Bourbon

Jimbaround

13 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Just saw an email that a local store will have Four Roses Private Selection OBSQ available tomorrow for $70/bottle.

Has anyone tried it, or prior "Private Selection" releases, and is it worth trying to get a bottle or two?

If it's barrel proof, I would grab one.  I think "Private Selection" implies barrel proof, but not positive.  I think I've had OESF and OESQ before and both were great.  OBSV is the standard single barrel so if you like that, this will be a higher proof and the yeast is supposed to be more "floral".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

Anybody tried Walking Stick SB?  Tried new store and guy behind the counter was pushing.  Picked up a bookers 18-1;  haven't tried it yet though. 

Love the Walking Stick. Good drinking for the price. One of the only NDPs that I got conned into at some point and actually come back for more on occasion. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I was able to nab a bottle of Blood Oath Pact 4. It's not supposed to be as good as previous releases, but I might as well. Houston is bone dry right now.

In lieu of the Blanton's shortage, I'm drinking a Belle Meade Single Barrel, Cask Strength 11 Year. Hey the bottle has a horse on it too. 

The 11 is supposed to be pretty rare. The 10 is also pretty tough to find. 

Saw a bottle of blood oath pact 3 the other day. Worth picking up at MSRP?

12 hours ago, PantsTent said:

If it's barrel proof, I would grab one.  I think "Private Selection" implies barrel proof, but not positive.  I think I've had OESF and OESQ before and both were great.  OBSV is the standard single barrel so if you like that, this will be a higher proof and the yeast is supposed to be more "floral".

Found this as well:

https://flightclubict.com/2017/10/30/four-roses-single-barrel-private-selection-obsq-vs-oesq/

18 hours ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Just saw an email that a local store will have Four Roses Private Selection OBSQ available tomorrow for $70/bottle.

Has anyone tried it, or prior "Private Selection" releases, and is it worth trying to get a bottle or two?

7 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Picked up a bottle of McKenna 10 based on this thread. There were a few bottles at the local specs. No huge demand in the burbs.

Also picked up a bottle of sezerac rye.

I think you'll enjoy the Sazerac. It's really good for a rye.  I might make it my go daily drinker when Eagle Rare is scarce. 

There's no telling with the McKenna. 

21 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Yes. Private selection equals barrel proof.  And yes it's worth $70 a bottle.  There are 10 variations. OE is a low rye mash bill (by 4 roses standards but still higher than most) and OB is their high rye.  Both mashbills get paired with one of five yeast strains each with a unique character to make the 10 options.  I'm generally prefer the low rye but was surprised by the OBSV (yes same mashbill as the single barrel but at cask strength and with more age).  It may have been one of the best I've had. 

Word of caution.  Thought I've never disliked any of these I've like some substantially more than others. OESO was my least favorite and I think that is the "fruit" profile if I recall correctly   Anyway my point is they're all surprisingly different and the fact that they are single barrel and often aged different lengths and have different proofs makes even the same mashbill somewhat variable   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brown water said:

Yes. Private selection equals barrel proof.  And yes it's worth $70 a bottle.  There are 10 variations. OE is a low rye mash bill (by 4 roses standards but still higher than most) and OB is their high rye.  Both mashbills get paired with one of five yeast strains each with a unique character to make the 10 options.  I'm generally prefer the low rye but was surprised by the OBSV (yes same mashbill as the single barrel but at cask strength and with more age).  It may have been one of the best I've had. 

Word of caution.  Thought I've never disliked any of these I've like some substantially more than others. OESO was my least favorite and I think that is the "fruit" profile if I recall correctly   Anyway my point is they're all surprisingly different and the fact that they are single barrel and often aged different lengths and have different proofs makes even the same mashbill somewhat variable   

Totally agree they are all worth the shot if you're a fan of the standard release.  I've only had 3 of the 10...can't remember what the 3rd one was.  I had a goal at one time to get all 10, but I usually just drink everything I buy which is why that will never happen and why I can't remember that other bottle because it's long gone.  It's been a few years though so I need to find one to enjoy.

It would be awesome to get a group together and be able to go try all 10 and pick a barrel, but it's mostly impossible in Texas because you need that 3rd tier.  You'd also need $10-12K to buy the bottled barrel.  Yes, I once did some research....

1 hour ago, brown water said:

Picked up a couple of the OBSQ ("Floral, spicy, medium body").  One to drink and one to save.  It is definitely worth $70.  Actually 6 of the 10 varieties have "Fruity" in the description (OBSV, OBSO, OBSF, OESV, OESO and OESF).

Also grabbed a Wild Turkey Decades/Master's Keep.  He gave me the 6 bottle price.  How could I refuse?

• Like 2

Just now, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Picked up a couple of the OBSQ ("Floral, spicy, medium body").  One to drink and one to save.  It is definitely worth $70.  Actually 6 of the 10 varieties have "Fruity" in the description (OBSV, OBSO, OBSF, OESV, OESO and OESF).

Also grabbed a Wild Turkey Decades/Master's Keep.  He gave me the 6 bottle price.  How could I refuse?

That MK is delightful. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yes

I picked up a bottle of Pact 4 today as well. Pretty cool presentation, I hope the bottle is just as good. I'm optimistic about this brand. The description is written is cursive. There's no way millennial hipsters can decipher it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There's a bottle of James Thompson 45 yr Final Reserve up on the Bourbon Secondary Market fb group right now. Auction goes until Sunday. Current bid is $2200. 

Collectors think it could go for $10-$20K on the secondary market. 

I mean, damn.

https://www.whizzky.net/article.php?ide=163

If the proof is above 80, I'm impressed. 

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Is it worth the MSRP?

I saw a bottle in the wild but didn’t pull the trigger

Personally I don’t think so. They priced it about $50 high. But it’s a damn fine bourbon. But I’d happily pay $100 (and I paid $150, because it’s the price of admission if you want to try it). 

11 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yes

I have Pacts 1-3. Pact 1 was turrible. I almost didn’t buy Pact 2 I hated it so much. But Pact 2 is outstanding. I opened Pact 3 a few weeks back and will revisit today after it has breathed a little. Was not blown away by 3 upon first tasting. 

11 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:
54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Hold me back bro if you used a  Pappy 12 in a Mint Julep.
If you're balling at that level, Bobby Axelrod wants some stock tips. 

I'm your huckleberry. My buddy has so much of it, that's what he drinks at derby time.

Could you introduce me?

Same. I don't think RY10 makes it all the way down to Houston. 
Belle Meade 11 is excellent. Pick it up if available. It's very, very hard to mess up a 11 year old, single barrel.

I think I saw it on Friday at the specs on Bay Area Blvd. I don’t know things or I would have picked it up.

5dw4tk.jpg

The bourbon bar at our daughters wedding yesterday. Obviously the before shot, the after shot was just too sad what with all the empty bottles.  Arturo Fuente robustos, and then a batch of about 20 18 year old vintage Ghurkas showed up to round out the setting.

• Like 3

5dw4tk.jpg

The bourbon bar at our daughters wedding yesterday. Obviously the before shot, the after shot was just too sad what with all the empty bottles.  Arturo Fuente robustos, and then a batch of about 20 18 year old vintage Ghurkas showed up to round out the setting.

In terms of findable stuff, Russell 10 and Bulleit 10 are pretty good.