Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Anyone know a whiskey bar in the Dallas area that serves a pour of some of these unicorns? Tired of reading about ‘em all and having no opinion. 

Whiskey Cake in Plano should have Stagg and Handy for $45 a pour. WLW for a little bit more. They’re hit or miss on Old Rip - Pappy 23. 

Heights Biergarten probably has the best collection I’ve seen in Houston. I was there this summer and they had Pappy 15, 20, and 23. Plus almost every allocated Buffalo Trace product. 🤷‍♂️ 

17 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Caught one of my white whales today
9b977ad464349be142abacdb856750a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How?  That's one of mine,  hard to find outside raffle or secondary at 450+

15 hours ago, Constant said:

Anyone know a whiskey bar in the Dallas area that serves a pour of some of these unicorns? Tired of reading about ‘em all and having no opinion. 

Try Taverna Rosa - very solid bourbon list with most unicorns (incl pappy, etc) at decent price points.  

On 8/10/2021 at 1:11 PM, Party_Taco said:

We don’t know but assume 80’s…

Couldn’t find anything related to the batch, so if y’all know how to track down please share!

Meanwhile, caught some good store picks today. The proof on this OF is emoji91.pngemoji91.pngemoji91.png

adcb197273fda7fafd6b5ca6acf13013.jpg

There should be a date stamp on the bottom of the glass. It’s imperfect, but would get you close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Huge score. Got call from buddy of mine that a store he sells to found a box of MWND Act 6 Scene 5. I got three bottles and a Heavens Hill and Elijah Craig toasted barrel. Not a bad day’s work. F42987E7-D7BF-4DF2-8AE0-C171BF3DAFBF.thumb.jpeg.7f5eb3a78ad65126da91b7298fff645a.jpeg

Great score. You're well positioned for the next 3 Christmases. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

kind of a cool way to store.......sunflower seeds...? 

They were showing the difference in mashbill in each whiskey. The "sunflower seeds" is rye. 

Ended up getting 2 bottles of distillery-exclusive ex-sherry cask bourbon and a bottle of their bourbon cask maple syrup. 

Here's what I grabbed. I've really enjoyed the local picks of Woodinville I've had and I'm partial to the sherry cask scotches I've had. 

The disappointing thing is they considered 95 proof to be "cask strength" and charge double what you pay for 90 proof. Alas... 

The maple syrup is out of this world. I'm not a big syrup guy but this shit is like straight up caramel. Fucking delicious. If you ever have a chance, try some. 

20210816_173716.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody been to the Houston Whiskey Social? I just bought a ticket from a friend. 

Honestly, I just want to dry some dusties. Gold foil 101 and gold vein Antique would be awesome. 

i've been three years in a row but we decided to skip it this year.  usually buy the vip ticket plus the pappy or btac tasting.  both well worth it.  

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I bought the VIP Early Bird ticket. 

that extra hour is key.  most of the swag will be gone by 6, but mainly a good chunk of the good bourbon.  four roses usually pulls out some rare shit.  one year brown forman had 6 different years worth of birthday bourbon.  i tried all 6.   pro tip:  use the dump buckets.  there's a shitload of bourbon there, and they give you decent pours.  take a sip and dump the rest out or you'll be a goner before you make it down the first row.  

one of the values of the show to me is the pappy/btac tastings.  for $125 you get 10 ml of all 5.   there are very few bars in the world that even have all 5, but if they did you'd likely pay more than $125.   it's nice to try all 5 side by side.  the first year they let you do both, but now they are at the same time (4-5) so you have to choose.  i've bounced between the btac and the pappy and have done 2 tastings of each in the 3 years i've gone. 

there is a texas room too.  good people in their, though their bourbon is not up to snuff yet.  real ale had an interesting bourbon last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that extra hour is key.  most of the swag will be gone by 6, but mainly a good chunk of the good bourbon.  four roses usually pulls out some rare shit.  one year brown forman had 6 different years worth of birthday bourbon.  i tried all 6.   pro tip:  use the dump buckets.  there's a shitload of bourbon there, and they give you decent pours.  take a sip and dump the rest out or you'll be a goner before you make it down the first row.  

one of the values of the show to me is the pappy/btac tastings.  for $125 you get 10 ml of all 5.   there are very few bars in the world that even have all 5, but if they did you'd likely pay more than $125.   it's nice to try all 5 side by side.  the first year they let you do both, but now they are at the same time (4-5) so you have to choose.  i've bounced between the btac and the pappy and have done 2 tastings of each in the 3 years i've gone. 

there is a texas room too.  good people in their, though their bourbon is not up to snuff yet.  real ale had an interesting bourbon last year.

