Bourbon

Jimbaround

Ok Surly brain trust, I know there has been talk of bourbon finding in Denver. I'm flying into Denver on Saturday evening, staying out by the airport, have all of Sunday to mess around in Denver before meeting some family in Breckenridge to stay for 5 days there. 

Where is a good spot to grab a few bottles in Denver (or along the way to Breckenridge) to drink up in the mountains? Doesn't have to be super rare stuff, a bottle of blantons would blow their mind I'm sure.

got a friend in carbondale/basalt right now.  been sending me pictures of shelves packed 8 deep with smoke wagon small batch and u/u.  should be able to stock up if thats your jam.
Never actually had smoke wagon, we don't really get it here in ky. I did want to try it

Ok Surly brain trust, I know there has been talk of bourbon finding in Denver. I'm flying into Denver on Saturday evening, staying out by the airport, have all of Sunday to mess around in Denver before meeting some family in Breckenridge to stay for 5 days there. 
Where is a good spot to grab a few bottles in Denver (or along the way to Breckenridge) to drink up in the mountains? Doesn't have to be super rare stuff, a bottle of blantons would blow their mind I'm sure.

If you’re staying near the airport, DIA Liquor Warehouse has always been good to me on stuff I don’t always see at home. MSRP pricing. You can google the other nearby ones, but they’re all markup spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, USCATX said:

Did some great smoking on pork belly burn ends and Costco prime brisket that I finished off with Boutique-y 24 year Heaven Hill, Widow Jane Lucky 13 Spec’s, Woodford 128.3 and a fresh crack Blue Note 17 year Dickel single barrel from Alamo City in SA. It’s barrel proof 94.5 and surprisingly tasted nothing like any Dickel I’ve ever had.  I was calling it a cherry note and my neighbor went with plum, but either way more like a Sazerac product and less like vitamin sadness.  A bit steep at $150, but no regrets on opening it with friends to celebrate America. 

F83AA958-854E-47C4-8F23-4A87FE4EEE68.jpeg

It also won the 4th race at Narragansett.

5 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Not sure of spots to drink at, but if you can find some Mythology, grab it up.  I hear their Hell Bear variety (a blend of rye and bourbon) is really good. 

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Is the smoke wagon small batch worth it? Isn’t it just 5 year old MGP?

I enjoyed the bottle, but won't purchase it again.  

I will auto buy an Uncut & Unfiltered if I see it on the shelf.  Wheelhouse bourbon for me. High rye, 115-120 proof. Love it. 

If you’re staying near the airport, DIA Liquor Warehouse has always been good to me on stuff I don’t always see at home. MSRP pricing. You can google the other nearby ones, but they’re all markup spots.

I'll definitely hit that store up.

I'll be grabbing a smoke wagon u/u if I see it, I can decide if I like it. Worst case I give most of it to the rest of the family.

I'll definitely hit that store up.

I'll be grabbing a smoke wagon u/u if I see it, I can decide if I like it. Worst case I give most of it to the rest of the family.

I’ve had decent luck. Feel like I’ve seen some smoke wagon. Definitely a handful of the desirable barrel proofs, seen some caribou, redemption 10s, loaded up on the rare high wests, etc. All around good spot.

• Like 1

Semi-blind tasting coming up between a 2018 shelf turd (batch 15 Belle Meade), the U/U hype machine and the easiest to find barrel strength MGP (Redemption 10 yr).   Put your bets in now. 

922B7D9E-01EE-4B50-9976-C409A0A25502.jpeg

Edited by USCATX
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Semi-blind tasting coming up between a 2018 shelf turd (batch 15 Belle Meade), the U/U hype machine and the easiest to find barrel strength MGP (Redemption 10 yr).   Put your bets in now. 

922B7D9E-01EE-4B50-9976-C409A0A25502.jpeg

Alight, this wasn’t a tough decision and I’m at Belle Meade all the way.  Noses are all pretty similar except U/U smells a bit grainy while the Redemption has a weird savory note to it and Belle Meade is all tobacco and oak.  Palate, U/U a little hot and sweet, Redemption oakier and weirdly meaty, Belle Meade balanced with cola and tobacco.  Finishes were all pretty similar except a little more oaky on the Redemption.  

The U/U is pretty clearly the youngest of the bunch and I can see why the early no-dash Belle Meade CSR bottles are pulling the most on secondary.  I also poured a little Remus Repeal II at the end and would generally say you’re best off grabbing one of these for $77.99 at TW instead of chasing any of the bottles in the pic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Alight, this wasn’t a tough decision and I’m at Belle Meade all the way.  Noses are all pretty similar except U/U smells a bit grainy while the Redemption has a weird savory note to it and Belle Meade is all tobacco and oak.  Palate, U/U a little hot and sweet, Redemption oakier and weirdly meaty, Belle Meade balanced with cola and tobacco.  Finishes were all pretty similar except a little more oaky on the Redemption.  

