Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Their latest Cowboy release was 7-8 years old. Their 2018 GB Reserve was 4. Dan Garrison has said on FB that all of their single barrels recently have been at least 5. 

I agree, they are getting there. In 5 years, its gonna be really exciting to see what theyre doing.

They arent cheap. Their original GB Reserve vintages were crap for years, imo. But i think a lotta that had to do with how young they were. Their prices have dropped about 20% on average for everything over the past 3-4 years, so thats good. 

I can totally understand not wanting to buy their product due to price though. Im just mad they turned a lotta people off for their first 4-5 years by offering a bad product at a super high price. Now, those people are hesitating to give them another try. Sucks for GB, but thats the game

Thanks for straightening me out on Cowboy. I'll give it a shot next time I see it. 

Garrison Brothers should call the Balcones marketing guys. They could teach them a lot about competitively pricing their product and getting the word out. 

Recently did a tour and tasting at Still Austin.  They just opened a few months ago, so no bourbon yet, but tasted their new make products.  Very interesting story from their construction (challenges they faced opening in Austin), to their sourcing concept (use local grains), to their process (mill grain on-site and begin cooking immediately after milling).  You can tell they've put a lot of research, thought, and hard work into all aspects of the business.

Looking forward to trying their bourbon after it finishes, hope it makes well.

https://tribeza.com/grains-of-truth/

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh, it’s a long game. Huge capital investment to get going and keep it going before the longer aged stuff is ready. They could of gone the vodka route for cash like many do, or the sourced route like Rebecca Creek or Smooth Ambler. They didn’t. They make their own, and age their own. That ain’t cheap. Priced to survive probably 

Don't see anything wrong with selling vodka to fund the business.  

17 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh, it’s a long game. Huge capital investment to get going and keep it going before the longer aged stuff is ready. They could of gone the vodka route for cash like many do, or the sourced route like Rebecca Creek or Smooth Ambler. They didn’t. They make their own, and age their own. That ain’t cheap. Priced to survive probably 

I think Garrison Brothers is trying to have their cake and eat it too. I won't buy a young whiskey or rye ever. Period. I laughed when my local store tried to sell me some Peerless Rye BS for $125. 

Best of luck to Garrison Brothers and I hope they make it to the 10-12 year mark. 

High West is starting to distill, store, and age their own stuff at their property outside of Park City. It will be interesting to see what a really mild climate and altitude will do to bourbon and ryes. They've released some white lightning crap, but I won't touch it. 

Smooth Ambler makes their own hooch now: https://smoothambler.com/our_spirits/big-level-bourbon/ 

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/smooth-ambler-big-level-wheated-bourbon-review/

I'll be on the look out for that one, it should be available in early June. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

In New Orleans this weekend and just picked up 4 bottles of Eagle Rare @ $30 a bottle at a Rouse’s (grocery store) near Bourbon St. Still have yet to see it in the wild in Austin area without getting on a waiting list. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Also tried the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at lunch at the Bourbon House. Smooth to quite smooth and damn tasty.

16 minutes ago, Bull Horn said:

In New Orleans this weekend and just picked up 4 bottles of Eagle Rare @ $30 a bottle at a Rouse’s (grocery store) near Bourbon St. Still have yet to see it in the wild in Austin area without getting on a waiting list. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Also tried the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked at lunch at the Bourbon House. Smooth to quite smooth and damn tasty.

Did Bourbon House have anything more exotic? 

You should be able to find the Double Oaked at most Total Wine locations in Austin. 

Did Bourbon House have anything more exotic? 
You should be able to find the Double Oaked at most Total Wine locations in Austin. 

They had over 200 bourbons on the menu, but surprisingly didn’t have as much as you’d expect in the way of rare or hard to find. I was disappointed in that regard - didn’t have Old Forrester Birthday, which I was hoping to try - but all was forgiven after tasting the bbq shrimp po-boy.

I’d seen the Double Oaked around town but wanted to try a pour before getting a bottle.

