Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

14 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

I didn’t like the pick at the time, but it’s just not true that he didn’t improve as the season went along. You can check his PFF grades for a snapshot.

His grades by PFF may have been improved but that's largely because he was playing far fewer downs after the Cowboys got tired of him giving up plays. He played on 37% or less of  total defensive plays in the final four weeks, after playing 55-100% of defensive snaps in the first five.

They talked of moving Smith to the strong side before Hitchens left. This is what they did with Bruce Carter when they gave up on him in the middle when it was apparent he was terrible in open space.

Edited by DougO

17 minutes ago, DougO said:

His grades by PFF may have been improved but that's largely because he was playing far fewer downs after the Cowboys got tired of him giving up plays. He played on 37% or less of  total defensive plays in the final four weeks, after playing 55-100% of defensive snaps in the first five.

They talked of moving Smith to the strong side before Hitchens left. This is what they did with Bruce Carter when they gave up on him in the middle when it was apparent he was terrible in open space.

This was essentially his rookie year.  I seriously doubt they are giving up on him now that he's actually getting healthy.

Exactly. He didn't really improve at all. They just played him less so he didn't have as many plays to screw up. Sturm broke it down very well. It's not even just the physical aspect. His instincts are bad. He's not a good player.

Was a terrible pick then and still is. He's entering year 3 and he still doesn't have any idea what he's doing. We have to hide him out there. Not very comforting for a top of the 2nd round pick entering year 3

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. He didn't really improve at all. They just played him less so he didn't have as many plays to screw up. Sturm broke it down very well. It's not even just the physical aspect. His instincts are bad. He's not a good player.

Was a terrible pick then and still is. He's entering year 3 and he still doesn't have any idea what he's doing. We have to hide him out there. Not very comforting for a top of the 2nd round pick entering year 3

I mean, I'm sure he watched plenty of film in year one but didn't really play.  Last year he didn't quite hit 100% from a health standpoint.  So it's more like he's entering year 2.  I'll wait to reserve judgement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I mean, I'm sure he watched plenty of film in year one but didn't really play.  Last year he didn't quite hit 100% from a health standpoint.  So it's more like he's entering year 2.  I'll wait to reserve judgement.

He's going to be on the roster for at least 3 more years so they have time to figure it out..

3 hours ago, DougO said:

He was never supposed to play as much as he did in the first part of the season. Injuries forced him into a way bigger role than he should have been in. 

If we draft a WR in the first, I'm gonna be so mad. While we do need one, there's no WRs that are blowing me away. And drafting first round WRs is not a good strategy. Our offense won't work anyways if we don't draft an OL early. On top of that, S/LB/TE are all bigger needs. We need to go two of OG/LB/S/TE in the first two rounds, and based on depth in this draft, I'm going OG in the first

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

can't write Jaylon off just yet, but this is the make or break year, and I just don't have a lot of confidence in him putting it all together. hope he proves me wrong. 

The problem with that pick is even if they get lucky and he comes back better in year 3 then has a breakout year 4 all of a sudden if you want to keep him you have to pay him. You basically got nothing out if his cheap days and with the cap you can't afford to be paying LBs big money. 

Where as a draft pick of Miles Jack would have been exactly what you want from that pick. LB who comes in productive in year 1 and gives you 3-4 very productive seasons before you let him go in free agency and get the compensatory pick while someone else wastes their cap on an expensive LB. 

The organization still just makes little stupid decisions like that. 

2 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

He was never supposed to play as much as he did in the first part of the season. Injuries forced him into a way bigger role than he should have been in. 

His play forced him into a smaller and more restricted role.

Edited by DougO

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm not ready to completely write it off just yet, but I believe it was a dumb pick at that point with so many immediate needs out of an early second round pick.

I sincerely hope that his open field play had something to do with his foot not quite being at NFL level healthy and that he can still improve significantly. We'll wait and see.

9 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Wait - this is a joke, right? Marinelli has been making chicken salad out of chicken shit. The production on that side of the ball has exceeded expectations given the lack of talent he’s working with. We might win 5 games under a different DC

Jerry has been taking filet-o'-fish out of filet Mignon for the past 25 years.

