Bourbon

Jimbaround

So I am a rum drinker and don't know shit about bourbon . Son in law comes over for thanksgiving every year and I usually buy him a bottle. Big bourbon drinker , but not the drunk guy. Looking for a bottle that will be more of a "cool really appreciate it" than a " meh, rolling eyes " bottle 
Past bottles include :
Angels envy
Woodford reserve
Evan Williams single barrel
Gentleman Jacks (yes I know that's a whiskey )
Looking around $50. What does Surly suggest? 

Belle Meade sour mash
OF1910
BT store picks

If you are in Texas and can find Whitmeyers, I love the Bourbon and Rye blend they do. Usually about $42 a bottle.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sometimes if I'm popping into a TW real quick, I'll do a walk down the bourbon aisle and look for the "only one per customer" labels as an easy filter to see if there's anything interesting that day. I could see this getting a few taters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What’s the best Balcones? I went through a bottle of Single Malt a few years ago and it was very good, but I’m more of a bourbon guy. I’m seeing the red label around here a lot lately.

The Wheated Bourbon they release once a year at the distillery. I could take it or leave it with the rest of their lineup. Just not my jam. The Rum might be the second best thing they make. 

The Wheated Bourbon they release once a year at the distillery. I could take it or leave it with the rest of their lineup. Just not my jam. The Rum might be the second best thing they make. 

I had one of their beers while waiting for my Wheated last year when the tasting room was outside in the tent. It was very good. Also, I bought this as well
1f1a69b6810906c2c37345f78d2b5903.jpg

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Sounds like their regular rotation bourbons are a pass then.

I'd say they are "fine". The Pot Still is affordable and easy drinking, yet unremarkable. It's just not what I'm looking for in a bourbon personally. They all have that Balcones "funk", which can be polarizing. 

If you want to put your money behind a Texas made bourbon, Still remains the best bet IMO. I think Treaty Oak's Ghost Hill Bourbon is also pretty solid, especially some of their store picks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

you must have  bought the vip tickets for the pappy or btac tastings.  only one year was i able to try all 10, then they started making you pick one tasting or the other.  you seemed to have had a little from each.

Event staff were walking around leftover BTAC. They were briefly pouring Pappy 20 at a table. 

I just had a VIP ticket. 

23 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Got a buddy that hooked me up with a Bardstown Ferrand (from his friend that owns a liquor store in KY). Also waiting on my Blue Run High Rye bourbon to come in from Seelbach’s. Can’t wait for both to show up. 

Please tell me how you’re ordering Seelbach’a while residing in Texas. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Please tell me how you’re ordering Seelbach’a while residing in Texas. 

A buddy of mine told me about a workaround where you set your order for pickup, but then reach out to their customer service department and they arrange for you to send a shipping label to them and they mail it to you. I ordered my Blue Run thinking I could do this, but when I reached out they said that they can’t do that for Blue Run. But they said since I ordered $300 worth of bourbon they would ship it to me.

• Haha 1