Bourbon

Jimbaround

Sorry to disappoint you and my wife, but I survived the nights shenanigans relatively unscathed. My liver on the other hand....$5 cat bombs at Nallen’s Irish Pub were not the best decision I made yesterday. Not the worst either, so I’ve got that going for me which is nice

giphy.gif
Oh wait, that’s me.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Sorry to disappoint you and my wife, but I survived the nights shenanigans relatively unscathed. My liver on the other hand....$5 cat bombs at Nallen’s Irish Pub were not the best decision I made yesterday. Not the worst either, so I’ve got that going for me which is nice

Well played...car bombs are always a double edged sword!

On 12/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, Hank Kingsley said:

9a20ac6a0b8c7f670d8bc937aa9f8231.jpg

This Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye just dropped in Houston this week. Limit 1 at a Total Wine but you can buy multiples at Spec’s.

Opened last night. It’s fucking great. I don’t think a ton of bottles will be released, but right now it’s under the radar and on the shelf.

$60. The bottle itself looks cheap and is a screwtop. But if you want an excellent cask strength rye, grab it now while you can. Word will get out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pissed I haven't been able to find a JD BP Rye, but this Alberta Cask Strength is one hell of a consolation prize. Drinking it again tonight. This rye fucks. Get it. 

Interesting blind tasting kit I got from a local place, too bad it ended up being makers mark, bulleit rye, basil Hayden, and woodford reserve.

It was fun trying to guess though. Amazing how much the basil Hayden sucked compared to even the other 35b788a3a52aaaeaa68c542a7ed99e104.jpg

What a lineup. Like finding out your wife is on the other side of the gloryhole. “Well, that was fun...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Man, there is a serious dill nose/palate on Willett 4 year Rye. I can understand if people are turned off by it, but dill is big in Persian rice and it hits the spot for me. (I'm pretty wasted)

I’m not willing to bury it, because of their history and I haven’t had the pleasure Willett Family Single Barrel, but the dill funk is definitely a thing. 

Different notes shine through for each, but I don’t quite understand how anyone can hate on that Rye. It’s solid and the FR is delicious!

Will say, this year’s Penny’s Proof from Sagamore is nipping at its heels as a 3YO. Lordy that’s fine stuff for such a young batch.

Also, [mention]BigDHornfan [/mention] this Redwood is miiiiiiighty fine. Biggest nose on a 12YO I’ve had in a minute.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not willing to bury it, because of their history and I haven’t had the pleasure Willett Family Single Barrel, but the dill funk is definitely a thing. 

No doubt. Still has the herbal tea finish that I love with most ryes, but the dill is strong.  The only rye where I really notice it.  It makes sense that it's a love or hate it pour for people. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

28 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Man, there is a serious dill nose/palate on Willett 4 year Rye. I can understand if people are turned off by it, but dill is big in Persian rice and it hits the spot for me. (I'm pretty wasted)

Thank you for this review.  I hate pickles, so you just saved me some money.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What’s the best bottle you’ve been recommended by a store employee before? 

In 2016, a TL guy recommended me Old Scout Single Barrel. I was green and didn’t know shit. 

Total Wine 1792 Full Proof pick in 2018. 

Not the most popular store on here, but every Spec’s pick is pretty good. Their Russell’s Reserve SiB absolutely abuses the Village Liquor picks. 

I haven’t had a bad Oak Liquor Cabinet pick, but it’s been a minute. 

NASA Liquor deserves an honorable mention because I know who’s picking most of their stuff. This person knows their stuff. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 3

How did the Cornerstone Rye hold up against the KY Owl? 

But the Cornerstone wasn’t far behind the KO

That poor RBR is a great bottle but was a little out of its league.

If you told me the JD was 2020 Handy I would believe you. It’s that good.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, huge said:

If you told me the JD was 2020 Handy I would believe you. It’s that good.

I haven’t done any side x side but by itself I thought the JD was more rare breed rye than THH.  Then I traded one of my three away for a B520 plus $40 and felt like I got the better end. 

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm probably going to sound stupid for asking this but I read a lot of comments talking about secondary markets. Where are you going to buy some of these hard to find bottles?

Usually it’s through local groups on Facebook and people work out cash deals or trades and then meet up in town. There are also national groups under the same premise and then just ship the bottles to each other.

A couple weeks ago I traded a bottle of Jack Daniels Barrel Proof Rye (a backup I had) to a guy in New Orleans for a Stagg Jr. (batch 14).  We just handled our own shipping and I had my Stagg Jr in a few days. 

Late Christmas presents...to me.

Have not been able to find Weller at all locally in AMA.  Went to LBK yesterday and Specs had like 30 bottles on the shelf. It has been 26-27 years since I have had it, as my boss during my job in college would give me a handle of it every Christmas.  I guess that duration is for no other reason than I haven't really sought it out out until recently.

Had a friend recommend the Rowan's Creek and saw the Noah's Mill, also by Willett.

bourbonyum.jpg

1 minute ago, Ag with kids said:

Picked up a couple bottles of Blanton's SFTB over the holidays.  Thinking I should have bought more now...

Definitely going to drink one, but not sure if I drink the other or do this selling on the "secondary market" thing you folks opine about...

IMG_0295.jpg

A personal favorite of mine. I paid way too much to buy one from the UK, but damn it was worth every pound.