Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

On 11/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, Bill Lumbergh said:

I'm not sold on miles as the x and o coach to turn their roster into a winning team, but I do think he carries enough weight to boost recruiting at least a bit which is a huge need for them.

While not to the same degree, this is a bit like aggy and Jimbo.  Haven't done anything in the field to get recruits excited to play for your school?  Hire someone who has and maybe they'll come play for him.

At best, he still has some good years in him and helps turn it around.  At worst, I think he'll leave the next guy with more talent than he inherited.  Feels like about as good a hire as ku could hope for at this point. 

I think this is the right take. But recruiting didn’t really uptick much even when Mangino was winning. There are a lot of schools between Lawrence and where you have to go to find players.

35 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Why do I think Les Miles is going to be a failure at Kansas?  

If Les could of waited a week or so, Tech would of been more attractive.

Colorado folks wanted to interview Les....... Maybe Les might like the lower pressure job with AD that he's known a long time.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Colorado folks wanted to interview Les....... Maybe Les might like the lower pressure job with AD that he's known a long time.

Have to think that is the case.  He turned down the oregon state job because it didn't have the right AD.  CU just fired their national coach of the year 2 years after he got them to the top of the conference.  Les doesn't have 2 stops left in him.  He can't bet tarnishing his legacy on an AD that won't give him 5 years.  At KU if he gets us to a bowl he will show that a good coach can win anywhere at any time.  If he goes to a school and gets fired after 3 seasons his goose is cooked and he is known as the coach who couldn't win anywhere.  At KU if he loses everyone will say "yeah but kansas."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Have to think that is the case.  He turned down the oregon state job because it didn't have the right AD.  CU just fired their national coach of the year 2 years after he got them to the top of the conference.  Les doesn't have 2 stops left in him.  He can't bet tarnishing his legacy on an AD that won't give him 5 years.  At KU if he gets us to a bowl he will show that a good coach can win anywhere at any time.  If he goes to a school and gets fired after 3 seasons his goose is cooked and he is known as the coach who couldn't win anywhere.  At KU if he loses everyone will say "yeah but kansas."

My bet ...  If Les flops at KU, he's either on ESPN or CBS doing TV for the rest of his working days (see Mack Brown).........   Oh, and selling Dos Equis again.   

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

My bet ...  If Les flops at KU, he's either on ESPN or CBS doing TV for the rest of his working days (see Mack Brown).........   Oh, and selling Dos Equis again.   

No doubt.  The difference is that at KU he will get 5 years to try.  CU just fired a coach who won big 2 years ago.  With Miles' relationship with our AD he knows he will have a long leash extending his coaching career at least 5 years.  At CU it might only last 2-3 years.  If he can't coach he can't coach anymore.  CU v. KU isn't going to change that.  The difference is he has a lot of stability at KU because of the AD and the expectations are also far lower.

For him, in this stage of his career, KU is a better job than CU.  For an up and coming coach, or a middle of their career coach, I wouldn't touch KU with your dick let alone my own dick.

50 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

No doubt.  The difference is that at KU he will get 5 years to try.  CU just fired a coach who won big 2 years ago.  With Miles' relationship with our AD he knows he will have a long leash extending his coaching career at least 5 years.  At CU it might only last 2-3 years.  If he can't coach he can't coach anymore.  CU v. KU isn't going to change that.  The difference is he has a lot of stability at KU because of the AD and the expectations are also far lower.

For him, in this stage of his career, KU is a better job than CU.  For an up and coming coach, or a middle of their career coach, I wouldn't touch KU with your dick let alone my own dick.

Eh, you make a slight point but you aren't putting the Colorado situation into context. Mike is in year 6 and they had lost 5 in a row including blowing a 28 point lead to by far the worst team in the Pac 12, Oregon State, when they decided to fire him at the end of the season. Then once they got blasted by Utah they just decided to make it effective immediately.

4-8, 2-10, 4-9, 10-4, 5-7, and 5-6 ain't exactly worthy of keeping your job. He is a poor mans John Mackovic with lesser athletes. If Les wanted to win Colorado is a much better job, if he simply wants a job and a paycheck, then yes, Kansas is a better job.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:56 PM, satyanash said:

Kansas' athletic director Jeff Long just showed off his stash of 'edibles' on Twitter 😂 His own daughter immediately takes him to task.

I wonder if Jeff's daughter will somehow help to get the Jayhawk-Tiger basketball rivalry back on track..? (I can only hope)...

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I wonder if Jeff's daughter will somehow help to get the Jayhawk-Tiger basketball rivalry back on track..? (I can only hope)...

I don’t think it will happen while Self is in charge. He’s kinda gone out of his way to troll them, since MU needs the game so much worse than KU does...he scheduled home and homes with Colorado and Nebraska and took aTm in the Big 12/SEC deal when Kentucky was already on the schedule.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

I don’t think it will happen while Self is in charge. He’s kinda gone out of his way to troll them, since MU needs the game so much worse than KU does...he scheduled home and homes with Colorado and Nebraska and took aTm in the Big 12/SEC deal when Kentucky was already on the schedule.

Yeah, the only other way it could happen while Self is at KU is if both the Tigers & Jayhawks join the same league...