3 hours ago, In10se said:

The problem with that pick is even if they get lucky and he comes back better in year 3 then has a breakout year 4 all of a sudden if you want to keep him you have to pay him. You basically got nothing out if his cheap days and with the cap you can't afford to be paying LBs big money. 

Where as a draft pick of Miles Jack would have been exactly what you want from that pick. LB who comes in productive in year 1 and gives you 3-4 very productive seasons before you let him go in free agency and get the compensatory pick while someone else wastes their cap on an expensive LB. 

The organization still just makes little stupid decisions like that. 

They effectively get 5 years on his rookie deal because of his injury.  Same thing with Gregory due to his year long suspension.  

Also Jack's injury is much more of a ticking timebomb that Smiths.  Jack might not even last through his rookie deal and he ended the season with that injury in Jacksonville's playoff game.

Edited by Amobie

I wouldn't have taken Jack, either. He's a good player and I've love to have him, but he also has some pretty quiet stretches, sort of hot and cold. It's almost like he wears down or something. And the long term picture...I don't think he's enough of an impact guy to warrant that risk.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

An early Bye Week again? Sucks

And a Thursday night game after Thanksgiving, which is just some total commie fucking bullshit, third year in a row. That commie Goodell is trying to punish the Cowboys for holding on to the Thanksgiving day slot, but mostly because he's just a commie who hates America's team.

• Like 1

Six of the last eight games on the road, four of the last five. And the last three road games are divisional games.

I hope that's just a lame ass prediction by a hater or a pessimist. That's some blatantly shitty scheduling.

Edited by DougO

The early bye is good for the cowboys essentially gives us 2 bye weeks a year with the thanksgiving slot.

Yes we have had to play the following thursday but you do get the extra days off after that week.

Like that set up better than having long breaks late in the season and losing momentum if we had late bye and thanksgiving

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Giants release WR Brandon Marshall. Anybody interested if the money is right? Anything to keep the Cowboys from feeling they *have* to take a certain player in Round 1 is fine by me.

2017: 18 catches on 33 targets for 154 yards and no touchdowns.

Just now, Dr Fear said:

2017: 18 catches on 33 targets for 154 yards and no touchdowns.

He only played five games, though. His numbers the previous year were in line with a #2 or #2B receiver. Unless we draft somebody in the 1st round, we've got a collection of 2's and 3's at this point. Hurns, Terrence and Marshall aren't ideal by any stretch but it's better than what's there currently. And I'd like to give the Cowboys options at #19 rather than feel they have to take Ridley or the Maryland WR. Again, only if the money is right and he wants to stick it to the Giants twice. We're just throwing shit on the wall to see what sticks at this point.

51 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

By process of elimination, the Cowboys opening game is against either the Colts or the Seahawks. If it is the Seahawks they could be the late MNF game.

Well, it now appears to be @ Panthers Week 1.

Week 1 - at Panthers

Week 2 - vs. Giants (SNF)

Week 7 - at Redskins

Week 12 - vs. Redskins (Thanksgiving)

Week 13 - vs. Saints (TNF)

Week 16 - vs. Bucs

Week 17 - at Giants

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Well, it now appears to be @ Panthers Week 1.

Week 1 - at Panthers

Week 2 - vs. Giants (SNF)

Week 7 - at Redskins

Week 12 - vs. Redskins (Thanksgiving)

Week 13 - vs. Saints (TNF)

Week 16 - vs. Bucs

Week 17 - at Giants

At least we’re not opening at home against the Giants...well, I guess we are, but at least it’s the second game of the year for once. 

And glad we’re not finishing with the Eagles again. Just the Giants in what I hope I another meaningless game. 

Also oike that that we have a BYE more in the middle this year.  Would like to be 5-2 going into the bye. Maybe 4-3 with a slow start. 

Edited by Drew

2 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

That's a little better. I still hate a Monday night after the bye week, and then going into a road game at the Fecals on a short week.

And we still have Thursday after Thanksgiving, but at least it's against another team that played on Thanksgiving. Still, that shouldn't happen to any team, much less a third straight year.

Midseason bye is good...probably.

Edited by DougO