And I’d be remiss without mentioning the milk punch - made with Old Forrester, milk and vanilla ice cream. Yeah, I’m probably gonna need new pants.

2 minutes ago, Bull Horn said:

They had over 200 bourbons on the menu, but surprisingly didn’t have as much as you’d expect in the way of rare or hard to find. I was disappointed in that regard - didn’t have Old Forrester Birthday, which I was hoping to try - but all was forgiven after tasting the bbq shrimp po-boy.

I’d seen the Double Oaked around town but wanted to try a pour before getting a bottle.

And I’d be remiss without mentioning the milk punch - made with Old Forrester, milk and vanilla ice cream. Yeah, I’m probably gonna need new pants.

Thanks. 

It's probably already been posted, but here's the release dates for 2018: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/release-list.html

When does Stagg Jr usually get released? 

1 minute ago, thestud said:

I like Breaking Bourbon, but their release chart is all kinds of fucky. 

On the Stagg Jr., I've noticed it come available during football season the last two years for a very short time. Stopped in at my honey hole store Friday and he told me he'll have another Blanton's and a Stagg Jr. for me next Wednesday. So in summation, no fuckin idea.

Allegedly they release Jr two months in the spring and two months in the fall. I've only seen it during football season. 

7 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Didnt High West (along with like 100 other distilleries) source their distillate for years from a big metal shed in Indianapolis? 

According to Breaking Bourbon, High West is supposed to release a 5 year old malt whiskey and a rye this year. Based on their youth, I assume they distilled and aged it on site in Park City. I hope they're working on a more traditional bourbon. 

Son of Bourye appears to sold out for good. I hope they bring it back.

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The number is def. pretty impressive. However, those brands range from average to shitty, so im not too shocked

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/11/19/willett-distillerys-long-path-back-bourbon/

Willet doesn’t suck. They been sourcing for 30 years. They started distilling again in 2012. But still 

Michters has a similar story. They also do not suck

Edited by Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, thestud said:

Yeah it was in ample supply for a few weeks. So much so that around Thanksgiving I had to turn a guy down when he offered it to me as I already had 4. Now it's May and I'm down to 1.5 and I'm regretting that arrogance...

I bought one bottle last year. Didn't really like it initially. I even poured a couple for my friend to try and get rid of it. A few weeks later I gave it second shot and loved it. Sadly they're wasn't much left. I'll stock up this year. 

Buffalo Trace runs pretty hot and cold. I passed over so many bottles of EH Taylor Single Barrel in the fall, and now I can't find it anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/11/19/willett-distillerys-long-path-back-bourbon/

Willet doesn’t suck. They been sourcing for 30 years. They started distilling again in 2012. But still 

Michters has a similar story. They also do not suck

Was the the Willet 80th Birthday any good? I passed when it came out last year. 

Pot Still Reserve gives me awful hangovers. I probably won't buy it again. 

1 minute ago, thestud said:

Willett Rye was not ok, but I'm also not a huge Rye fan. Old Scout Smooth Ambler Single Barrel is tits, surprised to see it on the list.

Smooth Ambler was very transparent. That’s why they named it Old Scout, as in they scouted out a good bourbon scource. Anything labeled Old Scout was sourced. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Was the the Willet 80th Birthday any good? I passed when it came out last year. 

Pot Still Reserve gives me awful hangovers. I probably won't buy it again. 

I didn’t buy it either. It’s supposedly still very young 

Didnt High West (along with like 100 other distilleries) source their distillate for years from a big metal shed in Indianapolis? 

You seem to believe sourcing is inherently bad. That would be incorrect.

There is nothing wrong with sourcing barrels. If Garrison had followed that route while aging his own, and releasing tasty sources barrels in the meantime; then I’d have nothing against them. They’d be just like a whole bunch of others who have sourced at the start, recent examples being High West, Smooth Ambler and Whistlepig (not going to divert this into what Whistlepig is really sourcing).

Tasty bourbon is tasty bourbon. What I had from Garrison early on, like many many others, turned me off the brand.

