LA Food Suggestions

Hornsfan863

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

What part of LA?

I really really enjoyed Cassia in Santa Monica.  Technically I believe it’s Thai, but I think you could also say there is a heavy comfort food influence. 

Good question - we're in the Miracle Mile/Mid-Wilshire area. But I've added Cassia to my list

2 hours ago, Hornsfan863 said:

Good question - we're in the Miracle Mile/Mid-Wilshire area. But I've added Cassia to my list

You're not far from Koreatown -- tons of options there if you like Korean. 

Republique on La Brea for French.

There are a couple Irish pubs on Fairfax within a few blocks of each other -- Molly Malone's and Tom Bergin's.  Can't vouch for the food at either place, but they're good for a pint or two.  I haven't been to Bergin's since it changed ownership, though.

Canter's Deli (farther north on Fairfax) is your classic Jewish deli with good sandwiches.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, ShouldaMarriedAStripper said:

"Most overrated xiaolongbao on earth", you mean. 

Very location dependent. There are internet arguments over whether they're actually different/better in different locations, as they control supply chain and preparation very strictly, so product should be the same at any of their branches. As someone who eats it regularly in many countries, it's definitely location dependent. Good location on a good day, I'd put them up against any on earth.

Sam

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Very location dependent. There are internet arguments over whether they're actually different/better in different locations, as they control supply chain and preparation very strictly, so product should be the same at any of their branches. As someone who eats it regularly in many countries, it's definitely location dependent. Good location on a good day, I'd put them up against any on earth.

Sam

Yeah but the thread is about Los Angeles food recommendations. I've been to both Arcadia locations numerous times, and tried the Century City one once, and have never had what you call a "good day" when compared to the xiaolongbao you can get in Asia (including the Din Tai Fung's I've been to in Taiwan and Hong Kong.)

IMO, not worth the wait on an L.A. visit.

44 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Every time this question comes up I rep the sandwiches at Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica.

Noooooooo, damn hipsters have ruined Bay Cities already. Oh well, since the cat's out of the bag on this thread, Pro tip: order online and pick up your sandwiches and you can avoid the long "take a number" wait. Just go to the far left instead of to the right, and there's a rack against the wall where the online orders are put when they're ready. Can still take a while these days, so order them 30 minutes before you think you'll arrive or you'll end up waiting around anyway. 

• 5 months later...

Son of a Gun and Toca Madera are not to far from Miracle Mile/Mid-Wilshire and I've always had a good meal at both.  Hell along 3rd street and La Cienega is damn restaurant row. Mix of chains and independents. The Little Door has some interesting people watching--food is pretty straight forward but interesting date kinda place. 

Also, if you are wanting some places out of the general area you asked about then make your way over to The Tasting Kitchen in Venice on Abbot Kinney. Great food, scenery and drinks. 

Edited by Errestaurants

• 4 years later...

I was planning on sharing a recommendation for Antonio’s on Melrose and was looking them up on Google Maps but couldn’t find them.  Unfortunately, I found news that they closed last year:

https://beverlypress.com/2022/03/cheers-to-you-antonio/

Antonio and his restaurant was awesome.  Delicious and he was a fantastic person and host.  Bummer.

39 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Any rec's in he Century City area?  Will be there this week for the US Open.

No, but you're not far from Mid-Wilshire which has tons of incredible spots. Here are some guides:

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/neighborhoods/beverly-hills

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/neighborhoods/beverly-grove

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/neighborhoods/mid-wilshire

Throwing Santa Monica in there too:

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/neighborhoods/santa-monica

• Hook 'Em 1