Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Saw Maker’s staves today.  So it’s a get?   

Send a pic. bw and I were discussing a Spec’s pick. Basically instead of releasing a Maker’s 46 Cask Strength, Spec’s released a Maker’s Private Barrel Select that was all Maker’s 46 staves, 10 staves. They then upcharged everybody about $15 for the privilege. It might be better than the special release, but then again it might not be better.

Little Book 4 is definitely the Beam flavor profile. It’s not the hot peanut bomb of it’s cheaper relatives, but it’s there in the background. 

Pretty good, but Little Boom 3 beats the doors off of it. I would suggest trying it at a bar so you can say you’ve tried Booker’s Rye (sort of). 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any intel on Uncle Nearest. Had a guy tell me I'd like the Uncle Nearest if I liked the Rare Breed I was picking off the shelf.  At $96 a bottle I'd better fucking love it.  The RB was on sale for $46.

We started talking about never seeing Weller in the wild in Va. and the store clerk said try Blade and Bow, it's a Weller product.  I've seen Blade and Bow, but didn't know it was a Weller product.  What's the word on that potential nice little find.

Great store pick up by the way: Eagle Rare, Rare Breed, OF1910 & 1920, and a bottle of buffalo Trace for a friend.  It was a good site visit Day.

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Any intel on Uncle Nearest. Had a guy tell me I'd like the Uncle Nearest if I liked Rare Breed I was picking off the shelf.  At $96 a bottle I'd better fucking love it.  The RB was on sale for $46.
We started talking about never seeing Weller in the wild in Va. and the store clerk said try Blade and Bow, it's a Weller product.  I've seen Blade and Bow, but didn't know it was a Weller product.  What's the word on that potential nice little find.
Great store pick up by the way: Eagle Rare, Rare Breed, OF1910 & 1920, and a bottle of buffalo Trace for a friend.  It was a good site visit Day.
Unknown.jpeg.481e0b076ef134ae421c8057e5e9d7a6.jpeg

Blade and Bow is NOT a Weller product.
It’s produced at the Old Stitzel-Weller distillery but it’s not Stitzel or Weller bourbon.
They are just relying on the name for marketing purposes.
I didn’t care for it for what they charge.
It wasn’t bad, but there are tons of better bottles out there at the same price point.

I haven’t had Uncle Nearest yet.
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2021 at 6:25 PM, BigDHornfan said:

84b0db57d2877847d14850c3683d70c2.jpg

Been wanting this one for a loooong time.
Oh my,
The nose on this is quite extraordinary!
Ton of wood and leather for days with some tobacco notes as well.
Palate reminds me of apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but somehow ends up with a chocolate note at the end.
Finishes much longer than I expected for a 90 proofer.
This is outstanding!
I am a die hard Woodford Batch Proof fan but this takes the cake.
This bottle is special.

Goddamn...that looks delicious.

On 1/21/2021 at 6:25 PM, BigDHornfan said:

84b0db57d2877847d14850c3683d70c2.jpg

Been wanting this one for a loooong time.
Oh my,
The nose on this is quite extraordinary!
Ton of wood and leather for days with some tobacco notes as well.
Palate reminds me of apple pie with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream but somehow ends up with a chocolate note at the end.
Finishes much longer than I expected for a 90 proofer.
This is outstanding!
I am a die hard Woodford Batch Proof fan but this takes the cake.
This bottle is special.

Guess im keeping my bottle 

The Friendswood Spec’s was a bust. Really I was looking for an excuse to swing by NASA And Whiskey Cake, so no big deal. 

I’m sipping some 2020 Handy right now. It’s pretty tasty, but not as good the 2017. I’ll pass on it for $600 a bottle. 

Sorry on 528. I try to stay below $100 but if it is we something like that I’ll let y’all know earlier.

Just now, stork642 said:

Very nice.  Where did you track it down?

My wife actually found a bottle online at one of the big box stores. I was shocked she able to check out and pick it up.

I’m sure it’s a lovely town, but I’m glad I didn’t have to drive 450 miles round trip to Longview. 

On to the Bardstown Discovery 4 hunt. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Any intel on Uncle Nearest. Had a guy tell me I'd like the Uncle Nearest if I liked the Rare Breed I was picking off the shelf.  At $96 a bottle I'd better fucking love it.  The RB was on sale for $46.
Unknown.jpeg.481e0b076ef134ae421c8057e5e9d7a6.jpeg

$96 is a ridiculous price for UN 1856. That said I had it at a neighbor’s and I liked it. Very smooth.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had a sample of Uncle Nearest once. It was whatever version is considered the better one. It was fine enough at first, but finished with a heavy mineral/vitamin note that left me wanting to drink almost anything to get rid of that taste. No chance in hell I’m drinking that shit again.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

blade and bow is not weller, i'm not even sure it's wheated.  it's made in the old stiztel-weller distillery but i think by bernheim or bulleit.  i've heard tommy bulliet sits in pappy's old office.  it's worth trying, but not notable.  i would continue to look for the weller 12 if i were you.

8 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

blade and bow is not weller, i'm not even sure it's wheated.  it's made in the old stiztel-weller distillery but i think by bernheim or bulleit.  i've heard tommy bulliet sits in pappy's old office.  it's worth trying, but not notable.  i would continue to look for the weller 12 if i were you.

Thanks, the struggle is real....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks, the struggle is real....

yes, but worth it.  that and blantons might be the two best bourbons on the market.  i buy both whenever i see them no matter how many i have on hand.  if all i drink is weller 12 and blantons for the rest of my life i'll die a happy man.

• Hook 'Em 1