Bourbon

Jimbaround

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

guy at my corner store who “never really gets anything but is happy to call me if he does” got his 2nd allocated bottle in 3 weeks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c97fd9e0fddf9c0dc60ea565100fcb02.jpeg

Sawing it at a store the other day and they wanted $126.  I shook my head and walked out.  I refuse to buy anything from stores that jack their prices up.  

55 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Sawing it at a store the other day and they wanted $126.  I shook my head and walked out.  I refuse to buy anything from stores that jack their prices up.  

retail is $75-$80. 

i rarely see it here and when i do it’s $150+. not like it’s small batch which i can get at $39.99. 

standard markup from a mom and pop liquor store is 10-20%. that’s not “full secondary” by any stretch. $126 is high but not offensive. 

if you want a small deal, they’ll usually waive the tax if you ask. that’s what this guy does, and did for the stagg, jr for $60. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

retail is $75-$80. 

i rarely see it here and when i do it’s $150+. not like it’s small batch which i can get at $39.99. 

standard markup from a mom and pop liquor store is 10-20%. that’s not “full secondary” by any stretch. $126 is high but not offensive. 

if you want a small deal, they’ll usually waive the tax if you ask. that’s what this guy does, and did for the stagg, jr for $60. 

I know what you mean it certainly wasn’t offensive for sure but I’ve found a couple of stores that get me ER, Blantons, EHT etc (when they have it) with no markup so I make it a point to only buy from them.  I don’t blame the stores for doing it but I’m not going to give them my business.  

24 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I know what you mean it certainly wasn’t offensive for sure but I’ve found a couple of stores that get me ER, Blantons, EHT etc (when they have it) with no markup so I make it a point to only buy from them.  I don’t blame the stores for doing it but I’m not going to give them my business.  

that’s what i can get from k&l and my grocery stores, but with this hookup i feel like i need to play the game. he’s close to retail and i want to make sure i get the first call for every bottle. 

the next time it could be elmer or rock hill or one of the scarce eht bottles. 

3 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Swung by Debs today and picked up the Bardstown Discovery Series 3 for $140. Ive heard great things about it, so I’m excited to give it a try. Tough to go wrong with high age MGP. 

I wonder what Kentucky source they are using? Their own? 

Bardstown Bourbon Discovery Series #3  – The third edition in the Discovery Series line is somewhat less ambitious than the inaugural release with just three bourbons in the blend (42% 10 year old Kentucky, 32% 13 year old Kentucky, and 45% 13 year old Indiana). All use rye in the mashbill, although the exact proportion ranges from 12% to 21%. The nose on this bourbon is sultry with bold wood notes: incense and old carpets, hazelnuts and dark chocolate. A bit of orange zest adds some welcome brightness to contrast the intensity of the other aromas. On the palate, there’s a nice balance of brighter, sweet citrus, vanilla bean, and savory baking spice. The citrus, juicy and clove-studded character keeps things oily and rich and carries through into the long finish which sees classic toffee and caramel notes kissed with a baked orange note. Even better than the inaugural release. 110 proof

These stores are becoming rare 

Which is why I spend my money there - Places like Total Wine are purely about mid-tier and new curiosities.

Outside of the place down the road where I can routinely find BT for $23 and ER for $30, I shop almost exclusively at two privately owned stores.

1 - Mom and pop that does big volume and gives me BTAC at least once a year (2500-3k yearly spend)
2 - Fine wine shop owned by the city‘s second biggest restauranteurs where I can now get everything but god-tier simply by asking (1k yearly spend)

Next year should be interesting as I have the bar mostly built out and it’s gonna take me a decent clip to move through this hooch... will likely lean on #1 as that’s where we buy the bulk of our daily drinker wine.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Which is why I spend my money there - Places like Total Wine are purely about mid-tier and new curiosities.

Outside of the place down the road where I can routinely find BT for $23 and ER for $30, I shop almost exclusively at two privately owned stores.

1 - Mom and pop that does big volume and gives me BTAC at least once a year (2500-3k yearly spend)
2 - Fine wine shop owned by the city‘s second biggest restauranteurs where I can now get everything but god-tier simply by asking (1k yearly spend)

Next year should be interesting as I have the bar mostly built out and it’s gonna take me a decent clip to move through this hooch... will likely lean on #1 as that’s where we buy the bulk of our daily drinker wine.
Jesus fuck I'm jealous you get btac for 200 per month spending. I spend more than that at a few different local places now after my main one got bought out and don't get a second look. You have to spend at least a grand a month to even register as a priority customer here. Or throw some big ass parties to get enough "points" in order to buy something for retail.

I'm also drunk and disgruntled from the sooners beating Iowa state today, so that doesn't help.
  • Like 1

Ran to specs Smith tonight  and found these all hanging out in the middle of the main aisle.  Wife grabbed that tequila.  I don't know anything about tequila, but it was one per.
2ED1ABBF-A0B5-4433-B18F-076EBA1CEFAC.thumb.jpeg.b8cb658924228b6f3fedc100274e4697.jpeg

DJ 1942 tastes Like vanilla liqueur that has been aged in tequila barrels

It had gotten scarce during COVID. Apparently they shut down production or some shit.

