The way too early prediction poll

PatSolitanojr

The way too early prediction poll   

303 members have voted

1. 1. How many regular season games will Texas win in Tom Herman's second year?

• 6 or under (I love being miserable)
    • 7 (I remain pessimistic until proven otherwise)
    • 8 (I am reasonable and expect moderate improvements)
    • 9 (Seems high, but it's not)
    • 10 (Koolaid intensifies)
    • 11 (We are reaching unfathomable levels of winning)
    • 12 (Show me a loss)

18 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Having watched their Spring game, I gotta agree.  I choose to believe that the defensive lapses last year were due to being new to Orlando's way of doing things. There's no way that antiquated offense ought to produce diddly squat against Orlando & Co. this year. And Maryland's defense looks like lukewarm dog shit. Lose that game, and start the countdown to a new coach, pure and simple.

Were they under center a lot like what LSU did last year?

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Were they under center a lot like what LSU did last year?

They looked nothing like LSU; Canada is a chamaeleon. Clearly, he is convinced that Maryland needs to run an offense very similar to what they ran last year to have any hope of success. He's probably right.

They will probably have an improved passing game, actually, just based on having a better pocket passer in the game, and schematically, they will be a little tighter. TEXAS made them look much better, though, last year. The reality is that they sucked then, too.

21 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Having watched their Spring game, I gotta agree.  I choose to believe that the defensive lapses last year were due to being new to Orlando's way of doing things. There's no way that antiquated offense ought to produce diddly squat against Orlando & Co. this year. And Maryland's defense looks like lukewarm dog shit. Lose that game, and start the countdown to a new coach, pure and simple.

There's no doubt the defense just didn't quite show up last year, whether it was due to first game jitters or what.  But Orlando's defense does struggle some against offenses that run a lot of heavier formations that include a a lot of misdirection, like K State and Maryland. Orlando slants his defenses constantly. This tends to work very well against spread teams. However, teams that run a lot of misdirection can catch Orlando's defense in a bad spot. Our defense should absolutely have a better showing than last year, however our scheme doesn't match up as well against Maryland as most other teams on our schedule.

23 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

..and Colt is nowhere near as good as Colt with last year's line and Tim fucking Beck is my point.

QB’s play worse when they have an inferior line and inferior coaching. Who knew?

Now let’s remember that Colt was constantly runnning for his life behind subpar O lines his last two years here, all while playing for an OC who was reviled. Colt and Sam aren’t in the same class. They don’t even go to the same school.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

..and Colt is nowhere near as good as Colt with last year's line and Tim fucking Beck is my point.

The only position with a clear advantage that Colt had was WR and that is because of Jordan Shipley. Both rosters had abysmal back fields, terrible lines and play callers, are you going to argue that James Kirkendoll, Dan Bucker and Malcolm Williams were world beaters? Tre Newton, Vondrell McGee and Cody Johnson just scared opposing defenses. Colt succeeded in 2009 because he was experienced and had the ability to make quick reads, something Sam lacks the ability to do. I'm not claiming that Colt would've repeated the results of 2009 last season because it's nothing more than speculation, but he would've been significantly better than the poor play at QB we witnessed last season.

1 minute ago, Chad said:

The only position with a clear advantage that Colt had was WR and that is because of Jordan Shipley. Both rosters had abysmal back fields, terrible lines and play callers, are you going to argue that James Kirkendoll, Dan Bucker and Malcolm Williams were world beaters? Tre Newton, Vondrell McGee and Cody Johnson just scared opposing defenses. Colt succeeded in 2009 because he was experienced and had the ability to make quick reads, something Sam lacks the ability to do. I'm not claiming that Colt would've repeated the results of 2009 last season because it's nothing more than speculation, but he would've been significantly better than the poor play at QB we witnessed last season.

BigBenBamboozle was comparing to the 2006 offense, not the 2009 offense.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chad said:

So our true sophomore QB with 9 games played doesn’t have the same ability to read defenses and make quick throws that our senior, 4 year starter and 2nd winningest QB in ncaa history had?  Got it. 

32 minutes ago, Chad said:

2006, aka comparing true freshmen seasons.  That comparison had Colt with Selvin (SR) and Jamaal Charles (member him?) behind Studdard and Blalock, and throwing to Cosby, Shipley, Sweed, and Pittman.  I'm not saying Ehlinger is on Colt's level, just that ctj and other's constant railing on Sam may be better served to have a little context and a little fucking perspective. When Studdard and Blalock left, you also saw a drop in efficiency from Colt his SO season, almost as if (bear with me here) OL plays a huge role in QB/RB output. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

2006, aka comparing true freshmen seasons.  That comparison had Colt with Selvin (SR) and Jamaal Charles (member him?) behind Studdard and Blalock, and throwing to Cosby, Shipley, Sweed, and Pittman.  I'm not saying Ehlinger is on Colt's level, just that ctj and other's constant railing on Sam may be better served to have a little context and a little fucking perspective. When Studdard and Blalock left, you also saw a drop in efficiency from Colt his SO season, almost as if (bear with me here) OL plays a huge role in QB/RB output. 

