Bourbon

Jimbaround

52 minutes ago, TxTower said:

I’m seeing in the $300 - $500 range online. YMMV

Damn.  Yesterday I bought another 1.75 of one of my daily drinkers—Evan Williams BIB 100 proof.  $27 at Spec's and always available.  I don’t mean to knock people that seek out high end booze, but I’m glad I don’t have to spend $$$ for something I enjoy.  I guess I’m easily satisfied.  

• Like 1

Damn.  Yesterday I bought another 1.75 of one of my daily drinkers—Evan Williams BIB 100 proof.  $27 at Spec's and always available.  I don’t mean to knock people that seek out high end booze, but I’m glad I don’t have to spend $$$ for something I enjoy.  I guess I’m easily satisfied.  

Get an Old Forester 100 proof.
I prefer it over the EW BiB and it’s just as cheap.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Get an Old Forester 100 proof.
I prefer it over the EW BiB and it’s just as cheap.

I will try it and report back.  Thanks for the tip.  I like the OF 1920 and 1910.  The price point of the 1920 and 1910 is about as high as I go unless something just falls into my lap.  There’s just too much good stuff that I like that is readily available.  

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Any way to choose the good from bad when it comes to MM private selects? I’m looking to add some barrel picks and MM private selects to my collection.

They all seem about the same to me and the 101 is a better value.  There’s a lot more fun variation for the dollar in Elijah Craig. 

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Made a MIGHTY fine manhattan with the barrel pick from the Shaker tonight. No regerts…

For the price and what it is I will buy this again.  Decent burn for the proof with some interesting enough notes of tobacco and spices (almost like mulled wine).

The Dice is also good but it better be for $22 higher price tag.  Think it was $58 and $82 at TW.

10 hours ago, Slacks said:

Dont know what this is, so I probably paid too much for it. 

PXL_20240206_144326441.MP.jpg

I got sold one of those at TW once.  ONCE!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I’m not sure how their comp works, but I’d imagine there’s a group bonus for moving certain units. It’s the only explanation I came up with for them aggressively pushing bottles no one has ever heard of. 

My guess is that they get a shit ton of Barton or other distillate bottled under their made up store brand names and then sell it as “hey this is just as good as (insert name here) but costs less”.

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

My guess is that they get a shit ton of Barton or other distillate bottled under their made up store brand names and then sell it as “hey this is just as good as (insert name here) but costs less”.

Looks like Bib & Tucker is Dickel, and Chestnut Farms is Barton. That covers most of Total Wine guy's portfolio. 

Spec's is guilty of this too (Walking Stick), but 99% of the people that walk on to the bourbon aisle on Smith Street know better. If the Russian guy depends on sales bonuses, he's starving. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, deft said:

On that note, how is bellmeade? Specs dude tried to sell me on that my first time at my new close by location and I was a little suspicious. Mostly because I’ve been to bellmead Texas.

Bellmeade isnt trash.  They had several decent offerings at prices higher than they were worth is what I remember.

Then I thought they sold or something?

18 minutes ago, deft said:

On that note, how is bellmeade? Specs dude tried to sell me on that my first time at my new close by location and I was a little suspicious. Mostly because I’ve been to bellmead Texas.

I wouldn't venture outside of single barrel offerings. Before he lost his mind on pricing, Blackwell's sold an awesome 11 year SiB Belle Meade. 

I didn't finish my bottle of Belle Meade Cask Strength. A lot of people like it, but it just wasn't for me. 

Spec's is guilty of this too (Walking Stick), but 99% of the people that walk on to the bourbon aisle on Smith Street know better. If the Russian guy depends on sales bonuses, he's starving. 

That guy once tried to convince me that to get the age of a bourbon you added all the ages of the barrels that went into it. “This I.W. Harper 30 years old.”

Me: No it’s not.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3