2020 NBA Offseason Thread (Abbreviated) -- Draft, Free Agency, Trades, etc

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Didnt realize he was actually from NYC.   He was my favorite player in the draft honestly.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Same here. NY kid - so it makes Knicks Sense. 

Agree Obi is a Top 8 pick, just there was so much pre-draft talk about Halliburton to the Knicks...

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Didnt realize he was actually from NYC.   He was my favorite player in the draft honestly.

Loved him at Dayton but don't like him in the lotto.  He'll be good for some highlight dunks but he's a truly awful defender and already maxed out physically (he's the same age as Jayson Tatum).

His absolute ceiling is probably Antoine Walker.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Message Board User said:

Loved him at Dayton but don't like him in the lotto.  He'll be good for some highlight dunks but he's a truly awful defender and already maxed out physically (he's the same age as Jayson Tatum).

Not seeing the Walker comparison.

Just now, Message Board User said:

yeah I refuse to subscribe to the thought that 23 yr olds are tapped out physically.   

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

yeah I refuse to subscribe to the thought that 23 yr olds are tapped out physically.   

In a weak draft, getting him at 8 is OK - I see just see him as an empty stats guy on a losing team that other good teams are going to target relentlessly when he's on defense.

I doubt he ever develops into a top 2 guy on a good team (which the Knicks will never be in the near future, so he may be a perfect fit).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, d2o said:

The picks have to be made before the trades can be announced.

Under the current rules.  The rules need to change.  The NFL does it right.  Goddell gets up there mid-first round and says, “There has been a trade,  the Packers have traded the rights to Aaron Rodgers for picks # 19, #67, and #120.”

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Under the current rules.  The rules need to change.  The NFL does it right.  Goddell gets up there mid-first round and says, “There has been a trade,  the Packers have traded the rights to Aaron Rodgers for picks # 19, #67, and #120.”

its in part at least because of the stepien rule.   Teams cant trade picks in back to back yrs.   they can however trade the rights of a player once he player is picked.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

its in part at least because of the stepien rule.   Teams cant trade picks in back to back yrs.   they can however trade the rights of a player once he player is picked.

I get it.  They could make it a little easier to understand for people who are halfway paying attention was my point.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Damn..... Fucking sucks.

Yeah just saw Cowturd report Klay out for the season... THAT SUCKS!!!

Really glad Klay got that new contract though... "He will make $35.361 million in the 2020-2021 season, regardless of whether or not he steps on the court."

https://www.ibtimes.com/klay-thompson-contract-how-much-golden-state-warriors-star-could-earn-while-injured-3085542

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Damn..... Fucking sucks.

That really does suck all the way around. Sucks for him. Sucks for the Warriors. Sucks for the league. I was really looking forward to seeing them try to take on the Lakers, but unless Wiseman is a lot further along than I think, they will struggle to make the playoffs. They certainly aren't a title contender without him. The rest of that roster outside of Draymond is Wiggins, Looney and a bunch of replacement level players.

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That really does suck all the way around. Sucks for him. Sucks for the Warriors. Sucks for the league. I was really looking forward to seeing them try to take on the Lakers, but unless Wiseman is a lot further along than I think, they will struggle to make the playoffs. They certainly aren't a title contender without him. The rest of that roster outside of Draymond is Wiggins, Looney and a bunch of replacement level players.

Yea, that roster is sort of bare and with the injury, they may not be looked at as serious playoff contenders and therefore ring hunting cheap vets may not be as willing to sign.  I think they can push for a playoff spot if Steph has one more great season left in him and Draymond is in shape.  Wiseman and Looney and maybe Chriss along with Green give them a solid front court but now they need some scoring and playmaking.  Still free agency so we'll have to see what they can pull off, but their fortunes probably rest in Wiggins.  Yikes.  In if he can finally become a good player or maybe if they want to sell some future assets to get his contract off the roster.  What also is a beating is now you're talking about Steph being 34 and Klay being 32 by the time a playoffs come around again where they're both possibly healthy.  Players are getting better at extending their careers but that's an older back court.  They do have 2 first rounders next season including Minny's.  Next season may be the last stand for the Splash Brothers.

This is what happens when you have no played in so long and you come back and train hard. Sucks for him. Many people forgot all about GSW after their injuries and terrible season last year (coupled with the pandemic). They got a high pick and were going to be healthy and seeing what they could do. I think they could have been a top 4 seed and a legit threat to the Lakers. Now it looks like they will be another lottery team. Steph is not carrying this team or that roster. They need Klay.