Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

The Republicans don't want to repeal anything. They only want to campaign on repealing shit.  They don't actually want their voters to be pissed off for losing health insurance, etc.   They just want to gin up grievances against Obamacare and black people.  The Republicans are fine with the filibuster even when they control the Senate-judges and tax cuts only need 50 votes.  There's no actual legislation they want to pass.

The “republicans” have had only one goal and it’s been the same goal for going on 60 years now. Weaken the state as much as possible except to loot it whenever they can, which is often, so they can make as much money as possible. It’s basically a 60 year project they have not yet accomplished that the “republicans” in the former Soviet Union accomplished in less than 25 years, due to much weaker institutions and judiciary.

It’s important to understand who the “republicans” are. 

• Rage+1 2

23 minutes ago, Satchel said:

So, now it’s on like neck bones. Schumer just needs to keep calling for votes and getting Russicans on the record.

Fuck that. Republicans don't seem afraid of obstructing.

We need to find a way to make Democrats afraid of letting them.

10 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Good. I thought you were happy just watch Schumer call for useless votes.

Those votes won’t be useless, chiefly because they undercut Manchin’s and Sinema’s rationale for torpedoing Biden’s agenda.

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Those votes won’t be useless, chiefly because they undercut Manchin’s and Sinema’s rationale for torpedoing Biden’s agenda.

Come on. First it was the 1/06 commission, then it was S1. What other bills that need 60 votes do the Republicans need to block in order for these two finally come around? What is left?

It's cute that you still think their plea for bipartisanship isn't anything other than straight up corruption. They are against filibuster reform because their donors are against it. This is all about money. This isn't theater, as the climax has already passed.

They need to be made to realize that their donors are not enough to get them re-elected. The people need to make that case. 

2 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Come on. First it was the 1/06 commission, then it was S1. What other bills that need 60 votes do the Republicans need to block in order for these two finally come around? What is left?

It's cute that you still think their plea for bipartisanship isn't anything other than straight up corruption. They are against filibuster reform because their donors are against it. This is all about money. This isn't theater, as the climax has already passed.

They need to be made to realize that their donors are not enough to get them re-elected. The people need to make that case. 

Relax. I agree with you. I’m just not as pessimistic about the Dems fortunes as you are.

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Relax. I agree with you. I’m just not as pessimistic about the Dems fortunes as you are.

I hope you're right. Fact is that the most politically sensible time to push for reform was today and both Sinema and Manchin have let the moment pass them by. That's a bad sign.

I took issue with the fact that you seemed to think this will resolve itself somehow in the backrooms or on the floor of the Senate. I feel that is now a lost cause. I still hold out some hope for Biden intervening, but I think it's now up to people like us to deal with this, somehow...

Biden worships the decorum and tradition of our white supremacist Senate, there is no chance he intervenes in any meaningful way. Harris gave a speech in WV and Manchin slapped them down and they'll cower like the dogs they are.

The Democratic Party is a party of white supremacy.

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:
5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That happens to have the most diversity.  And that diversity is growing.

“Diversity” is not defined merely by skin color, sexual preference, or other superficial identities.  Point being, black people can uphold white supremacy, gay people can suppress LGBT rights, and women can further advance the patriarchy. History is littered with examples. 

New faces in high places may make a society feel better about itself but it is among the smallest steps to solving the structural problems of the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

That happens to have the most diversity.  And that diversity is growing.

Cool so maybe one day it will stop being a party of white supremacy. Also, how does the Democratic Party power establishment feel about those young, up-and-coming minorities?

They do nothing to curb the economic impoverishment of black people. They do nothing to stop the disenfranchisement of black people. They do nothing to stop the terrible abuse of black people at the hands of the nation's legal system and law enforcement (the biggest win here was a Trump initiative).

I'd prefer to increase that diversity through popular elections. 

As opposed to what? What the hell are you even saying?

Can't wait for more lectures from Smart, Reasonable Liberals and Centrists about how all we need to do is keep voting for Democrats and be nice and never protest or demonstrate or strike or complain.

Always remember guys, no matter what Democrats do, REPUBLICANS ARE WORSE and that's all that really matters.

