Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

Envy is an ugly thing.  I hate you.  

I almost hate myself.  I’ll probably just trade a couple for batches I don’t have, open one and put one in the collection.

If it makes anybody feel better, they hide damn WSR in the back room with OWA and W12 up here. 

A5E697A7-92F7-41FE-B243-53118EC7051F.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, USCATX said:

I almost hate myself.  I’ll probably just trade a couple for batches I don’t have, open one and put one in the collection.

If it makes anybody feel better, they hide damn WSR in the back room with OWA and W12 up here. 

A5E697A7-92F7-41FE-B243-53118EC7051F.jpeg

All that and your Trojans came back from the dead and put an absolute ass kicking on the former fighting pirates.  Pretty good road trip!

Stagg Jr is out there. If you're willing to push and shove other grown men for bourbon, it can be yours! 

There was quite a bit of drama along those lines in the Dallas area a few weeks ago over just that. From the sounds of it, the store handled it quite poorly as well. I’ll continue to cross my fingers and rely on the random hour chance encounters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

There was quite a bit of drama along those lines in the Dallas area a few weeks ago over just that. From the sounds of it, the store handled it quite poorly as well. I’ll continue to cross my fingers and rely on the random hour chance encounters.

I will say Stagg Jr is the most panic inducing drop. It's the perfect storm of proof hounds/ Buffalo Trace heads/flippers. 

There are a myriad of solutions that the largest liquor store in the state could employ, but why would they? It drives traffic in their stores. 

nothing in particular, they just suck.  TW and GG have started doing things the right way as far as getting allocated bottles out to customers.  They both do raffles but with Spec's it's still the lying game.  It's just old.  I gave up hunting last year and honestly don't miss it at all.  Luckily I had a good thing with a GG manager for years and got pretty much all I ever wanted, so now I can just enjoy what I have and now only buy club picks.  I honestly have way too many bottles,  I give away more than I drink now.  My friends at the cigar lounge I go to love it when I show up.  

• Like 1

The Goody Goody raffle is fun. Buy a Topo Chico, win a George T. Stagg. It has happened before. 

Total has the worst system imaginable. Points + raffle. Spending a lot of money at Total for a chance at winning something sucks. 

I like the Spec's point system because well I've benefited mightily from it. I do dislike the home store element of it. If you shop at the West U Spec's, they have no idea who you are on Kirkwood, and vice versa. I've been told before despite my point total, because I don't shop at this particular store they couldn't sell me a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. 

I once had a Spec's employee tell me with utter disdain I wasn't allowed to buy a bottle of FAE-01 online. Despite the fact that their website approved the transaction. Their customer service was already poor, and continues to decline. The old guard is almost all gone. People you could really talk bourbon with, without some bullshit sales pitch for Dickel. With these folks gone, so are the bourbon hook ups. I'm happy for my guys that they moved on to a better jobs, but I do miss them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Goody Goody raffle is fun. Buy a Topo Chico, win a George T. Stagg. It has happened before. 
Total has the worst system imaginable. Points + raffle. Spending a lot of money at Total for a chance at winning something sucks. 
I like the Spec's point system because well I've benefited mightily from it. I do dislike the home store element of it. If you shop at the West U Spec's, they have no idea who you are on Kirkwood, and vice versa. I've been told before despite my point total, because I don't shop at this particular store they couldn't sell me a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. 
I once had a Spec's employee tell me with utter disdain I wasn't allowed to buy a bottle of FAE-01 online. Despite the fact that their website approved the transaction. Their customer service was already poor, and continues to decline. The old guard is almost all gone. People you could really talk bourbon with, without some bullshit sales pitch for Dickel. With these folks gone, so are the bourbon hook ups. I'm happy for my guys that they moved on to a better jobs, but I do miss them. 

Yea the TW point system is stupid as is Spec’s but at least TW (at least the ones here in DfW) just throws a ton of allocated bottles on the shelf, but it does lead to assholes fighting over it when the stores open. I fucking hate the tater fucks.