From the Football Scoop:

Kansas: Quick update in response to a number of questions… Given that Les signed his term sheet on the 16th and it was announced on the 18th; one would think a number of hires would be imminent. We understand Les Miles has had very preliminary discussions with a healthy number of former assistants; but sources tell us Les is being very deliberate (i.e. not getting the responses he thought he might get from potential first choices) in the vetting process. We hear his agent George Bass is now involved, performing a good amount of diligence on potential hires. Sources tell us money is available; but thus far Les hasn’t found the right matches. Stay tuned…

37 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

I like this a lot. MAC recruiter of the year in 2017. Pulled four 3 stars from GA in 2017 (8 total from GA) to Ball State .  Might give us a new territory to recruit in (GA).  He also played at LSU when Pelini was the DC there. 

What other hires has The Mad Hatter made at KU besides Chevis Jackson??

Edited by LTtxfan

It appears that Tony Hull has been retained based on him picking up the pace in recruiting and based on some tweets of his talking about a decision he needed to make.  Allegedly there was a team meeting this weekend with HCLM and the players so KU fans are hopeful that this meeting detailed the staff that would be retained or not retained.  Based on the fact that we haven't hired a DC or OC yet I would guess that means that we aren't looking at position coaches to take a step up but we are going after coaches who have games to play still.

I know some fans are getting restless because the recruiting window is ticking but in my mind I don't really expect OC/DC to be in place for another 2 weeks.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:28 AM, NBMisha said:

* could have

and *would have. The double whammy.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

he's either on ESPN or CBS doing TV for the rest of his working days (see Mack Brown).........

Did you not get the memo?

Was a little worried about this hire initially based on Auburn’s offensive numbers this year. After reading this quote I feel a lot better:

"If Gus would leave (offensive coordinator) Chip Lindsey alone, Auburn would be more explosive. Instead, they lost to Central Florida (in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl) and got the crap kicked out of them by Georgia in the SEC championship game after beating Georgia a few weeks before. And they give him a new contract? For what? Mediocrity?" - anonymous SEC coach

On 12/2/2018 at 8:00 PM, Machinator said:

So Chip Lindsey as OC also hired, plus Chevis Jackson as DB coach.

Not bad so far for The Mad Hatter...... Any more KU FB Staff news??

Call me crazy, but I could see KU Football being better than KState for the next couple of years.....

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Call me crazy, but I could see KU Football being better than KState for the next couple of years.....

Littrell dropping K-State to stay at North fucking Texas of all places was pretty surprising. Apparently they're going after NDSU's coach next.

Can definitely see Kansas overtaking K-State if Miles can retool the roster quickly.

I have a feeling that Les is about to learn the veracity of the SJW campus that doesn't value sports.  That is not to say he should go easy on pooka.  Let's see it play out and then either dump him or keep him based on evidence.  We had this same issue with a basketball player and then video surface of a girl coming up to him and punching him in the face and then throwing herself down some stairs and calling the police saying he assaulted her.  Have to let it play out but I don't think our campus is going to allow that to happen for a football player.  If there isn't a sit in or some other protest in the next few days I'd be surprised.  I'd be very surprised if he is on the team at the end of the semester.

Regarding coaching hires, still nothing other than the OC, Tony Hull (our top recruiter from previous staff), and Chevis.  Those guys are good enough to keep the wheels turning.  I wouldn't be surprised if we name a new DC in the next week.  We haven't heard many rumors at all which when Lindsey was hired we started hearing rumors about 3-4 days before it was announced so take that for what it is worth.

23 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Littrell dropping K-State to stay at North fucking Texas of all places was pretty surprising. Apparently they're going after NDSU's coach next.

Can definitely see Kansas overtaking K-State if Miles can retool the roster quickly.

Many think the KState AD has targeted his previous hire at NDSU all along.  Type of Coach that would come to KState and not leave.....

"Chris Klieman, head coach of North Dakota State, was hired by current K-State Athletic Director Gene Taylor. Since taking over at NDSU, Klieman has racked up a 54- record with the Bison and won three FCS national championships. He says he understands why his name is in the mix for K-State, but says his focus is on his next game leading the Bison.

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I have a feeling that Les is about to learn the veracity of the SJW campus that doesn't value sports.  That is not to say he should go easy on pooka.  Let's see it play out and then either dump him or keep him based on evidence.  We had this same issue with a basketball player and then video surface of a girl coming up to him and punching him in the face and then throwing herself down some stairs and calling the police saying he assaulted her.  Have to let it play out but I don't think our campus is going to allow that to happen for a football player.  If there isn't a sit in or some other protest in the next few days I'd be surprised.  I'd be very surprised if he is on the team at the end of the semester.

Regarding coaching hires, still nothing other than the OC, Tony Hull (our top recruiter from previous staff), and Chevis.  Those guys are good enough to keep the wheels turning.  I wouldn't be surprised if we name a new DC in the next week.  We haven't heard many rumors at all which when Lindsey was hired we started hearing rumors about 3-4 days before it was announced so take that for what it is worth.

Tony Hull staying at KU makes sense with his strong connections in Louisiana since he coached high school football there for several years.... plus I'm sure that Miles and Hull know each other quite well.....

Donte Starks, the #6 ILB in the class of 2019 is taking an official visit to KU.  I don't expect to land this kid or any other kids given the state of the program.  But shit like this is eactly why you hire Miles.  If he wins 4-5 games next year then we will start landing these guys who are just browsing at this point.

Exciting times for KU Football.

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Please keep him because he will be playing for OU next season if you don't 

• Like 2