OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Idk where to post this but anyone got it? https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/board/86/Contents/collins-corner-is-brenen-thompson-a-wr-option-166549378/

Wonder if ousux pushes for him harder now

Spoiler

Earlier today, the Oklahoma Sooners lost a commitment from four-star wide receiver Jordan Hudson. With him gone, the Crimson and Cream will look for another addition at the position. As the board is reassessed, could a familiar face emerge as an option?

Brenen Thompson is a prospect who the Sooners were in good standing with previously. The wideout out of Spearman, Texas is one of the fastest overall players in the state and, potentially, the nation. He currently rates as the No. 87 overall recruit in the 2022 recruiting class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Player Rankings. His talent and traits are verifiable, so, would Oklahoma be able to capitalize on a previous relationship is the question.

From early gatherings, in speaking to sources and members of the network, I'd rule it out at this time. Thompson and his family have moved on from Oklahoma with Texas and Oklahoma State being the two main programs in contention. Granted, things change and recruiting is rarely an expected process, but I don't think the Sooners can establish a standing this late.

This leaves some question marks in terms of the next path. In an ideal world, Oklahoma is able to find itself a quality replacement for Hudson. However, as is quickly being learned in the aftermath of his de-commitment, the state of various prospects' recruitments have progressed beyond repair.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

Earlier today, the Oklahoma Sooners lost a commitment from four-star wide receiver Jordan Hudson. With him gone, the Crimson and Cream will look for another addition at the position. As the board is reassessed, could a familiar face emerge as an option?

Brenen Thompson is a prospect who the Sooners were in good standing with previously. The wideout out of Spearman, Texas is one of the fastest overall players in the state and, potentially, the nation. He currently rates as the No. 87 overall recruit in the 2022 recruiting class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Player Rankings. His talent and traits are verifiable, so, would Oklahoma be able to capitalize on a previous relationship is the question.

From early gatherings, in speaking to sources and members of the network, I'd rule it out at this time. Thompson and his family have moved on from Oklahoma with Texas and Oklahoma State being the two main programs in contention. Granted, things change and recruiting is rarely an expected process, but I don't think the Sooners can establish a standing this late.

This leaves some question marks in terms of the next path. In an ideal world, Oklahoma is able to find itself a quality replacement for Hudson. However, as is quickly being learned in the aftermath of his de-commitment, the state of various prospects' recruitments have progressed beyond repair.

However, as is quickly being learned in the aftermath of his de-commitment, the state of various prospects' recruitments have progressed beyond repair.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I like that. Us vs. OK St. should be a win

Spoiler

PLEASE go chase Chris Marshall

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He's got some off field stuff. I'd like him to toxify up OU's WR room since we actually play them.

But what if that does not happen, or the OU staff doesn't care and he balls out on the field. I'd rather not take that chance as the kid has huge upside. I'd still prefer to see him go to A&M.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's got some off field stuff. I'd like him to toxify up OU's WR room since we actually play them.

Due to the meth and overall odor of the town, OUs locker room seems immune to toxic influences. See Mixon, Mayfield, Murray, etc..

Edited by Vertigo

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Guess they're motivational sign slogan stealers as well as land thieves.

There's some debate about when each team started using the signs.  There are reports of seeing it during Wilkinson's era, with ND adopting it in the 60s, but who the hell knows.  Each one thinks they're the first.

1 hour ago, kilroydos said:

There's some debate about when each team started using the signs.  There are reports of seeing it during Wilkinson's era, with ND adopting it in the 60s, but who the hell knows.  Each one thinks they're the first.

Sure. The least surprising thing any of us will have read today is that an okie thinks okie did something first and is therefore justified in doing whatever the fuck okie feels like doing with the thing. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, is the news that Thompson is down to us and Okie Lite really true/consistent among 995ers? Because it seems like he'd have more suiters and be tougher to land if it is just us two. 