I’ve grown tired of the hunt as well. 90% of what I’ve purchased this year has come through my Patreon membership with the Bourbon Junkies YouTube channel. I’ve bought 9-10 of their picks (including Knob Creek, Bulleit, Nulu and Starlight to name a few) with many more on the way.  Every pick has been great and I’m fine with that. 

Sure, I’ll keep an eye out on my trips to stores for the allocated stuff, but my days of waiting outside at 8am are done.  It’s just not worth it when there’s so much high quality juice out available with much less effort. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus. This happened today:

Copied from a FB group

From someone who went to the Stagg Jr B16 drop at Spec's Smith St today.

"I've never been to specs before they opened before but took a chance today. When I got there at 1030 there were prob 5-6 people lined up in some order. Then a little time passed and a couple people jumped the line. Still some sort of order though despite a couple of *******s. Then when they opened the doors everyone from the back started rushing the line and by the time we got to the bourbon aisle *literally within 30 seconds* a cop was yelling…if you don't calm down I'm going to take the bottles away. A couple guys pushed their way to the front like they were expecting boyonce to be performing on stage. The cop got pissed and pulled the cart which had about 4 cases and said that's enough…started walking to the back of the store with everyone in tow. He told everyone to form an orderly line which they did. I was lucky enough to grab an SJR but most weren't. I will say that the two *******s who jumped the line were one of the two. Like I said it was my first time and nobody else said anything so I kept my mouth shut thinking this is normal but if I did it again I would have said something. Idiots ruining it for everyone."

7 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yea the TW point system is stupid as is Spec’s but at least TW (at least the ones here in DfW) just throws a ton of allocated bottles on the shelf, but it does lead to assholes fighting over it when the stores open. I fucking hate the tater fucks.

Spec’s doesn’t put it on the shelves. They put cases in a shopping cart that the unwashed masses battle over. Jack SiB Barrel Strength Rye being the only notable exception. 

If Spec’s puts it out on the floor, 98% chance I’ll never see it. 

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Copied from a FB group

"I've never been to specs before they opened before but took a chance today. When I got there at 1030 there were prob 5-6 people lined up in some order. Then a little time passed and a couple people jumped the line. Still some sort of order though despite a couple of *******s. Then when they opened the doors everyone from the back started rushing the line and by the time we got to the bourbon aisle *literally within 30 seconds* a cop was yelling…if you don't calm down I'm going to take the bottles away. A couple guys pushed their way to the front like they were expecting boyonce to be performing on stage. The cop got pissed and pulled the cart which had about 4 cases and said that's enough…started walking to the back of the store with everyone in tow. He told everyone to form an orderly line which they did. I was lucky enough to grab an SJR but most weren't. I will say that the two *******s who jumped the line were one of the two. Like I said it was my first time and nobody else said anything so I kept my mouth shut thinking this is normal but if I did it again I would have said something. Idiots ruining it for everyone."

F that noise.  My dignity is worth more than $180. 

My dignity isn’t worth a fraction of $180 and I’m still not standing in line for fucking whiskey.

An admin of a local group I’m in is a buddy of mine and asked me a while back why I never come to barrel drops anymore. I told him flatly that I think it’s awesome they’ve done some highly sought after picks, but I’m not giving up my Saturday morning to sit in line for 3-4 hours to get my hands on anything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I was out running errands and went to a shady looking store just to check it out.  They had a pretty solid bourbon selection but the mark-up was insane.  A bottle of Blantons was $199.  I don't really put any effort into "hunting".  But is this par for the course at places you can actually find that.  I just finished off my last Blantons a few weeks ago but fuck that.  Zero chance I was paying that kind of mark up on principle

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

I was out running errands and went to a shady looking store just to check it out.  They had a pretty solid bourbon selection but the mark-up was insane.  A bottle of Blantons was $199.  I don't really put any effort into "hunting".  But is this par for the course at places you can actually find that.  I just finished off my last Blantons a few weeks ago but fuck that.  Zero chance I was paying that kind of mark up on principle

Texas sucks for finding stuff now if you’re here. Only thing worse is North Carolina. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:22 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Copied from a FB group

This shit is why I never bother going to Smith St. 

