Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 8/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, BrazilHorn said:

I picked up a bottle of Double Oaked Woodford Reserve last night. Any one tried this before?

I was gifted this a couple weeks ago. I like it, but hadn't tried it before so didn't even know whether to post it to this thread. Had a few sips last night, I'd rate it at about the $40-45 range myself, not anything to knock my socks off, but flavorful.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is supposed to be released in September. Stay alert. 

wild-turkey-one-masters-keep-2021-toaste

Wild Turkey Master’s Keep One is made up of an 8-10 year-old mid-aged bourbon picked by Jimmy Russell, blended with a 14 year-old bourbon picked by Eddie Russell. The blend is then barreled for a second maturation in new, toasted and charred barrels and aged in one of Eddies favorite timber rickhouses - Tyrone G. It is bottled at 101 proof.

Notes of toasted and charred oak result in an enticing aroma of sweet honey and brown spice, with bold vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel that evolve into a fresh and lingering toasted oak finish.
- Wild Turkey

Master's Keep One will be available starting in September for $175 per bottle.

Edited by Hank Kingsley

15 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Wild Turkey Master’s Keep One is made up of an 8-10 year-old mid-aged bourbon picked by Jimmy Russell, blended with a 14 year-old bourbon picked by Eddie Russell. The blend is then barreled for a second maturation in new, toasted and charred barrels and aged in one of Eddies favorite timber rickhouses - Tyrone G. It is bottled at 101 proof.

Notes of toasted and charred oak result in an enticing aroma of sweet honey and brown spice, with bold vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel that evolve into a fresh and lingering toasted oak finish.
- Wild Turkey

"I only pay that much for Single Barrels"
-  Bourbonbro Chumps

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

- Wild Turkey

People bitched that Master's Keep 17 Year BiB was too oaky/smoky, and Jimmy says hold my beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2021 at 4:50 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Discovery 4 beats the doors off of 3. Buy accordingly. 

I'll respectfully disagree. My preference between these two varies based on the day. It's a close call and both should be purchased if you happen to stumble across either one. I'd take both of them over Disco 5, hands down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I'll respectfully disagree. My preference between these two varies based on the day. It's a close call and both should be purchased if you happen to stumble across either one. I'd take both of them over Disco 5, hands down. 

Too much MGP in Disco 3, 45%. Doesn’t hold up well against 100% Kentucky aged product in Disco 4.

Too much MGP in Disco 3, 45%. Doesn’t hold up well against 100% Kentucky aged product in Disco 4.

Maybe. But so much of 4 is that 15 year Kentucky juice that has been peddled to everyone under the sun. Doc Swinson, Old Bones, Three Chords, Prideful Goat, etc. all use it. Not saying it’s not good whiskey, but it wasn’t good enough for whoever distilled it to sell under their own label.

Again, I love them both. I’ve told countless people that they should be out there hunting all things Discovery, which I’m a bit conflicted about given what they did with batch 5.

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

Maybe. But so much of 4 is that 15 year Kentucky juice that has been peddled to everyone under the sun. Doc Swinson, Old Bones, Three Chords, Prideful Goat, etc. all use it. Not saying it’s not good whiskey, but it wasn’t good enough for whoever distilled it to sell under their own label.

Again, I love them both. I’ve told countless people that they should be out there hunting all things Discovery, which I’m a bit conflicted about given what they did with batch 5.

You could be on to something here. I loved the NASA Doc Swinson’s pick and Prideful Goat. It could definitely be a palate preference. 

23 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I was gifted this a couple weeks ago. I like it, but hadn't tried it before so didn't even know whether to post it to this thread. Had a few sips last night, I'd rate it at about the $40-45 range myself, not anything to knock my socks off, but flavorful.

agree with this.  it's an above average pour for a bottle on most shelves every day.

4 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

f me.  i want that.

I've had pretty good luck getting a bottle of Michter's 10 every year, but this is the first time I snagged a rye. I've always heard the M10 Rye is better than M10, so I'm pretty happy about this. 

From the interwebs : 2021 is an above average year for M10 Rye, and Michter's is releasing it only once this year. 

11 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My bottle of Sam Houston 15 year is pretty disappointing, at least compared to the 14. 

Weird, I would expect greatness from the neural network that generated this word salad:

Release No. 6 of Sam Houston 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is our most aged bourbon offering to date. This entire release was crafted from specific barrels in a private reserve of premium bourbon. Select barrels were sampled and ranked by a hand chosen group of industry insiders and bourbon enthusiasts. No two batches are the same, but the taste profile captured in the barrel sampling process showcases the care and craft utilized in creating this limited and extremely rare bourbon.

