Bourbon

Jimbaround

a533fb93d2746a1545b8c1c6338eb1f0.jpg
I just continue to piggyback off all of the recommendations. This was the last bottle at Two Bucks liquor off of 35 in south FW. I asked if they carried it. Wasn’t with the RC products. The guy said, “Well. I guess we are out of it.” I actually walked right past it and my 9-year old daughter said, “This one says Rebecca Creek. Is it this one?” It was about 10-15 bottles down from all the other RC product. She got to pick a candy of her choice at the checkout line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Finally got one of these.  Have looked in Dallas, San Antonio, LBK, AMA, Denver, and Cleveland-Akron to no avail.  Finally walked into my local shop this morning after a week in Ohio, and there are 4 bottles on the shelf, as if to say, 'we've been here the whole time!"

No you haven't bitches... but one a y'all comin home with me.

Now to decide when to open it.

IMG_8758.jpeg

On 9/23/2023 at 5:29 PM, slorch said:

Finally got one of these.  Have looked in Dallas, San Antonio, LBK, AMA, Denver, and Cleveland-Akron to no avail.  Finally walked into my local shop this morning after a week in Ohio, and there are 4 bottles on the shelf, as if to say, 'we've been here the whole time!"

No you haven't bitches... but one a y'all comin home with me.

Now to decide when to open it.

IMG_8758.jpeg

Haha thanks for using my pic in your post. The JD BP rye is a great pour. Enjoy!

Edited by Yev Kassem

On 9/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, tokamak said:

Surly whiskey drinkers, what’s a good mid priced rye? My wife has gotten into Manhattans in a big way. She’s been drinking Bulleit, but I started googling and looks like it’s just made in a big factory in Indiana with a bunch of other brands. Feels like fuckery to me. What can I get that’s more authentic in that price range?

I don't drink a ton of straight rye, so I don't have the comparison baselines that some other posters have.  That said, the Frey Ranch straight rye ($50-60) has grown on me.  The nose is still funky, but I've grown to like how it tastes after initially thinking it was merely okay.  I get a fair amount of caramel and vanilla, which suits me. 

And as an added bonus, the bottle can be used as a weapon once you drink the juice.  Seriously, whacking someone upside the head with that heavy bottle might kill a mofo.

I don't drink a ton of straight rye, so I don't have the comparison baselines that some other posters have.  That said, the Frey Ranch straight rye ($50-60) has grown on me.  The nose is still funky, but I've grown to like how it tastes after initially thinking it was merely okay.  I get a fair amount of caramel and vanilla, which suits me. 
And as an added bonus, the bottle can be used as a weapon once you drink the juice.  Seriously, whacking someone upside the head with that heavy bottle might kill a mofo.

An empty Frey Ranch bottle weighs the same as a full Weller bottle.

Killed a great one tonight.
bad854d3313f69b0c5b743d004d1f2bb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I still haven’t seen the Old Forester SiBBP Rye in the wild. The last time I even heard about it in Houston was when Spec’s Midtown got a 6 pack a few years ago. 

Oak Liquor got a case and posted it to Instagram about a month back. I was shocked to see Raj just offer it up to the world like that. I got up there in time to scoop one but they were gone in a flash.

10 hours ago, huge said:

The one I got is gasoline.  Reminds me of early Stagg Jr.  I need to revisit.

c996b432095a9a02ca43e42564b99547.jpg

I’m starting to wonder if 110 proof is the sweet for a barrel strength rye? That’s the proof of everybody’s favorite Michter’s. 

Handy is a notable exception. JD Special Special Release Rye was also great. 

I’m cooling on the JD SiBBP Rye which is north of 130 proof. The last couple bottles I’ve opened have tasted very hot and young. 

I do enjoy most high proof bourbons.

I’m starting to wonder if 110 proof is the sweet for a barrel strength rye? That’s the proof of everybody’s favorite Michter’s. 
I’m cooling on the JD SiBBP Rye which is north of 130 proof. The last couple bottles I’ve opened have tasted very hot and young. 

First one I had was around 118 and I thought it was perfect. Second is right around this 130 mark and I have yet to open her up. First is a Zykan special and the latter most certainly isn’t, though I’ve softened on her “impact”.

Honestly, it takes a lot for me to crack anything north of 115 on a weeknight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Quite good. Nice oak, some cherry upfront, appropriate amount of burn on the finish. Everything you’d expect in a good ECBP pick. 

I love the edition to EC’s lineup. I don’t have to hunt the A,B, and C barrel proof releases. If I really want Blackwells has them for $20 mark up, or I’m content in just drinking store picks. 

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Quite good. Nice oak, some cherry upfront, appropriate amount of burn on the finish. Everything you’d expect in a good ECBP pick. 

I love the edition to EC’s lineup. I don’t have to hunt the A,B, and C barrel proof releases. If I really want Blackwells has them for $20 mark up, or I’m content in just drinking store picks. 

Premier has ECBP for $150 but the private for $70.

12 vs 8 on the age statement but I've enjoyed the 8 I bought.

Looks like the JDSiBBP Rye finally hitting shelves in Texas. Looks young and hot. Pass.

Based on your rec, I triedJDSiB store picks and liked them. Will look for those.

4 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Man, going to cut down on those out of state margins! Is it still limited release? I never grabbed one myself but was actually impressed with the tastes I had.

It was always $70 at Spec’s Houston. I think I bought 1 of the first 6 they put on the shelf. 

Boogie, it’s a Texas only release, not supposed to be limited, and OF says it’s in the permanent lineup. However, given that’s 7 years old and 105 proof Old Forester, it’s been damn hard to find. I love it. 

42 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Looks like the JDSiBBP Rye finally hitting shelves in Texas. Looks young and hot. Pass.

Based on your rec, I triedJDSiB store picks and liked them. Will look for those.

I’m not ready to write JDSiBBP Rye just yet. I do think it needs to breathe some. I drank some two weeks ago, and revisited it this past weekend. It was quite good. I think a wider glass than a Glencairn helps some too. 

Norlan is quite good, but any bar glass will work. 

Not bourbon but tried this guy out: 

https://www.frootbat.com/product/4833153/Hakata-12-Year-Old-Sherry-Cask-Whisky-750ml-Bottle/united-states?oid=4&affid=2

Was not ready for this.  Maybe should have tried the 10 first.  Had to sip on it with an ice ball.  

Anyone tried? 

Apparently too strong for them to sell in Japan bc of shochu rules so only sold here. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

eefd46d53808158b1047c9fb36ae2b24.jpg

It’s not always about the high dollar bottles.

But damn I’m jelly of yall finding Blanton’s Gold. Maybe my all timer. And I think SiB is kind of unremarkable.

I've got a bottle of the 100 proof VOB.  It's very respectable for its price and a good mixer.  I don't think I've had the 90.  And OGD 114 always punches well above its price.

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Bill,
You got a pappy 20?
You could get 18 King Ranch’s
emoji23.png
f0ce792951f5d0fd89ec78c81160f51c.png

I played some roulette with Total’s online store tonight and lost. They let me check out with a couple bottles of King Ranch and cancelled my order about 5 minutes later. 

Bold move by that fella to buy 3 cases of King Ranch. I don’t think it’ll ever be a shelf turd, but it should be easier to find than the OF single barrels. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis