Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

5 hours ago, Amobie said:

Jerry really cares about these guys but he's now having to run the Cowboys like a business and it makes these kinds of endings pretty bitter.

At least he cares though, so I give Jerry credit for that, as he has been great at giving second chances for athletes like T.O. & keeping Romo a few extra seasons...

Yeah, for as good as Vea is:

1. He isn’t going to be there at 19 

and 

2. Futureman is right. You really don’t need to some a first on a 1-tech.

Draft a LB, OG, or trade up for Derwin James if for whatever reason he starts falling in the first. WR or LB in the 2nd (if you didn’t go LB in the 1st), and maybe even another LB in the 3rd. That would be my ideal scenario. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, futureman said:

you can find 1-techniques working the register at home depot, bro.  you don’t use 1st round picks on them. 

Who told you that? Look at every great defense in the NFL and you almost always see a dynamic 1 tech who stuffs the center/guard combo and gets a push in pass rush. Eagles, Jaguars, Vikings all had one. Giants defenses that were near top of the league before last season had one. 

That notion that was espoused by Jerry Jones over and over is bullshit. A great NT to pair with a 3 tech is the foundation of a great defense and allows the rest of the defense to flow to the ball. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, for as good as Vea is:

1. He isn’t going to be there at 19 

and 

2. Futureman is right. You really don’t need to some a first on a 1-tech.

Draft a LB, OG, or trade up for Derwin James if for whatever reason he starts falling in the first. WR or LB in the 2nd (if you didn’t go LB in the 1st), and maybe even another LB in the 3rd. That would be my ideal scenario. 

If you're sure he won't be there at 19 then doesn't that mean some GM better than Jerry definitely values that position and ability?

19 minutes ago, In10se said:

If you're sure he won't be there at 19 then doesn't that mean some GM better than Jerry definitely values that position and ability?

Fair point. Other smart(er) GMs would probably do a better job at finding a middle round 1-technique too, so maybe we should just take him. Maybe I’m just missing someone, but i don’t know what we’re going to do at LB. especially when the inevitable Sean Lee injury rolls around. If jaylen smith doesn’t take the next step, we’re going to be throwing out a group of JAGs  

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Jaylon has a long ways to even becoming JAG. He's still very bad and a big liability.

He got better as the season rolled along and has upside.  He'll play this year.  His presence shouldn't prevent us from bringing in other guys, even from the 1st or 2nd round.

I still like Vea and James at 19 if they manage to fall.

11 hours ago, futureman said:

you can find 1-techniques working the register at home depot, bro.  you don’t use 1st round picks on them. 

Anyone else remember in 1993 when Jerry signed a RB (Lincoln Coleman) that was working in a loading dock to back up Smith?  He finally got to play in the Leon Lett/Miami Thanksgiving day game and everyone was so excited he ran for 57 yards on 10 carries in his debut.  I don't know why I remember that but it was definitely one of the story lines that stuck with me over the years.

Edited by Amobie

4 hours ago, Amobie said:

He got better as the season rolled along and has upside.  He'll play this year.  His presence shouldn't prevent us from bringing in other guys, even from the 1st or 2nd round.

I still like Vea and James at 19 if they manage to fall.

There is a very good write up by Bob Sturm on the myth that Jaylon got better as the season went along. He really didn't. So many are trying to create the illusion he did in their minds to justify the horrible pick.

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

There is a very good write up by Bob Sturm on the myth that Jaylon got better as the season went along. He really didn't. So many are trying to create the illusion he did in their minds to justify the horrible pick.

He seemed to get better for a couple of games, but then he went back to taking horrible angles and overrunning everything.

Been watching lots of videos of DJ Moore, even his showing against Texas unfortunately.

He is way better than Ridley once he has the ball in his hands.  He's like a RB and can drive defenders back.  Kind of like Dez in that regard, but less reckless looking.  He also has impressive hands and seems to make catches with defenders draped all over him.  He definitely made Hill and Boyd look silly a couple times.

Both receivers should be productive, but Moore seems like the kind of guy that drives a defense crazy.

23 minutes ago, fellside said:

Been watching lots of videos of DJ Moore, even his showing against Texas unfortunately.

He is way better than Ridley once he has the ball in his hands.  He's like a RB and can drive defenders back.  Kind of like Dez in that regard, but less reckless looking.  He also has impressive hands and seems to make catches with defenders draped all over him.  He definitely made Hill and Boyd look silly a couple times.

Both receivers should be productive, but Moore seems like the kind of guy that drives a defense crazy.

He definitely runs more compact and actually protects the ball.

No wr at 19....def then in 2nd def again then in 3rd def and then in 4th def....then you can see if you can hit on offense

I want Doomsday back ...i want lett,norton,haley,casillas,woodson,maryland,tolbert,sanders....tired of this piss we have ran out there and calling it a defense

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amobie said:

He definitely runs more compact and actually protects the ball.

It's getting the ball that's the problem. He runs Dez-like routes and doesn't have nearly the natural hands that Ridley does. I would prefer a natural high-percentage catcher who also has some speed and natural cutting ability. But neither is a sure-fire pick. I think 19 is about right for Ridley but a bit too high for Moore. There are other receivers in a similar tier after that.

I would take Ron Payne or Justin Reid over any of them. I think they have better odds of being difference makers and sticking around for a decade or so.

