2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

It’s hard to describe my rage seeing Taylor Jones bat, and yet that pales by comparison to seeing ROBLES get any shine. 
It’s  absurd that either of them are on our ML roster and the fact that Dusty has played Tobles multiple times over Toro makes me want to beat him with a tire iron. 
yet every time I truly bitch about the lineup we win, so...

i know 20 games in 20 days and guys need days off and people have kids and family members die and sides and shoulders hurt, but holy shit dusty baker continues to play jenga with this lineup and somehow we haven’t collapsed. 

maybe let’s just not talk about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i know 20 games in 20 days and guys need days off and people have kids and family members die and sides and shoulders hurt, but holy shit dusty baker continues to play jenga with this lineup and somehow we haven’t collapsed. 

maybe let’s just not talk about it. 

When they play shitty teams, they need to have the starters out there.  If opponent is in 1st or 2nd in their Division, then they can trot out that SugarMaid Lineup and kick ass.

This season has been weird AF with the way cellar dwellers have stomped the Astros.

Games started in the middle of the summer and the ABs accrued accordingly by guys like Taylor Jones, Robel Garcia, Abraham Toro, and Chas McCormick only help the team in the long run. We all know who the starters are and what our best lineups should look like in October, but there's a decent chance one ore more of these guys will find themselves in the batter's box in an important situation in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Dusty running a lineup with all these guys out there as a group on a regular basis, but the injuries and babies on the way aren't something he can control so I'm ok with giving these dudes some opportunities to get better at the ML level.

I get it, we're fans and we're gonna bitch because that's in our fan DNA, but banging on Taylor Jones seems overly reactionary imo. He has a whopping 74 at-bats at ML level so it's pretty silly to make a snap judgment and close the book on his Astros career based on that miniscule sample size. In 2018 across 153 AA/AAA games and 452 ABs, he slashed .281/.374/.480. He struggled when he got called up to AAA Fresno (.672 OPS over 39 games) but he made a nice adjustment in 2019 and slashed .291/.388/.501 over 125 games. In 13 games at AAA Sugar Land he's .347/.450/.571 (1.021 OPS). Obviously the guy has some hitting ability, but he hasn't faced enough ML pitching yet to know if he will make the necessary adjustments or if he's just another AAAA jag.

However, the Astros player development success over the last 7+ years suggests to me that they know what he can do and the organization thinks he's a future major-league regular, either at 1B or as a utility bat who can fill in at multiple defensive positions (with the caveat that he needs work on the defensive side). A similar case could be made for Robel Garcia. who only has 144 career ab.

Do y'all not remember how badly Tucker struggled when he was called up? Or Toro? Hell, look at Straw's improvements and adjustments. These players need enough at bats vs ML pitching and game experience before you're throwing them on the DFA pile.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Games started in the middle of the summer and the ABs accrued accordingly by guys like Taylor Jones, Robel Garcia, Abraham Toro, and Chas McCormick only help the team in the long run. We all know who the starters are and what our best lineups should look like in October, but there's a decent chance one ore more of these guys will find themselves in the batter's box in an important situation in the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Dusty running a lineup with all these guys out there as a group on a regular basis, but the injuries and babies on the way aren't something he can control so I'm ok with giving these dudes some opportunities to get better at the ML level.

I get it, we're fans and we're gonna bitch because that's in our fan DNA, but banging on Taylor Jones seems overly reactionary imo. He has a whopping 74 at-bats at ML level so it's pretty silly to make a snap judgment and close the book on his Astros career based on that miniscule sample size. In 2018 across 153 AA/AAA games and 452 ABs, he slashed .281/.374/.480. He struggled when he got called up to AAA Fresno (.672 OPS over 39 games) but he made a nice adjustment in 2019 and slashed .291/.388/.501 over 125 games. In 13 games at AAA Sugar Land he's .347/.450/.571 (1.021 OPS). Obviously the guy has some hitting ability, but he hasn't faced enough ML pitching yet to know if he will make the necessary adjustments or if he's just another AAAA jag.