I'd like to target the dusties. Hopefully they'll have some. 

Was able to get in and buy one of the 75 early allotment of a limited run by Still Austin. Their prior limited editions (I have been able to buy two of the three) were all excellent. This one is a 100% Winter Hawk Wheat Whiskey. Looks like they will be doing an additional lottery for 400 more bottles for a total being sold of 475.

Straight Wheat Whiskey

Fuck pouring it in a dump bucket.
Take some sample bottles with you.
:)

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Was able to get in and buy one of the 75 early allotment of a limited run by Still Austin. Their prior limited editions (I have been able to buy two of the three) were all excellent. This one is a 100% Winter Hawk Wheat Whiskey. Looks like they will be doing an additional lottery for 400 more bottles for a total being sold of 475.

Straight Wheat Whiskey

I want that. I liked their earlier releases 

you folks that love the 4 roses small batch and single barrel (which is basically all of you), do you extend that general favorability to the standard 4 roses?  because that shit tastes vile to me. 

or are they just entirely different kettles of fish?

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:54 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

I’m not sure what is going on with Johnny Drum, but they’ve changed their bottle twice in the last year and the one I had with the new foil wrapper was hot garbage. Found two of the old style that I’m familiar with yesterday in Jacksboro and snagged them both.

How I long for more of the 15 year age stayed heaven hill sourced Drum. Turning the clock closer to current they’ve used HH, Brown Forman and Beam. Turning the clock to couple years ago, they started mixing in very young bourbon, including their own vile distillate that goes into the wretched, undrinkable pot still. The most recent version I tasted from the shelf today tastes much better. Though it still tastes like Willett distillate is in there. Perhaps it’s just gotten old enough where it doesn’t drink like hot garbage. But there was definitely a horrible period for Drum over the last few years. 

• Like 1

you folks that love the 4 roses small batch and single barrel (which is basically all of you), do you extend that general favorability to the standard 4 roses?  because that shit tastes vile to me. 

I’ve tried several Four Roses and for me they all have a distinctive flavor that I can’t handle.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Whoa... whoa... whoa... stop right there. 4 Roses Single Barrel, and 4 Roses yellow label ain’t even the same fuckin' thing. It ain't the same ballpark. Now look, maybe your taste profile differs from mine, but a blend of 200 barrels aged 5 years, and a hand picked single barrel aged 8-9 years, ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin’ sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd like to target the dusties. Hopefully they'll have some. 

there will be a few but don't let your expectations get too high.  mainly it's an opportunity to try 400 or so bourbons without buying the bottle.  try all the belle meades, try all the boone county's, etc.  here's another pro tip after a disastrous first year:  skip the gin and scotch.  the three dont mix.  that's just my advice, and i know it's tempting because they have some great ones, but i've stuck to just bourbons on the last two trips and come out okay.  last year they had some 40yo armagnac and i did sample some of those.  just try not to mix too many liquors is my point.  i wouldnt pass up the armagnacs.   

26 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

there will be a few but don't let your expectations get too high.  mainly it's an opportunity to try 400 or so bourbons without buying the bottle.  try all the belle meades, try all the boone county's, etc.  here's another pro tip after a disastrous first year:  skip the gin and scotch.  the three dont mix.  that's just my advice, and i know it's tempting because they have some great ones, but i've stuck to just bourbons on the last two trips and come out okay.  last year they had some 40yo armagnac and i did sample some of those.  just try not to mix too many liquors is my point.  i wouldnt pass up the armagnacs.   

Haha, I don't think you have to worry about me.