Bourbon

Jimbaround

Bottle King off of eastchase in east Fort Worth had bottles of Weller 12, Weller antique, Blantons, staff jr., Elijah Craig 12 year and some ER on the shelf. I just asked away with a 12 and antique but he marks them up($70 12 and $50 for antique)

I went ahead and picked up the rhetoric 23.
Haven’t decided if I’m gonna drink it or do a trade for a couple of other bottles down the road.
Doing everything I can to keep me first and foremost in the mind of the manager at Goody Goody. Got a birthday bourbon from him last year and tonight he told me I’d be pretty much guaranteed one this year and something from this years BTAC collection.
It’s all about building a relationship with someone. Can’t ever stress that enough.

27 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Haven’t decided if I’m gonna drink it or do a trade for a couple of other bottles down the road.
Doing everything I can to keep me first and foremost in the mind of the manager at Goody Goody. Got a birthday bourbon from him last year and tonight he told me I’d be pretty much guaranteed one this year and something from this years BTAC collection.
It’s all about building a relationship with someone. Can’t ever stress that enough.

Never considered any diageo orphan bottles as trade bait.  Good luck on that one and props to you if you are able to trade it. 

52 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Shit. I probably need to start talking to my big store guy. I’ve been talking up the smaller store guy but I don’t think he’s gonna get in on some of the better allocations. 

1 hour ago, cknight said:

Bottle King off of eastchase in east Fort Worth had bottles of Weller 12, Weller antique, Blantons, staff jr., Elijah Craig 12 year and some ER on the shelf. I just asked away with a 12 and antique but he marks them up($70 12 and $50 for antique)

I'd pay $50 for a bottle of Antique without batting an eye. 

I picked up a bottle of Big Level this evening. I'll open it up tomorrow, and let y'all know what I think. 

The commoners' reviews have been mixed. Good wheater with a lot of potential with further aging seems to be the consensus. Hopefully, Smooth Ambler will sit on the next release for another 3-4 years. But I assume they'll release a batch every year. 

I suspect the critics received some bottles from the choice barrels. They all seem to love it. 

49 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

Never considered any diageo orphan bottles as trade bait.  Good luck on that one and props to you if you are able to trade it. 

Lost Prophet and Old Blowhard bottles get a big premium and are in high demand. Barterhouse is a great bottle at a more reasonable price. Rhetorics usually struggle to sell higher than the already high retail price. 

8 minutes ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Lost Prophet and Old Blowhard bottles get a big premium and are in high demand. Barterhouse is a great bottle at a more reasonable price. Rhetorics usually struggle to sell higher than the already high retail price. 

I assume Diageo is sourcing the Orphan Barrels from shuttered bourbon distilleries that went under in the 90's?

I'd pay $50 for a bottle of Antique without batting an eye. 

I passed on one yesterday for $40. I’m still kinda kicking myself, but I think I can get it for $30 and I had already dropped more than I intended on yesterday’s run.

5 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

I passed on one yesterday for $40. I’m still kinda kicking myself, but I think I can get it for $30 and I had already dropped more than I intended on yesterday’s run.

I assume Blackwell's will offer Antique for $50+ for Father's Day. I'll probably go for it. I haven't seen it on the shelf in roughly a year.  

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume Diageo is sourcing the Orphan Barrels from shuttered bourbon distilleries that went under in the 90's?

I believe it is mostly from the Bernheim Distillery barreled in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It is a marketing gimmick, and I wouldn't collect them or anything. I certainly wouldn't pay crazy prices like +$500 for Old Blowhard.

I would like a bottle of the Widwinter's Night Dram shown above.  really liked it the couple of times i've tasted.

I've decided, in general, I don't love bourbon enough to spend the $$ and the time to get all the unicorns.  I have a distant cousin who has made a fortune in west texas oil fields and he recently bought up in New York 5 bottles of the Taylor 4 Grain bourbon.  He had them delivered to my sister's office since they wouldn't ship to Texas and he's going to pick them up himself in the next couple of weeks.  My sister saw the invoice and he paid $375/bottle.   F that noise.  

Sadly, I'm surprised they weren't asking for more on the Four Grain.  I have found a shop or two up there that always seem to have Pappy or other highly sought after bottles and it's because they are absurdly priced.  Weller 12 was $200+ three years ago.  Pappy 15 was around $2k.  

375 for 4G? i’d give it strong consideration. i can stomach the idea of paying 2ndary for OFBB and EHT4G and M10. not much else though

in fact if i make the promotion i’m being vetted for this year, i may splurge and get all 3 as a personal reward. yeah i know... csb

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I refuse to buy in the secondary market. It’s the downfall of society.

