Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 4/21/2018 at 5:25 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

My most consistent Blanton's connection is a place you would NEVER expect to sell good bourbons. I agree with the posters above, it's all about forming good relationships with the people that work there. 

This on both counts.

There's a Walmart close to where I live that leans more meth than bourbon yet they'll get the occasional shipment of Blanton's and Eagle Rare.  It can linger there for a while because the meth heads are just in there for Schlitz and Jack.  After a while, I got to be on speaking terms with the third party rep that works the store.  He'll basically tell me when something is coming in.  Bought 6 bottles of ER today and 3 Blanton's 2 weeks ago.  One time they had 12 bottles of Blanton's and supposedly, someone bought 5 Blanton's this morning before my ER score.

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This on both counts.

There's a Walmart close to where I live that leans more meth than bourbon yet they'll get the occasional shipment of Blanton's and Eagle Rare.  It can linger there for a while because the meth heads are just in there for Schlitz and Jack.  After a while, I got to be on speaking terms with the third party rep that works the store.  He'll basically tell me when something is coming in.  Bought 6 bottles of ER today and 3 Blanton's 2 weeks ago.  One time they had 12 bottles of Blanton's and supposedly, someone bought 5 Blanton's this morning before my ER score.

Do you live in Oklahoma or Alabama? Maybe Arkansas? 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do you live in Oklahoma or Alabama? Maybe Arkansas? 

At this point in time, yes.  One of the three.  What gave it away?  The rarity of Eagle Rare and Blantons?  It couldn't have been the meth addled Walmarts because they're everywhere.

Well they don't sell booze in grocery stores in Texas. One of life's many ironies. 

By the strong meth indicators and passing on good bourbon, I'm guessing Oklahoma. 

Surely Bama and Auburn fans can find a decent bourbon. They need something nice to celebrate their cousin's pregnancy. 

Arkansas, well, yes a complete s*** hole, but surely Wal Mart corporate employees know how to a good bourbon in their own stores. 

I mean do you think it’s because...

1. They can only produce so much bourbon, and with age statements, sales are flat, and by taking them off they can do more small batch, mix in younger bourbon, and sell more bottles?

2.  Age statements limit them. People think it’s better bourbon, when sometimes it’s really not. But you can’t put the age statement unless it’s all aged that long. They’re trying to change the culture 

3. Numerology is a cult 

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well they don't sell booze in grocery stores in Texas. One of life's many ironies. 

By the strong meth indicators and passing on good bourbon, I'm guessing Oklahoma. 

Surely Bama and Auburn fans can find a decent bourbon. They need something nice to celebrate their cousin's pregnancy. 

Arkansas, well, yes a complete s*** hole, but surely Wal Mart corporate employees know how to a good bourbon in their own stores. *

Your knowledge of alcohol laws, cultural snobbery, and corporate procurement serve you well.

**Cool Story Alert**

There's a WMT in Missouri across the Arky/Misery state line that's prolly 7 miles from the WMT corporate office.  Different state, though, which matters insofar as distributorships.  Some time back, a delivery was made to that store by the distributor of that was extremely heavy on everything and very high end.  Stuff that store had no business carrying.  They had cases of Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Taylor, etc.  The wife (no pics) was there for work related stuff and texted and asked if I wanted anything.  Not from there, I said.  She said they had 12 ER's, which NO ONE had.  "Buy it all," I said.

We learned later that the WMT buying team ordered that heavy shipment to help the sales rep make the quarter and in return got a few bottles of Pappy.  The WMT team is now the former WMT buying team, it should be noted but at least they went out with some style.

Me, you ask?

]IMG_0737.jpg

Edited by Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Your knowledge of alcohol laws, cultural snobbery, and corporate procurement serve you well.

**Cool Story Alert**

There's a WMT in Missouri across the Arky/Misery state line that's prolly 7 miles from the WMT corporate office.  Different state, though, which matters insofar as distributorships.  Some time back, a delivery was made to that store by the distributor of that was extremely heavy on everything and very high end.  Stuff that store had no business carrying.  They had cases of Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Taylor, etc.  The wife (no pics) was there for work related stuff and texted and asked if I wanted anything.  Not from there, I said.  She said they had 12 ER's, which NO ONE had.  "Buy it all," I said.

We learned later that the WMT buying team ordered that heavy shipment to help the sales rep make the quarter and in return got a few bottles of Pappy.  The WMT team is not the former WMT buying team, it should be noted but at least they went out with some style.

Me, you ask?

]IMG_0737.jpg

Better start stocking up for the Texas game in Fayetteville in 2021. You're hosting. 

Buffalo Trace is starting to get cute with their distributors. They're basically making them buy a ton of Wheatley Vodka, which they can't move, to get access to allocated bottles. 

One of my local stores pushed back and got cute themselves. If you bought one bottle of Wheatley, they gave you one raffle ticket for a chance to buy a bottle of Handy for the MSRP. I passed, but good for them. 

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I spoke with a store owner who claimed he bought all the Wheatley Vodka type crap and threw it into a shopping cart where they basically sold everything at cost.  Just wanted to move it so he could get the allocated bottles.

Buffalo Trace is a great company. Very well run. They respect their brands, and the traditional way of doing things. But man, they stepped in it with Wheatley. 

