Kansas is Hopeless...

Jhawk

18 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is still so bad. 

This is the underlying problem with Beaty that almost no one but fans on message boards are calling out.  He gave an interview to the Athletic where he stated he had 69 scholarship players for his first game as coach.  We now have 68 scholarship players.  After we lost to baylor, he stated "I'll say this, they [baylor] were no where near where we were (when he took over).  We were down 30 scholarships, they're not even remotely close to that.  So I said that there are some things that they are facing but they are not even close to where we were and we're still not there..... But that's no excuse."  

Then we find out that baylor traveled like 75 guys (TOTAL, INCLUDING WALK ONS) to their game at KU in 2017.  Further, 4 weeks prior to the game Beaty told the press that we had 84 scholarship guys.  The funny thing is, he wasn't complaining about scholarships at all when we beat UT and he was signing his contract extension.

Not only is Beaty utterly incompetent as a coach, he is huckster.  He constantly lies to cover his ass regarding scholarship players.  I mentioned it on a KU board, at this point I wish the press would give him a free pass.  We don't need a potential coaching candidate to hear more analysis from the FIFTH worst head coach in college history.  They might just look at the coach in charge and say "That guys says you have 70 players on roster?  That really means you have 7-10 on the roster, I'll wait it out for a better opportunity."  Beaty discredits himself every time he opens his mouth.  

For the record, I look up the worst coaches in history:

1. Rick Venturi - Northwestern - 1-31-1 (0.0303)

2. Rich Vorris - UVA - 1-29 (.0333)

3. Rob McNeish - VTech - 1-25-3 (.0344)

4. Stan Parrish - KSU - 2-30-1 (.0606)

5 David Beaty - KU - 3-33-0 (.083)

No head coach under a .105 win percentage has ever gotten a 4th season like Beaty is.

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is the underlying problem with Beaty that almost no one but fans on message boards are calling out.  He gave an interview to the Athletic where he stated he had 69 scholarship players for his first game as coach.  We now have 68 scholarship players.  After we lost to baylor, he stated "I'll say this, they [baylor] were no where near where we were (when he took over).  We were down 30 scholarships, they're not even remotely close to that.  So I said that there are some things that they are facing but they are not even close to where we were and we're still not there..... But that's no excuse."  

Then we find out that baylor traveled like 75 guys to their game at KU in 2017.  Further, 4 weeks prior to the game Beaty told the press that we had 84 scholarship guys.

Not only is Beaty utterly incompetent as a coach, he is huckster.  He constantly lies to cover his ass regarding scholarship players.  I mentioned it on a KU board, at this point I wish the press would give him a free pass.  We don't need a potential coaching candidate to hear more analysis from the FIFTH worst head coach in college history.  They might just look at the coach in charge and say "That guys says you have 70 players on roster?  That really means you have 7-10 on the roster, I'll wait it out for a better opportunity."  Beaty discredits himself every time he opens his mouth.  

For the record, I look up the worst coaches in history:

1. Rick Venturi - Northwestern - 1-31-1 (0.0303)

2. Rich Vorris - UVA - 1-29 (.0333)

3. Rob McNeish - VTech - 1-25-3 (.0344)

4. Stan Parrish - KSU - 2-30-1 (.0606)

5 David Beaty - KU - 3-33-0 (.083)

No head coach under a .105 win percentage has ever gotten a 4th season like Beaty is.

Well he damned sure deserved it after having to walk in the shadow of the great Charlie Weis. 

I don't mean to be offensive when I say this, but if that is your biggest grip with Beaty you haven't watched more than 1-2 football games in your entire life and your parents and grandparents probably have never even seen a football or pronounced the word football.

Beaty is an absolute travesty that has been perpetrated on the university of kansas.  His hire, when guys like Matt Rhule are taking the baylor job knowing how shitty that place is, cannot be described as anything but a high crime against the university.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If I were an AD at Kansas, I would go break the bank for Mike Leach... and have 85 Scholarships.

If we get anyone that is a current head coach then it will be a relative home run.  I'd take leach in a second but he has stated that he will never coach a game in the state of texas again.  Coming from the pirate, I believe it.

Popular names being thrown out right now are the following: Les Miles, Dave Doreen, Bert, Willie Fritz, Kiffin.

I don't know about Fritz but I would take any of those in a heartbeat.  Bert would get embarrassed by the conference but he would at least win 5 games a year.

