Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

7 minutes ago, coachherman'sgrill said:
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
FOAT WUTH STAR TELEGRAM...
It’s not about a flag. TCU football coach loses it again after losing to SMU | Opinion
BY MAC ENGEL    UPDATED SEPTEMBER 30, 2021 9:39 AM
Mt. Gary is still an active volcano, and just because it’s 61 years old doesn’t mean it’s not prone to explode.
That Gary Patterson popped after losing to SMU on Saturday isn’t the surprise; the shocker is the timing, which is ultimately why this latest eruption is embarrassing.
Just take the L, and move on to Texas.
Typically the TCU coach who wears his emotions not just on his sleeve but also his face, sunglasses, visor, shirt, pants, socks and shoes, is prone to lose his stuffing 20 minutes after a loss. Those sometimes illogical rants are logical.
But when it comes to SMU, Gary can’t keep it together at any time.
Gary’s entertaining rant on Tuesday at his weekly press conference was 72 hours after TCU’s home loss to SMU, and GP “at his best.”
“I cannot substantiate that it was a SMU or TCU person, but it did happen,” Patterson said on Tuesday of assistant coach Jerry Kill, who has battled serious health issues over the years, was hit and fell to the ground amid SMU’s celebration/chaos.
“If we wouldn’t have had the flags, it wouldn’t have happened. OK?”
Twice in this rant Patterson said he could “not substantiate” his claims.
If you can’t substantiate the claims either don’t say it, don’t say it, or don’t say it. Or, find a different word.
Because this is not about a flag.
Gary is upset that his team lost, and that his defense had it handed to him by little SMU for the second straight game in this series in Fort Worth.
TCU has allowed little SMU to score 40 points in Fort Worth in their last two meetings. The last time little SMU scored 40 in consecutive games against TCU was 1977 and ‘78.
On Saturday, Gary was irked that some SMU players pulled a Baker Mayfield and tried to “plant” the SMU flag at midfield at Amon G. Carter Stadium after the win.
That led to the postgame scuffle, which resulted in Kill sustaining a concussion. There is nothing funny about that.
Patterson said this was all coordinated and planned. He may be right.
Here is what that extensive planning would have sounded like: “Hey, SMU video team, when our players celebrate on the field after the game, get video of it.”
SMU denied Gary’s allegations. Athletic director Rick Hart went so far as to issue a statement, and called Patterson’s accusations “a complete fabrication.”
Social media is mostly trash, but one of its great developments are accounts from teams that don’t take themselves too seriously and use TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for fun.
@SMUFootball posted a video on its Twitter account after the win and used one of Patterson’s country songs as the soundtrack.
Gary didn’t like that, either.
There is one way to avoid all of this — beat them.
And TCU normally beats SMU, but when the Frogs don’t ... don’t be around this coach.
The other notable times Mt. Gary has popped after playing SMU:
Sept. 21, 2019.
After the Frogs lost at home to SMU 41-38, Gary was not happy with his primary offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie.
Gary was so not happy that he did something he’s never done before, or since, that date. He made Cumbie available to the media after a game.
Gary’s explanation for this was because he wanted “somebody that could actually answer” questions about the quarterback.
Oct. 2011.
Two days after TCU’s overtime loss to SMU in Fort Worth, Patterson made a point to rip the Conference USA officiating crew during a conference call with reporters.
“I’d be quiet if I thought the person in charge of the officiating crew came out and said it wasn’t very good, but they didn’t. I have a hard time with people who don’t admit mistakes. I have to do it all the time,” he said. “I have their names (of the officials). They won’t ever come back to this stadium again.”
The next day, during his midweek press conference, after what he perceived as a slight from then coach SMU coach June Jones about his program, he ranted about SMU.
“They’re getting no help from Gary Patterson,” Patterson said. “They shouldn’t ask me about going into a conference, they shouldn’t ask me about how they played, they shouldn’t ask me about their players, they shouldn’t ask me about anything because they’re not getting any help, period, anymore.
“We’ve bent over backwards to make sure that they improved their program because I believe that’s what you do.”
The next year, a few days before TCU played SMU in Dallas, Gary said, “If I was going to do a press conference over again last year what I would tell you is after watching the film SMU kicked our butts on both sides of the ball.
“Am I still disappointed in some things? Yeah, but the bottom line is if I want to do that I can just call (Jones) on the phone. I don’t need to say it in front of a camera. If I’m going to be the person I’m going to be and I’m going to teach young people to be the right people then I’ve got to act right, too. Simple as that. But I’m still not taking back what I said about the officials.”
It’s 2021, and while Mt. Gary may be 61 he’s still an active volcano.
Because this isn’t about a flag.
This is about losing to SMU.
And losing to SMU at home is a good way to watch Mt. Gary erupt.

