Bourbon

Jimbaround

finally made it to wally's sm today to meet the guy i've heard about and spoken to on the phone.  we talked bourbon for a while, and he was telling me about his balcones cask strength store pick (68.9 abv) and then he went in the back and brought out a glencairn for me to sample.  it was 10:09am but i guess it's after 5pm in eastern europe probably.  couldn't say no to that, and i actually liked the sips.

also scooped their mmps (which has a vastly different breakdown than mine) and their eagle rare store pick (not pictured), which i already have, but wanted to look like a big spender in front of my new friend, so it's always smart to add a $30 bottle.

and then i swung by pavilions (my grocery chain) in sm and snagged their last bt kosher rye my man sherman had stashed away for me.  not a bad little wed morning.

image.thumb.png.b14c45a340a87dc4613ebf8e47a8b086.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Well, honestly, it might be. There's an awful lot of cross pollination that occurs through the channels and I'm sure folks on the east coast have no idea where all these weird rabbit logos came from on their SPs. 

Yeah I bet it is from the nky stores. I dislike those fucks. Guarantee that bottle came from the store in a "basket" with 2 cheap shelf turds for at least 400 bucks. And people buy them immediately here. 

Also herbie, loud and clear my man! 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Help me decide what to drink this weekend: 

1) Stagg Jr (Spring 2020 release, 130.2 proof) 

2) Blanton's Store Pick 

3) Hancock's 

4) Prideful Goat

5) Four Roses SiB Barrel Strength Store Pick (OESV or OESQ) 

Damn, I’m jealous of you snagging some of that Prideful Goat. I hear it’s awesome, but unfortunately none of it made its way to SA. 

After that I’d go Stagg Jr batch 14. I haven’t opened mine yet, but I’ve heard it’s great. 

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Damn, I’m jealous of you snagging some of that Prideful Goat. I hear it’s awesome, but unfortunately none of it made its way to SA. 

After that I’d go Stagg Jr batch 14. I haven’t opened mine yet, but I’ve heard it’s great. 

I'll probably go with the Stagg Jr. 

Prideful Goat gets kicked back a couple weeks. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Help me decide what to drink this weekend: 

1) Stagg Jr (Spring 2020 release, 130.2 proof) 

2) Blanton's Store Pick 

3) Hancock's 

4) Prideful Goat

5) Four Roses SiB Barrel Strength Store Pick (OESV or OESQ) 

Yes.

(EDIT:  Goddammit, Rich.)

Edited by Carl Spackler

Excited to try this Peerless. It’s a Bourbon Hounds of Houston barrel pick and age is a little over 5 years (I think most Peerless are closer to 3 years).

6d32baecdb3a926fead245517e63d897.jpg

This bottle was $85 plus tax. Total Wine’s store pick is $112.99 (main reason I’ve never purchased it). That's an insane gap in price. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Wanted to add I've seen some annoying price discrepancies regarding Total Wine.

- They recently had a BT store pick 750ml for 29.99. I picked up a BT store pick 1L for 28.99 shortly after at a family owned liquor store.  I got a 1.75L BT Spec's pick for like $42 a few months ago. 

- TW's Old Forester Single Barrel 100 Proof store pick is $53.99. It's 47.99 at Goody Goody. 

- Then the insane difference between Peerless store picks. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

d9008e54446480daf94a403988f18e25.jpg

You may recall I stumbled across a couple of 76/77 Gold Vein Weller at the grandmother-in-law’s house over Thanksgiving. Unfortunately we lost her about a week ago. MIL found another liquor cabinet and asked me to come take whatever or dispose of what’s left. Based on the bottle/label design and date of the gifting (wedding), I’ve narrowed it down to ‘46-‘51. When you’re shifting through the cabinet and see a little felt box in the back, is it possible to not say “What’s in the BOX??” out loud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yep, Buffalo Trace has Stagg Jr dialed in. Definitely fixed the hot, cough syrup issues from previous releases. Batch 14 is damned good. I wish I had two. 

I have 15 and it’s incredible. Should be a buy on site if any of you guys are lucky enough to come across one.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I have 15 and it’s incredible. Should be a buy on site if any of you guys are lucky enough to come across one.

My name got pulled and I can choose from Stagg Jr, Blantons SP, and BT Kosher Rye.  I have Blantons so I should go for the Stagg Jr right?

My name got pulled and I can choose from Stagg Jr, Blantons SP, and BT Kosher Rye.  I have Blantons so I should go for the Stagg Jr right?

Yes. TBH, you should go for Stagg Jr regardless. Blanton’s can’t hold a candle to it, unless we’re talking about SFTB.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Which batch is the one to stay away from?  13?

The only one(s) to avoid are the very early ones that you’re not going to find anyway.

12-15 are all highly regarded. 12 and 15 are standouts. I’ve had 13, which is also very good.

Batch numbers are not on the bottle. You have to go by the proof to know what batch it is.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The only one(s) to avoid are the very early ones that you’re not going to find anyway.

12-15 are all highly regarded. 12 and 15 are standouts. I’ve had 13, which is also very good.

Batch numbers are not on the bottle. You have to go by the proof to know what batch it is.

I believe the proof is 130.2.  

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Austin Dead Liver Society is the only group I will buy picks from sight unseen and no matter what the pick. HBS has almost reached that status for me.

Speaking of HBS I’m drinking their L’Encantada XO Armagnac tonight.  It’s just ok, nowhere near as good as some single barrels I’ve had. 

Buffalo Trace is one of those bourbons ($26 retail) that has some mystical, you never find it on the shelf quality. Yes, it's OK, it's good, but it ain't great for the hype that seems to surround it for so many.  
I think it's the bottle, it's a really pretty label without being over the top look at me, but it doesn't make the bourbon taste any better.  I'd rather spend $6 more, and get something that really does get the taste buds going.
BT is the Starbucks of bourbon. It's consistent and you know what to expect.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RichUT said:

Shhh I have a 6 and a 7 that I'm trying to unload. 

I don’t know anything about the batches between 2-12 personally. I bought the very first batch and struggled to finish it. I wrote it off based on that and then started hearing how much better it had gotten online.

I can’t imagine trading or selling 6 or 7 would be hard with all the BT hysteria out there. They go for $150+ on Unicorn Auctions no matter the batch number.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1