2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

For the month of June, Myles Straw was tenth in the AL in fWAR.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

In the spring, I suggested that if Straw can get on base 1/3 of the time, and add value on the bases and in CF, then he'd be a valuable (enough) player. 

At the halfway point, he's got a .344 OBP and positive baserunning and defensive metrics per Fangraphs and B-R, and has 1.6 and 1.2 WAR respectively (FG seems to value his defense a bit more). 

Not sure if he can keep this up offensively, but if this is really who he is, he's all right. 

His defense and baserunning are somewhat disappointing considering his overall profile, even though they are positive (you'd hope they'd be better), but taken together he could be about a 2-win player, meaning a league average-ish starter. Given the rest of the lineup, I think this is what Click et al were expecting/hoping for from Straw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Austin Pruitt started for the Skeeters in Round Rock last night and went 2 IP with 1 H 1K 0 BB 0 R. He threw 18 pitches and 15 were for strikes. Joe Smith pitched the third inning and had all zeroes and 1 K, only needed 11 pitches. 

Joe Smith could throw 30 hitless innings in the minors and I still don't want to see him again 

As bad as this bullpen has been this year, there's a decent chance that we have  some huge upside potential returning off the IL in the next month or so between Pruitt, James, and Baez. I can't believe Austin Pruitt actually exists and now he's pitching rehab assignments....

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I blame that dipshit Oilers offensive lineman for this.  He started this whole concept of Athletes (and men in general) having to be there for the birth of their children.  I mean, sure, if it's an off day I get it. Or if the wife can manage to squeeze it in sometime between 3:00 pm on friday and Sunday afternoon for regular people, but otherwise for athletes this is what the offseason is for, and for normals this is what the weekend is for.  

40 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Lmao I knew Dusty would still give someone off today even though Yordan is getting off.

Jesus Christ if we win tonight with that 5-9 then LMJ must be dealing

E5UWdQFXMAACcKX?format=jpg&name=900x900

My fucking brain is burning just thinking about all the ridiculousness of this lineup.  We basically have 7 all stars, Straw and a catcher.  I count us down to 4 above average players, a Myles Straw, 2 Jags, a disaster that sucks shit through a straw and a catcher. 

Not great Bob, not great (every time I think this or type it we win by eleventy.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I blame that dipshit Oilers offensive lineman for this.  He started this whole concept of Athletes (and men in general) having to be there for the birth of their children.  I mean, sure, if it's an off day I get it. Or if the wife can manage to squeeze it in sometime between 3:00 pm on friday and Sunday afternoon for regular people, but otherwise for athletes this is what the offseason is for, and for normals this is what the weekend is for.  

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

26 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I don't think this lineup is that bad. Taylor Jones can't play any other position but first base at the ML level and Dusty is determined to get Brantley as much rest as possible defensively. 

Man you are drunk early.  

• Haha 1

btw scraps there's an implied under the circumstances caveat to my earlier post. 
I miss Yordan already.
Yeah it was more the comment of "i don't think this lineup is that bad"

In general it is absolute dogshit. Based on what we have available its what we got. So yeah in that way i guess its "not that bad" lol.

The upside is that at least Taylor Jones gets some useful at bats. I'd like to think a guy getting called up and immediately inserted into the lineup gets a vote of confidence from his manager and organization.

Edited by Gourmand

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My fucking brain is burning just thinking about all the ridiculousness of this lineup.  We basically have 7 all stars, Straw and a catcher.  I count us down to 4 above average players, a Myles Straw, 2 Jags, a disaster that sucks shit through a straw and a catcher. 

Not great Bob, not great (every time I think this or type it we win by eleventy.  

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF