2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Let’s add this to Starfleet’s  greatest hits. This is about Altuve in the MLB thread. I’m a little concerned for him. 

2 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

He also may never hit .300 in a full season again.  It's wild how Altuve has so transformed himself from an empty batting average slap-hitter into a guy who walks and slugs home runs.  Can't imagine there are many players that like that.

Nights like this make you think maybe the Astros aren't as bereft of minor league talent as the ranking services would have you believe. Guys like Straw, Jones, Toro, and McCormick never got much credit as prospects yet they've done better than expected overall. 

Just now, cabowabo said:

What is up with all the vacation time for our radio and TV announcers? These guys don't get enough vacation during the off season?

Yeah they've all been cramming it in the last couple of weeks. Kalas should take some shit for taking time off for his bday but at least there's plausible deniability with the holiday weekend.

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Nights like this make you think maybe the Astros aren't as bereft of minor league talent as the ranking services would have you believe. Guys like Straw, Jones, Toro, and McCormick never got much credit as prospects yet they've done better than expected overall. 

I think Straw and probably Toro are legit major leaguers. I’m not impressed at all with Jones and McCormick probably isn’t ready but if he can reduce the Ks he could stick in the majors. 

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

The whole point of Brooks Raley is dink and dunk hits at worst. I'm a defender. If he starts giving up home runs as well, I'm off his bandwagon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

He’s been very good all season. Maybe the smartest signing Click has made in his tenure and I hope they resign him. 

55 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Jones is ass dude. He has 2 hits today neither of them hard enough to break a pane of glass. He’s not good. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jones is ass dude. He has 2 hits today neither of them hard enough to break a pane of glass. He’s not good. 

Maybe but I've seen him hit at AAA and he has power in his bat. Whether it translates to the next level is the $500k question. 

3 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

He’s had some poor batted ball luck but his underlying numbers are all rock solid.

He’s also striking out nearly 30% of the hitters he faces so he’s not just a “dink and dunk guy”. 

You're not wrong.

I really do wish Dusty would bring him in to start innings clean instead of putting him in leverage situations because he's not succeeding with runners on base. I have faith in his ability to get batters out but not when he comes in with risp.

19 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Maybe but I've seen him hit at AAA and he has power in his bat. Whether it translates to the next level is the $500k question. 

He’s shown some power in AAA since they’ve gone to the MLB ball, but I don’t know how much that means. Honestly AA seems like a harder level to hit in compared to AAA now when you look at the pitching stats at each level. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So what is a better stat than ERA and WHIP?  The Gourmand eyeball test?

FIP, BB%, K%, barrel %, exit velos etc

WHIP as well. ERA is the last metric I value with relievers. Not saying it doesn't have a place but ERA in context with relief pitchers isn't that informative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

FIP, BB%, K%, barrel %, exit velos etc

WHIP as well. ERA is the last metric I value with relievers. Not saying it doesn't have a place but ERA in context with relief pitchers isn't that informative. 

How about this one?

What a shitty babip inning.  I thought Correa could have flipped to 2nd in time there but maybe it would have been too awkward with the way his momentum was carrying him.

Edited by WBT