Bourbon

Jimbaround

it's so ridiculous that the toasted line of michters is so fucking expensive.  i get that it's rare, but that's their fault, not mine.
i still haven't opened my michters toasted barrel strength rye.
it's fucking michters, not dinosaur sperm.

That bottle is pretty cheap MSRP so when you are able to go to a decent bar that charges accordingly that is always a great value pour.

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

143.8 seems...excessive.

39 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

143.8 seems...excessive.

Obligatory I'm thinking: but know how I know you're gay ?

Seriously that sounds damned hot, I've had some moonshine that approaches that level, and it's not my favorite choice.  How do you even keep the flavors in check or even there at all ?

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Obligatory I'm thinking: but know how I know you're gay ?

Seriously that sounds damned hot, I've had some moonshine that approaches that level, and it's not my favorite choice.  How do you even keep the flavors in check or even there at all ?

I'll let y'all know if I nab a bottle. I'll be the guy with the slurred speech and incomprehensible typos. 

• Haha 1

Deb’s apparently got one that was 147 proof but the bottle count was super low. They also made a 6 year single barrel pick at the same time, and they put that on sale today. I assume they aren’t even putting the 147 up for sale.

I know one of the guys on the tasting committee and he said it wasn’t great. He greatly preferred the 6 year, which I picked up this afternoon and am sipping on now. It’s really damn good.

I know people are curious about the high proof stuff, but I think there is a law of diminishing returns with that. To each their own and everything, but that’s not something I’m interested in chasing.

21 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Deb’s apparently got one that was 147 proof but the bottle count was super low. They also made a 6 year single barrel pick at the same time, and they put that on sale today. I assume they aren’t even putting the 147 up for sale.

I know one of the guys on the tasting committee and he said it wasn’t great. He greatly preferred the 6 year, which I picked up this afternoon and am sipping on now. It’s really damn good.

I know people are curious about the high proof stuff, but I think there is a law of diminishing returns with that. To each their own and everything, but that’s not something I’m interested in chasing.

If it's just a hot shot, no thanks... I need flavor......great flavor....

26 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Obviously 147 is crazy, but what do you consider a high proof? 

i consider anything over 110 to be "high proof" and anything over 135 would probably be "too high" for me.  i own a few bottles in the 130-135 range.

regardless, i can't drink anything over 120 as my first drink of the night.  i need to warm my palate up with something in the 90-105 range in order for me to enjoy the high proofer as a 2nd drink.  i call it my opener.

several good examples of openers: blanton's, 1910, bt kosher wheat, eagle rare, michter's bourbon, 4r sbs, chicken cock. 

*i would include elmer or w12 or hancock, but i was trying to stick to "gettable" bottles for my list.

• Like 1

The Texas bourbons are always going to have the insanely high proofs because of the hot summers. 

In my opinion, what’s in the bottle is what matters. Bourbon can be great between 86 proof and 135-140 proof. I would go under 86 and I wouldn’t go over 140. That said, I think the sweet spot is between 107 and 130. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i consider anything over 110 to be "high proof" and anything over 135 would probably be "too high" for me.  i own a few bottles in the 130-135 range.

regardless, i can't drink anything over 120 as my first drink of the night.  i need to warm my palate up with something in the 90-105 range in order for me to enjoy the high proofer as a 2nd drink.  i call it my opener.

several good examples of openers: blanton's, 1910, bt kosher wheat, eagle rare, michter's bourbon, 4r sbs, chicken cock. 

*i would include elmer or w12 or hancock, but i was trying to stick to "gettable" bottles for my list.

I like an 80-93 proof, but Rare Breed at 116 is as smooth as many lesser octane pours. A little ice sliver pushes the alcohol out of the way IMO.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

Got my first OF barrel strength single barrel from a local group and I have to say I’m not in love.  Hot, lots of young grain and lacking sweetness.  It might even have a little of that acrid, bitter oak note you get out of Texas bourbon. 

Bummer, it seems like it's a hit or miss barrel pick. I really enjoyed the first pours of my OF Barrel Strength. 