Thompson and Sexton turning into UT/OSU battles is interesting and surprising, no doubt

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Thompson and Sexton turning into UT/OSU battles is interesting and surprising, no doubt

Do you guys believe this is real? I don't.

What does Oklahoma State, a tier 2 academic school, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, which lands recruiting classes in the 30s generally, share with UT other than orange as a base color? When was the last time Ok St got a kid UT or OU really wanted? Xavier Lawson-Kennedy, Bobby Reid, Richetti Jones?

There are circumstances that may shed light on OU falling out on these recruitments. OU alienated Thompson by slow playing him, and then there may have been an effect of Jalen Conyers portaling to Arizona State (which may hurt in the future--maybe this year if injuries). Sexton is more confusing because it looked like OU really made him a priority. But about once every 5 years, an Oklahoma kid gets recruited by UT and wants to go there. Sexton may be that kid this year.

Historically, UT doesn't lose recruitments to Oklahoma State, just like OU doesn't usually have to worry about the Pokes on the recruiting trail. If it's down to different shades of orange, UT should win out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sooner fans really are obsessed. You’d think their ownership of us over the last couple of decades would diminish their tiny dick syndrome, but nope. 
Over a decade of aggy running to another conference hasnt diminshed theirs, why should blowU be any different?

10 hours ago, quigley said:

What does Oklahoma State, a tier 2 academic school, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, which lands recruiting classes in the 30s generally, share with UT other than orange as a base color? When was the last time Ok St got a kid UT or OU really wanted? Xavier Lawson-Kennedy, Bobby Reid, Richetti Jones?

Does this guy count?

https://247sports.com/player/grayson-boomer-92206/

11 hours ago, quigley said:

There are circumstances that may shed light on OU falling out on these recruitments. OU alienated Thompson by slow playing him, and then there may have been an effect of Jalen Conyers portaling to Arizona State (which may hurt in the future--maybe this year if injuries). Sexton is more confusing because it looked like OU really made him a priority. But about once every 5 years, an Oklahoma kid gets recruited by UT and wants to go there. Sexton may be that kid this year.

Historically, UT doesn't lose recruitments to Oklahoma State, just like OU doesn't usually have to worry about the Pokes on the recruiting trail. If it's down to different shades of orange, UT should win out.

Wait. In all seriousness. Are your going to attempt to insinuate that OU, the school located in Norman, Oklahoma, is NOT a tier II academic institution? Show your fucking work. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, ousux said:
On 5/29/2021 at 10:19 AM, Tex Pete said:
Sooner fans really are obsessed. You’d think their ownership of us over the last couple of decades would diminish their tiny dick syndrome, but nope. 

Over a decade of aggy running to another conference hasnt diminshed theirs, why should blowU be any different?

Don’t you want to be better than Aggy?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. In all seriousness. Are your going to attempt to insinuate that OU, the school located in Norman, Oklahoma, is NOT a tier II academic institution? Show your fucking work. 

I’ll show his work for him. OU is 133. OSU is 187.  It’s fucking Rosanne Barr calling Rosie O’donell fat. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

No. If my memory serves me correctly, OU never pushed for Boomer because they preferred Stogner. It seems like OU might have maintained some contact with Boomer after Stogner committed but then cut it off at some point during his underwhelming senior year.

Also, I think I remember OU TFB saying Sexton comes from a family of UT fans. I don't know if there are some alumni in the family or they're just the annoying kind of people who choose to be outgoing fans of a rival school to try to be edgy. Either way, that likely gave UT the boost over OU.

2 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

No. If my memory serves me correctly, OU never pushed for Boomer because they preferred Stogner. It seems like OU might have maintained some contact with Boomer after Stogner committed but then cut it off at some point during his underwhelming senior year.

Also, I think I remember OU TFB saying Sexton comes from a family of UT fans. I don't know if there are some alumni in the family or they're just the annoying kind of people who choose to be outgoing fans of a rival school to try to be edgy. Either way, that likely gave UT the boost over OU.

