13 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

1) Tornado

2) Seasoned Wood

3) Four Grain

4) Rye

5) Single Barrel

6) Barrel Proof

7) Small Batch

I haven’t tried the Cured Oak or Sour Mash yet. While I love high proofed bottles, for whatever reason I’m not huge on the EHT Barrel Proof. 

This is very helpful, thanks Pappy and BigDHorn. Will be on the lookout for your recommendations.

I picked up a RY10 a few weeks ago. Liked it so much. Picked up two more today, plus a EHTSB. Pretty sure it was still aging while it was sitting in my cabinet. It kept getting better and better and better. The EH TAYLOR that is.

Edited by ckhorn

I had the EHT Four Grain at Poison Girl last night.

I don’t remember Tornado being that good, and I love the Tornado.

Four Grain is highest quality hooch. Wish I could find a bottle.

Need to try Seasoned Wood and Cured Oak so I can at least taste them all.

I missed out on the Gold and SFTB that someone was offering up on Bourbon Secondary Market, but will keep looking.

Jayson sells about once a month. but you gotta get in fast bc he accepts more orders than he can supply. i’ve been screwed by him a few times.

Do people really see these "National ____ Day" and think to themselves, gee willikers, I better go out and buy me some of that to celebrate the national holiday!

I guess they do, since there's a manufactured national day for every fucking thing now.

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Do people really see these "National ____ Day" and think to themselves, gee willikers, I better go out and buy me some of that to celebrate the national holiday!

I guess they do, since there's a manufactured national day for every fucking thing now.

I'm celebrating National Bourbon Day today.  I also celebrated National Bourbon Day Eve.

• Like 2

My guy sold me his last bottle of Weller Antique today. I incrementally bought ever bottle he received. If people on that side of town don't like drinking Antique, well I got nothing to say to them but thanks. 

Spec's is proudly bragging they received a big shipment of Smooth Ambler Big Level. Uh...Total Wine had it about a month ago. 

I'm mulling a trip up to College Station to get my hands on Rebel Yell. I could disguise it as a Messina Hof run to fool the wife, but she'd drop at least $300 on wine. 

Interesting tidbit, Total Wines in Houston rarely have any name brand Buffalo Trace products. They sell 1792 and Bowman, but they never have Buffalo Trace or regular Weller. Am I crazy here for thinking the liquor distributors in Houston are shutting out Total Wine as a favor for Spec's? The Total Wine guy said they receive a "normal amount", but it sells so quickly they can't keep it on the shelf. Pretty fishy answer. I don't see Buffalo Trace flying off the shelf at Spec's or Goody Goody. 

I'll probably drink my bottle of Blood Oath Pact 4 this weekend to try and wash away the shame of buying it. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My guy sold me his last bottle of Weller Antique today. I incrementally bought ever bottle he received. If people on that side of town don't like drinking Antique, well I got nothing to say to them but thanks. 

Spec's is proudly bragging they received a big shipment of Smooth Ambler Big Level. Uh...Total Wine had it about a month ago. 

I'm mulling a trip up to College Station to get my hands on Rebel Yell. I could disguise it as a Messina Hof run to fool the wife, but she'd drop at least $300 on wine. 

Interesting tidbit, Total Wines in Houston rarely have any name brand Buffalo Trace products. They sell 1792 and Bowman, but they never have Buffalo Trace or regular Weller. Am I crazy here for thinking the liquor distributors in Houston are shutting out Total Wine as a favor for Spec's? The Total Wine guy said they receive a "normal amount", but it sells so quickly they can't keep it on the shelf. Pretty fishy answer. I don't see Buffalo Trace flying off the shelf at Spec's or Goody Goody. 

I'll probably drink my bottle of Blood Oath Pact 4 this weekend to try and wash away the shame of buying it. 

In Austin, TW offered Buffalo Trace as an allocated item along side of Blantons.  They now have it on the shelf.  My Specs has no BT on the shelf and says they're out.  I got a bottle a couple weeks ago from the back.  Give me a fucking break - Twin Liquors always has BT on the shelf.  I bought two bottles yesterday at 15% off - which is cheaper than Specs.  I am boycotting Specs this week since the whiskey guy is a prick. 

Twin is more expensive, but I like the smaller stores with a manager you can talk to.  On Saturday, I asked Erin at Twin if they had any Eagle Rare and they didn't.  Next think I know, Erin brings out a bottle of ER for me - the bottle she'd put aside for her.

