Paris in August?

Armybrat

How hot in the middle of August?

Considering a nice flat for 6 nights - 6th floor with an elevator, but no A/C.

Fans will be provided if we ask.  Nice view of the Eiffel Tower, about 2 blocks from the River in the 8th Arrondismentwhatever. Rue Passy area.

What say you folks?

June would be very different than August

good new - less french people there in August (just kidding, love me some frenchies)

bad news - even if its in the 80s during day - which is very possible in August - that flat may be sticky

of course don't be in the flat and do other stuff cuz Paris

of course historical averages are available to consult

Edited by staboner

On 4/26/2018 at 2:24 PM, Armybrat said:

Fans will be provided if we ask.  Nice view of the Eiffel Tower, about 2 blocks from the River in the 8th Arrondismentwhatever. Rue Passy area.

What say you folks?

First time I went to Paris, it was in the middle of August and I was there for about 8 or 9 days.

I stayed in hostels, but it wasn't too bad. (First two or three nights were in La Defense in some corporate apartment tower.) It was warm, but not Texas warm. I don't remember having any issues with the heat at night.

...but then again, that was 26 years ago.

Hot you say, sweaty weather hot ?? Take some of that shit the medical examiners spread under their noses to kill the staunch of death smell from bloated corpses....  Some of those frenchman don't bathe like us 'mericans.

Hit or miss, could really suck if there's a heat wave. Just plan ahead.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:12 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Isn't August when Froggie goes on vacation? Never been there in August. Heard it's interesting.

also from mid July on.  its not as big of an issue in big cities.  but elsewhere, many shops and restaurants will be closed, so that can be a minor annoyance.

on the plus side, parking is easy!

On 4/26/2018 at 3:24 PM, Armybrat said:

no A/C.

Fans will be provided if we ask. 

What say you folks?

Don't do it!!!!! Arrived in Paris late July once. Went up to room, HOLY SHIT there's no AC. Wife didn't check when she booked the hotel, you just kinda assume it these days.

It was so fucking hot until about midnight. This was about 4th floor, windows open. We had to put the weird fan the hotel had for us on a chair and tie it just right to angle down towards us. There's noise all night, those classic French police siren sounds, trash guys, street sweepers, drunks yelling etc. One of us would usually get up about 4am and close the windows since the room was cool by then and we didnt want all the morning noise.

You might get lucky and it be nice and cool, but if not, it's going to suck, and suck worse if it rains and then heats back up and its humid as balls.

Going to be in Le Mans May 27 - May 30 and then 31 - 3 in Paris.

Booked my ticket for the Pavillons der Bercy / Musee des Arts Forains to go with some friends on June 2 (thanks to the earlier rec, 52-80).

Any one else have off-the-beaten-path suggestions? 

5 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Going to be in Le Mans May 27 - May 30 and then 31 - 3 in Paris.

Booked my ticket for the Pavillons der Bercy / Musee des Arts Forains to go with some friends on June 2 (thanks to the earlier rec, 52-80).

Any one else have off-the-beaten-path suggestions? 

do the catacombs.

If you have a whole day you want to kill. I'd take a morning train to Mont St. Michel on the western coast and the evening train back in time to party the evening away .  Google it and you'll see why...  It's just behind d the Eiffel Tower as the nations top tourist / heritage site.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, Armybrat said:

What say you folks?

So.... Paris when it sizzles ?

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

do the catacombs.

If you have a whole day you want to kill. I'd take a morning train to Mont St. Michel on the western coast and the evening train back in time to party the evening away .  Google it and you'll see why...  It's just behind d the Eiffel Tower as the nations top tourist / heritage site.

MSM is a bucket list place for me.  I don't want to short-change it and do one day.  My trip next year to Paris I plan on doing 2 nights there.

Picture for those wondering what it looks like,

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

5 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

MSM is a bucket list place for me.  I don't want to short-change it and do one day.  My trip next year to Paris I plan on doing 2 nights there.

Picture for those wondering what it looks like,

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

Oh yeah gonna go back and stay at least one night there. The day trip is totally worth it.  A highlight of our trip last year Paris, Normandy and Nice.

• 3 weeks later...

A little airport help for those of you very familiar with CDG airport. 

I am heading up a rather large group of people meeting from all over on Sunday. Different arrivals and times, but we plan to leave the airport together around noon.

What/where would a good meeting place be after baggage claim but still at the airport.  We have a charter bus picking the group up as well. 

Is there somewhere in terminal 2 that is outside of security like a cluster of restaurants and shops where the group could easily find me and gather their bearings?  

Blind leading the blind, lol.

32 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

A little airport help for those of you very familiar with CDG airport. 

I am heading up a rather large group of people meeting from all over on Sunday. Different arrivals and times, but we plan to leave the airport together around noon.

What/where would a good meeting place be after baggage claim but still at the airport.  We have a charter bus picking the group up as well. 

Is there somewhere in terminal 2 that is outside of security like a cluster of restaurants and shops where the group could easily find me and gather their bearings?  

