The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Anybody in Texas should be fucking embarrassed.  Well, all of us as Americans should be sad and embarrassed.  

For what it's worth, that's a state court sentence that she will serve less than half of. Manafort is down for 0.85x47 months. 

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

For what it's worth, that's a state court sentence that she will serve less than half of. Manafort is down for 0.85x47 months. 

That honestly does make me feel a little better.  Still BS but each extra day in the slammer is one more day to get his ass stretched.  So, I’ll take it.  

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He's a white collar criminal. He isn't going to a supermax. He's going somewhere with dorm rooms where they don't lock the doors.

Yeah, non-violent crime, less than 10 year sentence, he will be at low or minimum, possibly medical. 

I bet Jackson gives him about 5, consecutive.  She won't stack the two charges because they're basically the same criminal episode, but since it's unrelated to the ED Va case, I bet she makes it consecutive rather than concurrent.

58 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bad Take: "Manafort should spend more time in prison because <person with lesser offense> got <x-amount more time than Manafort>."

Good take: "We should reduce prison sentences across the whole spectrum and 4 years is a long time to be in prison for a 69-year-old man who committed non-violent offenses."

Hell no.  You only get 2-3 yrs for major financial crimes?  People will defraud Medicare for 25M.  Go buy an 18M house in FL that can’t be taken because of the homestead law.  Go do a couple years and sell that house.  You’re set forever.  Fuck that noise.  

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hell no.  You only get 2-3 yrs for major financial crimes?  People will defraud Medicare for 25M.  Go buy an 18M house in FL that can’t be taken because of the homestead law.  Go do a couple years and sell that house.  You’re set forever.  Fuck that noise.  

Then take the house and levy massive financial penalties.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Then take the house and levy massive financial penalties.

States rights, bro.  The feds have tried several times to fuck with FL's homestead bullshit.  Not gonna happen.

Saw FL off and let them float off into the great beyond?  I'm all for that but it's not a solution. 

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah, white collar criminals need the most punishment IMO, not less.  And lol at Manafort being a “non-violent” criminal.  He has more blood on his hand than most militaries.  The dude was a political mercenary for some of the most brutal and despotic pieces of shit in the world.  On top of that, he is an international mobster. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, white collar criminals need the most punishment IMO, not less.

Sure, fine, but prison is not the only punishment. Make him live on a living wage the rest of his life. Never let him own more than a 1994 Toyota Tercel and efficiency apartment. Strip him of all foreign travel privileges.

There are plenty of ways to punish people, but we need to stop thinking of prison as our primary vehicle.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Sure, fine, but prison is not the only punishment. Make him live on a living wage the rest of his life. Never let him own more than a 1994 Toyota Tercel and efficiency apartment. Strip him of all foreign travel privileges.

There are plenty of ways to punish people, but we need to stop thinking of prison as our primary vehicle.

That I can agree with.

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Damn, I thought you were against capital punishment?  The fuck?  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, non-violent crime, less than 10 year sentence, he will be at low or minimum, possibly medical. 

I bet Jackson gives him about 5, consecutive.  She won't stack the two charges because they're basically the same criminal episode, but since it's unrelated to the ED Va case, I bet she makes it consecutive rather than concurrent.

I'm thinking she's going to make sure he spends about ten years in prison total. That way he'll be close to 80 when and if he's released.

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

What gave you that idea? Haven't you seen his posts about guillotines?

Bernie needs to come out to this song when he accepts the nomination at the DNC in Wisconsin. Then Boots Riley comes out with dozens of guillotines.

Hillary

Podesta

Washingmachine-Schultz

Pelosi

Schumer

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BERN GOD

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie needs to come out to this song when he accepts the nomination at the DNC in Wisconsin. Then Boots Riley comes out with dozens of guillotines.

Hillary

Podesta

Washingmachine-Schultz

Pelosi

Schumer

MORE BLOOD FOR THE BERN GOD

The DNC is never going to let a non-Democrat be the nominee.

You need to prepare yourself for that.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The DNC is never going to let a non-Democrat be the nominee.

You need to prepare yourself for that.

*jerks thumb over shoulder*

get a load'a this guy

[edit]

But seriously, if Bernie wins the popular vote in the primaries and/or the majority of pledged delegates and is screwed out with supers or other shenanigans, the Democratic Party will break into pieces.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Look, I voted for him in 2016. I just think it's obvious that he's not going to be allowed to be the nominee. That's the party's prerogative.

Sadly, I think the Democratic Party is weak enough to allow a Bernie takeover.  I’m kind of expecting it. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sadly, I think the Democratic Party is weak enough to allow a Bernie takeover.  I’m kind of expecting it. 

We're going to find out.

I'm not going to vote for him in the primary, but I'll support him if he's the nominee. I just don't think he's going to be the nominee.

I wouldn't mind being wrong.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Homesteads don't apply against the IRS or the feds pursuing restitution or fines.

Other than that, I basically agree with b_t.  

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

we got hella people/they got helicopters

they got the bombs and we got the, we got the guillotine

you better run

I've gotta admit.

It's catchy as shit.

This is the sort of thing that "traditional" country club, noblesses obliges conservatives seemed to have understood in our past: You pay more in taxes to keep the mob at bay or you get the "let them eat cake" crowd after your ass.

While some say we're too fat and lazy for a revolution of similar sort, I'm kind of amazed that we've held it together this long.

Anger is brewing. You can either get out in front of it or it will eventually eat you alive.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Homesteads don't apply against the IRS or the feds pursuing restitution or fines.

Other than that, I basically agree with b_t.  

I've got two cases in FL we're following with Medicare fraud where there's a lot of restitution due and the house is still there with the family in it.  The sentences were handed down a while ago including restitution but I'll see if I can look into what's the hold up.  Entirely possible they claimed that part of the money was legit.  FL is home to the most MC fraud in the country, by a lot.  MC fraud is infuriating to providers practicing the right way as we all get screwed. 

But I maintain, it's very easy to move and shuffle money by the time you're facing jail time.  Put in too little time and it only encourages that type of activity.  

I also agree with BT on principle, but actually enforcing that type of punishment is much easier in theory vs practice.  But I'm all about emptying the jails that are full of the drug offenders.  That's a stain on this entire country. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wasn't it like dozens of times?

It was a lot. I lost count.

It is entirely abnormal, however, as Kushner has had to amend his SF-86 clearance form dozens of times after he omitted key meetings with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyack, the head of state-run Vnesheconombank Sergey Gorkov, and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya, among nearly 100 others. He has amended his financial disclosure form 39 times.

https://thinkprogress.org/its-been-385-days-and-jared-kushner-still-doesnt-have-a-permanent-security-clearance-e58c4f7dfa8f/