GG raffle or a lucky visit to TW or WB Liquor are the only chances to get a great allocated bottle outside of relationships and loyalty programs.  At this point it's becoming pointless to hunt at a Spec's. 

32 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This shit is why I never bother going to Smith St. 

GG raffle or a lucky visit to TW or WB Liquor are the only chances to get a great allocated bottle outside of relationships and loyalty programs.  At this point it's becoming pointless to hunt at a Spec's. 

Becoming?!

In the past year I caught a Larceny Barrel Proof that they put out around lunch, and an Antique barrel pick that they inexplicably didn't put out until around closing time. I'm in there once a week and that's it. 

Becoming?!
In the past year I caught a Larceny Barrel Proof that they put out around lunch, and an Antique barrel pick that they inexplicably didn't put out until around closing time. I'm in there once a week and that's it. 

So 1 out of 26 visits you get something “rare”? Seems like a good use of time.
  • Haha 1

What's the Most Expensive Bottle of Bourbon?

From extra-rare Pappy to a bottle dubbed "the best bourbon you'll never drink," these are the most expensive bottles of Kentucky's finest in the land.

Source: https://www.gearpatrol.com/

BY WILL PRICE

September 28, 2021

Bourbon whiskey's reputation as the everyman's drink is well-earned, but there's still plenty of high-end hooch out there. Whether it's age, provenance, rarity or a tornado tearing open a distillery, bourbon collectors of the last decade have driven prices through the roof (more on the tornado later). Historically, it was scotch whisky that attracted the type of person willing to spend thousands of dollars on a single bottle. Today, there are bourbons valued in the tens of thousands, and prices are only rising as the spirit's popularity grows. Excluding extreme vintage and historical bottles sold at auction, our collection of the most expensive bourbon you can buy begins above the Pappy 23-Year Line - or just about $3,500 a bottle.

A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 Year Old

Price: $3,500 - $4,500

Released: Distilled in the spring of 1974, aged or 16 years, then kept on ice until its release in .

What's so special about it? A weird whiskey with a confusing history, A.H. Hirsch Reserve (both gold foil- and blue wax-topped bottles) is one of the most surprising high-value bourbons out there. Its relevance and cost is due in part to ties one Julian Van Winkle, who bottled in the brand in the '80s, and the quality of the spirit. But many attribute its ballooned value to the early-Internet bourbon geeks. The whiskey's provenance and means is the subject of a book by longtime whiskey writer and Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Famer Chuck Cowdery called The Best Bourbon You'll Never Drink.

Michter's 25 Years Old

Price: $5,000 - $7,500

Released: No set schedule.

What's so special about it? Michter's brand history is up there for the richest in the bourbon business. The provenance of the whiskey inside the 25-year-old expression is unknown, as are the mashbill and release schedule. The distillery releases bottles when and only when a barrel of sufficient age meets their criteria (also unknown). Given only three expression have been released since 2008, and each release sees a couple hundred bottles hit shelves (the metaphorical shelf; most will sell privately or in backroom deals), it is highly sought after in the collecting community.

Double Eagle Very Rare

Price: $6,000 - $8,000

Released: First in 2019, annually since.

What's so special about it? At 10 years old and a buttery smooth 90 proof, Buffalo Trace Distillery's standard Eagle Rare offering remains one of the best values in whiskey. Double Eagle Very Rare - a strange if not fitting name - is aged for 20 years and far, far more rare. It also comes in an enormous silver box, and is bottled in a decanter made of pure crystal. Only 200 to 400 bottles are released a year.

O.F.C. Vintages

Price: $3,000 - $10,000

Released: Intermittently.

What's so special about it? Early releases were extremely limited and were not so much "releases" as they were Buffalo Trace charity bombs. The distillery gifted and auctioned bottles to non-profits, raising north of $1 million in the process. More recent releases have been made available to the public, but given the age of some of the bourbons released in the collection - some north of 30 years old - they will always be unobtainable to most whiskey drinkers. The name O.F.C. is an abbreviation of Old Fire Copper, which is what the distillery that would eventually become Buffalo Trace was called in the middle of the 19th century.