It's not a horrible product, I just think it's confusing to people. Why is this great bourbon company producing a vodka? There are stealthier ways to roll out a new product. 

Curiously, Buffalo Trace doesn't advertise their ownership of Hancock's Reserve which a darned good bourbon. It's a dead ringer for Blanton's and it's the same price. It's usually harder to find though. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The Jefferson's Chefs Collaboration grew on me a little bit. I suggest opening it up, have a glass and let it sit for a day or two. 

It's a blend, but the rye jumps out and is a little dominant in my opinion. It's not bad, but I wish I bought a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve instead. 

Things should pick up around Father's Day. I might pick up another bottle of Elijah Craig if I can't find anything else. I wish they stayed with the age statement, but it's pretty good at $30 a bottle.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I mean do you think it’s because...

1. They can only produce so much bourbon, and with age statements, sales are flat, and by taking them off they can do more small batch, mix in younger bourbon, and sell more bottles?

2.  Age statements limit them. People think it’s better bourbon, when sometimes it’s really not. But you can’t put the age statement unless it’s all aged that long. They’re trying to change the culture 

3. Numerology is a cult 

1) Maybe

2) Yes

3) Lizard people 

On 4/29/2018 at 8:34 AM, 'stache said:

I found Elijah Craig Barrel Proof yesterday.  Bought it and found it to be pretty damned good.  It was the last bottle so I assume I got lucky finding it.

Yes.  That's a good find.

3 hours ago, bularry1 said:

holy shit, not sure I've ever had a bourbon with that heat level.

36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

treat yourself to some George T Stagg then.  

My Elijah Craig barrel proof is also 130+.  Was great with a big chunk of ice.  

Stagg is remarkably smooth given it's high proof.

Stagg Jr has gotten better every release. It's becoming pretty sought after because of the improving quality, high proof and price point. I'll buy at least two the next time I see it. Very hot start. I would suggest drinking the first pour with ice cube, and then let the bottle sit for a couple days. You should be able to drink it neat after that.  

I have a bottle of Handy I'm saving until I get some really good news. It's 120+ proof as well. 

Do y'all have any suggestions for Bourbon of the Month Clubs? I'm a member with Blackwell's. Gary is a hell of a nice guy, but I've passed on nearly all of his monthly selections. He usually saves the good stuff for Father's Day and Christmas. 

14 minutes ago, huge said:

No idea. But they don't distill their own. It is allegedly sourced from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, LTD., aka Willet Distillery. Willet has been around a while as a bottling company but didn't start distilling their own until 2012, so they were allegedly sourcing theirs from Heaven Hill, which makes good bourbon. So it's probably good. 

Is Widow Jane sourced from Kentucky/Indiana or do they distill it in New York? I don't trust anything made outside of Kentucky/Indiana. I've heard very mixed things on Widow Jane. I'd try it at a bar before committing to a whole bottle.

I'm calling around to try and track down a bottle of Blanton's for Derby weekend. My reserves are running pretty low. I went with Sazerac Rye for Old Fashioneds and good ole Buffalo Trace for Mint Juleps. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Widow Jane sourced from Kentucky/Indiana or do they distill it in New York? I don't trust anything made outside of Kentucky/Indiana. I've heard very mixed things on Widow Jane. I'd try it at a bar before committing to a whole bottle.

I'm calling around to try and track down a bottle of Blanton's for Derby weekend. My reserves are running pretty low. I went with Sazerac Rye for Old Fashioneds and good ole Buffalo Trace for Mint Juleps. 

Sourced from Indiana MGP. 

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/09/wherein-we-mine-more-facts-about-widow.html

Which doesn’t mean it’s bad. They make a good product. 

Here are others made there 

http://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

5 minutes ago, That Guy said:

grabbed a bottle of the rebel yell 10 yr. interested to see if it’s worth the price. Also, unhappy with how difficult locating eh Taylor is at times. Seems to dry up for months at some of my shops. 

I love the RY 10.   One of my all time favorite bottles.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Sourced from Indiana MGP. 

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2014/09/wherein-we-mine-more-facts-about-widow.html

Which doesn’t mean it’s bad. They make a good product. 

Here are others made there 

http://www.great-taste.net/tidbits-kudos/industry-news/whisky-brands-that-are-made-at-mgp/

Thanks. Interesting links. High West puts out a really good product. I believe one of their founders is a chemist, so he literally has blending bourbons and ryes down to a science. High West Son of Bourye is my favorite. Tremendous value at its price point. Bourye really isn't better and it costs twice as much. 

I'm not that into ryesonly,  but Yippe Ki-Yay got better as I finished the bottle. I think it's overpriced though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

Anybody tried Walking Stick SB?  Tried new store and guy behind the counter was pushing.  Picked up a bookers 18-1;  haven't tried it yet though. 

The Specs guys push the hell out of it. If they're going to to do that, they need to offer you samples like at Total. 

Total won't let you sample everything, but if a distiller sends them a "special" single barrel they always offer you a sample. 

I was able to nab a bottle of Blood Oath Pact 4. It's not supposed to be as good as previous releases, but I might as well. Houston is bone dry right now.

In lieu of the Blanton's shortage, I'm drinking a Belle Meade Single Barrel, Cask Strength 11 Year. Hey the bottle has a horse on it too. 

The 11 is supposed to be pretty rare. The 10 is also pretty tough to find.