Bourbon

Jimbaround

had Elmer T Lee for the first time this past week.  I liked it quite a bit.

I also tried a 123 proof bourbon that is slipping my memory.  damn it, occupational hazard of being a big drinker I guess.

Edited by bularry1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

True Blue also won Best American Corn.

I have uncorked bottles of True Blue 100 and Balcones Bourbon and I really like the flavor profile of the blue corn.  I keep them at work, because if they were at home they'd be gone.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

5dw4tk.jpg

The bourbon bar at our daughters wedding yesterday. Obviously the before shot, the after shot was just too sad what with all the empty bottles.  Arturo Fuente robustos, and then a batch of about 20 18 year old vintage Ghurkas showed up to round out the setting.

My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.  I hope your daughter and S-I-L appreciate the sacrifice you made.

A Total Wine just opened up near me.  $10 coupon went toward a bottle of OF 1897.  I'm enjoying it -- pretty solid all the way through, with some vanilla at the finish.  OFBB is still one of my grails.

Next grab a bottle of the 1920. Their best bourbon IMO.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thestud said:

Find the bourbon guy or manager, talk whiskey with him for a minute. Tell him what you're looking for, extra points if you have some knowledge about the product that the average schmuck looking to flip this stuff wouldn't know. Then seal the deal by letting him know that you're not the kind of asshole that would adulterate a good whiskey with something like coke or anything more than two ice cubes. Once he knows you're a square guy and lets you into the trust tree, then all shall be revealed to you. The heavens will open up, beer will flow like wine, and the beautiful women will instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

2 CUBES !!!!!!!???  No bourbon for you !!

59 minutes ago, thestud said:

Find the bourbon guy or manager, talk whiskey with him for a minute. Tell him what you're looking for, extra points if you have some knowledge about the product that the average schmuck looking to flip this stuff wouldn't know. Then seal the deal by letting him know that you're not the kind of asshole that would adulterate a good whiskey with something like coke or anything more than two ice cubes. Once he knows you're a square guy and lets you into the trust tree, then all shall be revealed to you. The heavens will open up, beer will flow like wine, and the beautiful women will instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

You been sucking back on Grandpa's cough medicine? You little pumpkin pie hair cutted freak.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Pasadena, California

I live near you.

Do you ever go to Mission Liquor at the intersection of Washington and Allen?  If not, you should -- a fine selection of bourbon, rye, scotch, etc.  If you're looking for Blanton's, Mission typically has it on the shelf.  And if it isn't out there, ask for the manager and see if they have it in the back.  

47 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I live near you.

Do you ever go to Mission Liquor at the intersection of Washington and Allen?  If not, you should -- a fine selection of bourbon, rye, scotch, etc.  If you're looking for Blanton's, Mission typically has it on the shelf.  

Yeah, I go to Mission. Bought 4 bottles of Blanton's at $ 85 per, I think.  Supply and demand, I understand it. It tastes a little better at $ 56.95, though. There's a small liquor store In East LA where I buy my Cuervo La Familia for $99, I've never looked at their bourbon prices.

I live in Sierra Madre.

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

Pasadena, California

5 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Yeah, I go to Mission. Bought 4 bottles of Blanton's at $ 85 per, I think.  Supply and demand, I understand it. It tastes a little better at $ 56.95, though. There's a small liquor store In East LA where I buy my Cuervo La Familia for $99, I've never looked at their bourbon prices.

I live in Sierra Madre.

Flying to LAX tomorrow.  Driving to Burbank.  Checking golf clubs, so I can potentially bring home brown water.  Flying home Thursday from SNA.  Any of you left coasters with secret brown water treasure troves, please let me know.

23 minutes ago, otisdog said:

I live in Sierra Madre.

I lived in Sierra Madre very briefly several years ago.  Lovely town.  I go to Taylor's to get my beef ribs and (when I'm feeling spendy) steaks.  And I imagine you've seen the interior of Lucky Baldwin's once or twice.

Out of curiosity, what did Total Wine charge you for the Blanton's?

22 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Flying to LAX tomorrow.  Driving to Burbank.  Checking golf clubs, so I can potentially bring home brown water.  Flying home Thursday from SNA.  Any of you left coasters with secret brown water treasure troves, please let me know.