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I like an 80-93 proof, but Rare Breed at 116 is as smooth as many lesser octane pours. A little ice sliver pushes the alcohol out of the way IMO.

90-110 = My wheelhouse

110-120 = Depends on the bottle

120-130 = Too hot for neat for me. 

130-140 = Rubbing alcohol 

140-150 = clowns

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

90-110 = My wheelhouse

110-120 = Depends on the bottle

120-130 = Too hot for neat for me. 

130-140 = Rubbing alcohol 

140-150 = clowns

80-89 = meh 

90-99 = ok, no problem

100-109 = sounds good 

110-124 = YESSIR 

125-135 = depends on the bottle, but absolutely up for it 

Never tried anything above 135. 

Always drinking neat when deciding if i like it or not. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Proofs are always interesting.
I was recently comparing MM 101 to 4R SBS. MM feels really hot while 4R does not, yet 4R is higher proofed. OWA doesn’t feel hot to me either and it’s 107.
I may have to try the warm ups as mentioned above and see if that changes things.

That's all about the quality of the distillery master in my opinion.  I've said this here many times, but Rare Breed is 116, and it's a damned smooth pour with just a small cube to push the alcohol back.  Lots of flavor, and nose.  A couple 3 finger pours will set you straight for a while. 

I had to run to Spec's today so I thought I would try some Buffalo Trace.  I've heard it mentioned here a lot so I though what the hell?  It's pretty good but not great.  I'll probably have a glass of Basil Hayden Rye a friend of mine got me afterwards before ending the night with a few Woodford's.  

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I had to run to Spec's today so I thought I would try some Buffalo Trace.  I've heard it mentioned here a lot so I though what the hell?  It's pretty good but not great.  I'll probably have a glass of Basil Hayden Rye a friend of mine got me afterwards before ending the night with a few Woodford's.  

Buffalo Trace is one of those bourbons ($26 retail) that has some mystical, you never find it on the shelf quality. Yes, it's OK, it's good, but it ain't great for the hype that seems to surround it for so many.  

I think it's the bottle, it's a really pretty label without being over the top look at me, but it doesn't make the bourbon taste any better.  I'd rather spend $6 more, and get something that really does get the taste buds going.

• Like 1

Some Buffalo trace single barrels can be great and are a complete steal at around 25 bucks usually. All depends on the pick though. Regular bt is just a good value since it's between 22-26 at stores and always available (around me at least).

I have 11 different BT SP’s and am constantly on the hunt for more. Those, OWA and 1792 FP are the 3 sp’s I absolutely can not pass up. I’ve yet to have a bad pick of any of those three.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
1 hour ago, Eggo said:
Neat grab. 
20210203_133504.thumb.jpg.fc520769ff26b505044073de3cff990f.jpg

You buy that online or is there a good spirits store near you? That's a smallish chain near me that gouges the fuck out of people.

Got it in a fireball from a guy who travels to CO often. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Reason 1a why I’m ready for this Corona nonsense to be over with is it’s fucking with my vacation travels. Reason 1b is it’s fucking with my work travels to CO. I have never come home empty handed from a trip to the Pueblo/Sorings/Denver.

We almost moved to Pueblo last year and do not recommend, but I guess I should have snooped around a bit. 

2 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
1 hour ago, Eggo said:
Got it in a fireball from a guy who travels to CO often. 

Ah, it looks exactly like the good spirits logo from northern Kentucky. Carry on

Well, honestly, it might be. There's an awful lot of cross pollination that occurs through the channels and I'm sure folks on the east coast have no idea where all these weird rabbit logos came from on their SPs. 

We almost moved to Pueblo last year and do not recommend, but I guess I should have snooped around a bit. 

Let me be clear, I go there for work and look forward to the bourbon hunting and beer at The Shamrock Irish Pub. Never in a million years would I consider living there or going there in general for any other reason besides work.

Let me be clear, I go there for work and look forward to the bourbon hunting and beer at The Shamrock Irish Pub. Never in a million years would I consider living there or going there in general for any other reason besides work.