Bourbon

Jimbaround

27 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

We have plenty in these parts - Recommend flying to DC this fall and hitting up Bowman and Sagamore before a trek out to WV to see us stomp the couch burners.

Is the Abraham Bowman Cask Strength available in that area? I'll actually be in DC then Virginia for a week or so in early August. 

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

I need that list please.  

Off the top of my head:

Buffalo Trace store picks

Eagle Rare 

McKenna 10

Evan Williams SiB 

Weller 12 

All of the Buffalo Trace Kosher recipes 

Yes I realize most of my list is difficult to find, but BT picks pop up pretty regularly and Evan Williams SiB is on the shelf everywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Off the top of my head:

Buffalo Trace store picks

Eagle Rare 

McKenna 10

Evan Williams SiB 

Weller 12 

All of the Buffalo Trace Kosher recipes 

Yes I realize most of my list is difficult to find, but BT picks pop up pretty regularly and Evan Williams SiB is on the shelf everywhere. 

Just got a Buffalo Trace this weekend. Very smooth. 

I was talking to a coworker today, and I realized I’m out of a lot stuff. I need to throw myself a stock the bar party. 

Shopping list: 

Bowman Single Barrel

Cheap Maker’s Mark Private Select picks 

OF100

OF Rye 

Jack Daniel’s SiB Rye 

Twin Liquors skipping the Dollar Day Sales this year really screwed me on stocking up. 

I don’t know what it is about the Maker’s Private Select picks. I’ve never had a bad one, and I rip through them. They’re a darned good high proof wheater. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't know what sorcery they used, but Still Austin Cask Strength is pretty darned good. Probably the only Texas bourbon I would recommend right now. 

I don’t mind the regular version, which is somehow roughly equivalent to 4-5 year MGP.  Not sure it would rise above mixer in the collection at cask strength so I doubt I’ll pick it up.  

8 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I don’t mind the regular version, which is somehow roughly equivalent to 4-5 year MGP.  Not sure it would rise above mixer in the collection at cask strength so I doubt I’ll pick it up.  

Oh I wouldn't go out and buy a case, but I'd suggest picking up a bottle. It's only $45. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Neighbor picked up the Booker’s Tagalong Batch yesterday. I was with him and there were two more on the shelf but I’m actually paring down my collection. I should get to try it today though.

Country Ham is his all time favorite, but I didn’t think it was all that.

Did some great smoking on pork belly burn ends and Costco prime brisket that I finished off with Boutique-y 24 year Heaven Hill, Widow Jane Lucky 13 Spec’s, Woodford 128.3 and a fresh crack Blue Note 17 year Dickel single barrel from Alamo City in SA. It’s barrel proof 94.5 and surprisingly tasted nothing like any Dickel I’ve ever had.  I was calling it a cherry note and my neighbor went with plum, but either way more like a Sazerac product and less like vitamin sadness.  A bit steep at $150, but no regrets on opening it with friends to celebrate America. 

F83AA958-854E-47C4-8F23-4A87FE4EEE68.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, USCATX said:

Did some great smoking on pork belly burn ends and Costco prime brisket that I finished off with Boutique-y 24 year Heaven Hill, Widow Jane Lucky 13 Spec’s, Woodford 128.3 and a fresh crack Blue Note 17 year Dickel single barrel from Alamo City in SA. It’s barrel proof 94.5 and surprisingly tasted nothing like any Dickel I’ve ever had.  I was calling it a cherry note and my neighbor went with plum, but either way more like a Sazerac product and less like vitamin sadness.  A bit steep at $150, but no regrets on opening it with friends to celebrate America. 

F83AA958-854E-47C4-8F23-4A87FE4EEE68.jpeg

Thanks for the note on this. I have the 99 proof variety from the same store (they did two picks) and was interested how it is. I have a Blue Note 9 pick from Skip’s and it’s great, so I’m happy to hear the 17 is good too. 

Blue Note seems to be laying their Dickel on the table with these releases. 

3 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Thanks for the note on this. I have the 99 proof variety from the same store (they did two picks) and was interested how it is. I have a Blue Note 9 pick from Skip’s and it’s great, so I’m happy to hear the 17 is good too. 

Blue Note seems to be laying their Dickel on the table with these releases. 

Yeah, I missed on the 99.0 barrel but grabbed a pair of these.  Traded one off and almost wish I’d kept both.  Older, relatively low proof stuff is on a bit of a hot streak with my tastes currently.