40 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

If we get anyone that is a current head coach then it will be a relative home run.  I'd take leach in a second but he has stated that he will never coach a game in the state of texas again.  Coming from the pirate, I believe it.

Popular names being thrown out right now are the following: Les Miles, Dave Doreen, Bert, Willie Fritz, Kiffin.

I don't know about Fritz but I would take any of those in a heartbeat.  Bert would get embarrassed by the conference but he would at least win 5 games a year.

Bert has already said he may never come back to the college game because he likes the NFL so much. Kiffin would jump ship the moment something else came along and I doubt he would leave FAU for Kansas, and I would be very surprised if Lester would go to Kansas to coach. I could see Fritz making the jump, but even Doeren would be a stretch in my mind. You could also raid the ISU staff and see if they can copy the blueprint that Matt Campbell has put in place.  

Edited by Vertigo

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Bert has already said he may never come back to the college game because he likes the NFL so much. Kiffin would jump ship the moment something else came along and I doubt he would leave FAU for Kansas, and I would be very surprised if Lester would go to Kansas to coach. I could see Fritz making the jump, but even Doeren would be a stretch in my mind. You could also raid the ISU staff and see if they can copy the blueprint that Matt Campbell has put in place.  

I agree with all of this.  Though bert being bert, he might just be saying that because he knows he's going to get a call from Long and he wants to start negotiating now.

Miles is interesting to me.  He interviewed at oregon state so he isn't necessarily looking for a successful program.  His gripe there was the leadership at the university.  It also came out that Long interviewed him at arky.  Kiffin leaving ASAP wouldn't be a problem because that would mean he did something good for us.  We can't be afraid of success. Doeren would only move because the NCST AD is a catastrophe, but the KU one isn't much better right now as it sits.

We can't be afraid to win even if that winning means 1 season of a coach.  If Kiffin came to lawrence and won 8 games and left we shouldn't see that as we lost a good coach.  We shoudl see that as we have proven that you can win at KU.  That instantly makes us more attractive for the next guy.  We will always be a stepping stone school if we have success.  That is a better brand than being a coach killer school though.

I think Les would give us a fair look.  I don't think he would take the job but would be thrilled if he got a call.  I think we reasonably should reach out to Schiano, Miles, the pirate is a guy you call, and probably give a guy like Leavitt a call.  You can't call 20 people because then it becomes a mess.  You call 2 guys that are over your head (Miles and Kiffin?) and then you go to a list of guys who you know you're going to be able to get.  For many schools that is an up and coming coordinator or a hot head coach working his way up.  Those guy don't come to a coach killer like KU.  For KU that is going to be a guy who needs to repair his image most likely.  Schiano, Leavitt, Pelini, maybe Fedora will be gone by the end of the year.  Those are the tier 2 guys that have a ton of upside and their phone hasn't been ringing.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:37 AM, qwertyu1234 said:

The biggest gripe i have with him is the conservative play calling. In the rare big 12 game that is close, he won't go for it on 4th down when they're obviously not playing for a bowl berth or anything of significance. 

Beaty has no clue how to manage the roster, no clue on clock management. In his 4th year, he doesn’t know who his starting QB is yet, is hoping a transfer from Houston will be the starting center because he doesn’t have a backup for the starter who had to retire for medical reasons. My all time favorite is the defensive coordinator who is “ one of the brightest minds in the game” presided over the 129th best defense in the country. Plenty of gripes to go around

Beaty has no clue how to manage the roster, no clue on clock management. In his 4th year, he doesn’t know who his starting QB is yet, is hoping a transfer from Houston will be the starting center because he doesn’t have a backup for the starter who had to retire for medical reasons. My all time favorite is the defensive coordinator who is “ one of the brightest minds in the game” presided over the 129th best defense in the country. Plenty of gripes to go around

This sounds like an alternate reality where Charlie Strong went to Kansas. It's actually kind of eerie.

I'd still take Beaty as WR coach here.

There are a lot of coaches available to KU that are either unemployed ex-P5 HCs, working as a P5 coordinator, or currently the HC at a non-P5 school. The trick is to find one that can win 6 games a year on a regular basis. I think it's a doable situation. Miles, Gary Barnett, Jim Leavitt, Kiffin, Schiano, or any random MAC HC would be an improvement. Not having a 85 scholarship guys at the start of the 4 season is purely a HC failure. I have no idea why they hired Beatty anyway.

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Schiano is there for the taking... he got screwed over in the Tennessee debacle. Get him while his stock is down.

