shoddy police work and he's innocent. Jerry signs him as a UDFA. 

Cowboys trade 50 to Seattle for earl. Draft an OL at 19. No trade back because Jerrah ain't havin' no draft in his dome without making a 1st round pick. 

6 hours ago, Amobie said:

6 games with no appeal.  /Goodell

I know it was a joke, but is there a difference between this and Zeke?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/23/17272430/report-police-investigating-serious-allegations-against-cowboys-david-irving

I can easily see him being completely innocent and also getting a suspension. 

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

I know it was a joke, but is there a difference between this and Zeke?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/23/17272430/report-police-investigating-serious-allegations-against-cowboys-david-irving

I can easily see him being completely innocent and also getting a suspension. 

He could also be totally guilty and get a very noteworthy suspension.  He's had these issues in the past with the same woman..... Failed drug tests would be a bad look too.

No idea what the story is but wonder if it affects draft strategy....

Todd Archer wrote this and gives the #1 reason if Vea is there at 19 they must take him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766204/cowboys-have-built-solid-defensive-line-but-cant-stop-now

The Cowboys have to think about the future as well. Seven of the 13 defensive linemen on their roster have contracts that expire in 2018, with four set to become unrestricted free agents.

7 minutes ago, Rabidhorn said:

Todd Archer wrote this and gives the #1 reason if Vea is there at 19 they must take him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4766204/cowboys-have-built-solid-defensive-line-but-cant-stop-now

The Cowboys have to think about the future as well. Seven of the 13 defensive linemen on their roster have contracts that expire in 2018, with four set to become unrestricted free agents.

That's a very odd way of saying we have 4 out of 13 are becoming unrestricted free agents next year. Ealy.. Lawrence and Irving are expiring this year and expired last year..  Not particularly worried about it.   That's about average that you'd have the entire d-line have their contracts expire every 4 years. 

I'm on board with Vea but I don't think it's a must have.

Edited by Amobie

6 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Lol, so true. I hope all the cowboy fans at the draft give Goodell a warm reception when he is introduced

That commie Goodell has been booed for the last couple of years, but I hope he gets booed a lot harder at Jerry World.

48 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It'd probably take our 2nd with us getting a 3/4th back...... I think we move down before we move up.

I was listening to a Brugler draft podcast and then saw Peter King's most recent mock. Both had Derwin James slipping to around 15-16. Would you do that deal, too?

Edited by Ricky Butler
  • Like 1

Good safety draft, no need to give up a pick to move up. I like Justin Reid a lot, might end up being the best safety of the bunch. Also the aggy Watts, ferocious hitter, can cover and play all over the field probably great value in the 3rd round, despite aggy.

I think it's more of a move down draft than a move up draft. But a couple of picks up for Ridley would make sense, because there's a big separation between him and the next group of receivers. I like Washington as much as DJ Moore, maybe better. Similar player, but is great working to get open on extended plays. He's just as physical or more than Moore, but is more instinctive getting open and makes plays. He absolutely destroyed Chipotle Adobo in the Alamo Bowl last year. Ridley is the only really natural receiver in the bunch that has low bust risk and high upside potential.

I couldn't pass on Ron Payne if he were there. Vea likely won't be. If Roquan slips that far that's a great pick.

There should be a really solid pick at 19. They should stand pat and then think about moving up in round 2 to get another guy that slips that should be an instant starter, and don't take an injury or baggage risk guy. Get a player. Then grab a guard at 3 or 4.

If there are a handful of guys at 19, trade down a few spots and get an extra 3 or 4.

Edited by DougO

15 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Anyone going to the draft? I didn't win the lottery but was still thinking of going early on Saturday to the Fan Experience.

Put in for the lottery so I could take my son.  I didn’t think of the idea to pick another team when asked about fav teams on the application.  Should have picked the Bills or some other random team.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Put in for the lottery so I could take my son.  I didn’t think of the idea to pick another team when asked about fav teams on the application.  Should have picked the Bills or some other random team.

1. Go standby

Sure, you didn’t get a ticketed seat BUT there’s still hope. Say you’re checking out the FREE NFL Draft Experience. Good news, if you have the Fan Mobile Pass app, you’re automatically entered for a chance to get standby theater tickets as seats come available.  Make sure you check in on Thursday, April 26 for Round 1, Friday, April 27 for Rounds 2-3, and Saturday, April 28 for Rounds 4-7. That means you have three days to possibly win draft tickets!

Check in on the app (when you get there) on the day you are going and you could get in.  I know several people who won the lottery but can't make it.  The lottery winners have to check in that morning with their ID and show it again at the gate. Scalping will be non-existent.

• Like 1

What do we think the true price of Earl will be before the draft? Does a 2nd and a 5th or something like that get it done? If so, I can't imagine a better impact player to help the defense. That guy would be the brain of the defense and a force multiplier.

Dak won't be a bargain forever.

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

What do we think the true price of Earl will be before the draft? Does a 2nd and a 5th or something like that get it done? If so, I can't imagine a better impact player to help the defense. That guy would be the brain of the defense and a force multiplier.

Dak won't be a bargain forever.

I've seen 2nd and then some as being the advertised price but I think it's way too expensive for how old he is and the fact we will have to sign him to a new deal.  I'd have no problem with a 2nd next year and maybe a 4th this year. I want to keep pick #50 this year.

Just now, DougO said:

The Cowboys have too many holes to fill to pay the price Earl will require in both picks and salary. If they were close to Superbowl contenders that would be another thing.

I think they are closer than you are willing to give them credit for.  A lot of shit had to go wrong last year for them to end up where they did. 

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

The Cowboys have too many holes to fill to pay the price Earl will require in both picks and salary. If they were close to Superbowl contenders that would be another thing.

I think you're crazy. We're talking about one of the best safeties in football.  And in today's NFL, the Cowboys are absolutely a Superbowl contender.

Beasley should be able to bring a middle round pick at least or some trade-up sweetener. I would hate to see him just cut and get nothing in return and watch him be useful on a good team that is a better fit. But he needs to be moved if it can help them in the draft.

My love affair with Vea is rapidly diminishing. I just don’t think he’s ever going to give you a pass rush, and if he can’t, he’s not worth a 1st rounder. Sign Hankins for gods sake.

if they don’t move up for a DB I think they’ll take LVE from Boise State as a Mike.

• Like 1

Vea is a 350 pound monster than can dunk a basketball and as strong as a bull, he will give some pass rush but his deal will be passing downs taking up two blockers which would free up the DE on the pass rush. If he is there Dallas would be stupid to pass on him, he will not be there at 19 anyway.