And to bring this full circle, four years ago I attended a seminar at Tales regarding sourced bourbon and transparency in labeling. The Smooth Ambler distiller was on the panel. Dan Garrison was in the audience. I’ll never forget the awkward feeling in the conference room when during the Q&A Garrison stood up and offered to sell the Smooth Ambler guy as many barrels as he needed if MGP couldn’t cover his needs.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to a bourbon in the Texas heat. I don't think it's going to be good. Every distiller in Kentucky will tell you they need cold winters to for a good product. 

I don't always like Garrison Bros delivery, but their experiment is fascinating to watch.  

I dont necessarily view sourcing as bad, but i equate it along the same lines as wineries who buy their grapes from other parts of the country. Its not a big deal to a lotta people.

But I think its much more impressive and overall authentic for a bourbon distillery to distill, barrel, and bottle in house. In Texas, very few do. In other states, it seems like even less. I just think that if you are going to put your name on the bottle, you need to also put on there “distilled in indiana, bottled in Kentucky.” 

it just strikes me as a short cut and not a true taste of regional flavor. Also, it makes me think a lotta these places wanna trick the consumer, as these facts arent always printed on the bottle or website

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens to a bourbon in the Texas heat. I don't think it's going to be good. Every distiller in Kentucky will tell you they need cold winters to for a good product. 

I don't always like Garrison Bros delivery, but their experiment is fascinating to watch.  

Its too early to tell what the Texas heat really does to bourbon across a wide variety of state producers. The number of bourbons produced in texas just dont give us a big enough sample size yet

i also believe that kentucky distillers are doing everything they can to try and stop people from buying non kentucky bourbons. Like the myth (and im sure they didnt start it, but certainly dont mind it being told): bourbon has to be made in kentucky, many people have misconceptions about what bourbon really is or can be.

i think that within bourbon, you can get many different flavors and experiences that all depend on where the bourbon comes from and the process that was used to create it. Is kentucky bourbon gonna be different tasting than the rest of the countries bourbon? Probably. 

Climate, barrel size, mash bills, etc etc all factor in. But there are fantastic bourbons made in hot climates (ie Texas) that are better than many bourbons from kentucky. Hell, Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon won Best Bourbon in the World from Whiskey Bible with its 2013 release AND its 2015 release. Pretty impressive for a place in a hotass climate that had only been open for 3-4 years at the time. 

I really wish we could get a large ass blind tasting and see what happens

17 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont necessarily view sourcing as bad, but i equate it along the same lines as wineries who buy their grapes from other parts of the country. Its not a big deal to a lotta people.

But I think its much more impressive and overall authentic for a bourbon distillery to distill, barrel, and bottle in house. In Texas, very few do. In other states, it seems like even less. I just think that if you are going to put your name on the bottle, you need to also put on there “distilled in indiana, bottled in Kentucky.” 

it just strikes me as a short cut and not a true taste of regional flavor. Also, it makes me think a lotta these places wanna trick the consumer, as these facts arent always printed on the bottle or website

Fair enough. I think similar climates to Kentucky should produce good bourbons. I have really high hopes for Smooth Ambler's Big Level. I think Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, and Southern Illinois should be able to produce quality products. 

I could be completely wrong about Texas bourbons. What I don't like about some is that advertise their products as "maturing rapidly in the hot Texas summers". That's one of the dumbest marketing lines I've seen. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its too early to tell what the Texas heat really does to bourbon across a wide variety of state producers. The number of bourbons produced in texas just dont give us a big enough sample size yet

i also believe that kentucky distillers are doing everything they can to try and stop people from buying non kentucky bourbons. Like the myth (and im sure they didnt start it, but certainly dont mind it being told): bourbon has to be made in kentucky, many people have misconceptions about what bourbon really is or can be.

i think that within bourbon, you can get many different flavors and experiences that all depend on where the bourbon comes from and the process that was used to create it. Is kentucky bourbon gonna be different tasting than the rest of the countries bourbon? Probably. 