His dad's a UT fan. He might have just moved for work, you know.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

His dad's a UT fan. He might have just moved for work, you know.

The irony of an OU fan who’s school traditionally has had to feast on Dallas talent whining about guys leaving their state to “be edgy” is lost on no one here except the dumb fucking okie. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

Or... Riley got greedy looking at the big board - and in the process went from leading for Sexton, Iuli, and Agbo to playing from behind. Trying to get them all to slow down their recruitments only for Alabama, Oregon, LSU and Texas to turn up the heat at that time was a shit sandwich served directly to Bedenbaugh and now OU leads for none of those three. Look, I get trying to find some personality issue with the player and his family is preferable to pointing out a recruiting gaffe by the HC but the reality is that Riley wanting to slow things down caused the same exact reaction in 3 guys at the same spot - OU goes from comfortable lead to trailing in the pack. For all three. I don't think they were all trying to be edgy, I think they all got frustrated and felt disrespected. Now OU trails, hence the heat now turned up on Dayne Shor and George Fitzpatrick because Rice, Banks, Booker, Greene the pipe dreams are all drying up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, quigley said:

What does Oklahoma State, a tier 2 academic school, in Stillwater, Oklahoma...

share with UT other than orange as a base color...

1) Ha ha blowu fan with academic OR geographic smack.

2) This take is both lazy and misrepresentative.  Do not ever compare our beautiful burnt orange which is the color of the sunset with their halloween atrociousness.  Good day to you, sir.  I said, GOOD DAY!

81abZbz5woL._AC_UX385_.jpg

3051-2.jpg?v-cache=1565078740

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

2) This take is both lazy and misrepresentative.  Do not ever compare our beautiful burnt orange which is the color of the sunset with their halloween atrociousness.  Good day to you, sir.  I said, GOOD DAY!

2718EAFC-34DD-4B58-90A5-2B3AF7E8EA36.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I read the last part in this, not the Willy  Wonka

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The irony of an OU fan who’s school traditionally has had to feast on Dallas talent whining about guys leaving their state to “be edgy” is lost on no one here except the dumb fucking okie. 

My comment about fandom was intended to be a macro comment on the trend, not a micro comment complaining about Sexton or his family, hence why I left open the possibility that he has UT alumni in his family. I don't remember reading that his family is from Texas, but of course that is a reasonable possibility too.

I was referring to the sociological phenomenon in which some people, almost always those who have no college degree themselves or family collegiate affiliation, decide to choose a random team to support for no apparent reason other than to try to piss off those who live around them. Usually they act like an A&M fan by being incredibly obnoxious and unrealistic about their fandom. Think of an angsty 14 year old who becomes religious because his parents are atheists or becomes an atheist because his parents are religious. In Oklahoma, this means the person becomes a UT or Bama or tOSU fan. I presume there are those in Texas who exhibit the same behavior by becoming an outspoken OU or Bama or tOSU fan. They're annoying as hell, right?

I fully acknowledge OU football has benefited from the phenomenon. That doesn't make those people any less annoying to be around though.

But I admittedly am a really dumb fucking Okie, so everything I write should be taken with a large grain of Himalayan salt.

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

My comment about fandom was intended to be a macro comment on the trend, not a micro comment complaining about Sexton or his family, hence why I left open the possibility that he has UT alumni in his family. I don't remember reading that his family is from Texas, but of course that is a reasonable possibility too.

I was referring to the sociological phenomenon in which some people, almost always those who have no college degree themselves or family collegiate affiliation, decide to choose a random team to support for no apparent reason other than to try to piss off those who live around them. Usually they act like an A&M fan by being incredibly obnoxious and unrealistic about their fandom. Think of an angsty 14 year old who becomes religious because his parents are atheists or becomes an atheist because his parents are religious. In Oklahoma, this means the person becomes a UT or Bama or tOSU fan. I presume there are those in Texas who exhibit the same behavior by becoming an outspoken OU or Bama or tOSU fan. They're annoying as hell, right?

I fully acknowledge OU football has benefited from the phenomenon. That doesn't make those people any less annoying to be around though.

But I admittedly am a really dumb fucking Okie, so everything I write should be taken with a large grain of Himalayan salt.

1) It's a psychological phenomenon. 

2) T-shirt fan complaints are fundamentally bizarre. Give me as many t-shirt fans as we can possibly get. I don't give one flying fuck that somebody chose to start rooting for UT for reasons other than having a degree from the school. We are hated by a shit ton of mouthbreathing shitheads across the nation who I've also never required provenance from for their behaviors, so we'll take the groundswells of support whenever we can find them. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) It's a psychological phenomenon. 

2) T-shirt fan complaints are fundamentally bizarre. Give me as many t-shirt fans as we can possibly get. I don't give one flying fuck that somebody chose to start rooting for UT for reasons other than having a degree from the school. We are hated by a shit ton of mouthbreathing shitheads across the nation who I've also never required provenance from for their behaviors, so we'll take the groundswells of support whenever we can find them. 

1) It's certainly psychological on an individual level, but I was commenting on it from a societal level (i.e., how a similar small group of contrarians tends to develop across different societies and geographic regions). Individual psychological responses lead to sociological trends. So I believe you are right on an individual level and I am right on how that individual psychology leads to a sociological phenomenon. But I'm an attorney, not a psychologist or sociologist, so I'll defer to you if you're more educated on the subjects than I am.

2) Are you not annoyed by OU t-shirt fans though? "Most OU fans didn't even go to OU" is a common retort I've heard from UT fans. I think every school is fine with their own t-shirt fans but annoyed by other teams' t-shirt fans.

4 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

2) Are you not annoyed by OU t-shirt fans though? "Most OU fans didn't even go to OU" is a common retort I've heard from UT fans. I think every school is fine with their own t-shirt fans but annoyed by other teams' t-shirt fans.

I’ve never heard a UT fan say this. I have heard many aTm fans complain about that shit. Furthermore UT fans generally don’t even consider OU graduates as having attended a college anyway so it’s generally an irrelevant concept to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

1) It's certainly psychological on an individual level, but I was commenting on it from a societal level (i.e., how a similar small group of contrarians tends to develop across different societies and geographic regions). Individual psychological responses lead to sociological trends. So I believe you are right on an individual level and I am right on how that individual psychology leads to a sociological phenomenon. But I'm an attorney, not a psychologist or sociologist, so I'll defer to you if you're more educated on the subjects than I am.

Regardless of who says it it's still fucking stupid. I don't give a shit if that methed out yokel hollering incomprehensible gibberish at me outside the Cotton Bowl has a piece of paper from OU or not. He's still a moron.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

They're both national brands in some regard, obviously UT driving higher merch sales and viewership numbers even when they suck, but I will never be ridiculous and claim that OU doesn't carry weight wherever there are CFB fans. Same for ND, OSU, USC, Bama, Michigan and some other random like Miami, I guess. So it never, ever bothers me when I see people who likely didn't go to one of those schools cheering for them.

My dad played at Rice and has rooted for Texas his entire life. He has a scar on his face from a frat party brawl he was in on UT's campus because he and some other dudes wore their Rice jackets in after being invited by some UT girls they knew. Still loves UT. Same for my little brother who played baseball elsewhere and never finished college but loves UT. I'm sure there are 1million stories like that and it's fine by me.

Also, I don't really consider an OU degree as anything more than toilet paper anyway, so they're all t-shirt fans to me. Sorry, might have buried the lede in this post.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Also, I don't really consider an OU degree as anything more than toilet paper anyway, so they're all t-shirt fans to me. Sorry, might have buried the lede in this post.