Damn......

Man, that is some good stuff.  I miss Randy Galloway and his take on all of this.  Hook 'em!

I think Patterson's complaining all week about SMU's post-game celebration was just out of desperation. Patterson knows that TCU is a program in decline. For the first time, SMU is legitimately pushing TCU as the premier team in DFW and he's scared. Without UT/OU's coattails to hang onto and when new teams join the Big XII, I think TCU Football will be in big trouble 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Say what ???

Told y'all.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, ztejas said:

- Zach Evans is a nice back but doesn't seem to be that workmanlike yet - especially behind their OL which seems fairly porous. I'd expect him to have a few nice scampers but he isn't going for 220 on 28 carries or anything like that. 

Marcel Brooks just went on a long Snapchat rant.  Coach pulled him into his office and told him another WR passed him on the depth chart.  Said he started for a national champion but TCU is trash and losing and playing the same (slur) every week. Said TCU sucks.

• Haha 1

"But maybe the need for a Snickers isn’t the problem and Patterson is just reacting to the dawning understanding that he’s now incapable of sustaining the success that helped the Horned Frogs make it into the Big 12 and win consistently — TCU is 20-19 since the start of the 2018 season."

Gary Patterson can stop worrying about Bijan Robinson

On Tuesday, the TCU head coach feigned concern about Robinson’s work load in an attempt to excuse his staff’s poor usage of Zach Evans. If he’s not going to mind his own business, he at least has reason to set aside those concerns.

usa_today_16877361.0.jpg

By Wescunt Eberts@SBN_Wescott  Oct 5, 2021

Maybe Gary Patterson just needs a Snickers.

If you’re not yourself when you’re hungry, it certainly seems like the TCU Horned Frogs head coach has been hungry a lot since the loss to the SMU Mustangs, the aftermath of which included unsubstantiated claims that an SMU player knocked down TCU assistant Jerry Kill following the game.

After Saturday’s 32-27 loss to the Texas Longhorns, during which the Horned Frogs came within a yard of allowing the Longhorns to take a 39-20 lead, Patterson claimed that TCU played better despite getting out-gained 414-351, allowing 272 rushing yards, and losing the turnover battle, 3-1.

Then on Tuesday, Patterson tried to use Texas sophomore running back Bijan Robinson’s workload against TCU to excuse the poor usage of his own sophomore running back, Zach Evans, launching into an explanation that lasted for nearly two minutes.

“Number one, I would never do it 35 carries a game like they did for the guy at Texas if you want to make it four years,” Patterson said. “I mean, you’ve got to be very careful about that. So, that’s his call, it’s not mine.”

Yeah, the last part is correct and important — it’s not any of Patterson’s business how Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian allocates touches to his running back. And while Patterson admitted that Evans isn’t likely to be at TCU for four years, he somehow conveniently forgot or failed to realize that Robinson almost certainly won’t spend a fourth year at Texas.

Other claims by Patterson don’t stand up much better to any sort of scrutiny.

“If you watch, I think was one of the reasons why we were able to stop Texas on that fourth down is because he was tired,” Patterson said.

Maybe so, but Robinson had come out of the game for two plays on that drive after runs of 17 yards, 14 yards, and 17 yards and still had enough energy left to close out TCU with six straight runs on the final drive, including the crucial 3rd and 6 that iced the game.