This^.  Colt was a redshirt freshman in 2006 and Sam was a true freshman last year.   Colt inherited most of VY's championship offense in his redshirt freshman 2006 season.  In 2007 with a shitty OL, Colt's team almost lost to Arkansas State and did lose to KState Aggy and OU.  When he was a junior Colt came in to his own and the rest is history.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

Sticking to my prediction of 8-4 for now. I didn't really expect the spring game to change my mind either way, and it didn't. Feel slightly more bullish about the front 7 and WRs than I did before, but OL depth and Tim Beck calling plays keep me from chugging Kool Aid.

• Like 1

I'm high on the defense, in particular our pass defense with our DEs and the freshmen at LB and DB looking game ready in the O/W game.
But I see our offense as a limitation again. Not the festering wound it was last year, but it didn't improve enough to get us where we want to be.

We'll be competitive in all of our games but we'll drop a few and get upset at least once. 

I'm going with 9 regular seasons. I liked what I saw yesterday, and feel the oline will be considerably better once the missing bodies show up in August. We will score more points than last year. 

The D looks game ready. And it too was missing key parts. Todd Orlando n staff have done a spectacular job. 

If we get Rowland to continue to kick like the mizzou game, and the new Aussie punter picks even 3/4 of the way from the Ray guy winner from last year, we're going to contend in a conference that has a ton of QB question marks all over the place

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

I'm going with 9 regular seasons. I liked what I saw yesterday, and feel the oline will be considerably better once the missing bodies show up in August. We will score more points than last year. 

The D looks game ready. And it too was missing key parts. Todd Orlando n staff have done a spectacular job. 

If we get Rowland to continue to kick like the mizzou game, and the new Aussie punter picks even 3/4 of the way from the Ray guy winner from last year, we're going to contend in a conference that has a ton of QB question marks all over the place

Dicker, not Rowland. And our Polish-Australian wizard will take some time to get there, but the raw materials are in place to have another Ray Guy winner by the time he's done on the 40. Dude's got a legit rocket; just needs to learn to use it.

I say just a small improvement in the offense will take this team into competitive status late into the year; not ready for the playoffs yet, but hell and gone better than where we've been for a long, long time.

9 increases it's lead after the spring game.  That's a positive sign.  I went with 9 but could be double digits with a favorable bowl match up.  Could be the koolade/beer but this team looked improved yesterday.    

On 4/20/2018 at 8:34 AM, Goo Punch said:

Nowhere near as good as Colt? Yeah, I’m gonna go with nowhere near as good as Colt.

Not sure about that.  Handing off to JC makes things a lot easier. Regardless, the negative sentiment around Sam is laughable. He’s shown more promise than anyone since Colt (aside from Oregon St Ash) and he’s a true sophomore. 

And people still talk about Buechele as if he’s an option. He’s not. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:59 PM, Chad said:

Ummm, ‘06 had JC and a still-stacked OL. Pay attention to the hypothetical details. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, Machinator said:

Sticking to my prediction of 8-4 for now. I didn't really expect the spring game to change my mind either way, and it didn't. Feel slightly more bullish about the front 7 and WRs than I did before, but OL depth and Tim Beck calling plays keep me from chugging Kool Aid.

Gagree 

On 4/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, PatSolitanojr said:

I'll wait for a win over USC to get hyped, but if we lose to TCU for the 5th time in a row I'll jump off the west side of DKR.

So you might be close to jumping?

On 4/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, Artificial Iverson said:

losses -- MD, USC, OU, Tech, KSU .. 5 losses, 7-5 and bowl 

Losses— Clemson, Bama, Arky, So Car, Auburn, MSU, LSU ..7 losses, 5-7 and home for Holidays. 

Probably not worth starting a new thread over this - sports book O/U on season win totals for the Big 12 (no bowl game):

Looks about right to me for us.  Vegas has had us at about 6 or 7 wins for the past several years now. 

Time for us to prove them wrong (I wouldn't bet on it though).  

Probably not worth starting a new thread over this - sports book O/U on season win totals for the Big 12 (no bowl game):
Looks about right to me for us.  Vegas has had us at about 6 or 7 wins for the past several years now. 
Rock Chalkers have to feel pretty good about that..

On 4/20/2018 at 12:59 PM, Chad said:

Cody Johnson is underrated by our fan base. Dude was a TD machine, automatic. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Thanks for sharing. If Sam can get on the right meds this season and avoid some of the worst plays in recent time, we beat Vegas.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 12:48 AM, satyanash said:

Waffled hard between six or seven wins. In the end I went with six, but I do believe there' a decent change we reach seven as well if we get lucky with injures.

Beyond that, though... our O-line is still subpar, our front 7 (front 6?) doesn't have enough depth, and our QBs continue to be up and down. And of course, Beck. Reading the tenor of the spring practice reports really drives home how many holes this team still has. I honestly think the Maryland game is a toss-up. After that, we have a tough early stretch to content with and we could be looking at trying to salvage bowl hopes after another sub-.500 start.

6-6 is still our most likely trajectory in a vacuum I think. The worry is our schedule is front-loaded, and USC, @KSU, TCU, and blOU are all likely losses unless we can whip ourselves into shape quickly. That leaves us 1-5 at the midpoint of the season, with WVU and Okie State stilll waiting.

Edited by satyanash