2021 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If that’s their play, they probably moved to early. Now watch the Pats get punked by some team trading up with the Dolphins or Lions. 

There are certainly some badass players available (outside the QBs) in the first round. Same for rounds two and three. If Pats move up to 8...they increase their odds of getting a WR I would covet. Not sure what happens with the QBs. I wonder if Cincy will go OLine or weapon for Burrow.

It's hard to think Sam won't get drafted at least in the 4th or 5th round with 5 or 6 QBs going in the 1st round, and probably a few more in the 2nd.

It’s pretty easy to think that he won’t. In fact, it’s pretty unlikely. He’s short (for a QB) and slow (for the NFL) and he’s not particularly accurate. I think best odds are 1) undrafted FA 2) Round 6-7 3) Round 4-5.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Adam Schefter and most of the NFLN guys were quarter past midnight about Ebron. After the Lions took him, he was supposed to be the versatile weapon that finally put them and Stafford over the top in the NFC North. 

Schefter doesn’t even do draft analysis. Here’s a lions blog post about the pick saying it was generally graded a C to a B, which is what I remember. He was thought to be a first round pick, but more like the back half of the first round. Picking him at 10 was a reach. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/5/9/5700070/2014-nfl-draft-grades-eric-ebron

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It would be awesome if Pitts had a career like Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates. He’s not the same type of TE and I get it. I wonder if there will be teams in a year or two that will regret not making the move for him vs this years crop of QBs. 

I can give two shits how many receiving yards /touchdowns Pitts get in his career. IMO to be the goat at TE you also have to put your hand in the dirt and block. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can give two shits how many receiving yards /touchdowns Pitts get in his career. IMO to be the goat at TE you also have to put your hand in the dirt and block. 

That’s why Gronk is the best ever.  Best blocking tight end I have seen and a matchup nightmare that could catch anything.  I am slightly biased however.  

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Teddy Bridgewater agreed to restructure his contract with Broncos 

Jon Heath            April 28, 2021 

The Denver Broncos are trading a sixth-round pick to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for 28-year-old quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, according to multiple reports.  To get the deal done, Bridgewater agreed to restructure his contract.  The veteran QB is now scheduled to become a free agent in 2022 (he was originally set to earn $21 million next year), according to KUSA-TV’s Mike Klis. Denver will only pay $3 million of Bridgewater’s guaranteed salary and Carolina will pick up the remaining $7 million, according to Klis.

Bridgewater will be an affordable QB for the Broncos, who will pay him “a small salary” this year, according to Klis. The opportunity to compete with Drew Lock for a starting job was likely an appealing option for Bridgewater.  Bridgewater (6-2, 215 pounds) was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round of the 2014 NFL draft after an accomplished carer at Louisville. He quickly showed signs of promise in the NFL, earning NFL.com’s Rookie of the Year award in 2014 before going on to earn a Pro Bowl nod in 2015.

After a promising first two seasons, Bridgewater tore his ACL during the 2016 offseason and missed his entire third year in the NFL. The injury also caused Bridgewater to miss most of the 2017 season as well.

After spending almost two full seasons on reserve, Bridgewater signed with the New York Jets in the spring of 2018. That summer, New York traded Bridgewater to the New Orleans Saints. He started in one game that season.  The following season, Bridgewater started in five games in the place of an injured Drew Brees and the Saints went 5-0 in those contests. After spending two seasons in New Orleans, Bridgewater signed a three-year deal with the Panthers in 2020.

Bridgewater started in 15 games in Carolina last season, but the Panthers struggled, posting a 4-11 record with Bridgewater as a starter. After acquiring Sam Darnold from the Jets earlier this offseason, Carolina made Bridgewater available on the trade block.  Bridgewater will now join his fifth team in as many years. He’s set to reunite with George Paton, who was an assistant general manager in Minnesota when the Vikings drafted Bridgewater.

Also from another article... OUCH

Bridgewater agreed to renegotiate his deal, ESPN’s David Newton reported. Still, the Panthers will be left with $17 million in dead money against the salary cap this year, according to overthecap.com. Bridgewater signed a free-agent deal with $33 million fully guaranteed last off-season. The lack of value the Panthers got for that money was one of the factors that led to the dismissal in December of general manager Marty Hurney, who has been replaced by Scott Fitterer.