Meanwhile on bourbon facebook:
6fa7dc223e0273b058a3108dd9fe58d6.gif

I'd like to personally thank the thread for saving me hundreds of dollars. Thank you for warning me about Disco 5 and Sam Houston 15. 

Does anybody know what's going with Blackwell's? Gary seems like a straight shooter, but $40 shipping for one bottle seems like a pretty serious price gouge. He wanted $120 for a bottle of OBSF + $40 shipping. I love Four Roses SiB BS, but I don't love it at $160. 

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Weird, I would expect greatness from the neural network that generated this word salad:

Meanwhile on bourbon facebook:
6fa7dc223e0273b058a3108dd9fe58d6.gif

I mean, you're not wrong, but my bottle of Sam Houston 14 was pretty nice.

I have liked buying and trying different bourbons/ryes and having an open mind with MGP. Have found some nice under the radar bottles, definitely lots of misses as well. I'm now getting to the point where I can just focus on forging relationships to get some extremely allocated/unicorn bottles, and then reloading on stuff I know is really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I mean, you're not wrong, but my bottle of Sam Houston 14 was pretty nice.

I have liked buying and trying different bourbons/ryes and having an open mind with MGP. Have found some nice under the radar bottles, definitely lots of misses as well. I'm now getting to the point where I can just focus on forging relationships to get some extremely allocated/unicorn bottles, and then reloading on stuff I know is really good. 

Bolded is the sweetspot. And BTW - I admire what they do at MGP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd like to personally thank the thread for saving me hundreds of dollars. Thank you for warning me about Disco 5 and Sam Houston 15. 

Does anybody know what's going with Blackwell's? Gary seems like a straight shooter, but $40 shipping for one bottle seems like a pretty serious price gouge. He wanted $120 for a bottle of OBSF + $40 shipping. I love Four Roses SiB BS, but I don't love it at $160. 

If you spend $300 its free shipping.

So just buy some old standards as well.  That's what I did.  Now I have 2 Blackwells OBSF.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've had pretty good luck getting a bottle of Michter's 10 every year, but this is the first time I snagged a rye. I've always heard the M10 Rye is better than M10, so I'm pretty happy about this. 

From the interwebs : 2021 is an above average year for M10 Rye, and Michter's is releasing it only once this year. 

I like it by itself but it will get smoked by their barrel strength and toasted rye in a side by side.  

This is still my greatest shelf find ever from last summer. Three ‘17 M10R sitting on a shelf at $159.99 each.  

12C2CF97-0C6E-4974-89A7-4C90F338656E.jpeg

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

I like it by itself but it will get smoked by their barrel strength and toasted rye in a side by side.  

This is still my greatest shelf find ever from last summer. Three ‘17 M10R sitting on a shelf at $159.99 each.  

12C2CF97-0C6E-4974-89A7-4C90F338656E.jpeg

Michter's Barrel Strength is great, but much easier to find than M10 Rye, at least in my part of the world. 

I've been drinking/collecting bourbon and ryes since 2017, and this is the first time I've been offered M10 Rye. 

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

Was it empty when you found it?

Nope. $350 at Wiggy's Liquor down on 6th street near Z Tejas. 

I should clarify that I found it by calling basically every liquor store in town that day in a quest to find a Pappy 23. So if you want to say that it doesn't count because I called first, that's fair enough. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Michter's Barrel Strength is great, but much easier to find than M10 Rye, at least in my part of the world. 

I've been drinking/collecting bourbon and ryes since 2017, and this is the first time I've been offered M10 Rye. 

Bless your heart

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t follow this stuff as closely as most of you, but if you wanted to sell the box, decanter, and glasses, what could you get for them?

I actually did sell them and got $550 for it. So basically I was paid $200 to drink a unicorn bottle of PVW23.

Tbh, I wish I hadn’t sold it. Not because I wanted to keep it, but because I’m worried some asshole is going to try to pass it off as the real thing. I didn’t include the original cork topper on purpose but who know what people are willing to do if there is money involved.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, TxTower said:

A younger Weller 12? Lower proof Antique?
I’m intrigued by the the Kosher Rye Recipe Bourbon ( not the straight rye ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosher tastes like Weller 12 to me. I’d like to think I could distinguish the two in a blind tasting, but there’s a good chance I couldn’t. 

The rye recipe is pretty good as well. I ranked the Straight Rye third.