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving

Price: $10,000 - $14,000

Released: 2011.

What's so special about it? All E.H. Taylor limited releases are expensive and hard to find, but two bottles are far more valuable than the others. Tornado Surviving bourbon got its name after a storm tore Buffalo Trace's historic Warehouse C to shreds back in 2006. Ninety-three barrels were exposed to open Kentucky weather for months while repairs were made to the building, and those barrels were married together, bottled and sold in 2011. The whiskey inside is the stuff of legends.

The Last Drop (Buffalo Trace, 1980)

Price: $10,000 - $15,000

Released: 2020.

What's so special about it? Less than 250 bottles available worldwide, the 40-year-old whiskey (20 years in the barrel, 20 patiently waiting in steel tanks) is a time capsule. The whiskey was distilled at George T. Stagg Distillery by Gary Gayheart, the teacher of Buffalo Trace Distillery's Harlen Wheatley. The Stagg distillery was renamed Buffalo Trace Distillery in 1999. The whiskeys from this release show us that exceptional bourbon was made even when the market for it was not there.

Willett Family Estate Single Barrels

Price: $1,000 - $20,000

What's so special about it? Willett has a long history in bourbon, and its Family Estate single barrels are among the most coveted prizes in whiskeydom. They're all sourced barrels bought up from other distilleries and they vary dramatically in proof, age and price. Though there are exceptions, typically the older the Willett the higher the price, and some of the 20-plus-year-old bottlings have sold for more than $20,000 a pop.

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash

Price: $17,000 - $20,000

What's so special about it? The first E.H. Taylor limited release is the most valuable by some distance. The whiskey was made using the eponymous "old-fashioned sour mash" technique used by the brand's namesake, Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr., in the late 19th century. The whiskey inside was distilled in 2002 and matured for 9 years before being bottled and hitting shelves in 2011.

Old Rip Van Winkle 25 Years Old

Price: $20,000 - $35,000

Released: 2017.

What's so special about it? A super-rare, one-off release within the most famous collection of bourbon the world over that was made at a historic (and shuttered) distillery. Distilled and barreled in 1989 at the famed Stitzel-Weller plant, Pappy 25-year was moved out of barrels and into steel tanks for a few years before bottling to prevent over-oaking the whiskey. Only 710 bottles were made.

2 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

What's the Most Expensive Bottle of Bourbon?

From extra-rare Pappy to a bottle dubbed "the best bourbon you'll never drink," these are the most expensive bottles of Kentucky's finest in the land.

Source: https://www.gearpatrol.com/

BY WILL PRICE

September 28, 2021

Bourbon whiskey's reputation as the everyman's drink is well-earned, but there's still plenty of high-end hooch out there. Whether it's age, provenance, rarity or a tornado tearing open a distillery, bourbon collectors of the last decade have driven prices through the roof (more on the tornado later). Historically, it was scotch whisky that attracted the type of person willing to spend thousands of dollars on a single bottle. Today, there are bourbons valued in the tens of thousands, and prices are only rising as the spirit's popularity grows. Excluding extreme vintage and historical bottles sold at auction, our collection of the most expensive bourbon you can buy begins above the Pappy 23-Year Line - or just about $3,500 a bottle.

A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 Year Old

Price: $3,500 - $4,500

Released: Distilled in the spring of 1974, aged or 16 years, then kept on ice until its release in .

What's so special about it? A weird whiskey with a confusing history, A.H. Hirsch Reserve (both gold foil- and blue wax-topped bottles) is one of the most surprising high-value bourbons out there. Its relevance and cost is due in part to ties one Julian Van Winkle, who bottled in the brand in the '80s, and the quality of the spirit. But many attribute its ballooned value to the early-Internet bourbon geeks. The whiskey's provenance and means is the subject of a book by longtime whiskey writer and Kentucky Bourbon Hall of Famer Chuck Cowdery called The Best Bourbon You'll Never Drink.