It’s flashy and expensive but I have to admit it’s tasty and interesting.
  • Like 1

I've really narrowed my purchasing lately, and I'm convinced that I'm going to have to go secondary.  I don't drink nearly enough bourbon to have the kind of volume I have in my cabinet already.

If anyone has a line on a Weller Single Barrel (the orange label), I'm your huckleberry. Yes, I know what I'm asking.

Aside from that, I'm only buying Eagle Rare or BT Kosher if they're out, and regular BT if I see one to stock up as the daily. I'm tired of the runaround, tbh.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I've really narrowed my purchasing lately, and I'm convinced that I'm going to have to go secondary.  I don't drink nearly enough bourbon to have the kind of volume I have in my cabinet already.

If anyone has a line on a Weller Single Barrel (the orange label), I'm your huckleberry. Yes, I know what I'm asking.

Aside from that, I'm only buying Eagle Rare or BT Kosher if they're out, and regular BT if I see one to stock up as the daily. I'm tired of the runaround, tbh.

I’m kind of getting there. Leaving work and hauling ass across town when they put a box out isn’t my cup of tea. 

That said, I’ll drop everything and haul ass across town for a bottle of the Jack Barrel Proof Rye. 

23 minutes ago, UTeric3232 said:

Soaked some gummy bears for an hour in a 93 proofer.  The bourbon tasted nasty (took on the extra sweetness), but the bears were amazing.  Going to try it with a proof greater than 120 now.

3273CFFB-9F31-4AF0-BF79-1C7F4462DD57.jpeg

Umm............................................................................................................................................n-ne-nevermind.

7 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I narrowed mine some time ago to Early Times Bottled in Bond. I like it, it's cheap and it's available. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If we’re taking quality, available products, I nominate Bowman Single Barrel. A 9-10 year, 100 proof Buffalo Trace product that sits on the shelf. Yes please. 

I’m drinking it right now. 

Haven’t tried that yet.  Thanks for the tip!

13 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Haven’t tried that yet.  Thanks for the tip!

Distilled at Buffalo Trace. Allegedly it’s a Mashbill 1 and 2 hybrid, 1.5:1. Aged in Virginia. I’d described it as a spicer, hotter Eagle Rare. They both share a lot of the same sweet notes. I’ve drank a really funky bottle that had some salt notes. Fredericksburg isn’t far from the ocean. 

I listened to a Bourbon Pursuit episode, and Bowman’s “master distiller” says they 16 year + barrels on site in Virginia. I’d love to try some of that. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

Vacation Sundays kick ass.
As does this Balcones.
Delicious.
8de526d9bf7d21ad7e58ec2bf6fff979.jpg

Did you get a strong wine nose as well?  I’m getting big plum and cherry on it.  

I loved it for the first 30 minutes and then it was just too much.  Too sweet and rich for an all night drink for me.

Did you get a strong wine nose as well?  I’m getting big plum and cherry on it.  

I loved it for the first 30 minutes and then it was just too much.  Too sweet and rich for an all night drink for me.

Not so much the wine, but yes on the plum and cherry.
It is sweet. It does not drink 124 proof at all. Goes down super smooth.
Great finish.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If we’re taking quality, available products, I nominate Bowman Single Barrel. A 9-10 year, 100 proof Buffalo Trace product that sits on the shelf. Yes please. 

I’m drinking it right now. 

I bought and opened the John J. Bowman Single Barrel this week, and fucking loved it. Maybe I said that earlier on this thread, I can't remember. But it's great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Is the new "Very Fine Rare Bourbon" from Woodford tough to find? I've done online searches of inventory and can't find shit. I've had lots of luck finding the master's collection bottles at any big box liquor store but I've noticed this year lots of the special varieties are difficult to find.

It has sold out everywhere instantly and/or didn’t hit front shelves unlike the rest of the the Woodford Master’s series.  Secondary was over $250 but settling in the low $200s. It’s really good and tastes like there’s plenty of 17 y/o in the blend.  I tried it with WT Diamond and Michter’s 10 (‘18) and it topped both.  It probably couldn’t hang with WT 17 Bottled in Bond but it doesn’t suck at all for $119. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

It has sold out everywhere instantly and/or didn’t hit front shelves unlike the rest of the the Woodford Master’s series.  Secondary was over $250 but settling in the low $200s. It’s really good and tastes like there’s plenty of 17 y/o in the blend.  I tried it with WT Diamond and Michter’s 10 (‘18) and it topped both.  It probably couldn’t hang with WT 17 Bottled in Bond but it doesn’t suck at all for $119. 

Damn! Bottled In Bond I can't find either!