As for concerns about Robinson’s workload moving forward, Patterson’s insinuation that Robinson will continue receiving 35 carries a game is absurd.

“You look over 12 ballgames and you go, 35, that’s a lot,” Patterson. “That’s a lot of touches, for the body when you’re getting in big ball games, now you’re getting into Big 12 play, that’s a lot of touches.”

But Robinson isn’t carrying the ball 35 times per game — his season and career high before the TCU game was 20 carries against Louisiana in the season opener — and nothing in Sarkisan’s history suggests that Robinson will receive that many carries in more than one or two games for the rest of the season.

The heaviest workload for a running back under Sarkisian came in 2013, when Washington’s Bishop Sankey finished No. 3 nationally in attempts per game and No. 4 in overall attempts. Sankey carried the ball 35 times against Illinois, 40 times against Arizona, and 34 times against Washington State. A heavy load, to be sure, but Sankey didn’t seem to wear down — he ran for 474 yards on 78 carries (6.1 yards per carry) with six touchdowns over the final three games that season.

Then Sankey avoided any concerns about how many carries he might receive as a senior by declaring early for the NFL Draft and becoming a second-round selection.

Beyond Patterson’s lack of familiarity with Sarkisian’s history of running back usage and the utter meaninglessness of his opinion on Robinson’s workload, Sarkisian feels confident about his star running back’s durability moving forward.

“We’ll monitor it between myself, Coach [Stan] Drayton, and Coach [Kyle] Flood,” Sarkisian said on Monday. “We’ve got a lot of experience dealing with running backs and workloads and how to manage that and specific days and build up to the game. So we’ll definitely manage it, we’ll monitor it, but you know, Bijan feels great if you ask him, I think he feels really good. I think he came out of the game extremely healthy. He’s obviously in really good physical condition. That helps.”

But, again, no one was asking for Evans to get 35 touches on Saturday and Patterson just wanted to use Robinson’s workload to deflect from the fact that his staff failed to get the ball to Evans often enough.

Patterson argued that it’s easy to fans or writers to have opinions about the distribution of carries and he’s right — it was easy to recognize, even in real time, that 15 carries for Evans wasn’t enough in a game during which the Horned Frogs desperately needed the type of explosive plays Evans is capable of producing to overcome the fourth-quarter deficit.

After the game, Patterson argued that Evans was tired, but that still doesn’t explain why Kendre Miller and Emari Demarcado received nine combined carries that only produced 32 yards.

Most egregiously, after Evans asked out of the game one carry after running for 33 yards in the third quarter, he wasn’t on the field for the crucial three and out after Texas took a 32-20 lead in the fourth quarter. Patterson can deflect all he wants about how the TCU staff used Evans, but he can’t successfully defend keeping his best player on the sideline for the game’s most important drive.

Even if Evans was too tired to get back on the field for that key possession, Patterson is the one ultimately responsible for ensuring that a second-year player who was able to gain plenty of muscle during the offseason is well conditioned enough to receive more than 20 touches in a game.

But maybe the need for a Snickers isn’t the problem and Patterson is just reacting to the dawning understanding that he’s now incapable of sustaining the success that helped the Horned Frogs make it into the Big 12 and win consistently — TCU is 20-19 since the start of the 2018 season.

Whatever Patterson’s major malfunction may be, he can stop worrying about Bijan Robinson. He’s going to be fine, and if someone is giving him 35 carries in a game in 2023, it’s not going to be at Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

We've got a fight on the tcu sideline after late hit by tcu player... two tcu players threw punches, and 1 k-state player threw a punch.  All 3 players disqualified.  

K-State  21                3rd quarter has 7:11 left

tcu           5

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Chandler Morris now playing QB for tcu late in 3rd quarter -- not sure if Duggan is hurt or benched ??  

Duggan has been playing with a broken foot that happened at the end of the Texas Tech game.  I would not be surprised if these are not Gary's last few games.

Edited by Big Frog II