Michter's 25 Years Old

Price: $5,000 - $7,500

Released: No set schedule.

What's so special about it? Michter's brand history is up there for the richest in the bourbon business. The provenance of the whiskey inside the 25-year-old expression is unknown, as are the mashbill and release schedule. The distillery releases bottles when and only when a barrel of sufficient age meets their criteria (also unknown). Given only three expression have been released since 2008, and each release sees a couple hundred bottles hit shelves (the metaphorical shelf; most will sell privately or in backroom deals), it is highly sought after in the collecting community.

Double Eagle Very Rare

Price: $6,000 - $8,000

Released: First in 2019, annually since.

What's so special about it? At 10 years old and a buttery smooth 90 proof, Buffalo Trace Distillery's standard Eagle Rare offering remains one of the best values in whiskey. Double Eagle Very Rare - a strange if not fitting name - is aged for 20 years and far, far more rare. It also comes in an enormous silver box, and is bottled in a decanter made of pure crystal. Only 200 to 400 bottles are released a year.

O.F.C. Vintages

Price: $3,000 - $10,000

What's so special about it? Early releases were extremely limited and were not so much "releases" as they were Buffalo Trace charity bombs. The distillery gifted and auctioned bottles to non-profits, raising north of $1 million in the process. More recent releases have been made available to the public, but given the age of some of the bourbons released in the collection - some north of 30 years old - they will always be unobtainable to most whiskey drinkers. The name O.F.C. is an abbreviation of Old Fire Copper, which is what the distillery that would eventually become Buffalo Trace was called in the middle of the 19th century.

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving

Price: $10,000 - $14,000

What's so special about it? All E.H. Taylor limited releases are expensive and hard to find, but two bottles are far more valuable than the others. Tornado Surviving bourbon got its name after a storm tore Buffalo Trace's historic Warehouse C to shreds back in 2006. Ninety-three barrels were exposed to open Kentucky weather for months while repairs were made to the building, and those barrels were married together, bottled and sold in 2011. The whiskey inside is the stuff of legends.

The Last Drop (Buffalo Trace, 1980)

Price: $10,000 - $15,000

Released: 2020.

What's so special about it? Less than 250 bottles available worldwide, the 40-year-old whiskey (20 years in the barrel, 20 patiently waiting in steel tanks) is a time capsule. The whiskey was distilled at George T. Stagg Distillery by Gary Gayheart, the teacher of Buffalo Trace Distillery's Harlen Wheatley. The Stagg distillery was renamed Buffalo Trace Distillery in 1999. The whiskeys from this release show us that exceptional bourbon was made even when the market for it was not there.

Willett Family Estate Single Barrels

Price: $1,000 - $20,000

What's so special about it? Willett has a long history in bourbon, and its Family Estate single barrels are among the most coveted prizes in whiskeydom. They're all sourced barrels bought up from other distilleries and they vary dramatically in proof, age and price. Though there are exceptions, typically the older the Willett the higher the price, and some of the 20-plus-year-old bottlings have sold for more than $20,000 a pop.

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Old Fashioned Sour Mash

Price: $17,000 - $20,000

What's so special about it? The first E.H. Taylor limited release is the most valuable by some distance. The whiskey was made using the eponymous "old-fashioned sour mash" technique used by the brand's namesake, Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr., in the late 19th century. The whiskey inside was distilled in 2002 and matured for 9 years before being bottled and hitting shelves in 2011.

Old Rip Van Winkle 25 Years Old

Price: $20,000 - $35,000

Released: 2017.

What's so special about it? A super-rare, one-off release within the most famous collection of bourbon the world over that was made at a historic (and shuttered) distillery. Distilled and barreled in 1989 at the famed Stitzel-Weller plant, Pappy 25-year was moved out of barrels and into steel tanks for a few years before bottling to prevent over-oaking the whiskey. Only 710 bottles were made.

What year was the Hirsch released? It looks like the article cut off. 

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Good on you for drinking it.

When does Midwinter Night’s Dram drop? I’m totally out and would like to get a bottle from this years release.