This.  It's just not worth it to me to overpay for bottles like Pappy or other unicorns when there is such a large variety out there that tastes great and can be bought for a fraction of what is asked on the secondary market.  I personally haven't tasted any of the Pappy's, but love the shit out of Poor Man's Pappy and just plain W12 by itself.

Question for the ones that have had Pappy, is it that much better?

• Like 1

I refuse to buy in the secondary market. It’s the downfall of society.
Good luck on the promotion, though.

i respect that opinion... but knowing i just don’t have the juice with anyone to ever get my hands on unicorns, i can live with myself to be part of the problem i guess

40 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

i respect that opinion... but knowing i just don’t have the juice with anyone to ever get my hands on unicorns, i can live with myself to be part of the problem i guess

You might be surprised.  There are store managers out there who don't subscribe to the philosophy of holding on to their allocated bottles for only the biggest of spenders in their store.

I've landed WLW & Handy in addition to ETL at my local shop with good timing.  And I know @Bozo_Casanova has gotten his hands on incredible bottles by forming a friendly relationship, not by out-spending other customers.  Although he might be outspending other customers, I'm not sure. :)

Edited by Horn21

4 hours ago, mbpcb said:

375 for 4G? i’d give it strong consideration. i can stomach the idea of paying 2ndary for OFBB and EHT4G and M10. not much else though

in fact if i make the promotion i’m being vetted for this year, i may splurge and get all 3 as a personal reward. yeah i know... csb

Well there’s always Early Times...

Edited by brown water

How would y'all compare Sazerac Rye 6 year to Handy?  Obviously Handy is better, but how much better? 

Actually I’m not at all sure it is better. It’s certainly more expensive, but its appeal is limited.

Sazerac Rye 6 is a smart natural beauty you marry and stay in love with. Handy is a high-strung 10 that you once spent an expensive weekend with that you remember fondly, but it was enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Actually I’m not at all sure it is better. It’s certainly more expensive, but its appeal is limited.

Sazerac Rye 6 is a smart natural beauty you marry and stay in love with. Handy is a high-strung 10 that you once spent an expensive, weekend with that you remember fondly, but it was enough.

Interesting. They do share the same mash bill, so I assume given the high proof that Handy isn't diluted, and Sazerac is diluted. They're both the same age. 

3 hours ago, huge said:

See, I have no problem putting ice in bourbon.  Especially high octane stuff.  

I have a throat condition and I enjoy it more cold (insert whatever joke you want here).

I also prefer it a little cold. It’s too fucking hot in Texas. I put it in the freezer for 5 minutes before drinking neat 

Sometimes will add ice, but would rather just have it cold. 

I'm not impressed with 1792 Full Proof. It's too sweet in opinion. It's not bad, but not good. 

I'll add the 1792 Full Proof, Big Level, and Yamazaki  12 to my Island of Misfit Toyfit Toys. Fully fluffer. 

Two things need to happen: 

Buffalo Trace needs be making s*** tons of Eagle Rare 10. 

The bourbon-hipster-cocktail-trend needs to die. Grow some hair on your balls and drink it neat. 

13 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I believe it is mostly from the Bernheim Distillery barreled in the late 1980s and early 1990s. It is a marketing gimmick, and I wouldn't collect them or anything. I certainly wouldn't pay crazy prices like +$500 for Old Blowhard.

Orphan Barrel advertises themselves as swiping Stitzel-Weller barrels. 

Please pardon my ignorance if Stitzel-Weller and Bernhiem are under the same umbrella. 

In a related note, can anybody name the bourbon Anthony Bourdain was drinking in Parts Unknown - Charleston? He repeatedly referred to it was Stitzel-Weller bourbon. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How would y'all compare Sazerac Rye 6 year to Handy? 

Obviously Handy is better, but how much better? 

Absurdly better. Not even the same ballpark. A better comparison is to the Saz 18, not the Handy. I much prefer the Handy to the Saz 18. Baby Saz is a very poor man’s version of the Saz 18.

Anyone have an opinion on Willett pot still reserve? Saw a couple 1.5 bottles on the counter and grabbed one, but as I was walking to checkout saw an ECBP sitting on the allocation counter but kept walking since my 4 yo was not having anymore of looking at bourbon and beer. Did I make a horrible mistake? 

Anyone have an opinion on Willett pot still reserve? Saw a couple 1.5 bottles on the counter and grabbed one, but as I was walking to checkout saw an ECBP sitting on the allocation counter but kept walking since my 4 yo was not having anymore of looking at bourbon and beer. Did I make a horrible mistake? 

Yes. Unfortunately you did. Pot still is very disappointing and the ECBP is outstanding.
  • Like 1

It’s a pretty bottle and makes a good gift.

5 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Pretty good, but kind of sweet. Terrible, gawd awful hangover fuel.