Edited by LTtxfan

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Some other reporters connected to the Patriots refuted this and said the Patriots are not working on a Jimmy G trade at this time.  I fully expect Belichick to trade up in this draft to where Fields slides to.  He will then pass on Fields and draft a  Division 3 safety that nobody has ever heard of that 5 years from now will turn out to be a really good player but it will piss of the Pats fan base.  It’s what we come to expect in the draft every year.  Maybe this is the year he surprises me and takes the QB of the future and uses draft capital to get him.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Some other reporters connected to the Patriots refuted this and said the Patriots are not working on a Jimmy G trade at this time.  I fully expect Belichick to trade up in this draft to where Fields slides to.  He will then pass on Fields and draft a  Division 3 safety that nobody has ever heard of that 5 years from now will turn out to be a really good player but it will piss of the Pats fan base.  It’s what we come to expect in the draft every year.  Maybe this is the year he surprises me and takes the QB of the future and uses draft capital to get him.

Probably a lot more likely to be a bust tbh. Belichek hasn’t hit on a 1st round pick since like 2012. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Probably a lot more likely to be a bust tbh. Belichek hasn’t hit on a 1st round pick since like 2012. 

They also had 3 years with no first round pick and were always picking towards the bottom of the first round and taking flyers on players.  Yes they did miss a lot but Malcom Brown, Michel and Wynn aren't busts they are just solid NFL players so I wouldn't call that a bust.  He usually does well when picking higher up so we will see.  Now you want to talk his history with drafting WR's or 2nd round safeties then yeah he is horrific.  He then counters that with pulling star OL's and CB's out of thin air.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They also had 3 years with no first round pick and were always picking towards the bottom of the first round and taking flyers on players.  Yes they did miss a lot but Malcom Brown, Michel and Wynn aren't busts they are just solid NFL players so I wouldn't call that a bust.  He usually does well when picking higher up so we will see.  Now you want to talk his history with drafting WR's or 2nd round safeties then yeah he is horrific.  He then counters that with pulling star OL's and CB's out of thin air.

Sony Michel is absolutely a bust. Brown’s been ok but y’all didn’t keep him for a second contract, which is one commonly used measurement of first round pick success. The jury’s still out on Wynn, but he’s barely played in 3 years so he’s trending that way. 

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

I haven’t been following closely, can anyone explain how Ossai went from what seemed like a surefire first round pick to MAYBE a second rounder since the season ended? I understand Cosmi’s tumble, but Ossai makes no sense to me.

Scouts starting watching tape and realized that he still has a ways to go as a technical pass rusher. He's been winning with effort and by being a physical specimen.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Scouts starting watching tape and realized that he still has a ways to go as a technical pass rusher. He's been winning with effort and by being a physical specimen.

To build on this, I've seen some indications that he is a bit stiff while pass rushing.

Even with that, I'm surprised that Jenkins from OSU is going to go in the 1st. Ossai really dominated him that game, including the sack on the pivotal play.

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

To build on this, I've seen some indications that he is a bit stiff while pass rushing.

Even with that, I'm surprised that Jenkins from OSU is going to go in the 1st. Ossai really dominated him that game, including the sack on the pivotal play.

That's not true, though. Teven had plenty of wins vs. Ossai.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

Going to respectfully disagree. There's a few highlights where Jenkins does really well on, but he does struggle quite a bit on speed and when he can't engage due to athletism/arm length. Watching some of the highlights, he also is going to risk getting called for holds with some of his handplacement where the Big XII doesn't tend to call it as often. 

The problem I have with him as a prospect is that, to me, it's highly likely that he bumps down to a G where he'll be good. If you are picking in the 1st, I'd tend to go with someone who has the potential to be a LT, particularly as studies have shown that it is the overall quality instead of individual players that make up an OL (i.e., can get depth better in second and later rounds).

Edited by GabrielsHorn

I will say, though, that I am wrong. Ossai did most of his damage to the LT, but it looks like Texas mainly had Taquon/Jones up against Jenkins looking at the highlights. Must have gotten caught up in remembering Ossai making some big plays. Still maintain that Jenkins is long-term a guard and isn't a tackle, though.

Edited by GabrielsHorn

24 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I haven’t been following closely, can anyone explain how Ossai went from what seemed like a surefire first round pick to MAYBE a second rounder since the season ended? I understand Cosmi’s tumble, but Ossai makes no sense to me.