Usually November if memory serves.

And of course I drank it.  No one knew shit in 2011.  I thought everything was going to be like that forever.

I had a pretty good day.  Stop by one of my regular stores that will call me for allocated stuff from time to time.  Last time I was in there I hadn’t gotten a call but stopped in just to look.  The girl working was talking to a guy that got called and went to the back and brought him a SP 350 ml Blanton’s.  I asked her if there were anymore and she went back and brought one to me.  Today I was just looking again and she walked up to me and asked if I was looking for anything specific.  I said I’m always looking for more difficult to find stuff.  I thought she was just being nice.  She walks to the back and comes back out and says she can’t tell me what is back there but if I guess she can go get it.  I’ve been looking for Weller 12 and Weller FP so I mentioned those and she said nope so I asked if they had any Henry McKenna 10 and she went back to look and then walked out with....

3808BDAD-541F-44D3-B065-1FEFFCBF80C6.thumb.jpeg.002a98b573e1a83832cbe17af703fd0b.jpeg

504E56B5-EB62-4D99-AF47-8F0A8CA5581B.jpeg.6f1e9daf0f3340a0cf2c6c2f90b6ecab.jpeg

I nearly shit myself.  I should probably go buy a lotto ticket.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

I had a pretty good day.  Stop by one of my regular stores that will call me for allocated stuff from time to time.  Last time I was in there I hadn’t gotten a call but stopped in just to look.  The girl working was talking to a guy that got called and went to the back and brought him a SP 350 ml Blanton’s.  I asked her if there were anymore and she went back and brought one to me.  Today I was just looking again and she walked up to me and asked if I was looking for anything specific.  I said I’m always looking for more difficult to find stuff.  I thought she was just being nice.  She walks to the back and comes back out and says she can’t tell me what is back there but if I guess she can go get it.  I’ve been looking for Weller 12 and Weller FP so I mentioned those and she said nope so I asked if they had any Henry McKenna 10 and she went back to look and then walked out with....

3808BDAD-541F-44D3-B065-1FEFFCBF80C6.thumb.jpeg.002a98b573e1a83832cbe17af703fd0b.jpeg

504E56B5-EB62-4D99-AF47-8F0A8CA5581B.jpeg.6f1e9daf0f3340a0cf2c6c2f90b6ecab.jpeg

I nearly shit myself.  I should probably go buy a lotto ticket.  

Humble brag paying in cash. 

• Haha 3

random question, but it will help me with something i'm working on.

i can't remember if it was on here or one of my bourbon text groups or something, but there is some dude, i think in dallas, who's kinda infamous, and has been described i believe as a "super-douche" who either has a lot of money or spends a lot of money or whatever, but he gets all the great bottles, and isn't shy about it.  i believe someone saw bottles on hold for him with post-its with his name maybe, and it was visible to other irritated bourbon guys?

does this ring a bell?  does this person have an instagram page, or is he a facebook groups guy?  and as an aside, are there any other people like this in texas?  that have online/social media personas similar to this, where people hate him who don't even know him?

i can explain more later, but i'm trying to locate a page like this (i'm not getting in touch with the person or anything weird).  i just need it as an example for something.

thanks in advance.

random question, but it will help me with something i'm working on.
i can't remember if it was on here or one of my bourbon text groups or something, but there is some dude, i think in dallas, who's kinda infamous, and has been described i believe as a "super-douche" who either has a lot of money or spends a lot of money or whatever, but he gets all the great bottles, and isn't shy about it.  i believe someone saw bottles on hold for him with post-its with his name maybe, and it was visible to other irritated bourbon guys?
does this ring a bell?  does this person have an instagram page, or is he a facebook groups guy?  and as an aside, are there any other people like this in texas?  that have online/social media personas similar to this, where people hate him who don't even know him?
i can explain more later, but i'm trying to locate a page like this (i'm not getting in touch with the person or anything weird).  i just need it as an example for something.
thanks in advance.

That sounds like BigD’s buddy “Josh Wellerz” or whatever. Can’t remember the charity name though.

• Like 2