Blind leading the blind, lol.

The problem is that "Terminal 2" is really six different terminals, and it's a pain in the ass to transit between them.  And the signage inside the terminals is absolutely terrible.  For that reason, the best place to meet up may be in the lobby at the Sheraton.  It'll necessitate a train/bus ride for everybody, but it's something that everyone will be able to locate.

As to Paris in August--there's no way I would do that again.  It's legitimately hot, but more importantly, the entire city is on vacation.  So the people who are working are the ones who are left behind.  And they're understandably surly because of it.  The worst service I've ever had at restaurants was Paris in August (at places I've been other times of the year, and the service was fine).  Just don't do it.

33 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Thanks, GoLL. You think that lobby is big enough for 30 people or there's a place our bus could park and then people could wait on the bus?

It's been years since I was there, but I recall the lobby being pretty good sized.  What I don't know about is the bus--perhaps you should call your bus company and see what they say?

August is hot, not Texas hot but for a city with minimal air conditioning, it's hot.

Main concern wouldn't be the temp but the lack of Parisians, as GoLL said. The assholes who haven't left the city will undoubtedly be on strike. Some service part of Paris will be "closed" due to some assholes being on strike. Better hope it's not anything to do with air or rail travel.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's been years since I was there, but I recall the lobby being pretty good sized.  What I don't know about is the bus--perhaps you should call your bus company and see what they say?

Yeah, have a call with them tomorrow morning. 

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I’m in Nice right now. Sleeping with the windows open, cool breeze, and a light drizzle. If you can adjust your travel dates to now, that would solve your August problem

Nice in May, what a glorious time to be there.  Not quite high season, and not as many people...  Chateau D'Eze for dinner if you can get a reservation......

I know it isn't off the beaten path, but the Louvre doing the first Delacroix retrospective since the 60s is sort of a big deal.  That, and your Louvre ticket gets you into the Delacroix museum which IS off the beaten path.  Free tour at 3 every day.

I am actually sitting here trying to finish out my couple of museum visits.  They have apparently opened an Yves Saint Laurent Museum in Paris (just opened late last year).  I knew they had opened one in Morocco, but missed that one opened in Paris.  Trying to see if I can fit it in with all the shopping, drinking, and people watching I have planned.

Good catch on the Delacroix Museum.  And that brings up a few things in that neighborhood around the Sorbonne.

Right around the corner is the Church of St. Germain des Pres, which was originally built in the 6th Century and was rebuilt in the 11th Century after the Vikings burned the original.  The tomb of Rene Descartes is in a side chapel.

Then, if you take the Boulevard St. Germain about a half-mile east, you get to the Musee de Cluny, which is the national museum of the middle ages.  The museum itself is housed in the medieval Hotel Cluny, which with its gardens is worth a visit.  Inside are a bunch of originals taken from places like Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle, as well as the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Good catch on the Delacroix Museum.  And that brings up a few things in that neighborhood around the Sorbonne.

Right around the corner is the Church of St. Germain des Pres, which was originally built in the 6th Century and was rebuilt in the 11th Century after the Vikings burned the original.  The tomb of Rene Descartes is in a side chapel.

Then, if you take the Boulevard St. Germain about a half-mile east, you get to the Musee de Cluny, which is the national museum of the middle ages.  The museum itself is housed in the medieval Hotel Cluny, which with its gardens is worth a visit.  Inside are a bunch of originals taken from places like Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle, as well as the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries.

As a heads up, the Musee de Cluny is closed until sometime in July.  They are doing restoration work.  This is one of the few remaining Paris museums that I absolutely want to visit specifically to see the Lady and the Unicorn tapestries, and see the Roman Baths.  

Henry James, on that other site, mentioned where General Lafayette is buried.  That is in Picpus Cemetary in the 12th.

Which one of you assholes is at the CDG airport right now with a longhorn polo on?

A few other select shots.

Oh... Indiana? Pretty sure they meant Indian as in Indian motorcycles. There were a dozen motorcycles parked out front including an Indian.

eb3e3d290e929273cafb606b8c30faec.jpg

Bernini altar at Chartres cathedral

59a9f091f54ca2bb607ea146e8f0a676.jpg

Riding the bicycle merry-go-round at the Musee des arts forains. Powered by 20 people pedaling. We got it going over 30mph approximately.

df07c6bdffb79b1a8c1d6f884e6b2af2.jpg

Sainte Chapelle. Worth the price of admission. Showed up and the line was 2 hours long. Skipped that simply by purchasing my ticket on my phone right there. Went to head of the security line then once inside the complex bypassed the ticket line and went straight to get my ticket scanned.

e02bb1402cebdb5d97949e81fda8013f.jpg

Climbed to the top of Sacred Heart. Exhausting 300 stair climb in a narrow spiral staircase.

1286769a1e4e10d8db62889a0747e5c2.jpg

Did plenty of other things. Most of them pretty standard.