He was never a sure fire first round pick. 

He will very likely go before the end of the second round and still has a chance at being a late first. 

8 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

He’s explosive, but he struggles some to corner the edge. The best drill for this skill is the 3-cone, which he didn’t perform. I doubt that’s a coincidence. 

Like Machinator said, Ossai had good stats from that game, but Jenkins own a lot of the reps 

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Interesting if true.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/49ers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@49ers</a> have offered the <a href="https://twitter.com/packers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Packers</a> the 3rd overall pick in this year&#39;s draft, plus other picks and a number of players from their current roster including Garoppolo<br>for Aaron Rodgers.<br>The Packers turned them down.<br>First reported by <a href="https://twitter.com/PAOnTheMic?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PAOnTheMic</a> and confirmed by others.</p>&mdash; Bill Michaels (@Bill_Michaels) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bill_Michaels/status/1387781771551465475?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Generally I agree, no RB in the first round, it's a waste, but it's the 30th pick and he would be everything Buffalo wants and needs 

Eh. He’s good but not that special and the last ten years shows taking a RB in the first round is almost always a bad idea. They could get 80-90% of what Etienne offers later in the draft. 

It’s just too easy to replace RB production to take him that high. 

If you want better RB production, take OL earlier in the draft. The Bills need that more than a RB on offense imo.

Also, there's no way that the 49ers would trade 3 for Rodgers. He's on a one year deal and, prior to last season, was slowing down a little bit. If it was for 12, that would make sense, but you don't essentially trade 3 first rounders for a 37 year old QB.

18 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sounds like you're a Tommy Tremble fan. He is so fucking underrated in this draft.

14 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If you want better RB production, take OL earlier in the draft. The Bills need that more than a RB on offense imo.

Also, there's no way that the 49ers would trade 3 for Rodgers. He's on a one year deal and, prior to last season, was slowing down a little bit. If it was for 12, that would make sense, but you don't essentially trade 3 first rounders for a 37 year old QB.

lol wut.  Rodgers is not on a one year deal. He has 3 years left.

Just about every team in the league would give up #3 for Rodgers in a heartbeat. Especially the Niners who have a roster ready to win now. People overrate the value of draft picks too much. I’ve half the first round QBs taken are busts and a lot of the guys who aren’t busts still aren’t elite. If your choice is that or one of the bets QBs ever who just won legate MVP, you take the sure fire elite guy every time. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Rodgers is not on a one year deal. He has 3 years left. Just about every team in the league would give up #3 for Rodgers in a heartbeat. 

It's not just giving up #3, it's giving up three years of first round picks. Rodgers was amazing last year, but he has shown signs of regression the previous years. Not everyone is Brady - there's numerous examples of QBs losing their zip on the ball relatively suddenly (Brees, Manning are just the most recent ones), so you are risking 2 and 3 years down the road cratering with your draft pick being high.

And for the contract, it's 1 year left of guaranteed money, but there's been a lot of rumblings about restructuring the contract. I'm sure that Rodgers would want to change it up if he goes to a new place.

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

It's not just giving up #3, it's giving up three years of first round picks. Rodgers was amazing last year, but he has shown signs of regression the previous years. Not everyone is Brady - there's numerous examples of QBs losing their zip on the ball relatively suddenly (Brees, Manning are just the most recent ones), so you are risking 2 and 3 years down the road cratering with your draft pick being high.

And for the contract, it's 1 year left of guaranteed money, but there's been a lot of rumblings about restructuring the contract. I'm sure that Rodgers would want to change it up if he goes to a new place.

This is also dead wrong. Rodgers has guaranteed money for the next three years and his dead cap hit in 2022 is still 17 million. The restructuring is more about the Packers cap situation than Rodgers want to redo the deal that just started last year. 

The Niners already gave up 3 years of first round picks, so it is now only about #3, and they are way more likely to win with Rodgers than select a guy who will be Pro Bowl level at #3. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is also dead wrong. Rodgers has guaranteed money for the next three years and his dead cap hit in 2022 is still 17 million. The restructuring is more about the Packers cap situation than Rodgers want to redo the deal that just started last year. 

The Niners already gave up 3 years of first round picks, so it is now only about #3, and they are way more likely to win with Rodgers than select a guy who will be Pro Bowl level at #3. 

And this doesn't matter as the original report is from a Vikings guy.