Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Yeah, but how do we know if that's really your opinion or r/bourbon? 

I can not taste what I can not buy. It’s a safe assumption that the Jack Barrel Proof Rye is better than the 94 proof version. 

They could price it better, but Jack SiB Rye at 94 proof is plenty tasty. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I cracked the Woodford Master’s Batch 16 last night and have to admit it’s pretty damn good.  Right down the fairway of sweet, oaky bourbon even if it’s pretty low proof.  I’ll do a side by side with a couple other similar options like WT Diamond and W12 and see what comes out on top.  It’s a buy if $119 doesn’t matter to you and you want to try it. 

Oh, and the weird neck poured well and the giant stopper isn’t actually that big. 

8 hours ago, huge said:

Everyone who’s anyone prefers the SH.

But the Calumet isn’t dogshittrash

The SH14 was cheaper at my Spec’s and I think I got the general idea of what small batch 14 year Barton tastes like so I didn’t bother grabbing a Calumet.  The SH14 was a great value this summer in age stated tater bourbon.  

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Turned these:
56a874ea3deb6c81b9aaa8b69931f2ee.jpg
Into this today:
63345e139c7bec5dad1fc1c703faf872.jpg

Pretty good deal IMO considering I got all the Weller’s at retail.

BTAC count this week is 2.
I’m good.

Also picked this up today:
c466d0ca9b3000d564ef4b78f0947ac8.jpg

Crack that Grand Cru and tell us how it is. And yes, trading up is always a good trade.  

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

MWND Act 6 Scene 1 tonight. The one, the only finished rye I’ll drink. Great stuff. Maybe a rum cake as the tasting note. 

If you get a chance, try to High West Double Rye pick from Debs. It’s finished in Syrah barrels.  I’m usually not a big finished rye fan either, but I love Syrah so I wanted to give it a go. Glad I did. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Ok, couple thoughts on the OF150:

1) It tastes WAY hotter than the documented proof
2) Perhaps the heaviest banana note on an OF I’ve tasted, clearly leaning into their reputation
3) Call me crazy, but I pick up a little RC Cola on the nose...

Batch 2 right? I think I lucked out with Barch 3. Supposed to be the most rye forward/unique tasting. 

32 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

If you get a chance, try to High West Double Rye pick from Debs. It’s finished in Syrah barrels.  I’m usually not a big finished rye fan either, but I love Syrah so I wanted to give it a go. Glad I did. 

Spec’s had a pick and I passed. I’m trying to keep the powder dry for Jack Barrel Proof Rye. 

Batch 2 right? I think I lucked out with Barch 3. Supposed to be the most rye forward/unique tasting. 

Yep, part of the reason I was able to get it. My main guy has customers who spend 50k+ per year and they obviously get first dibs but all passed on this bottle. Part of the reason I didn’t walk out the store with his only Woodford Master’s Collection... gotta check with the big cigars first. But I’m next in line, and for spending maybe 3k per year at his shop I can’t complain about that...

Still, I have no regerts with this bottle - The back end really sings and I love the lingering banana. Interested to hear your review of Batch 3!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was fortunate to be able to taste some 1 oz pours of Weller 12, WLW, Stagg, Thomas Handy Rye, and Old Rip Van Winkle recently and found that it just doesn't do it for my pallette to justify the cost and effort to have. All were good but nothing life changing. 

I have found that an old fashioned with a puff of pipe smoke in the weekend evening is one of the best and most relaxing things around. Just had a pipe of a nice fragrant bourbon butter cake pipe tobacco with an old fashioned made with 1 oz Weller SR and 1 oz Angel Envy. Gotta celebrate still being here through all this craziness

Shit, man... ain’t nothing wrong with that approach. This whole deal is about what works for you. Find that and you find happiness.

There’s a lot of overlap in what works for us here simply due to the limited range of palettes our anatomy affords, but if someone tells me they drink Blenheims 6 days a week I won’t bat an eye. You do you...

• Hook 'Em 1

MWND Act 6 Scene 1 tonight. The one, the only finished rye I’ll drink. Great stuff. Maybe a rum cake as the tasting note. 
Opened my Act 8 tonight. Not sure how much i like it. Going to have to try it against 6 and 7. Doesn't seem to have the same spice they have, but that could just be me.

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Was fortunate to be able to taste some 1 oz pours of Weller 12, WLW, Stagg, Thomas Handy Rye, and Old Rip Van Winkle recently and found that it just doesn't do it for my pallette to justify the cost and effort to have. All were good but nothing life changing. 

I have found that an old fashioned with a puff of pipe smoke in the weekend evening is one of the best and most relaxing things around. Just had a pipe of a nice fragrant bourbon butter cake pipe tobacco with an old fashioned made with 1 oz Weller SR and 1 oz Angel Envy. Gotta celebrate still being here through all this craziness

The taste difference between some readily available $50 bourbon and unicorn bourbon is not as much as one would think 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Yep, part of the reason I was able to get it. My main guy has customers who spend 50k+ per year and they obviously get first dibs but all passed on this bottle. Part of the reason I didn’t walk out the store with his only Woodford Master’s Collection... gotta check with the big cigars first. But I’m next in line, and for spending maybe 3k per year at his shop I can’t complain about that...

Still, I have no regerts with this bottle - The back end really sings and I love the lingering banana. Interested to hear your review of Batch 3!

If you get the call on the Woodford your answer should be yes. It’s better than ‘18 M10 bourbon and absolutely blew WT Diamond away.  It would probably get abused by Boone County 12 or Lot B in a real 90 proof showdown, but it’s very good. 

CC8F3DFC-9077-4A9B-8714-89ACF7CCC3D4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Opened my Act 8 tonight. Not sure how much i like it. Going to have to try it against 6 and 7. Doesn't seem to have the same spice they have, but that could just be me.

Hmmm, 8 is all High West distillate. No Barton rye. That could be it. 

I have one bottle of Act 6 left. I might have to tuck that one away. 

• Hook 'Em 1