As long as I can feel smugly superior to my dumb uncle on Facebook, who gives a shit whether or not black people can vote?

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Biden worships the decorum and tradition of our white supremacist Senate, there is no chance he intervenes in any meaningful way. Harris gave a speech in WV and Manchin slapped them down and they'll cower like the dogs they are.

No one takes you seriously if everything you don’t agree with is automatically white supremacy.  Your Anastasis act of equating the actual white supremacist party and the Dem party for not blowing up the filibuster yet is about as fresh as Hugo’s 14 year old girl freak outs about politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

No one takes you seriously if everything you don’t agree with is automatically white supremacy. 

Literal right-wing talking point. As in, straight out of the mouth of a right-winger.

Can you actually tell me why it is incorrect for me to say that?

No one takes you seriously if everything you don’t agree with is automatically white supremacy.  Your Anastasis act of equating the actual white supremacist party and the Dem party for not blowing up the filibuster yet is about as fresh as Hugo’s 14 year old girl freak outs about politics. 

At the end of the day, if Democrats don’t use hard earned control of the federal government to reverse the suppression and subversion laws passed by the GOP at the state level, they’re complicit. They’re accomplices to the GOP agenda, which is very much intertwined with white supremacy. Everything else is fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 4

The anti-Federalists opposed the 2-reps/state composition of the Senate as an enforcement of aristocracy (in America, a highly racialized thing)

Arthur Lee (Cincinnatus IV) in regard to the aristocratic nature of the Senate:

Is a body so vested with means to soften & seduce—so armed with power to screen or to condemn—so fortified against suspicion and enquiry—so largely trusted with legislative powers—so independent of and removed from the people—so tempted to abuse and extend these powers—is this a body which freemen ought ever to create, or which freemen can ever endure? Or is it not a monster in the political creation, which we ought to regard with horror? Shall we thus forge our own fetters? Shall we set up the idol, before which we shall soon be obliged, however, reluctantly to bow? Shall we consent to see a proud aristocracy erect his domineering crest in triumph over our prostrate liberties?

But please, Js1, keep parroting Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder. You add so much to these discussions as always.

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Manchin

Sinema

Feinstein

Those are the ones we know about. Filibuster reform isn't happening. Democrats need to come up with another solution.

Shaheen as well in the "no abolishment" camp.

Also Kelly and Bennett (and Angus King) are for reform, not abolishment.  You need to play ball with getting Manchin and Sinema on board with any kind of reform, and only reform, because screaming at them ABOLISH THE FILIBUSTER YOU FUCKING WHITE SUPREMACIST NAZI isn't going to do anything.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2021 at 7:53 AM, bad_teammate said:

Can't wait for more lectures from Smart, Reasonable Liberals and Centrists about how all we need to do is keep voting for Democrats and be nice and never protest or demonstrate or strike or complain.

Always remember guys, no matter what Democrats do, REPUBLICANS ARE WORSE and that's all that really matters.

As long as I can feel smugly superior to my dumb uncle on Facebook, who gives a shit whether or not black people can vote?

Sounds like we need a leftist dictator to make everything ok

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t believe that shit one bit. Sinema is either bought or mentally incompetent. She ain’t switching 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  I think Manchin is stubborn, but sincere.  She's full of every kind of shit.

She is the Senate version of Fitlump.  She's lucked her way into a job and she wants to ride that gravy train for as long as possible.

She will say or do anything, cozy up to anybody, in order to keep her office. Arizona is in flux, so she's playing both sides.

• 2 months later...

Why should Democrats be leery of nuking the filibuster when it’s clear they would not fare worse as a minority without the filibuster than they currently do as the majority with it? Blow that damn thing up! Yesterday!

Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why should Democrats be leery of nuking the filibuster when it’s clear they would not fare worse as a minority without the filibuster than they currently do as the majority with it? Blow that damn thing up! Yesterday!

I mean they can’t even get 50 votes in the senate, so not sure it even matters at this point. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean they can’t even get 50 votes in the senate, so not sure it even matters at this point. 

Both infrastructure bills will pass in modified forms and will be the largest expenditures earmarked for little people since the Great Society programs of the 1960s. Passing a voting rights bill will require a change to the filibuster. It must be done.