Ski Season 2020/2021

PRONG HORN

15 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The Beavers is awesome... all the stuff on the back is great.  My last visit, I gorged myself on a giant charcuterie board during a late lunch at the restaurant up at 12,000 feet.  I stepped outside feeling super full and bloated and decided to take the East Wall Traverse over to the Land of Giants.  I wanted to vomit the whole way down. 

#badideajeans 

I've been twice since the Zuma lift was installed and it's been shut down both times.  Hoping 3rd time is the charm this year.

My last run of the day at A-Basin (well, I've only been twice) always starts with Land of the Giants.  I usually only do it that one time because traverses are the worst part of snowboarding.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 12/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is there not a 2021/2022 ski season thread ?

Trips booked in late January, and March to Breck.

February RV ski safari in Co. route to be determined.

April RV ski safari from Maine back down thru Vermonts corn snow season.

Mondays in Snowshoe.

The goal is a min of 45 days this season.  Need to get those days in while I can still get after it the way I want to.

XMAS week - Taos

New Years Week - Bridger Bowl and Big Sky MT

MLK - Taos

Pres Day - Taos

Spring and Late Spring - Backcountry Ski/Road Trips planned in NM CO and MT

Goal is 25+ days this year (17 last year).  Ditto on getting days in while you can still get after it...My ski buddy convinced me of going for it in your late 40's and 50's because you are only one injury away from not being able to ski the terrain we currently do...Good advice and this philosophy worked on the wifey (no pics) when I convinced her to let me go heli skiing in Alaska a few year ago 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

The Beavers is awesome... all the stuff on the back is great.  My last visit, I gorged myself on a giant charcuterie board during a late lunch at the restaurant up at 12,000 feet.  I stepped outside feeling super full and bloated and decided to take the East Wall Traverse over to the Land of Giants.  I wanted to vomit the whole way down. 

#badideajeans 

Maybe it's age, but man although A-B is my go-to CO resort, the last 2 times I had attacks of altitude sickness (which has only happened to me there). I guess because it's so damn high.  Fortunately both happened on "get to" slopes, not on the steeps.  But I spent something like 5 hours one day in the Ski Patrol clinic, barfing and wanting my life to end it hurt so bad.  Got to the hotel, laid down for a few mins. and it was gone.

Not sure I want to go to A-B again, at least unless I've been at altitude for awhile.

NB:  Getting old sucks.

I've always been pretty lucky with my ability to handle altitude, although it's put my dick in the dirt a few times.  More than once, I've left Iowa late one afternoon, driven straight through the night to a trailhead, and hiked a 14er without any acclimation.  I would not recommend that.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Maybe it's age, but man although A-B is my go-to CO resort, the last 2 times I had attacks of altitude sickness (which has only happened to me there). I guess because it's so damn high.  Fortunately both happened on "get to" slopes, not on the steeps.  But I spent something like 5 hours one day in the Ski Patrol clinic, barfing and wanting my life to end it hurt so bad.  Got to the hotel, laid down for a few mins. and it was gone.

Not sure I want to go to A-B again, at least unless I've been at altitude for awhile.

Thankfully the need to barf was fully due to too much food.  It was a reaaaallly good charcuterie board and I was skiing by myself and, well, there are starving kids in Africa.  I seem to do OK with altitude and thankfully the kids too, too.  I learned a long time ago to drink lots of water... hopefully that keeps the oldiness at bay.  

This year we'll drive AUS to Santa Fe.  Stay overnight and then drive to CB.  Should help a bit.

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I had my first bout of altitude sickness in Telluride last year.  I was OK the first few days but always felt a bit short of breath.  Night four, I was up all night just feeling "off".  Puked a bit that next morning and sat the next day out in prep for a HeliSki trip.  Just chilled on the couch while the others skied and caught up on work.  I nutted up and got after it Heliskiing, but damn, it hurt.  It was all I could do to walk back to my truck after the helicopter dropped us off.  My wife was finishing up a spa treatment at The Peaks and watched my sorry ass stop a half dozen times to catch my breath on the 100 yd walk back.  Never been so tired in my entire life.  Not sure why the altitude sickness got me that time.  I was in as good of shape as ever, drank plenty of water, avoided alcohol and did all the right things, but it hit me like a ton of bricks.  