He built up the Rutgers program. I'd take that chance, but KU is full of SJW's and easily offended BMDs (I'm not one) who would raise cain. A lot of people were upset when Zenger got released. KU is building a new indoor practice facility on the west side of the stadium because they couldn't cover the practice fields on the southeast side of the stadium because of the architecture and the city of Lawrence. No one wants a Morton Building on the BACK side of the campus.

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Schiano is there for the taking... he got screwed over in the Tennessee debacle. Get him while his stock is down.

A "safer option" is already known will prove results... #BackUpTheBrinksTruck...

giphy.gif

On 7/20/2018 at 11:33 PM, Huckleberry said:

I'd still take Beaty as WR coach here.

Beaty at Texas would be tasty. Beaty might suck as a head coach but he can recruit his ass off at a decent to good school. 

I actually think a big reason there was a drop off at A&M in recruiting had a lot to do with losing Beaty. 

Edited by texasstrong12

You do not want Beaty.  He has supposedly pissed off Texas high school coaches somehow. His biggest selling point when he was hired was that he could recruit TX lights out. The rumor he is not welcome in TX high schools is probably true based on the number of TX kids he has been getting. 

Texas kids recruited to KU under Beaty:

2015: 17

2016: 10

2017:  5

2018: 2

You want to go after RB coach and Asst. Head Coach Tony Hull. He is the guy killing it in recruiting and why we have landed a handful of four stars out of LA the last couple years.

1 hour ago, Jhawkmvp said:

You do not want Beaty.  He has supposedly pissed off Texas high school coaches somehow. His biggest selling point when he was hired was that he could recruit TX lights out. The rumor he is not welcome in TX high schools is probably true based on the number of TX kids he has been getting. 

You want to go after RB coach and Asst. Head Coach Tony Hull. He is the guy killing it in recruiting and why we have landed a handful of four stars out of LA the last couple years.

Or, in the case of Kansas, it could be a endless cycle where recruits don't really want to go there until the coaching proves to turn things around... And if course, things are much harder to turn around in a situation where the athletes won't commit in being the centerpieces of change...

2 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

1-Everything pisses off Texas HS coaches. 

2-It's almost like Texas HS recruits don't want to play for a coach that wins 1 or 2 games a year when there's better in state options. 

3-The decrease in Texas HS recruits probably has a lot to do with Beaty going so JUCO heavy. 

4-Beaty will absolutely kill it on the recruiting trail at Texas. If if happens. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

Everyone kills it at Texas when you guys are good, and often when you are not.  Texas is a legendary FB program, is a great university, and located in a fun place. It pretty much recruits itself.  But feel free to pick him up when he gets canned.

6 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

I will still watch them even though they're this bad. Sports really are a sickness.

Here is a clip from 2008 vs Oklahoma State, to help appease the pain until the Jayhawk program is in better hands:

20 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Everyone kills it at Texas when you guys are good, and often when you are not.  Texas is a legendary FB program, is a great university, and located in a fun place. It pretty much recruits itself.  But feel free to pick him up when he gets canned.

In 3 years at A&M this is who Beaty helped A&M land as the primary or secondary recruiter: 

Myles Garrett (#2 national recruit)

Speedy Noil (#10 national recruit)

RSJ (#24 national recruit)

Nick Harvey (#60 national recruit)

Frank Iheanacho (#88 national recruit)

Sebastian Larue (#144 national recruit)

Kam Miles (#146 national recruit)

Laquvionte Gonzalez (#156 national recruit)

Daeshon Hall (#177 composite recruit)

Ishmael Wilson (#215 composite recruit)

Kenny Hill (#241 composite recruit)

Nobody in state wants to see Beaty as a position coach at Texas. He will be a problem on the recruiting trail. 

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

In 3 years at A&M this is who Beaty helped A&M land as the primary or secondary recruiter: 

Myles Garrett (#2 national recruit)

Speedy Noil (#10 national recruit)

RSJ (#24 national recruit)

Nick Harvey (#60 national recruit)

Frank Iheanacho (#88 national recruit)

Sebastian Larue (#144 national recruit)

Kam Miles (#146 national recruit)

Laquvionte Gonzalez (#156 national recruit)

Daeshon Hall (#177 composite recruit)

Ishmael Wilson (#215 composite recruit)

Kenny Hill (#241 composite recruit)

Nobody in state wants to see Beaty as a position coach at Texas. He will be a problem on the recruiting trail. 

Not only can he recruit, he can actually coach our receivers to block.  I'd love to have him as WR coach.