There's a Mission Liquor on W. Glenoaks Blvd. in Glendale, which is right next to Burbank.  I've never been to that location, but if it's anything like the one in Pasadena, it'll have a great selection of bourbon and rye.

29 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I lived in Sierra Madre very briefly several years ago.  Lovely town.  I go to Taylor's to get my beef ribs and (when I'm feeling spendy) steaks.  And I imagine you've seen the interior of Lucky Baldwin's once or twice.

Out of curiosity, what did Total Wine charge you for the Blanton's?

Yup, we ride our bikes to Lucky Baldwins so we don't have to deal with the lovely Sierra Madre's finest on the way home. Problem with Lucky's is they have so much heavy beer, it's more of a Fall/Winter thing for us. Kind of tough drinking a Belgian triple when it's 90 plus degrees out.

Total Wine charged $56.95, minus the $10 coupon for the new store opening. Came home, got the wife, dove into my neighbors recycling for her $10 coupon (this should probably be in the "cheap" forum)(it was trash day) and went back and got another bottle. Blanton's is my fave. I was up in Folsom dealing with my mom's estate and the little market  had a full shelf of it, and didn't bat an eye when I bought 10.

• Like 1

Went to the Kentucky Derby this weekend, hit the bourbon tour on Friday. Stitzel-Weller distillery, now Bulleitt, sat in Pappy’s old office and enjoyed some 10 year. On to Kentucky Artisan Distillery, home to Jefferson’s, which was a fair experience, and then on to Buffalo Trace for the last tour. We encountered special Derby mid sized bottles of Blantons literally flying off the shelves but limited to one per person and no time to stand in the long checkout lines before our tour, so I hid quite a few of them around the gift shop prior to our tour, and with other members of our group following my lead, we all went thru the line multiple times after our tour to acquire more than one per person......with customers asking where we got them and clerks saying I thought we were already sold out.....

Onward to Saturday where we were twisting off at the race all day..... before the most exciting 2 minutes in sports a vendor comes by with a tray of mint juleps and my buddy hands him a couple hundred and takes the entire damn tray of juleps (literally, the dude just took his straps and walked off) for our box....it got a little hazy after that. Damn good time. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 this evening while grabbing a bottle of Buffalo Trace.  Asked if they had any ER, and she asked if I wanted to add on a bottle of Weller 12.  $24.99 for Buffalo Trace.  $25.99 for Weller 12.   

donde?

Local Twin Liquors.  Don't go in looking only for ER, W12, etc.  Go in to buy your regular bourbon and then inquire while checking out.  Get to know the employees and especially the store manager, address them by name when you walk in, ask about their recent trip to New York and the bourbon prices there.

Local Twin Liquors.  Don't go in looking only for ER, W12, etc.  Go in to buy your regular bourbon and then inquire while checking out.  Get to know the employees and especially the store manager, address them by name when you walk in, ask about their recent trip to New York and the bourbon prices there.

This guy gets it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I haven't found any of GB's offerings to be very good or worth the month (their Cowboy bourbon).  How is this one?

Up there with Cowboy. 

GB regular - now, its average. The minimuk age of bourbon in the bottle is now close to 5 years. Its alright. But every release seems to be getting older and better

Single Barrel - good, but nothing earth shattering. Kind of a reach for $80, but good to try at least once, imo

Cowboy - my favorite Texas bourbon and one of the best bourbons ive had. That being said, $180 is a little too much for me to buy it on the reg. However, its better than almost anything on the shelf in Texas. I think the youngest bourbon in this latest release is close to 7-8 years

Balmorrhea - was shocked by this one. Price is steep. However, the 115 proof level of this bourbon works great for me. Its great neat, but not too hot or in your face. Almost like bourbon candy. Def. recommend this one. Seen nothing but good reviews on this release

Estacado - finished in port barrels iirc. Havent had it. Still distillery only. Maybe it will  join their year round distribution like the others

real talk, i support Garrison Brothers because Dan is a UT alum and I firmly believe that in 5-10 years, they will be one of the best distilleries outside of Kentucky. Their product continues to get better year after year, and their pricing is also improving. Its too bad so many people were put off by their initial offering(s), because I really think the stuff that isnt regular GB is great. Just my opinion