Climate, barrel size, mash bills, etc etc all factor in. But there are fantastic bourbons made in hot climates (ie Texas) that are better than many bourbons from kentucky. Hell, Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon won Best Bourbon in the World from Whiskey Bible with its 2013 release AND its 2015 release. Pretty impressive for a place in a hotass climate that had only been open for 3-4 years at the time. 

I really wish we could get a large ass blind tasting and see what happens

I think these two statements might be related a little. There's not enough a sample size of evidence, plus it's not like Kentucky winters are known for being brutal. They average a low of 20-25. 

Bourbon might age a bit faster in Texas because of the heat, but as for the contraction of the bourbon from the cold weather, since GB and Baclones have won some awards, it appears the 10 degree difference in climate is not that big of a deal. 

Also, lol at Garrison saying that shit to Smooth Ambler. The fact he had to say that shows how insecure he is and should be when he was selling garbage at $80 when his shit was too young. Maybe he should of sourced instead of shitting on his customer. 

As Greenspoint said, sourcing doesn't mean it's a bad bourbon. MGP, Heaven Hill, and whatever undisclosed distillery people use make good fucking bourbon. 

Also fuck the Kentucky bullshit mythology. There are great distillers in Kentucky, albeit mostly the Beam family (and no I don't just mean Jim Beam, then entire Beam family throughout history they have been master distillers at pretty much every single great distillery. Heaven Hill has never had a master distiller that wasn't a Beam. Four Roses, Makers' Mark, Early Times, have all had Beam distillers.)

But none of these great distillers own shit anymore. The Shapira Family owns Heaven Hill, they were originally Jewish Department Store Owners. Japenese Suntory owns Jim Beam. Diageo, aka Guiness Beer, makes Bulleit, Blade & Bow, but they've been sourcing until recently. Brown-Forman started out as bottlers. They never made shit. They were the first to guarantee by bottling sourced bourbon so you could be sure there wasn't poison in it. Luxco sources from Heaven Hill. Four Roses is owned by Kirin, the Japanese beer company. I could go on and on. 

• Like 3

Neonmoon pretty much hit on it, but ill add a tiny bit.

from what i understand, the intense texas summers allow for more penetration into the wood by the bourbon that maybe you dont get in cooler climates. So arguably (and im not sure if the science behind this is definitive enough), the liquid can get just as much, if not more flavor from the wood in a shorter time. Again, dunno how true this really is

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

from what i understand, the intense texas summers allow for more penetration into the wood by the bourbon that maybe you dont get in cooler climates. So arguably (and im not sure if the science behind this is definitive enough), the liquid can get just as much, if not more flavor from the wood in a shorter time. Again, dunno how true this really is

This is my understanding as well and yet, I've never had a young TX whiskey that I thought was worth the price. They do seem to have decent flavor, but the finish always seems to be poor.

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

That's true as far as it goes but doesn't mean all that much.

I could go on and on about this, but to be as concise as possible: the process of heating and cooling and the temperature range seasonally has a gigantic impact on the flavor and aroma profile of which of the 350 or so volatile aromatic compounds present in white oak are dominant in the finished liquid product.

There's definitely a sweet spot, it's broadly different for every mash bill and yeast combination, and narrowly different for every barrel. "More oak" isn't necessarily what you want, in the same way that older is not necessarily better than younger.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Also, lol at Garrison saying that shit to Smooth Ambler. The fact he had to say that shows how insecure he is and should be when he was selling garbage at $80 when his shit was too young. Maybe he should of sourced instead of shitting on his customer. 

As Greenspoint said, sourcing doesn't mean it's a bad bourbon. MGP, Heaven Hill, and whatever undisclosed distillery people use make good fucking bourbon. 

Also fuck the Kentucky bullshit mythology. There are great distillers in Kentucky, albeit mostly the Beam family (and no I don't just mean Jim Beam, then entire Beam family throughout history they have been master distillers at pretty much every single great distillery. Heaven Hill has never had a master distiller that wasn't a Beam. Four Roses, Makers' Mark, Early Times, have all had Beam distillers.)