However, the Astros player development success over the last 7+ years suggests to me that they know what he can do and the organization thinks he's a future major-league regular, either at 1B or as a utility bat who can fill in at multiple defensive positions (with the caveat that he needs work on the defensive side). A similar case could be made for Robel Garcia. who only has 144 career ab.

Do y'all not remember how badly Tucker struggled when he was called up? Or Toro? Hell, look at Straw's improvements and adjustments. These players need enough at bats vs ML pitching and game experience before you're throwing them on the DFA pile.

GTFO with your reason and patience.  This is a fan thread.  We don’t do that here.  

• Haha 1

Jones is 27 and a 19th round pick. 
Robles is on his 4th team in 12 months. They suck. It’s not at all like any of the guys who struggled that they were compared to who had pedigree, money and age on their side. 
those guys are sub replacement level and shouldn’t ever get an AB on this team. 
I’d rather Pedro Leon get struck out for two solid weeks and at least be exposed to the majors than 1 more time watching Jones or Robles show their ass. 

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d rather Dusty allow Greinke to hit for himself than to DH Robles. I say this with 100% sincerety. 
Greinke is Probably as good a hitter as Robles and he loves to hit. 

Oh stop Wulaw, Robel only has 144 career at bats (with 72 this season) and he's hit 6 HRs and a .615 OPS. He has two doubles and a HR with 8 RBI in 31 games this season. Yeah, he's struggled at the plate but the only way he can improve is if he's playing and the upside potential of him getting needed at bats is far more valuable than the downside risk of Greinke standing in the batters box and possibly running the bases. Imagine Greinke getting hit on the hand/wrist in an AL park all because you'd rather him hit than a utility player with minimal ML experience. That's crazy. In his last meaningful AAA stint--2019 Iowa Cubs-- Robel Garcia slashed .281/.361/.585 over 76 games with 21 HRs and when he got called up by the Cubs that year he had a .775 OPS with 5 HRs in 31 games....and  you'd rather Greinke hit today?????

Bruh. 

Edited by Gourmand

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Oh stop Wulaw, Robel only has 144 career at bats (with 72 this season) and he's hit 6 HRs and a .615 OPS. He has two doubles and a HR with 8 RBI in 31 games this season. Yeah, he's struggled at the plate but the only way he can improve is if he's playing and the upside potential of him getting needed at bats is far more valuable than the downside risk of Greinke standing in the batters box and possibly running the bases. Imagine Greinke getting hit on the hand/wrist in an AL park all because you'd rather him hit than a utility player with minimal ML experience. That's crazy. In his last meaningful AAA stint--2019 Iowa Cubs-- Robel Garcia slashed .281/.361/.585 over 76 games with 21 HRs and when he got called up by the Cubs that year he had a .775 OPS with 5 HRs in 31 games....and  you'd rather Greinke hit today?????

Bruh. 

You are underestimating how fun it is to see a pitcher get a hit. Greinke is one of the 5 best hitting Pitchers alive. Way more fun. 

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jones is 27 and a 19th round pick. 
Robles is on his 4th team in 12 months. They suck. It’s not at all like any of the guys who struggled that they were compared to who had pedigree, money and age on their side. 

as opposed to Chas McCormick,  the highly regarded draftnik prospect and bonus baby who everyone knew had a role on a ML team in his future?

I'm starting to think that maybe the Astros scouting department and development gurus kinda know what the hell they're doing......

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Who has Chas McCormick ALROY Darkhorse on their bingo card?

So

Castro, Gurriel, Atuve, Correa, Bregman, Tucker, Straw, McCormick, Jones, Alvarez, Stubbs, and Toro were all developed by the Astros. Not bad at all.

And of course JD Martinez, Marwin, Ramon Laureano, Teoscar Hernandez....