Switching car insurance-accident before new policy takes effect

bluto

Switching insurance providers, new policy takes effect in 6 wks time. Between the time I signed up for new policy and it taking effect I rear ended a car at a stop light. Great effing timing. Very minor damage visible but cars these days even a bad stare at them costs a few grand to fix all the computer shit so claim will be filed.

Do I contact future provider? Let them figure it out through their systems? First time I’ve ever had a claim of any type so clueless to the process in general.

he's asking if he should alert the new insurance before they cover him out of some need for disclosure, not if they're going to cover him for this current wreck. 

Correct. I just need to know if I’m gonna get nailed with some fraud issue if I don’t alert future provider.

Spoke with current provider today and my renewal rate has already been processed for may so I won’t even know what my premium damage will be til October on that quarterly renewal.

New provider would be a pay up front 12 month policy so if I can slide by then it’s a solid save. But don’t want to risk getting hit hard for non disclosure.

Does your new carrier require you to alert them?  What does the policy say?

Insurance carriers always pull loss runs to see what you’ve been up to.  No need to tell them as your rear-ender is your current carrier’s problem.  

Your new carrier is gonna find out anyway.  They always do.  

Edited by deadshank
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Correct. I just need to know if I’m gonna get nailed with some fraud issue if I don’t alert future provider.

Spoke with current provider today and my renewal rate has already been processed for may so I won’t even know what my premium damage will be til October on that quarterly renewal.

New provider would be a pay up front 12 month policy so if I can slide by then it’s a solid save. But don’t want to risk getting hit hard for non disclosure.

Have you reveived a copy of your new policy?  You’re probably ok if it has already been through underwriting.  They run loss reports and driving records at renewal.  You have no duty to self report, you gave them your info and they gave you a rate.  That rate will change the next time it’s up for renewal due to the accident, but that’s on them for post-dating a policy 6 weeks out IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I see your point about not wanting to mislead your future insurer as to your claims history.  But, as has been pointed out a) I don't think there's an affirmative duty to disclose your claims history on an ongoing basis, if at all and b) they have and can get your claims history easily, so it should be a non-issue.