DC, NYC Metro and other Cities BBQ

Mdhorn

May as well start a thread rather than desecrate the Texas BBQ thread with this mumbo jumbo.  Now, before I begin about DC bbq, let's clear up one major thing--the term pit master does not refer to a pit but usually a machine smoker of some sorts.  Space is a premium in the big cities so everything is machine for large batches of meats.  I hate the term as applied here but whatever.  The number one place here is pretty good though. However, most places I've liked really fall off after a few years so I'm hoping the Riverdale market brick and mortar does not.  It's pretty good for these parts.  Also most latinos here are Salvadorans and not Mexicans, so Mexican food is made by Salvadorans, so it's not as good as what is offered in Texas.  But if you visit, these are the places so far in DC metro.  And prepare to be disappointed.  #1 is good, though, and I'm content.  Their sides though--are sparse offerings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2020/11/10/best-barbecue-dc-maryland-virginia/?arc404=true

Edited by Mdhorn

The only good place in NYC is Hometown in Red Hook, and it is fucking glorious. 

Hometown is the best hands down.

Other NYC:
Mighty Quinn’s(multiple locations)is pretty good and has some of the best sides of any BBQ joint If you’re into that.
Hill Country(DC and NYC)- way too inconsistent
Dinosaur-LOL, wings are good there.
Morgan’s- heard it started decent and went to shit.
Fette Sau- same as above, started good and went downhill
Mables in Williamsburg is ok at best, esp if you’re drunk.
John Brown KC style in LIC is actually decent and a hidden gem.
Brother Jimmy’s- lol, you go for the drinks.
Blue smoke- “upscale”, mediocre.
Never tried Arrogant Swine in Bushwick.

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

Other NYC:
Mighty Quinn’s(multiple locations)is pretty good and has some of the best sides of any BBQ joint If you’re into that.

Have said the same thing about Hill Country in DC.  One day it's alright, the next it's dry.  Don't know if I was getting the leftovers from the day before or if it was just dry.  Will need to try Hometown next time I'm in NYC, since NYC is only a few hours vs 1400 miles to Texas.  

Have said the same thing about Hill Country in DC.  One day it's alright, the next it's dry.  Don't know if I was getting the leftovers from the day before or if it was just dry.  Will need to try Hometown next time I'm in NYC, since NYC is only a few hours vs 1400 miles to Texas.  

The brisket, ribs and sausage at Hometown are all very good. Obviously not Central Texas good, but really damn good.

But the best thing I’ve ever had at Hometown was the smoked pastrami sandwich. Holy shit, I’m drooling just thinking about it.

Their Instagram picture is here https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgGk7CgtTe/?igshid=1ittant7f4xmf.

But my shitty iPhone photo is below and much more representative

d4a0c156b5e069621431337ba180eeac.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

This place isn't in DC?

spacer.png

Unfortunately, fictional. And if this is any indication of anything similar, well, let's just leave it alone cause these places suck:

https://postshowrecaps.com/house-of-cards-bbq-freddys-ribs-washington-dc-food/

Mr. P's was given good revues by Tim Carmen that writes for WaPo.  So I went.  I looked for the bus which is what was his operation.  His review didn't say anything about a goateed woman serving me and her beard hair was longer than her neck.  I looked around the bus and swear I saw the guy Mr. P taking care of #1 into a glass jar.   Mr. P(ee) is right but where do you go when your business is a bus?  I dunno but I left that place alone.    And does Kenny's look good from that picture?  I went to Inspire and it just seemed shady and didn't really stick around very long.  It had irregular hours other than it's posted hours, was out of a lot of food, take out only and seemed like a place that really wasn't all that into food.  

Edited by Mdhorn

8 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Other NYC:

Ahem...Dallas BBQ?

Ahem...Dallas BBQ?

Hahaha, I know sarcasm but this place is beyond Disgusting. I even had the nerve to order some Hennessy wings because I knew not to order the “BBQ”. They were mutant and the size of smaller turkey wings. Texture was gross.

It’s just another place where to go for the diabetes drinks and some ghetto tail.

I can’t believe all locations seem packed(pre-COVID) but again, people there pack Applebee’s.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Texas Jack's (#3 in OP's link) today for lunch. Thought the food was solid. Definitely a step or two below places like Valentinas, 2m, Franklin etc.

Brisket wasn't dry and well seasoned. Fat could've been rendered a little more though.

Ribs were cooked and seasoned well. Just seasoned with salt and pepper so they were nothing special.

Place looks like it has a good bourbon selection and is open for dinner. Would go to get a bbq fix and watch a game once everything opens up again.

166589876_txjack.thumb.jpeg.bd5b396505848507c6dd4cc096f092b7.jpeg