But none of these great distillers own shit anymore. The Shapira Family owns Heaven Hill, they were originally Jewish Department Store Owners. Japenese Suntory owns Jim Beam. Diageo, aka Guiness Beer, makes Bulleit, Blade & Bow, but they've been sourcing until recently. Brown-Forman started out as bottlers. They never made shit. They were the first to guarantee by bottling sourced bourbon so you could be sure there wasn't poison in it. Luxco sources from Heaven Hill. Four Roses is owned by Kirin, the Japanese beer company. I could go on and on. 

Just wanted to quote this post for truth. And I'll add: there's no reason Texas can't produce a truly great bourbon*,  but as of this moment, we haven't. 

*I would argue we shouldn't bother trying, but that's a different topic. 

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Just wanted to quote this post for truth. And I'll add: there's no reason Texas can't produce a truly great bourbon*,  but as of this moment, we haven't. 

*I would argue we shouldn't bother trying, but that's a different topic. 

Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon easily fits that bill

True or not, it’s definitely a talking point during the Garrison tour. “Our 4/5 year is the same as someone else’s 8/10 year”

It’s definitely real. The heat makes the bourbon expand into the charred wood. The charred wood imparts the caramel and oak flavors into the bourbon. The cold weather contracts the same bourbon back into the middle of the barrel where it brings the flavor to the other bourbon. 

The hotter the weather, the more the bourbons goes into the charred oak. It should age faster. 

The Kentucky argument is the 10 to 15 degree colder winter where it freezes more often provides greater contraction of the bourbon and a more robust complex character. Is it true? Again, that’s up to the taster. 

Seeing Old Fitzgerald BIB being talked about on chat boards in the wild. And by the wild I mean select customers who probably got it in advance and not people like us 

13 hours ago, Horn21 said:

True or not, it’s definitely a talking point during the Garrison tour. “Our 4/5 year is the same as someone else’s 8/10 year”

I'm a bit skeptical of this argument.

A few years back on This American life they ran a piece about a frankfurter co. in some midwestern town USA.  They grew over the years and expanded into surrounding buildings eventually filling up a couple blocks.  Because of the hodge podge  way they expanded they didn't have an efficient process for moving frankfurters from oven to oven or to the packing rooms, and eventually shipping.

They had a guy, Fred, who would wheel the hot cooked frankfurters in large, covered rolling carts (meant to keep the dogs hot), to a packing room all the way at the end of the 2 blocks of buildings where they'd be packaged and shipped out.  People loved them, and they were a midwest favorite.

The company finally decided it was time to modernize, and create a better system of cooking, packing, and shipping.  So they redesigned the entire process, modernized equipment and got rid of Fred and his long trek around the 2 block factory..

The new product was cooked exactly the same way as the original product, cooking times, heat, ingredients, etc.   People weren't happy with the new Frankfurters, they didn't have the same great flavor as the original product.  They were baffled.  They went thru the process and made sure they were replicating the cooking process step by step.

Finally somebody stumbled onto Fred, and his long journey with the cooked frankfurters ready for packing.  That last step of Fred with large rolling carts filled with hot frankfurters trudging that Long 2 block trip to the packing room had been left out of the new efficient time Saving/ efficient process.  Something about the time it took tor the dogs to travel that distance imparted an additional flavor that just tasted better to folks.  An additional waiting period where the frankfurters sat in those hot rolling carts after cooking, and before packing was added back to the equation. The great flavor, that was the hallmark of he company returned.

So yeah time and process are both important and can't be rushed.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Definitely sounds like BS. I'll take literally any Buffalo Trace 8-10 year product over a Garrison Bros 4-5 year. 

Can you imagine how universally panned Messina Hof would be if they ran around telling people their products were better than French wines? 

I think Garrison Bros should play up the "Made in Texas" angle rather than trying to argue their product is better than Kentucky bourbons. It's an argument they can't possibly win. I don't care if Jim Murray gave them a medal. The guy also said Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye was the best whiskey in the world in 2015.