Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 5/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Local Twin Liquors.  Don't go in looking only for ER, W12, etc.  Go in to buy your regular bourbon and then inquire while checking out.  Get to know the employees and especially the store manager, address them by name when you walk in, ask about their recent trip to New York and the bourbon prices there.

When does it get to the offer of a blowjob?  Are we there yet?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

When does it get to the offer of a blowjob?  Are we there yet?

Some of the store managers act like that should be a prerequisite - two particular local stores come to mind.  If the employee/manager acts like they that, then I'm not giving them any business.  My preferred stores are both run by nice, friendly women.

Some of the store managers act like that should be a prerequisite - two particular local stores come to mind.  If the employee/manager acts like they that, then I'm not giving them any business.  My preferred stores are both run by nice, friendly women.

So cunnilingus? Or ass eating?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

My local twin liquors is cunty and I stopped going. I used to go often when I moved into the neighborhood, chat up the manager guy, buy some of his bourbon recs. One day, I knew Weller 12 was out in the wild. I inquired about it. He said no they didn’t have any. I pick out some bottles of wine for the wife. Register lady asks if I found all I wanted. I replied yes. I mentioned striking out on Weller 12. She says what? We have some in the back. I say weird. Manager didn’t mention it. She says he should know he was the one who told her about it. 

Never returned 

16 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Long shot, but if anyone knows where I can score some EH Taylor Old Fashioned Sour Mash I would be highly greatful. I'm willing to pay full secondary market prices, and I also have high value bottles I can throw in for trade.

I may have a guy..........

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Debs Liquor is NW austin has an amazing bourbon selection. Very nice couple runs the place. 

True.  Although, they charge a premium on the good stuff.  I passed up a bottle of Blanton's a while back since it was priced at $90.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:13 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I picked up a bottle of McKenna and a bottle of ER last night.  I need to try them side by side.  Actually, there are several bourbons I should try side by side

On 4/25/2018 at 11:25 AM, UT Lawnghorn said:

This is a good idea. I have both but haven't tasted them in succession. I shall do that soon, probably tonight.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:39 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't think you'll be surprised. Eagle Rare is better. 

Somewhat to my surprise, I actually did like the McKenna better.  I'm not as high on Eagle Rare as some on this board, although I do like it.  I was very impressed with the McKenna; I thought it was very good and if the next bottle is as good as this one, it's going to become a staple in my liquor cabinet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Somewhat to my surprise, I actually did like the McKenna better.  I'm not as high on Eagle Rare as some on this board, although I do like it.  I was very impressed with the McKenna; I thought it was very good and if the next bottle is as good as this one, it's going to become a staple in my liquor cabinet.

Consistency wise, I think you're playing with fire. 

In the easy to find, inexpensive realm, which one would y'all recommend, Bowman's Single Barrel or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel? 

Bowman's sources their juice from Buffalo Trace and is also owned by them, but chars the barrels and stores in Virginia. I've heard it's not as good, but pretty similar to Blanton's. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In the easy to find, inexpensive realm, which one would y'all recommend, Bowman's Single Barrel or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel? 

Bowman's sources their juice from Buffalo Trace and is also owned by them, but chars the barrels and stores in Virginia. I've heard it's not as good, but pretty similar to Blanton's. 

Bowman's  by far.  I'm pretty high on Bowman's all by itself.

Edited by Tyler Durden

19 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

Long shot, but if anyone knows where I can score some EH Taylor Old Fashioned Sour Mash I would be highly greatful. I'm willing to pay full secondary market prices, and I also have high value bottles I can throw in for trade.

$2500 a bottle on Wine Searcher. My goodness.

Are you Bobby Axelrod? 

On 5/9/2018 at 9:24 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Up there with Cowboy. 

GB regular - now, its average. The minimuk age of bourbon in the bottle is now close to 5 years. Its alright. But every release seems to be getting older and better

Single Barrel - good, but nothing earth shattering. Kind of a reach for $80, but good to try at least once, imo

Cowboy - my favorite Texas bourbon and one of the best bourbons ive had. That being said, $180 is a little too much for me to buy it on the reg. However, its better than almost anything on the shelf in Texas. I think the youngest bourbon in this latest release is close to 7-8 years

Balmorrhea - was shocked by this one. Price is steep. However, the 115 proof level of this bourbon works great for me. Its great neat, but not too hot or in your face. Almost like bourbon candy. Def. recommend this one. Seen nothing but good reviews on this release

Estacado - finished in port barrels iirc. Havent had it. Still distillery only. Maybe it will  join their year round distribution like the others

real talk, i support Garrison Brothers because Dan is a UT alum and I firmly believe that in 5-10 years, they will be one of the best distilleries outside of Kentucky. Their product continues to get better year after year, and their pricing is also improving. Its too bad so many people were put off by their initial offering(s), because I really think the stuff that isnt regular GB is great. Just my opinion

I like what Garrison Brothers is trying to do and the tour was great. Really cool property in Hye. But I hate their pricing. I'm not paying $100 for a decent bourbon. For that price it better be exceptional. 

Where do the hell do they get off? All of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles are $90. Pappy 10, 12, and 15 are all less than $100. 

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

PSA: Heaven Hill’s new fancied up version Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond should be hitting the shelves in the next few weeks.