Ridley is really smooth and instinctive. All he needs to learn is the system. Don't know if he will be a Pro Bow type, but he's going to be a really productive receiver, and probably fairly quickly. Low bust rate, high floor, medium-high ceiling. Moore scares me a little bit, though I think he'll be a good player on the right team. I think the Cowboys need a Ridley type a lot more, a guy who will catch anything near him.

2 hours ago, kt-horn said:

Not sure who I want them to take with the first pick. I just know who I don't want them to get. I don't want the dt from michigan or florida and I don't want the lb from Boise.

Why? Hurst is the best DT in this draft(provided the team signs off on the Heart issue, he’s going in the first or off teams board all together), Bryan is a perfect 3 Tech for Rods system and the LB from Boise is a better player than Evans(who a lot seem to have the cowboys taking) according to some. He’s got major upside based solely on the fact that he started only one year and had massive production. 

BTW on Vea I’d be okay with taking him because it sounds kind he can be a 3 down player. They reason most teams, not just Jerry and Rod, don’t value that position is because most run stuffing DTs are 2 down players at best. You can find those guys in the 3rd round, especially this heat. The DT class is super deep much like the WR class, and why I think they’re goinf LB or OG in the first. You can get your WR in the 2nd and a really good DT in the 3rd. 

What about Running Back?  This is a deep class and there are some dynamic backs coming out this year.  Zeke might grab another boob and we wont have a RB for 8 weeks.

I was thinking Nyheim Hines on day 2 might actually be a pretty safe pick for something Dallas is probably going to throw away anyways.  Definitely an explosive player.

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I didn’t like the pick at the time, but it’s just not true that he didn’t improve as the season went along. You can check his PFF grades for a snapshot.

his problem is that he’s really bad against the run. That never really improved, and as the season went on teams started targeting him. He made up for that by playing pass coverage at a high level.

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

What about Running Back?  This is a deep class and there are some dynamic backs coming out this year.  Zeke might grab another boob and we wont have a RB for 8 weeks.

I was thinking Nyheim Hines on day 2 might actually be a pretty safe pick for something Dallas is probably going to throw away anyways.  Definitely an explosive player.

If you’re going day 2 just take Nick Chubb ( I’m not opposed to that ).

id love to come away with another RB in round 2 or 3.

I didn’t like the pick at the time, but it’s just not true that he didn’t improve as the season went along. You can check his PFF grades for a snapshot.

his problem is that he’s really bad against the run. That never really improved, and as the season went on teams started targeting him. He made up for that by playing pass coverage at a high level.

Refresh my memory. Is that a trait you want in a linebacker?

6 hours ago, Amobie said:

I dont see us needing to draft a rb...like the 3 we got and can always bring one on as undrafted FA

8 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

If you’re going day 2 just take Nick Chubb ( I’m not opposed to that ).

id love to come away with another RB in round 2 or 3.

They are clearly different style of players though.  I'm not looking at a guy like Hines as someone you line up in place of Zeke, but a Kamara/Tyreek Hill guy.  This just seems to be a very deep class at QB and RB.

10 hours ago, Farkimedes said:

This is why I don't understand people who think taking a LB in round 1 is a dumb decision. Are you comfortable with just Sean Lee and Jaylon, 1 guy who has trouble staying healthy and 1 guy who sucked playing against the run?

8 minutes ago, GOAT said:

This is why I don't understand people who think taking a LB in round 1 is a dumb decision. Are you comfortable with just Sean Lee and Jaylon, 1 guy who has trouble staying healthy and 1 guy who sucked playing against the run?

I absolutely agree we need to take a LB and i'm not opposed to taking one high.  That being said it's pointless to have an All Pro LB core if the center and/or guard is making it to that level, Any LB group is going to look bad if the OL is coming free.  LBs are basically the QB/RB of the defense and that makes the DL the offensive line in this analogy.  Irving and Lawrence did very well last year but if that 1 tech was getting penetration or taking on a double team, their production would have been even better.  Basically 2/4 of the positions on the line are doing their job but the other half isn't and it makes it really hard on our LBs.

I think we can get by with what we have at LB if we manage to production from the side opposite lawrence and manage to get a studd DT like Vea.  We just need to spend some resources on the DT position and that would likely fix a lot of our problems.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:36 AM, Rabidhorn said:

Jerry relies on Rod for defense and it is obvious they both need to go and hire a real DC.

Wait - this is a joke, right? Marinelli has been making chicken salad out of chicken shit. The production on that side of the ball has exceeded expectations given the lack of talent he’s working with. We might win 5 games under a different DC

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amobie said:

I think we can get by with what we have at LB if we manage to production from the side opposite lawrence and manage to get a studd DT like Vea.  We just need to spend some resources on the DT position and that would likely fix a lot of our problems.

For sure. I wish they would take Hurst, dude is like Aaron Donald. For some reason this staff thinks they can just put JAGs out there at DT. Imagine if we had constant pressure on the QB coming from the interior and we had Irving, Lawrence, Taco on the outside

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

For sure. I wish they would take Hurst, dude is like Aaron Donald. For some reason this staff thinks they can just put JAGs out there at DT. Imagine if we had constant pressure on the QB coming from the interior and we had Irving, Lawrence, Taco on the outside

The Taco, Gregory and Ealy battle should be fun to watch.  Odds favor someone emerging from that bunch.  

I am still in the camp that they need to get rid of Crawford and spend that cap space on LB or S in free agency.