Ah, dumb fucking Okie and worthless degree in the same day. You're only a meth reference away from describing every person in the state!

Interesting rhetorical thought experiment: What's more valuable as far as actual knowledge and intelligence gained (not economic or social benefit), an easy degree from UT (e.g., communications) or a difficult degree from OU (e.g., chemical engineering)? Or we could take it a step further and make it a comparison between an easy degree at an Ivy League school and a hard degree at a directional school. Or push it even further and compare an easy degree from an Ivy League school to a difficult graduate degree from a directional school.

I'm eternally curious. Left to my own devices, I would practice the Jewish art of midrash on any topic put before me. Please ignore my curiosity if you are not so inclined.

Any education is inherently worthwhile for both the individual as well as society and there are definitely gradations of difficulty in fields of study.  Mostly it's what the individual does with their education that ultimately counts.  That said, blowu is a juco football factory.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Any education is inherently worthwhile for both the individual as well as society and there are definitely gradations of difficulty in fields of study.  Mostly it's what the individual does with their education that ultimately counts.

Amen, my brother. Universal uplift for the betterment of humankind!

2 hours ago, Divided Windows said:

Ah, dumb fucking Okie and worthless degree in the same day. You're only a meth reference away from describing every person in the state!

Interesting rhetorical thought experiment: What's more valuable as far as actual knowledge and intelligence gained (not economic or social benefit), an easy degree from UT (e.g., communications) or a difficult degree from OU (e.g., chemical engineering)? Or we could take it a step further and make it a comparison between an easy degree at an Ivy League school and a hard degree at a directional school. Or push it even further and compare an easy degree from an Ivy League school to a difficult graduate degree from a directional school.

I'm eternally curious. Left to my own devices, I would practice the Jewish art of midrash on any topic put before me. Please ignore my curiosity if you are not so inclined.

Right, right. An institution’s prestige doesn’t affect the success of the student in the long term nearly as much as we think. I remember my roommate telling me that when he told about getting denied at Harvard and MIT. 

I think what’s being discussed here however is the standing institutions ability and quality of the resources it can bring to each of its students. That is a very measurable metric. 

2 hours ago, Divided Windows said:

I don't think I called you a dumb fucking okie, today at least, but I could be wrong.

As a rule, we don't consider candidates with undergrad degrees from OU. I'm not in engineering and I don't need things like PEs, otherwise that could alter things. We can hire local degrees that are as polished or better for what I usually need compared to what we see come through from places like OU. I'm involved with a business in Tulsa and even those guys don't hire OU grads, as they're engineers from Okie State and generally recruit from there or UT, so maybe they're as biased as anyone.

Some of the folks we do hire are Comms degrees from UT. To be clear, and this may have changed slightly since the last time I looked, UT has the #1 Comms school in the nation and that's not an "easy" degree. They produce pretty fucking strong talent, however we want to think about the word talent, so there's not a big need to farm from elsewhere when good candidates are in the back yard and take discounts to stay in Austin. 

Obviously all of this is generalized, but you asked.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some of the folks we do hire are Comms degrees from UT. To be clear, and this may have changed slightly since the last time I looked, UT has the #1 Comms school in the nation and that's not an "easy" degree. They produce pretty fucking strong talent, however we want to think about the word talent, so there's not a big need to farm from elsewhere when good candidates are in the back yard and take discounts to stay in Austin. 

200.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I don't think I called you a dumb fucking okie, today at least, but I could be wrong.

As a rule, we don't consider candidates with undergrad degrees from OU. I'm not in engineering and I don't need things like PEs, otherwise that could alter things. We can hire local degrees that are as polished or better for what I usually need compared to what we see come through from places like OU. I'm involved with a business in Tulsa and even those guys don't hire OU grads, as they're engineers from Okie State and generally recruit from there or UT, so maybe they're as biased as anyone.

Obviously all of this is generalized, but you asked.