Be on the look out, it’s got the potential to be special- it is to Larceny what Lot B is to Weller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they releasing it in Texas? 

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like what Garrison Brothers is trying to do and the tour was great. Really cool property in Hye. But I hate their pricing. I'm not paying $100 for a decent bourbon. For that price it better be exceptional. 

Where do the hell do they get off? All of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bottles are $90. Pappy 10, 12, and 15 are all less than $100. 

wut?  if you find pappy for less than $350 call me. 

garrisons is priced too high.  i'll give you that.  it's great bourbon though, and something texas should be proud of.  i'll definitely buy a bottle of the balmorhea and estacado if I ever see it, even if it is $120/750 ml.  but I won't do it twice no matter how good it is. 

11 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

wut?  if you find pappy for less than $350 call me. 

garrisons is priced too high.  i'll give you that.  it's great bourbon though, and something texas should be proud of.  i'll definitely buy a bottle of the balmorhea and estacado if I ever see it, even if it is $120/750 ml.  but I won't do it twice no matter how good it is. 

I was referencing the MSRPs. https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/pappy-van-winkle-bourbon-2017-release-details-emerge/

If Garrison Brothers was $50 a bottle I think it would be a much more popular brand. For instance, most of the Balcones offerings are around $40-$50.  I'm pulling for them, but I won't buy it until the price comes down. 

22 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont think $179 for one of the worlds best bourbons is too expensive, but thats just me.

Age statement? Their oldest bourbon is 4 years. For $179 it better be at least 10 years old. That's $100 more than EH Taylor Four Grain and Seasoned Wood. 

I like how they're doing things at Garrison Brothers. They're making their own stuff, not sourcing it and then bottling it. I think it'll pay off in the long run. I hope someday they'll sell a reasonably priced 10-12 year single barrel. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

PSA: Heaven Hill’s new fancied up version Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond should be hitting the shelves in the next few weeks.

Be on the look out, it’s got the potential to be special- it is to Larceny what Lot B is to Weller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this confirmed? Been waiting for this release. Are we even going to see it in Texas? 

The Old Fitzgerald Bottled-in-Bond Series will be available in the 750ml size on an allocated basis each spring and fall throughout the next five years. The spring 2018 edition meets the strict requirements of a bottled-in-bond: the product of a single distillery from a single distilling season, aged a minimum of four years, and bottled at 100 proof or 50% alcohol by volume. The first edition is available at a suggested retail price of $110.00.

Edited by Neonmoon

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Age statement? Their oldest bourbon is 4 years. For $179 it better be at least 10 years old. That's $100 more than EH Taylor Four Grain and Seasoned Wood. 

I like how they're doing things at Garrison Brothers. They're making their own stuff, not sourcing it and then bottling it. I think it'll pay off in the long run. I hope someday they'll sell a reasonably priced 10-12 year single barrel. 

Their latest Cowboy release was 7-8 years old. Their 2018 GB Reserve was 4. Dan Garrison has said on FB that all of their single barrels recently have been at least 5. 

I agree, they are getting there. In 5 years, its gonna be really exciting to see what theyre doing.

They arent cheap. Their original GB Reserve vintages were crap for years, imo. But i think a lotta that had to do with how young they were. Their prices have dropped about 20% on average for everything over the past 3-4 years, so thats good. 

I can totally understand not wanting to buy their product due to price though. Im just mad they turned a lotta people off for their first 4-5 years by offering a bad product at a super high price. Now, those people are hesitating to give them another try. Sucks for GB, but thats the game

49 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Their latest Cowboy release was 7-8 years old. Their 2018 GB Reserve was 4. Dan Garrison has said on FB that all of their single barrels recently have been at least 5. 

I agree, they are getting there. In 5 years, its gonna be really exciting to see what theyre doing.

They arent cheap. Their original GB Reserve vintages were crap for years, imo. But i think a lotta that had to do with how young they were. Their prices have dropped about 20% on average for everything over the past 3-4 years, so thats good. 

I can totally understand not wanting to buy their product due to price though. Im just mad they turned a lotta people off for their first 4-5 years by offering a bad product at a super high price. Now, those people are hesitating to give them another try. Sucks for GB, but thats the game

Meh, it’s a long game. Huge capital investment to get going and keep it going before the longer aged stuff is ready. They could of gone the vodka route for cash like many do, or the sourced route like Rebecca Creek or Smooth Ambler. They didn’t. They make their own, and age their own. That ain’t cheap. Priced to survive probably 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Get a bigger initial investment so you don’t ruin your name in the marketplace with shit overpriced product?

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh, it’s a long game. Huge capital investment to get going and keep it going before the longer aged stuff is ready. They could of gone the vodka route for cash like many do, or the sourced route like Rebecca Creek or Smooth Ambler. They didn’t. They make their own, and age their own. That ain’t cheap. Priced to survive probably 

The truth/path lies somewhere in between, in my opinion. Im glad they went the route they did, but they def. should have waited until 2013 or 2014 at the earliest to release their product

This whole market is frustrating. I went on a small search today and finally found Weller. They wanted 60 bucks for Special Reserve. Ended up with EH Taylor Small Batch for 43. I am in So Cal and never see either of those on shelves.  As for the Eagle Rare, its everywhere here and was marked down to 27.99 at multiple locations .