On 12/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, Chewbacca said:

I don't know about dump.  We've gotten a few inches and it's supposed to keep snowing for most of the week, but we're well behind where we should be at this point in the year.

Aspen Highlands snowfall so far.

A0361693-9EF9-403C-8927-EA47A75F8CE0.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Did a little more research, and it looks like our pass does not apply to A-Basin.  We got a 3 day Epic pass, so from our VRBO in Silverthorne I have Keystone, Breck, and Vail as my best options.  I love Vail, really like Keystone, and don't love Breck, but my wife loves the town and I'll probably end up doing a day there so the womens can have their shopping day or whatever.

I noticed on Keystone's trail map that there is snow cat assisted skiing that's designated as "Epic upgrade".  Does any know if that's something that comes with Epic, or is it an additional upgrade one would have to elect?

On 12/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

A little off topic, but doing a remodel and will be out of the house for several months. thinking of renting in Colorado for the summer. Any recs on best towns/areas to make the most of summer mountain activities?

i'll put in a shameless plug:

carbondale, co

you couldn't ask for a better location if you want everything 'CO' right outside your doorstep. you're also an easy drive to anywhere else in CO you might want to go (not including durango/pagosa).

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

carbondale, co

you couldn't ask for a better location if you want everything 'CO' right outside your doorstep. you're also an easy drive to anywhere else in CO you might want to go (not including durango/pagosa).

My mom and I used to go to Carbondale a bunch when I was in hs/middle school.  The golf down there is world class too.

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

carbondale, co

And you might know a house that is on VRBO, too?

On 12/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Axle Hongsnort said:

A little off topic, but doing a remodel and will be out of the house for several months. thinking of renting in Colorado for the summer. Any recs on best towns/areas to make the most of summer mountain activities?

• Telluride
  • Ouray
  • Durango
  • Crested Butte
  • Gunnison
  • Aspen 
  • Basalt

That would be my list.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I haven't been skiing in a few years so my memory of equipment needed has faded. Do yall recommend ski pants only or the ski pants with straps that go over the shoulder like overalls? I probably sound like a dumbass for wording it like that but whatever 

Jeans and Scotchgard should be good for you.  And you don't need a helmet, just wear your cowboy hat.

Edited by Chewbacca

22 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I haven't been skiing in a few years so my memory of equipment needed has faded. Do yall recommend ski pants only or the ski pants with straps that go over the shoulder like overalls? I probably sound like a dumbass for wording it like that but whatever 

More serious reply. Doesn't matter. Just be conformable. Also Sierra Trading post online has a lot of decent stuff for good prices

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Fify, no room

That's a shame.  Nice place you got there.  I really enjoyed that 11th Street Station area.  Had some good Thai food and a few beers there last time I was down there.  Wanted to hit up Ska but I didn't want to drive and we were staying downtown.

If you think your going to be wiping out regularly, then go with the over the shoulder overalls so snow does ride up your back or down your pants when you have a yard sale.

23 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
On 12/16/2021 at 5:20 PM, HRSchenker said:

If you think your going to be wiping out regularly, then go with the over the shoulder overalls so snow does ride up your back or down your pants when you have a yard sale.

I went 5 years in between trips, was in worse shape, and was skiing blacks by the first afternoon.  It’s like riding a bike.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:40 PM, conVINCEd said:

I went 5 years in between trips, was in worse shape, and was skiing blacks by the first afternoon.  It’s like riding a bike.

Just sometimes technique takes a backseat when there's a big gap so I've found a quick advanced lesson gets bad habits worked out.  Plus those instructors can show you the mountain and the best runs.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

anybody know anything about Chile? looking for a family friendly hill...

Well you won’t find any hills till June or July but Portillo is the best resort there according to several friends who’ve made that summer trip.  It’s all above the tree line.  Very euro resort feel.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well you won’t find any hills till June or July but Portillo is the best resort there according to several friends who’ve made that summer trip.  It’s all above the tree line.  Very euro resort feel.

Internet is telling me it’s not a good hill for little ones though…