The U/U is pretty clearly the youngest of the bunch and I can see why the early no-dash Belle Meade CSR bottles are pulling the most on secondary.  I also poured a little Remus Repeal II at the end and would generally say you’re best off grabbing one of these for $77.99 at TW instead of chasing any of the bottles in the pic.  

Where do you put II against III? I enjoy both but have rebought III twice while passing II on the shelf. Haven’t pulled the trigger on IV yet since it doesn’t seem to run yet.

25 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Where do you put II against III? I enjoy both but have rebought III twice while passing II on the shelf. Haven’t pulled the trigger on IV yet since it doesn’t seem to run yet.

III > IV > II, never had I.  Did you crack that Widow Jane 13 year yet?  They all pale in comparison to that Spec’s single barrel. 

III > IV > II, never had I.  Did you crack that Widow Jane 13 year yet?  They all pale in comparison to that Spec’s single barrel. 

Sounds like we’re on the same page on the Remus with III being up there. The WJ13 is fantastic. A guy in another group posted that the one he had was a bit over oaked, but I didn’t see that with the specs pic I had.

Honestly, not much that is unique on the shelves in Denver. I find better stuff in the mountains. Pricing will be closer to secondary, though.

Honestly, not much that is unique on the shelves in Denver. I find better stuff in the mountains. Pricing will be closer to secondary, though.
Darn, I'll probably try to stop at a few places and get some smoke wagon then and hit up a few places along the way to breck

45 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Seems like everything decent is over $50 now. I went out to grab a couple bottles as thank you gifts, and ended up going with 4RSB for $42. Is there any bang for your buck bourbon any more? Maybe Larceny?

Evan Williams Single Barrel is great and under 30

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Darn, I'll probably try to stop at a few places and get some smoke wagon then and hit up a few places along the way to breck

Antlers Liquor in Frisco has always been good to me. Worth a quick stop on way into Breck as it’s right on Hwy 9 when you get off I70.

• Like 2

Wild. Turkey. Rare. Breed. 

Ha, when you can find it. It has disappeared around me.

The other I didn’t think about is Makers and its variants. I was drinking Makers 46 at a neighbors house on the 4th and I really liked it. Better than the Private Barrel Select even, and the 46 is $32 at Total Wine.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Seems like everything decent is over $50 now. I went out to grab a couple bottles as thank you gifts, and ended up going with 4RSB for $42. Is there any bang for your buck bourbon any more? Maybe Larceny?

Redemption Wheated, Elijah Craig store picks, Old Ezra 7, Dickel BiB 11 yr,  John J Bowman SiB…..getting hit by a truck….Larceny. 

I’ve drank more tequila in the last two months than I have whiskey. I’m at the point right now where the thought doesn’t cross my mind to see what day it is and correlate that with what stores might be getting a “drop”. I’m set on the ones I like, let the taters kill each other in line at 6am at TW, it will all come crashing back to earth in a few years

• Like 6

needed to open some bottles last weekend so had a nice little tasting:

old elk wheated single barrel store pick from houston

filibuster dual cask

ironroot promethian

iron smoke cask strength

this was the order i tasted them in and the order i would rank them in from best to worst.  the last two had something off-putting in the finish. i want to say there is some apple in one of their processes that i did not like.

I’ve drank more tequila in the last two months than I have whiskey. I’m at the point right now where the thought doesn’t cross my mind to see what day it is and correlate that with what stores might be getting a “drop”. I’m set on the ones I like, let the taters kill each other in line at 6am at TW, it will all come crashing back to earth in a few years

There’s so much good tequila in that $30 range. I’ve been doing the same. Casamigos Blanco and Tanteo Jalapeño are my go tos.

Finally landed a Discovery 5.
This one has 25% 17 yr TN (which is more than likely the Blue Note that’s been hitting stores).
Damn good stuff.
b5ba91215ea5ddcad3c5ad70e4e868f9.jpg
Now the only Bardstown I don’t have that I want is the MGM resorts pick. Just can’t pull the $350 trigger.
This is a fucking incredible lineup.
f776c00384c425ea8353f47b77584961.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, stork642 said:

Passed on the Dickel.  Interested just because it was a store pick.  Picked up some Wild Turkey RB instead.  

Wise choice.  Dickel has the weirdest multi-vitimin aftertaste to it.  Wife bought me a Breckinridge Distillery bottle in CO a couple of years ago.  Took one sip, declared it Dickel and forgot all about it.

• Hook 'Em 1