Bourbon

Jimbaround

Y'all have any friends like this?

Bro: Hey I got lucky this week and got some allocations! A CYPB, EHTBP and a OFBB 21 this week!

Me: cool, you gonna open any of them?

Bro: uhhh dunno.... They sell for about $2300

Me: you gonna buy a pappy with that? (He has always wanted one

Bro: dunno, that's a lot of cash...

This guy doesn't need cash, but flips just about everything he can... It's sad cause I want some of those to try

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Y'all have any friends like this?

Bro: Hey I got lucky this week and got some allocations! A CYPB, EHTBP and a OFBB 21 this week!

Me: cool, you gonna open any of them?

Bro: uhhh dunno.... They sell for about $2300

Me: you gonna buy a pappy with that? (He has always wanted one

Bro: dunno, that's a lot of cash...

This guy doesn't need cash, but flips just about everything he can... It's sad cause I want some of those to try emoji52.png

Im not going to get into the long winded “bourbon is best shared” lecture BS. I’ve heard it myself and laughed at it. It’s his bourbon, he didn’t steal it from anybody, he can do whatever he wants with it. 

That said, I think he’s missing out on some terrific bottles if he’s collecting for the sole purpose of flipping it for Pappy. 

If he likes Pappy so much, can’t get it at MSRP, and money isn’t a big deal he should just buy Pappy on the secondary market. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I have never had a CYPB I cared about. Would rather have W12, Antique or WFP. Hell a lot of BT store picks are just as good.

EHTBP can be incredible, but it depends on the batch. If I got one for retail, I'd open it and take the gamble, then share with friends, but I love drinking socially and hosting blind tastings at the house.

I think the only bottle I won in a lottery or allocation call that I have sold or traded is a 1.75 W12, and I traded it for an Old Fitz 15, which is a bottle I always wanted to have on the shelf. Everything else I have opened, GTS, OFBB, ETL, RHF, Parkers, Handy, Lot B, several Wellers, lots of Blanton's, and I think that's all I won. I don't really get the point of doing all these raffles and spending lots at a single store to get bottles for cash.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I have no idea what the appeal of CYPB is, but it's $50 retail, and about $10-18 a pour at a bar. For $600+ on the secondary, yeah I can see selling/trading it. Would gladly take a GTS or Handy for it

A CYPB just went for $800 (before buyer's premium) last week.  There is some insanity going on in the market right now.  So if you've got something you don't care for but someone else loves why not turn it into cash (assuming you can't find an acceptable trade).

If I had a CYPB I would sell it and buy two Michter's 10s and call it a good day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So probably not using ten of Ryan’s liquor raffle tickets on 

I wouldn’t. It’s a blend of regularly products billed at a premium price. If I recall correctly, this year’s was exceptionally young and unremarkable. Stumbled across a Ch. 1 at Redfish in New Orleans last week and would buy that one all day, not like to find that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree that Little Book 4 and 5 aren’t good or aren’t worth having. I like them all. I loved the spice on 4, and I like all the caramel notes on 5. The variation from year to year is going to mean that the reception varies depending on what people like in a pour.

I’ve only had a single pour of Chapter 1, but I’d rate them 3, 4, 1, 5, 2.

12 hours ago, RichUT said:

I disagree that Little Book 4 and 5 aren’t good or aren’t worth having. I like them all. I loved the spice on 4, and I like all the caramel notes on 5. The variation from year to year is going to mean that the reception varies depending on what people like in a pour.

I’ve only had a single pour of Chapter 1, but I’d rate them 3, 4, 1, 5, 2.

I had 3 last night because I hadn’t dabbled in the LBs for a while.  Man, it did not hold up to Stagg Jr 16 at all. Very flat and peanuty in comparison.  

I had 3 last night because I hadn’t dabbled in the LBs for a while.  Man, it did not hold up to Stagg Jr 16 at all. Very flat and peanuty in comparison.  

I mean, sure? They are apples and oranges. I love variety, so I don’t think about whiskey in that way. Otherwise I’d just say bourbon X is the best and would only buy that.

Little Book 3 is my favorite Beam product behind only Knob Creek 25th Anniversary. 

I only had a pour of Booker’s 30th, but it didn’t blow me away. 

Little Book 4 was OK. The young brown rice bourbon pulls it down. I’ll drink all the aged high proof Beam rye I can find, so I was fine with the retail price. 

LB 5 was a hard pass. It’s just too young, and the 15 year is the same thing Doc Swinson’s. 

Little Book 3 is my favorite Beam product behind only Knob Creek 25th Anniversary. 

I only had a pour of Booker’s 30th, but it didn’t blow me away. 

Little Book 4 was OK. The young brown rice bourbon pulls it down. I’ll drink all the aged high proof Beam rye I can find, so I was fine with the retail price. 

LB 5 was a hard pass. It’s just too young, and the 15 year is the same thing Doc Swinson’s. 

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts on Chapter 5. That’s my take anyway.

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts on Chapter 5. That’s my take anyway.

The 2 year old bourbon had me running. If it's not Still Austin, 2 year old bourbon isn't for me. 

Young Beam is terrible, awful peanut shit. 

1920 + egg nog = pretty, pretty good

I refuse to believe it’s egg nog time yet. I’m excited for it.. I’m just not ready for it. I did follow BigD’s lead and have a premixed one stashed and ready to go from last year though. Never done that before, and it’s genius for when the mood finally hits.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, H_Boogie said:

I refuse to believe it’s egg nog time yet. I’m excited for it.. I’m just not ready for it. I did follow BigD’s lead and have a premixed one stashed and ready to go from last year though. Never done that before, and it’s genius for when the mood finally hits.

Twin Liquors had a case of Pennsylvania Dutch behind the counter. Lady there said she was gonna starting telling people it was allocated, since there were so many requests for it.

penndutch.png.f4f1c047f551ddb8b5abd2f5df90665c.png

• Haha 1

Twin Liquors had a case of Pennsylvania Dutch behind the counter. Lady there said she was gonna starting telling people it was allocated, since there were so many requests for it.

penndutch.png.f4f1c047f551ddb8b5abd2f5df90665c.png

Lol. I was annoyed when i went into a place this week that had Remus Repeal V on the points counter (after being on regular shelf as of 3 weeks ago). This… this makes me laugh.

Speaking of CYPB.  I’ve been debating on selling mine or drinking it.  I’ve never sold a bottle but the secondary market but this one has me torn.  If somehow Texas wins their last two plus their bowl game I will celebrate by opening my CYPB.  I probably still won’t sell it if the don’t win out but I’m trying to make the rest of this season interesting.  

Edited by stork642

3 hours ago, RichUT said:

Fusion 5 = very solid and crushable bourbon.

Discovery 5 = major letdown vs prior releases and overall not worth the money.

Btw, tried the Disco 6 again tonight. Absolute emoji91.png. Maybe the best one of all.

Discovery 6 turned my head a little bit when I tried it. Pretty good.