Edited by Jerry Callo

13 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

In Austin, TW offered Buffalo Trace as an allocated item along side of Blantons.  They now have it on the shelf.  My Specs has no BT on the shelf and says they're out.  I got a bottle a couple weeks ago from the back.  Give me a fucking break - Twin Liquors always has BT on the shelf.  I bought two bottles yesterday at 15% off - which is cheaper than Specs.  I am boycotting Specs this week since the whiskey guy is a prick. 

Twin is more expensive, but I like the smaller stores with a manager you can talk to.  On Saturday, I asked Erin at Twin if they had any Eagle Rare and they didn't.  Next think I know, Erin brings out a bottle of ER for me - the bottle she'd put aside for her.

Every Twin Liquors I've been to in Greater Austin has had at least Eagle Rare. Quality store. 

Pretty happy with today’s haul. First time I’ve seen RY10 in the wild. They had quite a few. If it’s as good as y’all say I might buy another. Campfire sounds super interesting. A bit of a stretch at $80 but willing to try something different.

f37f48f0a13d0d9b10f35ad87de11fde.heic

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pretty happy with today’s haul. First time I’ve seen RY10 in the wild. They had quite a few. If it’s as good as y’all say I might buy another. Campfire sounds super interesting. A bit of a stretch at $80 but willing to try something different.

I'd go with two RY10 in which I did. There's a reason the campfires sit on shelves and RY don't.

Go buy another. Do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

This any good?

fbb86e7b346f452b2cbeb08d43d138fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can double back on this thread  several pages and get a lot of opinions (mostly negative) about this bottle. I passed on it myself. I did try the barter-house the other night. I am on search and drink mission.

4 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

I'd go with two RY10 in which I did. There's a reason the campfires sit on shelves and RY don't.

I think High West is overpriced. Campfire is $56.99. Bourye is $67.99. Yippee Ki-Yay is $79.99. 

Midwinter Nights Dram is competitively priced at $99.99. 

I don't know if they'll bring it back, but their best bargain was Son of Bourye at about $36. 

I like some of thd High West offerings. MWND is great. I’m a big fan of Rendezvous Rye. Double Ryd is solid. Bourye is solid. If you like peated scotches the Campfire is okay, but I wouldn’t buy it. Yippee ki yay is okay, bug I wouldn’t buy it.  36th vote is piss. Some of these are overpriced. The distillery is fun to go to. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Nothing wrong with giving something a shot. Campfire is not for your typical bourbon drinkers, but it’s okay. I like peated scotch whisky though. 

Nothing wrong with giving something a shot. Campfire is not for your typical bourbon drinkers, but it’s okay. I like peated scotch whisky though. 

I like peaty. The Campfire was tasty. Definitely peaty. I think I can taste the bourbon and rye in the background but honestly if I drank it blind I would probably not know it was blended in.

My RY10 has an astringent note in the nose and in the first few sips but got better as the ice cube melted in and mellowed it out. Is that normal or just my batch? I liked it but didn’t quite live up to the hype.

3 hours ago, brown water said:

Same on my RY10.  Hoping it evens out with some age in the open bottle.  Still good - but not living up to expectations.  

I think this Luxco RY10 bottling is a solid pour but to put it into perspective, it doesn’t measure up to the original bottlings from SW.  To the right of Luxco is a ‘90 bottling cut to 80pf. The good juice lies in the ‘69 decanter (now empty) and the ‘70 bottling on the right.  Old Stitzel juice is truly enjoyable stuff.akiu76.jpg

• Like 3

Boy did I dodge a bullet yesterday. Left these 2 bottles of RY10 in my truck from lunch until about 5 and I guess the heat caused the corks to pop. When I opened the boxes, the corks were just sitting on the top of bottles, the box lid kept them there.
And one completely separated. Luckily they didn’t tip over on my drive home. I would have cried.
376c80060a6dd500dd8b447ed282424f.jpgde94229727831ba31703c5e70599c25f.jpg

46 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I had a bottle of bourbon blow a cork and spill all over my Suburban once, you did indeed dodge a bullet.

Gotta keep a cooler in the car when bourbon hunting. I'm not saying you should chill it, just keep it at room temperature for a few hours. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis