Bourbon

Jimbaround

23 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Would y’all pay $300 for the Russell’s 13?

Also, Colonel Taylor Small Batch for $120. 🥲

I’d pass on both. Honestly, I would just go into Richard’s once a month and ask if they have any EHT Small Batch.

I can’t help you on R13. I got blanked this year. 

Been hitting the Shaker tastings and it took everything I had not to laugh in the rep’s face as she lauded this lineup.

“Rye of the year” kept being said over and over with the question of “yes, but which list” failing to be answered as she poured for others.

Telling that the only point of interest for me among their 5 offerings was the coffee.

If it’s NY, it’s still baby bourbon or bust for me…

23355ac42e4e1512a2c330cd7a3ecc31.jpg

Also, anyone care to educate me on this Dowling? That’s a high price point for something I’ve never heard of…

6139ede6a32ef828792434ae55699e6e.jpg

• Haha 1

Dfw dudes. I am doing an inventory this weekend of my collection. Looking to package up bottles for good trades. I have 7 bottles of Russel’s store picks. One bottle per trade you help me out with. Inventory coming soon. 

moving to Arizona and don’t need 70 bottles to come with me. 

On 12/3/2023 at 10:41 AM, Slacks said:

Do any of the most recent bits count? 

Eagle Rare (2)

GH Mckenna

Weller (regular ol green) 

Blantons

1792 (2)

Buffalo Trace (4)

I still like to find $25 gems that are as good as the over hyped and over priced stuff. And I would like it to stay available. 

I used that green label Weller in place of Irish whiskey to make Irish coffee about a week ago simply because it was the closest bottle to me. Fuck me, I have been slamming them down every night since. I don’t know what it is about that particular sauce, but something really fucking special happens when mixed with strong coffee, heavy cream and brown sugar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Not really a bourbon drinker (I know woe is me) but what's the best Texas bourbon and whiskey out there that is affordable. Looking to get my brother in law a Christmas gift.

If you’re looking for a rye, I really can’t help you. Some guys on here like the Balcones ryes, but I’ve never gotten into them. 

On 12/10/2023 at 5:04 AM, 59 Burst said:

I used that green label Weller in place of Irish whiskey to make Irish coffee about a week ago simply because it was the closest bottle to me. Fuck me, I have been slamming them down every night since. I don’t know what it is about that particular sauce, but something really fucking special happens when mixed with strong coffee, heavy cream and brown sugar. 

I just picked up 6 handles for my BIL who says he can't get them in Phoenix. 

It's weird, some places are hiding Weller, other places have the shelves stocked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/9/2023 at 9:19 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Found this one at the back of the shelf, might be a sign I’ve got too many bottles when one goes unopened since 2018.
Forgot how good single barrel BiB’s can be.
Drank way too easy last night.
bacad31ab6fd80e65dedfd94dd8aa75e.jpg

Bought this as part of a Buffalo Trace package centigrade. It was really smooth. It's on my local shelf for $28. It may become my go to. 

2 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Got a mwnd waiting for me at specs. Worth the price of $155 this year? Anyone had?

It’s a buy every year for me, but I’ll acknowledge they’re getting cute on the MSRP. I remember it being well below $100 a few years back. 

I’ve seen $169.99 before taxes at Total Wine. If MSRP ever goes over $200, I’ll tap out.

I’m pretty excited about the Parker’s Rye. As @USCATX pointed out, it’s probably the closest the thing you can get to Booker’s Rye for less than $3k. How would y’all rank the 2021, 2022, and 2023 Parker’s Heritage releases? 

I talked to my guy some about it, and he said he liked the JD Heritage Rye (2023 Special Release) better. It’s pretty cool they had a tasting for their employees. It’s probably a thank you in advance for the end of year drop bullshit they have to endure soon. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the easiest/cheapest path to Total Wine Grand Reserve status?

I’ve heard about ways to game the system. Buy a case of Spirits Direct wine on a certain day and get 10x points or something. 

I got mine the most rewarding way- to buy wine and liquor I then consumed, without really thinking about points.

But as it happens they are doing 10X points on spirits direct wine and 4X on spirits direct liquor right now.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova