Cover letter for a job application

18 minutes ago, Parliament said:

First time I've had to to do this in 20 years.  The company I hope to interview with wants a cover letter.

What do I say in this thing?

Think of it as a way to "fill in the gaps / color"  your resume. A resume tends to be fact oriented (i.e. dates, places), this is your opportunity to discuss in further detail, your experienced. Their are plenty of sample letters online.

And as stated above, include a picture of yourself leaning against a tree.

The people who read this letter will be the most boring people at the company.

So you either want to make it boring, or else Mike Leach Crazy Pirate.

This opinion is coming from someone who has failed to get a full-time job since 2011, despite applying for them.

What is going to make an impression isn't so much what the cover letter says as what it smells like. Write up whatever the fuck lies you want to to cover up for your shitty life but you take that letter and you put it in a box with a nice fresh pizza, overnight. Gotta leave it overnight. Then you send that letter with your resume and I guarantee you you will get noticed, you will get called. You'll stand out. You'll be that guy that sent the resume that got everybody to talkin'. 

Too late to this thread, but for future reference....

Write a simple opening sentence that states, "I'm writing today to express interest in the  {TITLE} position"  Also, always a good idea to add the Req # if there is one.

Then do a simple table below.  On the left side of the table summarize the key position requirements from the job positing or position description.  On the right side of the table describe your experience as it relates to each requirement.

Close with a "thank you in advance for your consideration"

Paypal me the $9.95

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, Parliament said:

First time I've had to to do this in 20 years.  The company I hope to interview with wants a cover letter.

What do I say in this thing?

So, like, your personal and stylized interpretation of an original letter ?

As someone who hires a few people a year, as well as who sits on search committees for higher up positions in other offices/divisions, the cover letter for me is as important as the resume, and I put a lot of weight on (1) if someone applying for a lower-level position includes one and (2) how well applicants utilize the cover letter.

The cover letter is your opportunity to explain to the hiring committee or individual WHY the content of your resume makes you an ideal candidate for their position.  Don't leave your resume up for interpretation...interpret it for them.

In addition, it's your opportunity to showcase your written communication skills as well as your knowledge of the position to which you are applying.  Explain why your experiences and education translates to the unique items of the position.

Never underestimate your cover letter.  Let your resume be lengthy and your cover letter be concise.  I don't mind a 3-4 page resume as long as the applicant can summarize it's applicability to the position in a single page cover letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Describe how you can bring value to the company, what your plan would be from Day 1, and how your work experience has led you to this point in your life where your skills will give them edge over competitor A/B/C.

Then share  your surly post history.