Good insight. I did not know UT had a great communications school. That is the "athlete" degree at OU, so I presumed it was easy at UT too. Regardless, I only used communications as a placeholder for an easy degree, and the point stands. If you're going to claim all degree programs at UT are difficult and all UT football players are high level academic prospects who would have gotten into UT if they weren't athletes, I'm afraid we're going to have a fundamental disagreement here. The easy classes and degree programs some athletes take are available to the average student too. My neighbor played LB at Yale said even Yale has joke classes athletes could take.

I live in OKC, and OSU is definitely viewed as the lesser of the two schools academically here. In my experience, the top Tulsa kids who want to stay in state mostly go to OU or even Tulsa, not OSU. Your Tulsa buddies are definitely unreasonably biased. But aren't we all?

Another factor that might be relevant in your case is in my experience at OU, the Texas kids who went to OU went there because they couldn't get into UT. Nearly all of them then return to DFW, Houston, Austin or San Antonio after they graduate. So, if you're recruiting in Texas, I am assuming the OU grads are mostly Texas kids who weren't smart enough to get into UT, which means of course they're going to be lesser than the UT grads because they were lesser before either of the candidates even set foot on campus.

Same was true in law school, by the way. The highest ranked students at OU were nearly all from Oklahoma. The out of state kids only came to OU because it was the highest ranked school they could get into and/or OU offered them the most scholarship money. Most of the top students got accepted into T14 schools but decided to stay home to save money or for family reasons. I bet it's similar at UT's law school.

Ultimately, there's always someone who can look down on us. I'm sure Harvard and Stanford and Oxford grads view a UT grad similarly to the way a UT grad views an OU grad which is similar to the way an OU grad views a directional school grad. Sometimes you just have to shrug and say c'est la vie to our human predilection for ego stroking dick measuring competitions. If we're all rich enough to sit around on a Wednesday afternoon and discuss such matters, we're all rich enough.

2 minutes ago, Divided Windows said:

Good insight. I did not know UT had a great communications school. That is the "athlete" degree at OU, so I presumed it was easy at UT too. Regardless, I only used communications as a placeholder for an easy degree, and the point stands. If you're going to claim all degree programs at UT are difficult and all UT football players are high level academic prospects who would have gotten into UT if they weren't athletes, I'm afraid we're going to have a fundamental disagreement here. The easy classes and degree programs some athletes take are available to the average student too. My neighbor played LB at Yale said even Yale has joke classes athletes could take.

I live in OKC, and OSU is definitely viewed as the lesser of the two schools academically here. In my experience, the top Tulsa kids who want to stay in state mostly go to OU or even Tulsa, not OSU. Your Tulsa buddies are definitely unreasonably biased. But aren't we all?

Another factor that might be relevant in your case is in my experience at OU, the Texas kids who went to OU went there because they couldn't get into UT. Nearly all of them then return to DFW, Houston, Austin or San Antonio after they graduate. So, if you're recruiting in Texas, I am assuming the OU grads are mostly Texas kids who weren't smart enough to get into UT, which means of course they're going to be lesser than the UT grads because they were lesser before either of the candidates even set foot on campus.

Same was true in law school, by the way. The highest ranked students at OU were nearly all from Oklahoma. The out of state kids only came to OU because it was the highest ranked school they could get into and/or OU offered them the most scholarship money. Most of the top students got accepted into T14 schools but decided to stay home to save money or for family reasons. I bet it's similar at UT's law school.

Ultimately, there's always someone who can look down on us. I'm sure Harvard and Stanford and Oxford grads view a UT grad similarly to the way a UT grad views an OU grad which is similar to the way an OU grad views a directional school grad. Sometimes you just have to shrug and say c'est la vie to our human predilection for ego stroking dick measuring competitions. If we're all rich enough to sit around on a Wednesday afternoon and discuss such matters, we're all rich enough.

Jobless meth addicts in trailer parks probably have a free Wednesday afternoon too, sir.